Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2011, 00:13   #16
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Coimbatore / MENA
Posts: 673
Thanked: 973 Times
Default Re: Buying Advise - LR4 / Cayenne / X6

Since you already have a Q7 and a RR Sport, and are considering something like a Nissan Patrol, I take it you are looking for something different.

Would you be happy with a run of the mill Cayenne?

Heard that the Mercedes G55 is going to be available from Feb11 onwards, albeit, at a higher price range (1.35 Cr?).

There is nothing more gangsta or out of the box than the boxy G55.

My 2 paisa.
gthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 08:54   #17
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Kollam, Kerala
Posts: 29
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Buying Advise - LR4 / Cayenne / X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Since you already have a Q7 and a RR Sport, and are considering something like a Nissan Patrol, I take it you are looking for something different.

Would you be happy with a run of the mill Cayenne?

Heard that the Mercedes G55 is going to be available from Feb11 onwards, albeit, at a higher price range (1.35 Cr?).

There is nothing more gangsta or out of the box than the boxy G55.


My 2 paisa.
The G55 is my cup of tea but I heard its getting phased out soon... true?
perfectfluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2011, 21:34   #18
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Buying Advise - LR4 / Cayenne / X6

The cayenne is definitely out. Leaning towards the X6. what say guys
Rangerover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 00:59   #19
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sahil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,200
Thanked: 2,086 Times
Default Re: Buying Advise - LR4 / Cayenne / X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerover View Post
The cayenne is definitely out. Leaning towards the X6. what say guys
Def not an upgrade from the q7. You will dearly miss the audi's space
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 20:58   #20
BHPian
 
Yeldo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Kochi
Posts: 719
Thanked: 644 Times
Default Re: Buying Advise - LR4 / Cayenne / X6

May I suggest you try the Toyota LC200? Since the Range Rover is already there for "bling" effect, the TLC200 shall be a right choice. It is definitely an upgrade from the Q7. Though it is not as posh, the quality, level of comfort, the driving experience all are better than the Q. And lots of toys and gadgets too, if you feel so inclined. The Mercedes G55 offers better performance due to its AMG engine, but on all other counts, the TLC might be enough of a match.

Since you are looking at the back seat, the X6 is not even worth a cursory look. The new Cayenne is said to be having better rear seat, but after a Q7, it might not meet your expectation. I am yet to travel in a LR4, so cannot comment on that.

And the new Nissan Patrol is still LHD only, if I'm right. You'll have to wait. I've seen it in Dubai, simply blows you over. Mammoth, plush, uniqe looking. But you'll have to wait till it's launched in South Africa or Australia.

Last edited by Yeldo : 12th January 2011 at 21:00.
Yeldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 16:32   #21
BHPian
 
Mike89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: San Diego, USA
Posts: 153
Thanked: 40 Times
Default Re: Buying Advise - LR4 / Cayenne / X6

If you are llooking for a driver's car and dont care about space...X6 is the best option... Unless you are looking to go offroading ... if thats the case x5 would out do audis mercs and porsches any day....

X6 is the best looking crossover imo.
Mike89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 17:34   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
PlatzdaTurbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,304
Thanked: 314 Times
Default Re: Buying Advise - LR4 / Cayenne / X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike89 View Post
... if thats the case x5 would out do audis mercs and porsches any day....

X6 is the best looking crossover imo.

I dont really know which cars are you comparing the X5 to over here when you call the X5 a good off-roader
All of BMW's SUVs are great in driver involvement and have infact been praised for their non-confused identity of sorts , i.e of being tarmac focused. I agree with the first part when you say that for a driver's SUV the X6 would be good but i would also add the X5 to the same category. The X5's off-roading capabilities are highly limited due to various factors some of them being lower ground clearance compared to the other mammoths , tarmac focused tyres etc.
I dont really know how the X5 would go up against the Cayenne as far as off-roading is concerned but then i havnt really heard of either of the 2 being used for hardcore off-roading. They are best left off showing off their capabilities ON tarmac.
But there is no doubt about the fact that all - the RR, LC and Q7 & GL are better off roading SUVs than the X5 from BMW.

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 9th March 2011 at 17:35.
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 18:05   #23
//M
Distinguished - BHPian
 
//M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 4,185
Thanked: 8,561 Times
Default Re: Buying Advise - LR4 / Cayenne / X6

The Range Rover would have been the perfect choice, but since you already have a Range Rover Sport so you can consider importing a Lexus LX570. Its refined, powerful, comfortable, has a higher snob value than the near-perfect Land Cruiser and it will also set you apart from the crowd. Looks smart too.
//M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 14:44   #24
BHPian
 
Mike89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: San Diego, USA
Posts: 153
Thanked: 40 Times
Default Re: Buying Advise - LR4 / Cayenne / X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
I dont really know how the X5 would go up against the Cayenne as far as off-roading is concerned but then i havnt really heard of either of the 2 being used for hardcore off-roading. They are best left off showing off their capabilities ON tarmac.
But there is no doubt about the fact that all - the RR, LC and Q7 & GL are better off roading SUVs than the X5 from BMW.
I agree,Cayenne is not meant for offroading.. its a flagship suv model. The same is with BMW's X6. It the two were to be compared on a rough terrain, cayenne would definitely come on top. And as far as audi goes in offroading, Q7 is in no way better than X5. BMW's xdrive has time and again proven better than the quattro, be it x3 vs q5 or x5 vs Q7 (take it on a rough terrain and you will know the difference yourself). More over the weight and weight distribution of Q7 is a big issue if you are looking to go offraoding. Q7 has never been used for hardcore offroading to my knowledge. Q7 is a luxury suv like GL. Heavy, powerful, lot of room. not really made for off roading. Even ML is better than GL and Q7 in that terrain.
I never talked about RR(he already has one) as i know it trumps them all in offroading.(may be not in the looks).. ANd LC is not in the same league so i wouldn't say anything on that either.

Last edited by Mike89 : 10th March 2011 at 14:51.
Mike89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 22:58   #25
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 313
Thanked: 121 Times
Default Re: Buying Advise - LR4 / Cayenne / X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike89 View Post
... BMW's xdrive has time and again proven better than the quattro, be it x3 vs q5 or x5 vs Q7...
CHeck this out:

xDrive vs. Quattro video Autojunk.nl (48807)
BeamerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2011, 07:16   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
PlatzdaTurbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,304
Thanked: 314 Times
Default Re: Buying Advise - LR4 / Cayenne / X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike89 View Post
And as far as audi goes in offroading, Q7 is in no way better than X5. BMW's xdrive has time and again proven better than the quattro, be it x3 vs q5 or x5 vs Q7 (take it on a rough terrain and you will know the difference yourself). More over the weight and weight distribution of Q7 is a big issue if you are looking to go offraoding. Q7 has never been used for hardcore offroading to my knowledge. Q7 is a luxury suv like GL. Heavy, powerful, lot of room. not really made for off roading. Even ML is better than GL and Q7 in that terrain.
.
The absence of adjustable air-suspension & low-ratio transfer box (pre facelift version) on the X5 along with lower ground clearance in comparison and tarmac focused tyres is why i judged it to be the worst off-roader.
Though i haven't driven either of them anywhere apart from tarmac so i wouldn't go into too much of detail.
About the Q7/GL doing a better job off the road, well i said it simply because i read it. Have a look -

Monsters Inc - Q7 3.0TDI vs X5 XDRIVE30D vs GL350CDI vs LC200 V8 - Comparison Tests : Overdrive

Of course they need not always be right but the conditions to which they subjected the cars is pretty convincing.
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2011, 11:16   #27
BHPian
 
Mike89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: San Diego, USA
Posts: 153
Thanked: 40 Times
Default Re: Buying Advise - LR4 / Cayenne / X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
The absence of adjustable air-suspension & low-ratio transfer box (pre facelift version) on the X5 along with lower ground clearance in comparison and tarmac focused tyres is why i judged it to be the worst off-roader.
Though i haven't driven either of them anywhere apart from tarmac so i wouldn't go into too much of detail.
About the Q7/GL doing a better job off the road, well i said it simply because i read it. Have a look -

Monsters Inc - Q7 3.0TDI vs X5 XDRIVE30D vs GL350CDI vs LC200 V8 - Comparison Tests : Overdrive

Of course they need not always be right but the conditions to which they subjected the cars is pretty convincing.
I see where you come from. I am not quite aware of Overdrive magazine but Somehow i sense biased attitude in the article just because i have seen many reviews from international magazines and websites saying X5 is better off-roader.
Mike89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying Advice - X5/Cayenne D/RR Sports manu7781 Luxury, Imports & Niche 9 13th February 2011 11:42
Cayenne GTS or BMW X6? EDIT : Decided on Cayenne! shreyas28 Luxury, Imports & Niche 32 18th August 2009 16:35
Pics: Silver Cayenne V6 and White Cayenne with spare wheel behind (update 13/05) Dippy Super-Cars & Imports in India 48 26th June 2008 21:57
Wanted: Cayenne S or Cayenne turbo. v10 Shifting gears 1 27th October 2007 17:56
Interested in buying a Porsche Cayenne. Reviews anyone? Vulken Auto SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 28 7th April 2006 18:26


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:16.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks