Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Old 9th October 2010, 16:53   #31
Senior - BHPian

From one Cedizen to another, I would like to steer you towards another Japanese major whom you have mentioned too viz. Nissan and the vehicle would be the Teana. If a safe cocooned luxurious ride at the back coupled with superb driving ergonomics for the times when your father is at the wheel are the primary requirements then I would suggest that you get Nath motors to give you a test drive.

I am not mentioning regarding what goodies the car has, as almost everything that you could think of is a given and then there are some unusual features that simply take the whole experience to another level. What I will mention is that if you consider this make, banish any misgivings regarding the A.S.S. & availability of parts etc. The strength of Nissan's supply chain can be gauged from the fact that I was able to get accessories for the Micra a couple of weeks before the actual launch of the vehicle and this for the smallest vehicle on their palette. Enough said for now, look forward to reading about your td experience.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 16:32   #32
Senior - BHPian

@CarFan: You kept the selection quite open and thus the replies vary. There is no narrowing up the gap, I think you need to point some more must have and will do features so that the community can help you precisely.

As of now my suggestion too is Skoda Superb 1.8TSI Cheers!
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 17:54   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post
The way you started off, it looked like you are deciding between M800 and alto. . If your parents are looking at the segment you mentioned, their thoughts are not really of middle class.
+1 to it. By the end of the post I was feeling either the definition of middle class is changed or I was wrong in thinking that I belong to middle class all this time.

I don't have any suggestions as I don't know much about the cars in that segment but surely will follow this thread to know what was the car your parents chose.
shipnil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 15:15   #34
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Fan View Post
They are retired, in their mid 60s, living in Delhi and confused.
What they need is a comfortable car that is suited to self & chauffeur-driven patterns. Please ensure you choose an automatic transmission, whichever the car. They'll love you for it.

For 12 - 14 lakhs, pick the automatic petrol Altis. An extremely user-friendly car you can't go wrong with.

For 18 - 22 lakhs, pick the automatic Accord or Superb. The former will provide trouble-free ownership, sofa of a backseat and is surprisingly easy to drive. The latter will give your father the European luxury & equipment he is looking for.

Quote:
He did show some interest in the 320d CE
It'll break his back &, as you mentioned, is way too cramped. Not worth the $$$.

Quote:
He also showed interest in the Honda CR-V
An overpriced CBU. Avoid.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 15:19   #35
Senior - BHPian

You can also consider the outstanding Nissan Teana if there is a dealership nearby. Suits most of your requirements to the 'T'.
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 15:32   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
You can also consider the outstanding Nissan Teana if there is a dealership nearby. Suits most of your requirements to the 'T'.
Indeed a very good suggestion. The new model that I saw about 2 or 3 months back was absolutely amazing with eveything being looked for.
NevGin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 15:04   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Please ensure you choose an automatic transmission, whichever the car. They'll love you for it.
A very valid point to bear in mind, when choosing cars for the elderly, who in all probability might not share our interest in slotting through gears and will also make driving so much less strenuous in traffic. Reason why we decided to shift from the Estilo to A-Star AT for the in-laws, inspite of higher cost, lesser rear/boot space.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2011, 14:18   #38
BHPian

Default Re: Middle class guilt and the car buying decision

Update: Today, almost a year following this discussion, my father drove out of a showroom with his brand new silver Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8G. This is of course the more powerful and (IMO) better-looking 2011 version, so the delay was worth it!

In the end it came down to a choice between the Altis and the petrol Hyundai Sonata Transform, but my father went with the Altis after a friend warned him that his own Sonata is a fuel guzzler.

Thanks to all once again.
Car Fan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2011, 15:06   #39
Team-BHP Support

Cool stuff! Is it the 7-speed AT or the manual version?
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2011, 16:53   #40
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Middle class guilt and the car buying decision

Quote:
Update: Today, almost a year following this discussion, my father drove out of a showroom with his brand new silver Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8G. This is of course the more powerful and (IMO) better-looking 2011 version, so the delay was worth it!
So did he go for the automatic Altis? Congratulations on the buy.

In what way is the Altis better looking and in comparison to what car?
ghodlur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2011, 19:40   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

In the end it came down to a choice between the Altis and the petrol Hyundai Sonata Transform, but my father went with the Altis after a friend warned him that his own Sonata is a fuel guzzler.

Oh, a very wise decision indeed! Congrats on your new acquisition! Post a detailed review of the vehicle asap. Was the diesel Altis considered or petrol variant per-decided?
sachinj12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2011, 20:33   #42
BHPian

Quote:

Congrats Friend. Altis is anyday better than Sonata as some of my friends too have complained of sonata guzzling up fuel that goes worse in the long run.

Do post us a detailed review as all of us are eagerly waiting for it
kirantp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 00:56   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Cool stuff! Is it the 7-speed AT or the manual version?
It's the manual version -- the automatic version is the 1.8V I believe. My father chose the petrol version since he doesn't drive enough to justify a diesel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
So did he go for the automatic Altis? Congratulations on the buy.

In what way is the Altis better looking and in comparison to what car?
I meant it is better looking than the previous Altis -- particularly the front aspect.

Will post a review in the near future although since it isn't my car I will have to first get my hands on it!
Car Fan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 01:08   #44
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Car Fan!!!

Altis is a much better car when compared to the Sonata. Having owned a Corolla until a few months back, I can vouch for the quality and service offered by Toyota. Wishing you and your dad a wonderful ownership experience. Looking forward to the ownership thread.
MAS is offline   Reply With Quote