Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Old 4th June 2010, 14:47   #61
BHPian

Well the dealer says 2003 but I guess that's the year of import passed off as year of manufacture. Haven't seen the papers as I wasn't interested.
Vajra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 15:34   #62
BHPian

Vajra,

My two pennies worth.
I'd go with the Germans any day, if maintenance costs is not the most important issue. A Bimmer, if cleared by an authorised BMW dealer would be ideal for a petrol/diesel head.

If the Jetta 1.9 TDI Comfortline with the DSG is still in your sights, maybe my thread Got My Jetta might help. I've just completed my first service ( and have done approx. 12 k kms) and have nothing but smiles. Of course it is not a high profile car as a Bimmer/Merc or even the Accord, but it is a very stable highway cruiser and very well built.

Regards
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 20:43   #63
BHPian

Thanks for the pennies Issigonis! I have read your thread.

I am getting the Accord for the weekend to get a feel of it.

I have another Jetta (March 2010) manual offered for 13.5.

Didn't hear from the dealer after I offered 13.5 for the DSG!!

Guess I'll check out the Accord and mull over options.

Getting lots of 2007 320d's at 16ish in varied states. Thats my pref really. Lets see.

Last edited by Vajra : 4th June 2010 at 20:50.
Old 6th June 2010, 11:43   #64
BHPian

It seems like you're more into the Germans. If I were you, I would go in for a BMW 320d and before purchasing it, take into BMW Service centre for quick check-up. After purchasing the ride, get the BSI+R package, where you won't have to worry about getting ripped off for servicing et all. You can then lead a tension-free life with the Beemer.
krazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 12:19   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyking View Post
It seems like you're more into the Germans. If I were you, I would go in for a BMW 320d and before purchasing it, take into BMW Service centre for quick check-up. After purchasing the ride, get the BSI+R package, where you won't have to worry about getting ripped off for servicing et all. You can then lead a tension-free life with the Beemer.

BUT can any one please elaborate as BSI R pack is for 3 and 5 years i dont think BMW will give this package from the date this car is bought for 3 and 5 years but only from the date of manufacture so if the car is 2007 model almost 40 months are gone out of 60 month package

But yes
IF BSI is available from 36 or 60 months from today ( which looks highly unlikely to me and that makes this package useless for a 3 year + old car ) then there can be nothing better then Buying a USED BMW 320D for 15 lacks
And then there is even better deal to have 525 D from 22 to 25 lacs But sadly BSI looks good for for NEW to 1-2 years old BEEMER only
rubin2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 20:18   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubin2006 View Post
BUT can any one please elaborate as BSI R pack is for 3 and 5 years i dont think BMW will give this package from the date this car is bought for 3 and 5 years but only from the date of manufacture so if the car is 2007 model almost 40 months are gone out of 60 month package

But yes
IF BSI is available from 36 or 60 months from today ( which looks highly unlikely to me and that makes this package useless for a 3 year + old car ) then there can be nothing better then Buying a USED BMW 320D for 15 lacks
And then there is even better deal to have 525 D from 22 to 25 lacs But sadly BSI looks good for for NEW to 1-2 years old BEEMER only
From what I believe, the BSI+R package is an extended warranty that can be purchased anytime during your ownership of a BMW. For example, my BMW is a 2008 model, but I just recently purchased a warranty for 5 years/60,00kms.
krazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 20:53   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...i dont think BMW will give this package from the date this car is bought for 3 and 5 years but only from the date of manufacture so if the car is 2007 model almost 40 months are gone out of 60 month package.
One small change. It's valid from the date of purchase i.e. the original date of invoice. For example, suppose the first owner bought the vehicle on Jan 1, 2005. You buy it from the first owner on Jan 1, 2008 and purchase the 5-year BSI at the same time from BMW. The BSI will still be valid only upto January 1, 2010 and NOT Jan 1, 2013 because original date of invoice is Jan 1, 2005.

Quote:
From what I believe, the BSI+R package is an extended warranty that can be purchased anytime during your ownership of a BMW. For example, my BMW is a 2008 model, but I just recently purchased a warranty for 5 years/60,00kms.
Yes, but it works in the way I've explained above and not for a period of 3/5 years from the date you purchase the plan (unless you're the first owner and purchased the plan on the same day as the date of invoice).
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 22:36   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
One small change. It's valid from the date of purchase i.e. the original date of invoice. For example, suppose the first owner bought the vehicle on Jan 1, 2005. You buy it from the first owner on Jan 1, 2008 and purchase the 5-year BSI at the same time from BMW. The BSI will still be valid only upto January 1, 2010 and NOT Jan 1, 2013 because original date of invoice is Jan 1, 2005.

Yes, but it works in the way I've explained above and not for a period of 3/5 years from the date you purchase the plan (unless you're the first owner and purchased the plan on the same day as the date of invoice).

Yes flying spur this exactly what i meant other wise half of the people will not buy a skoda , civic ,corolla accord but buy a 3 series for 16 lacks or 5 series for 22 lacks and enjoy the 5 year warranty from there date of purchase ( this is so good to be true to maintain a 3 years old BMW for 1.5 lacks for 5 years most manufactures will make some money in some cases the car has to be maintained for 3 to 5 years )

But even BMW will end up making loss if they offer 5 year warranty for a 3 years old car which is going to be 8-9 years old by the time bsi packs is expired so not
at all practical giving this offer

not even maruti will maintain a ALTO for 9 years for 1.5 lacks leave alone BMW though in some markets some manufactures give upto 8 -10 years warranty but not in India

More over these big 3s are notorious to make customer shell out 1.5 lacks for 2-3 visits and reapairs , they know half customers will not change the car till there is peace of mind for
not getting those scary repair bills

Last edited by rubin2006 : 7th June 2010 at 22:41.
Old 7th June 2010, 22:49   #69
BHPian

Quote:

Yes boss but your warranty is valid till 2013 and not 2015 and the 60000 kms start from 0 and not from the date you got BSI package so if your BMW has done 30000 KMS you have only 30000 to be covered under the package or 2013 which ever is early

More over BMW should have offered
100000 kms and not 60000 kms at the first place
Old 8th June 2010, 08:19   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
More over BMW should have offered 100000 kms and not 60000 kms at the first place.
There are four BSI options.

3 years / 60,000 km
3 years / 90,000 km
5 years / 60,000 km
5 years / 100,000 km which I have on my car.

I think that's as realistic, comprehensive and considerate a range of options as any carmaker can be expected to provide.
Old 8th June 2010, 14:45   #71
BHPian

Well assuming the BSI is transferable, logically it makes sense to pick up a 2-3 year old car with a 5 year package in place.

When did the BSI package get introduced?

Would anyone know the percent of Beemers sold with 5 year packages?
Old 8th June 2010, 15:45   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vajra View Post
Well assuming the BSI is transferable, logically it makes sense to pick up a 2-3 year old car with a 5 year package in place.
Well, it depends on your perspective. I wouldn't spend 2-3L on a 5-year package for only 2 years' coverage. You might possibly end up spending less in the remainder of those 5 years.

Quote:
When did the BSI package get introduced?
I guess it was when BMW entered India in 2007.

Quote:
Would anyone know the percent of Beemers sold with 5 year packages?
Only BMW would answer that question from you. I've heard from salesfolk that Secure is more popular than BSI, for some reason.
Old 8th June 2010, 16:21   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post

Only BMW would answer that question from you. I've heard from salesfolk that Secure is more popular than BSI, for some reason.
Reason being that the Dealers push Secure since they make a hefty profit on insurance and the package itself. With BSI, the dealer earns only Rs.2500 rest all is credited directly to BMW India.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 17:17   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Reason being that the Dealers push Secure since they make a hefty profit on insurance and the package itself. With BSI, the dealer earns only Rs.2500 rest all is credited directly to BMW India.
BTW here's something interesting. The BSI packages are supposed to be fixed prices and priced by BMW themselves, right? Atleast that's what I thought. You remember, I mentioned to you on the phone that one dealer was charging me 13k more than the other for the 5-year / 100,000 km BSI on my car? I find that quite ridiculous. Making a cut even on the BSI plans.
Old 8th June 2010, 17:36   #75
BHPian

Yes i agree with adil, looks very dated now. And i think 20 is 2 much for this car. It should be more like 16 or so. but then again depends on rarity and there arent many of these around.
YSooSeriouss is offline   Reply With Quote