Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Old 14th July 2010, 04:31   #1
BHPian

Exclamation Which Car for a 30 Lac budget ?

Well, to start with, I have completed my 3 years course, graduated and come back home since a year now.

The Problem :- For a whole year have been striving to find that perfect car. Since, I was studying in Dubai, Options for cars here are almost nothing and their value is horrendous. Further to add to my misery, INDIA DOESN'T HAVE LEXUS.

A bit of background :- We have a Mercedes S class and a fortuner there (dxb).
I have patiently waited for the Fortuner to release here and lets just say its been a complete disappointment. The same car there costs peanut and honestly is used for house chores. I expected Toyota to have some nice gizmos in the car but they actually managed to make an excellent car pathetic by making horrendous cosmetic changes and just giving an additional feature of climate ac's for more then double the price. Then waited for chevrolet to launch the cruze which again was a disappointment. Don't get me wrong the car is awesome but the clutch is a little bit too short for my liking.

So without complaining further i guess i am down to the following choices:-
1. Skoda Laura L&K - Already own the old version and very very happy with it.
2. Skoda Superb
3. BMW 3 series
4. Audi A4
or wait for Lancer Evolution X
Outlander is also an option

I am going to turn 23 next month and need a car for my personal use. Driving is my passion since childhood. I really enjoy speed and personally can only drive fast (You may argue but the only 2 times that i was ever slow have met with life threatening accidents. The only 2 that i have ever had in 11 years). I live in Mumbai and the traffic is pathetic to say the least. I fear that waiting for any of the good cars to come, or the WTO act to be enforced and drop the import rate to 4%, or wait for Lexus IS 300 to come, will only keep me waiting. What according to you will be my best option ?

Thanks in advance, for all your replies.
irulee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 05:24   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by irulee View Post
I really enjoy speed and personally can only drive fast (You may argue but the only 2 times that i was ever slow have met with life threatening accidents. The only 2 that i have ever had in 11 years)
Who can argue with that fact?
In any case - Personally I like the C class in this price range, good luck in picking your dream car. I am sure you will post pics later.
prasadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 06:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

Buddy, your oroginal post has the answer and I was going to advise the same for you when I read the thread title. Wait for the Evo, you will be the dude around!
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 10:34   #4
Team-BHP Support

You wont get any A4 in that price but there is the 320d Corporate Edition, but it is stripped of most gizmos, and gizmos seem to matter to you. The skoda superb V6 should be just a little bit over your budget, and if you ask me that is the car to go for. A 3.6l 260ps engine, and lots and lots of gizmos. The EVO X according to me, wont be within 30 lacs.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 11:00   #5
BHPian

EVO X would cost you wayyy more than 30l...somewhere around 45.Also what exactly are you looking out for in order of priority in terms of performance/comfort?The two examples of the fortuner and the cruze are as different as chalk and cheese IMHO

Last edited by octane1002 : 14th July 2010 at 11:02.
octane1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 16:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

You want to drive fast, in a city like Mumbai.
You value gizmos.
You will be driving, and not be driven around.

In that case, look at the:
- Passat 1.8 TSi
- Mitsubishi Outlander
- Superb V6
- pre-owned A4
lamborghini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 16:32   #7
BHPian

C200 CGI (my pick, ticks all the boxes. Test drive it. Phenomenal Acceleration. ~35 lac on road.)

Other options are..

Laura TSI (cheap)
Superb V6 (most power)
holysmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 10:59   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by irulee View Post
Further to add to my misery, INDIA DOESN'T HAVE LEXUS.
Tell me about it. The one luxury marque I'm really waiting for.

Quote:
I am going to turn 23 next month and need a car for my personal use.
1. VFM : Skoda Laura TSI. Brilliant car to drive on the open road. Cost about 1/2 your budget and leaves a lot of room / $$$ for modifications (Skodas are usually very mod friendly). Poor after-sales & reliability record though. In Mumbai, stick with JMD (the only good dealer).

2. New : BMW 320d. But honestly, the 3 series is getting long in the tooth now. It's also the oldest of the bunch. What I recommend instead....

3. Pre-worshipped (i.e. pre-owned) : E60 (previous generation) BMW 530d. Stunning car to drive, stupendously quick, insane mid-range. This is probably one of the quickest ways to get from point A -> point B in India. Practical, fast and a diesel. My choice overall.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 21:37   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I think although your budget can go way beyond what I'm suggesting, I think your best bet would be a Laura 1.8 TSi. Spend the rest of the money on modding the heck out of it.

You could also get a pre-owned 325i maybe? It will satisfy your need for speed and driving preasure.
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 22:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

So are we saying that the 530d is a better buy than the E280 CDI ?? Given that they are both the same age ??
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 22:41   #11
BHPian

Else i would suggest
1. Used Cayenne
2. New Laura 1.8 TSU
3. New Superb / Accord V6 3.0
4. C200 CGI
5 Used CL or 6 Series?
acidkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 00:05   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidkill View Post
Else i would suggest
1. Used Cayenne Will be at least 5 years old and only the base V6
2. New Laura 1.8 TSU Good suggestion but half the price.
3. New Superb / Accord V6 3.0 Superb is 3.6 and Accord is 3.5
4. C200 CGI Will come to almost 40 on road.
5 Used CL or 6 Series? Best of luck. Not a chance ul get a 6 series forget a CL for 30
Replies in bold to your suggestions.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 09:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

i would second GTO on this 1. 530D , Gizmos, killer looks (still looks NEW), you would get an e60 530D pretty easily in the used market if you look properly IMO...last but not the least...that engine. This is 1 car from the lot suggested to you in which you would actually have to watch your foot before pressing on that accelerator.
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote