Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Old 4th October 2010, 11:19   #1

Default Used BMW 316i from classifieds section

I am planning to buy used BMW 316i which is posted in classifieds section.
Team-BHP Classifieds - BMW 316i - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

I have seen fellow BHPians posts of their BWW 316i and impressed with the work they have done.
BMW Gurus please advice me, can i go ahead of buying the same.I will be using it in Bangalore.

Yearly approximate maintainance costs involved , mileage, Spares in bangalore.

Regards,
Aun.
arun.r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 11:47   #2
Team-BHP Support

1: It is a great car, nice to handle but it is slow especially in auto form
2: 4 owners - be prepared to drive it till it dies as not many takers for when you move on unless the price is low
3: Life time tax - find out the total value of the car on the bill of lading issued by customs after clearing. You will have to pay 0.18 (LTT on value of car) * 0.3* maximum depricating allowed. So if the car was worth 10 lakhs landed in 1995, you need to pay Rs 54000 as life time tax. Think hard on this point
4: Spares are not a problem - find a good mechanic - dealer will charge but you may need to wait for a specific part
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 09:32   #3

Thanks Ajmat for all your valuable suggestions,
I have spoke to owner,docs not up to date, need to discuss with RTO agent and then i will decide.
Old 5th October 2010, 09:45   #4

1: It is a great car, nice to handle but it is slow especially in auto form

* Slow - Pickup ..? *

2: 4 owners - be prepared to drive it till it dies as not many takers for when you move on unless the price is low
* I am planning to use it for long time *

3: Life time tax - find out the total value of the car on the bill of lading issued by customs after clearing. You will have to pay 0.18 (LTT on value of car) * 0.3* maximum depricating allowed. So if the car was worth 10 lakhs landed in 1995, you need to pay Rs 54000 as life time tax. Think hard on this point

* Need to think and check about this *

4: Spares are not a problem - find a good mechanic - dealer will charge but you may need to wait for a specific part
Old 5th October 2010, 22:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun.r View Post
I am planning to buy used BMW 316i which is posted in classifieds section.
Team-BHP Classifieds - BMW 316i - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

I have seen fellow BHPians posts of their BWW 316i and impressed with the work they have done.
BMW Gurus please advice me, can i go ahead of buying the same.I will be using it in Bangalore.

Yearly approximate maintainance costs involved , mileage, Spares in bangalore.

Regards,
Aun.
This is a 15 year old Delhi registration car. I think that the road tax has to be paid after 15 years any way. All that is required to be investigated is if it is an accident car or not. Tyres also seem to be due for change. Thus expect an additional cost of at least 30-60k over the asking price.

Older cars had paper registration. The newer ones are on a card. Hence if the card is not yet made, add another time consuming hassle for changing ownership.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2010, 11:12   #6
BHPian

You will fork out a lot to re-register/LTT or pay overdue duties (suspect grey market import so no BOE).

Recommend you look at a Indian make '96/'97 W124 E220 Merc which has a sub 10 sec to the ton, easy to source parts and trouble free. You can even check out Sundaram's pre-owned division to get a certified car.
AirWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2010, 03:48   #7
BANNED

Umm, I would pass this on. The 316 isnt really what you call quick or peppy. Look for atleast a good 320, or the holy Graille.....the 325i
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2010, 05:10   #8
Team-BHP Support

Having just used an e43 316i auto, you really need to work it hard to get anything out of it. nice chassis though
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote