Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Old 24th January 2011, 01:51   #1
BHPian

Default Buying Advice - X5/Cayenne D/RR Sports

Hi Guys,

I need some buying advice on a Premium SUV.

In our family we have a Honda Jazz, Skoda Laura (L&K) along with Honda Civic (sold recently). And now we are looking for a replacement for Honda Civic. Since I am currently in Canada and the new car that we are looking for will be driven rather sparingly. Currently Skoda Laura is his Daily drive and Jazz is used as second car for daily errand by our family. Due to this reason I am trying to convince him to buy a Premium SUV which can be used for Weekend Getaways and likes.
I suggested him following SUVs as an options –
1. BMW X5 3.0d
2. Porsche Cayenne D
3. Range Rover Sports

The vehicle is for self driving, needs to have good rear leg room space. We don’t like the Audi Q7 even though it has a very capable 4.2TDI engine in it. I will request you guys to advice us about the owning and maintaining these rides as this will be our first premium ride.

Few other questions regarding these vehicles are –
1. How long does it take for delivery after making a booking?
2. It would be great if someone can guide us about the on road price for each of these vehicles.

ManuC

Last edited by manu7781 : 24th January 2011 at 02:00.
manu7781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2011, 10:32   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Buying Advice - X5/Cayenne D/RR Sports

You or your dad will have to go to the respective dealers and see the cars, and only then decide.

The on road price depends on the options you take. The base prices given are usually without options, and when you choose most options the price could go up by even 10 lacs. Again delivery depends on the options and the colour you choose. If you like what the dealer has in stock you will get delivery soon, otherwise the wait could be a few months.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2011, 11:11   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
You or your dad will have to go to the respective dealers and see the cars, and only then decide.

The on road price depends on the options you take. The base prices given are usually without options, and when you choose most options the price could go up by even 10 lacs. Again delivery depends on the options and the colour you choose. If you like what the dealer has in stock you will get delivery soon, otherwise the wait could be a few months.
Thanks Akshay for your reply.. Test drive for each of the vehicle mentioned in the post is on the card but it will be done by my Dad as I am not in the country.

I will appreciate if you and other TeamBhpians with their vast knowledge can give input on comparing these vehicle.

ManuC
Old 24th January 2011, 11:18   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

My order of preference:
1.RR Sport
2.Cayanne D
3.X5
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2011, 18:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

If you want a rugged vehicle at home both on tarmac and of it, the Range Rover followed by the new Landcruiser is the best bet.

All these vehicles are CBU, so their availability depends on the stock with the company. Some like Porche are ordered from the factory only after you choose all the options, some may be imported on anticipated sales.

It is best to go to the dealers and get the latest options, price and delivery times.

Personally I am not in favour of the X5 specially if it comes with RFT, except for its badge value, but then the Range Rover scores on that.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2011, 17:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

I have not driven the RR Sport, so no comments but between the X5 and the Cayenne D, I would choose the Cayenne D with my eyes shut, it's a new car, very very good interiors, amazing driving dynamics, the new car looks very imposing and Porsche India can customise your car like no other.

Delivery time of a Cayenne is about 4-6 Months, but if you get lucky you might just get a car in stock sometimes.

X5, is mostly available in stock with most BMW dealers, you might have little choice in terms of colours.

RR, I have no personal experience with their dealerships so someone else can better answer.

I don't know about on road prices of the cars but in Ahmedabad they can cost close to 75 lac INR with nice and decent options. Cayenne can shoot up a lot as they have a very detailed option list.

I do not know about delhi but in Ahmedabad we pay double RTO for CBU cars, but I believe in Delhi you can register it at Haryana to avoid costs and perhaps bring your on road cost lower?

Regards,
S350L-E240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2011, 12:24   #7
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

My suggested order in this segment

Porsche Cayanne D
Merc R Class
Merc G Class
Q7
X5
RR Sport
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2011, 22:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

How is the Cayenne D? With the diesel engine? Is it recommended over a regular Cayenne (no S/Turbo/GTS etc.)
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2011, 22:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

lamborghini,

Have not tried the turbo on the new model, and as of now I don't think GTS exists, but drove the S and the D and trust me if you plan to buy and if you intend to stick to the diesel, do not, I mean DO NOT drive the S, it is so amazing that driving the diesel after the S feels like a serious downgrade, but on a serious note do drive it, I never liked the Cayenne in it's previous generation but this one the minute you sit in it feels so good and special.

And if you intend to test drive both, I really recommend you do the Diesel first, so not to feel as let down as I felt when I drove the S first.

Regards,
S350L-E240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 11:42   #10
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

Thanks alot for all the replies... Here is an update.. Dad tested both Porsche Cayenne and X5. He dismissed X5 due to its ride quality but he really liked Porsche CayenneD. RR Sport was not tested as he didnt liked the look of the vehicle.. Earlier we were thinking of booking porsche by end of this month but it looks like it will have to wait for a while.. Plan has changed a bit..

Now either it will be white with cinnimon Brown interior 530D or white with tan brown interior E350CDI Avantgarde. Both Models are available and can be picked within a week. Dad is inclined towards E350 since he liked the interior of Merc and he is little apprehensive toward BMW since it only comes with RFTs.

E350 will come with Rear Seat Entertainment System and now they come with maintainence package similar to BMW BSI.

What other option can be loaded on to E350. Any word of caution regarding Merc as I have heard they are unreliable incomparison to BMW.

Suggestions & Comments welcome.

Thanks,
Manu Chawla

Last edited by manu7781 : 13th February 2011 at 11:43.