Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Old 14th May 2010, 00:19   #16
BHPian

Why don't you check a Corolla Altis AT in the market? Great features, nice backseat comfort, toyota reliability and the convinience a slushbox. I recently took a '08 Corolla AT for 7.5l

Quote:
I do realize prices in mumbai or delhi are way cheaper, but don't you think it is quite impractical, considering the effort involved, the additional road tax to be paid in karnataka, it seems like a difficult and rather impractical proposition.
Yeah, I agree with you. But there are some solutions if you see. If you check GTO's Civic thread, he has mentioned the number of a car broker at Mumbai. You might need to tell him your budget, the car you prefer. He would TD them and arrange good cars for you. All you need to do is fly (or drive which we TBHPians prefer) to Mumbai and check them But then, you would need to deal with the road tax. Still you might get more options + cheaper deals.
prateekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 00:36   #17
BHPian

Would personally prefer civic over Altis.
Will follow the general advise of many in this and other threads and look for an accord '07 or '08, looks like should come in my budget (2.4 AT), will keep other options open too.
Thanks and cheers.
sumeet007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 12:15   #18
BHPian

I think it's a fair buy if you really like the car for one single reason - Bangalore. You have mentioned that the new car costs 28l on road in Bangalore. I guess there is a 17% road tax on vehicles costing >15l in Bangalore. In that sense alone Bangalore prices are not comparable to Delhi prices where I think the tax is 4% only.

If you are willing to live with the high cost of spares and the resale value you should go for it if the car has good hsitory. And IMO most definitely stay away from buying in another state and trying to get it registered in Bangalore. In the end you may end up saving next to nothing after going through the process.
Cesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 13:16   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
I think it's a fair buy if you really like the car for one single reason - Bangalore. You have mentioned that the new car costs 28l on road in Bangalore. I guess there is a 17% road tax on vehicles costing >15l in Bangalore. In that sense alone Bangalore prices are not comparable to Delhi prices where I think the tax is 4% only.

If you are willing to live with the high cost of spares and the resale value you should go for it if the car has good hsitory. And IMO most definitely stay away from buying in another state and trying to get it registered in Bangalore. In the end you may end up saving next to nothing after going through the process.
One of my friends bought his new skoda from pondicherry a few years back and went through such torture when he was asked to pay some humongous amount in life tax and some penalties etc, he contested it in court and last I know the matter was not resolved and he lost so much peace of mind that he has vowed never to buy from another state.
I saw the original receipts of the camry and on road price with insurance in Sept. 2007 was 27.5 lakhs for this vehicle. I had thought I had a good bargain on this car till I got the feed back from all you gurus, and am now thinking of putting it on hold and try for a accord or civic.If this camry had come with warranty for 2 years I guess it would still be a good buy.!
Old 14th May 2010, 23:57   #20
BHPian

Default Confusion compounded!

Hate to bring it up again, but needed to share experience with a new car I chanced upon and drove today.
A colleague of mine brought his brand new skoda Laura (2.0 D) in shining black to work today and we went for a long drive away from city traffic in the evening.
Apparently this new car has just replaced the 1.8 D which is being phased out.
Fit and finish is pretty good, but no leather seats. Most trappings in a luxury car I believe are there, and importantly the car I felt was very responsive and a pleasure to drive, handling was good, audio system (with bose speakers) was excellent,huge boot space and back seat leg and head room was excellent, and to top it all it promises 17 kms/lit, I could not believe a car of this size could be so fuel efficient!
Confusion is because it comes tantalizingly close to my stretched budget, and my friends say go for a new one, and you will have complete peace of mind, this car needs first free service apparently only at 15,000 kms.
He got this for on road price of 16.5L.
Would this be the best proposition at 15- 17L range?
Old 15th May 2010, 01:19   #21
Team-BHP Support

well the laura dosent have bose speakers . and the main point. its not going to be cheap to maintain, no matter what anyone says. maybe sometimes people on tbhp do go too far with the skoda bashing, but the a.s.s isnt exactly great. but, if you do want a laura why not the 1.8tsi? its cheaper than the diesel and will be around 14l or so. it is also fast, and will give better mileage than the camry and the accord you were looking at.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2010, 07:57   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
well the laura dosent have bose speakers . and the main point. its not going to be cheap to maintain, no matter what anyone says. maybe sometimes people on tbhp do go too far with the skoda bashing, but the a.s.s isnt exactly great. but, if you do want a laura why not the 1.8tsi? its cheaper than the diesel and will be around 14l or so. it is also fast, and will give better mileage than the camry and the accord you were looking at.
Thanks, so the sales guy has pulled a fast one on the bose part!
I don't know how skoda never came in the differential diagnosis, so to say till now.
There is a nissan Teana (Read good things about it in other threads), 2009 with less than 6K on the clock asking for 15L but negotiable, but will let it pass for now.
Will check out the specs on the petrol Skoda, but would it be the same as the 2.0D except for the engine? Is it a bit underpowered for this car?
Old 15th May 2010, 14:41   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeet007 View Post
Thanks, so the sales guy has pulled a fast one on the bose part!
I don't know how skoda never came in the differential diagnosis, so to say till now.
There is a nissan Teana (Read good things about it in other threads), 2009 with less than 6K on the clock asking for 15L but negotiable, but will let it pass for now.
Will check out the specs on the petrol Skoda, but would it be the same as the 2.0D except for the engine? Is it a bit underpowered for this car?
my friend the laura 1.8tsi is 160bhp. it flies. im not totally sure about the features it offers.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2010, 14:59   #24
BHPian

Quote:
This one seems way to low.
For a 25+ car with 6 k on the odo, and asking price of 15 lakh that to negotiable. There must be something wrong. And if there isn't and its the new shape, I'd say buy it.
akshaymahajan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2010, 15:05   #25
Senior - BHPian

Camry is an absolutely wonderful car.
50,000 KMS in 3 years and Not one single problem apart from the usual consumables like tyres,brake pads etc.
Average Service Costs 7000 a year. Max i have spent is 10k for a service.
vinaydas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2010, 18:59   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
Camry is an absolutely wonderful car.
50,000 KMS in 3 years and Not one single problem apart from the usual consumables like tyres,brake pads etc.
Average Service Costs 7000 a year. Max i have spent is 10k for a service.
vinay, thanks for your reply, I agree it is a very good car, having driven it while in US.
Being from b'lore, where you know the reality of quoted prices for preowned to be much much higher than elsewhere especially Delhi, would you say the price quoted is fair?
Camry (W2AT), 2007 sept 07, 27K on odo, excellent condition, interiors as good as new, asking for 15L, and minus my city (10 yr.old), need to pay 12.5L, not negotiable.Is it a fair deal for B'lore, so far most gurus point out,
1. Cost is on higher side even for B'lore.
2. Being CBU cost of repair and consumables is very high.
3. Low FE, (I can live with it).
4. Poor resale,(I might keep it for minimum of 4 to 5 years).
PS: I think I saw some fabulous photoes of your white camry in some thread, it has certainly kept you smiling.
Old 15th May 2010, 19:02   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
This one seems way to low.
For a 25+ car with 6 k on the odo, and asking price of 15 lakh that to negotiable. There must be something wrong. And if there isn't and its the new shape, I'd say buy it.
I have asked my friend for more info on it, have told him I might be interested if it is the new model and that too,XV!
Old 18th May 2010, 21:27   #28
BHPian

Update on my car hunt.
Don't quite understand the prices of preowned cars in b'lore.
I got to see two good camrys with following specs.
1. 2008, W2AT, 16K kms, 19.5 L
2. 2008, W2 AT, 18K kms, 18.5 L from toyota trust.
3.Audi A4 (demo car) from company,2007, for 35 L.
4.Audi 2008, 30K kms, 24.5 L.
All way above other metros!
Looks like the original offer is the best I can get if I stick to camry, no good accords right now(2007 onwards).
Old 18th May 2010, 22:25   #29
BHPian

Default Camry

Quote:
I am a practicing physician and have been reading this wonderful forum for over a year, and am amazed at the collective knowledge bank this forum offers and the high quality of opinions, which are unbiased and sincere.
So decided to join the forum and am a proud BHPian (newbie) now.
Request opinions from the pros, for a current offer.
I have a 10 year old honda city which I have used for past 4 years, has given me good, reliable service with little other than regular service and once a change of the entire silencer assembly.
I wanted to upgrade/change my city and started with a budget of 10 to 11 lakhs.
Considered new ANHC but in the showroom when I sat in the civic lost my heart to it and started to look for preowned civics, was in process of finalizing a good civic AT 2008, run 24K well maintained,but alas came to know it was involved in an accident and had major repairs done.
Meanwhile have now seen a Camry (W2AT) 2007 model, 27 K done with asking price of 17L,single owner, company registered (owned previously by toyota kirloskar), have brought it down to 15L, and trading in my old city for 2.5L, I need to pay 12.5L. The car is in excellent condition and am yet to run it through the toyota dealership for a thorough check( Have told the dealer that the deal will be through only after it is checked and found genuine).
I must say I was simply impressed by the camry as opposed to the civic(I realize they are in different segments) and require the opinions of gurus in this forum about the deal (Have now stretched my budget to be able to make the deal).
Thanks in advance.

I would defenitely say with Toyota, you will be associated with peace of mind. THe similiar is the case with Honda as you already know. Since you are not the person who just hops on one car to other rather keep it long term, I wont think there will not be much resale issues even though resale takes a beating compared to Honda.

Is the 2007 model, the revamped one, I believe. If not I hope it won't generate much interest, and not much head turner is the old one. great pick up, smooth ride, great car to be driven in, although not the most exciting to drive. As is the case with Toyota, the shut lines, paint job and material quality are top notch here.

Also since you have driven Honda, your logical upgrade I believe should have been a ANHC or Civic, for you to continue your experience of butter smooth engine. You would have noticed most Camry is with big Hotel groups, Chain of Restraunts, since it comes under EPCG scheme. It is almost half the price I believe.

Also heard that Auto transimission is not all that fool proof, some niggling issues will have to live with. Parts are fully imported, so expect a expensive visit to service centres.

Not to dampen your spirit, but the only Toyota model I have seen with less Resale is Camry. This was because of above said expensive repairs, and rattling and squeaks was common with Camry, after prolonged mileage. Corolla is a better bet anytime than Camry.

That is my cents on Toyota Camry. Also Sumeet, in case you have not yet sold your Old Honda city, would you be intrested if I can have a look at it. Its sometime I was looking for a upgrade from my jelly bean zen.

rgrds
prsn
prsnck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 13:19   #30
evo
BHPian

The pricing is wacky in Bangalore. Used Accords in good condition go for 6L here in Calcutta. An Accord at 6 Lakhs vs Camry of similar vintage at 17 lakhs. Wheres the confusion?
evo is offline   Reply With Quote