Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Old 10th July 2011, 20:06   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Decent Vehicle in 22 to 30 lakh bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLuck View Post
I run around 2k km per month and plan to keep the car for around 5 years or so; Car is chauffer driven, and I mostly sit in the back, but drive on Sundays. Family size is 4 including myself, but rear seat comfort is important. Wife drives an I-10 ( Auto ) and refuses to drive any larger car.

I'm staying with Skoda, despite horrible service from dealers ( later post in appropriate thread ); Decision is between a Superb Petrol 1.8 TSI AT and Diesel ( only AT offered ) ; Current car will go to the dealer in a buyback - Office policy: I cannot do a private sale. As expected the dealer is offering only 2.5 L for the car...
Passat is a newer car, but if you have to stay with Skoda, I will suggest going with diesel Superb. And since the car will be chauffer driven, the Superb indeed is a great choice.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 11:39   #32

Thanks for the advice everyone; I did look at the Passat, but due to the significantly higher cost of the loaded version, as well as smaller rear seat space, preferred the Superb.

I was told that this edition of Superb is cannibalising sales of Passat in Germany/Austria when I was there last; Apparently is has been over spec'd in fitments etc., and the next iteration will be a little less equipped, to retain the brand differentiation

Car has been booked today; Delivery is expected in 2 weeks. Moca Brown ( it actually looks like a metallic black ) is

Sorry for incomplete post: Now continued...

the colour of choice.

Thanks again to all who came through with comments / advice.

Last edited by Jaggu : 12th July 2011 at 12:16. Reason: Back to back post, please use EDIT once the posts are approved. Thank
InLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 19:38   #33
BHPian

Default New Passat (Comfortline) OR Skoda Superb 2.0 TDI (AT)

Guys,
Badly stuck between these 2 choices.
1) New Passat (Comfortline).
2) Skoda Superb 2.0 TDI (AT).

It will be Purely self driven. Decent upkeep cost. The car will be kept for long run. Since my previous cars were sold in 3 years time. Hence planning to keep this for atleast 7 years.

Thanks in advance for all your replies.

Last edited by aah78 : 15th July 2011 at 18:54. Reason: Please Do Not start multiple threads on the same topic. Thread merged with existing. Discussion can be continued there.
jayeshdamle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 11:22   #34
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: New Passat (Comfortline) OR Skoda Superb 2.0 TDI (AT)

Very tough decision. But i would stick with the Passat though Superb is just "SUPERB". My reasoning is that Passat is new, comes with latest R&D and VW would have corrected whatever issues they had with previous series.

Since its self driven the rear seat comfort is the last priority and Passat is not bad in that. But there is no car in this segment that can provide rear seat comfort as a Superb.

Passat has everything you can ask for and looks and feels far more comfortable.

Experts may help you on this, if the transmission boxes in Passat and Superb are same or different.

I feel even the DSG has gone through some minor modifications for the passat.

OVerall a newer car compared to the older Superb.

My pick is Passat.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 12:04   #35
BHPian

+1 to VW2010
And
The Passat also comes with a bump up in power - now to 160 or 170 bhp.
Plus, the Skoda horror stories are always there to remind you to stay away.

Cheers.
Cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 12:41   #36
BHPian

Hi jayesh, considering the price gap between the two (i reckon 2-3lacs OTR), if its value for money and fab interiors and options, Superb is the way to go. Yes the VW Passat is newer and not many around ,more refined than the Superb but then its also more expensive. Both offer similar driving pleasure, given their pedigree.

So if you dont have budget constraints, VW is the way to go..or plonk your money down on the Superb and have some money left in the bank.
TRANSAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 13:38   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeshdamle View Post
Guys,
Badly stuck between these 2 choices.
1) New Passat (Comfortline).
2) Skoda Superb 2.0 TDI (AT).

It will be Purely self driven. Decent upkeep cost. The car will be kept for long run. Since my previous cars were sold in 3 years time. Hence planning to keep this for atleast 7 years.

Thanks in advance for all your replies.
Please list what's important for you in a car? Before recommending a car for you we should know how important are certain things like Space, Comfort, Performance, Driving Involvement, running costs, usage, residual value, snob value, road presence...etc.

Surprisingly, Superb for a car focussed on rear seats comes with stiffer setup suspension and better steering, on the go it feels more driver focussed but long wheelbase spoils the game. Going by the past record, Superb should get the 170hp engine soon.

Passat is less focussed on rear seats, so it should be sharper to drive, which it is not compared to the Superb. Good part is the Ride in Passat is softer and it comes with the more powerful state of tune(170hp). Personally i do not like the VW's conservative design language.

If Driving pleasure is more important than Space and Size, go in for either BMW 3 series or X1. Both of these are not spacious and do not have as comfortable Ride but are huge fun to drive with level of Driving involvement no other cheaper car can deliver. Remember X1 is not an SUV by any stretch of imagination, it's an estate car made to visually look like a Crossover.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 15:54   #38
BHPian

Space should be Decent, rather better than what I have in my current SX4. I has seen the X1, but the amount of euipment I get does not justifies paying 2 lac extra (I just refering the 320D model here). My comparision is with the Comfortline.

It should be a good long time performer. I dont intend to sell this one like I did for my Getz in 3 years and 21K on ODO and now looking to sell SX4 in 2 1/2 yrs with just 14K on ODO.

It will be purely self driven with occasionally by my wife.
Old 15th July 2011, 16:55   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Space should be Decent, rather better than what I have in my current SX4. I has seen the X1, but the amount of euipment I get does not justifies paying 2 lac extra (I just refering the 320D model here). My comparision is with the Comfortline.

It should be a good long time performer. I dont intend to sell this one like I did for my Getz in 3 years and 21K on ODO and now looking to sell SX4 in 2 1/2 yrs with just 14K on ODO.

It will be purely self driven with occasionally by my wife.
For a petrolhead no amount of equipment in Passat can be a replacement for the Fun to Drive factor of the 320d, in fact i find the smaller siblings of Passat/Superb- Jetta/Laura to be more fun to drive. Passat/Superb are better cars to be driven in, but their huge size robs them of the fun part in Handling compared to the smaller 320d, Jetta and Laura. The 320d anyways comes with the Airbags, ESP etc, i do not mind losing the iDrive, Sunroof, Xenons etc

Or you can also wait for the upcoming Jetta or check out the Laura L&K(it has all the equipment) or even the Laura RS coming very soon.

The current Mercedes C Class is going cheap these days, as a facelift is expected soon. If you manage to get a 250CDI for 220CDI price, What's the harm?

Sorry for confusing you with so many options.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 17:02   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The current Mercedes C Class is going cheap these days, as a facelift is expected soon. If you manage to get a 250CDI for 220CDI price, What's the harm?
They have some 250 and 220 CDI at competetive price in their own website that has run 2000-12000kms. Thats like just beginning to start the run in process.

Quote:
Laura L&K(it has all the equipment)
For that cost i am tilted towards a superb. Overall a better car and better package for the same price.
Old 15th July 2011, 19:17   #41
BHPian

Default Re: Decent Vehicle in 22 to 30 lakh bracket - New Passat OR Skoda Superb

Thanks VW2010, Cyborg, Transam & Anshuman for your replies.
@VW2010: Yes me too thinking of Passat as the choice.

@ Transam: Wont mind stretching my budget by 1.3 lacs as we go for such expensive cars probably once in a lifetime or may be twice i would say for some. But for me Having Getz Before and SX4 now this is double the price of both the cars when i bought them, so its a big thing for me.

@Cyborg:Sure Passat more and more in the Head and Heart now.

@ Anshuman its not about getting confused but its good to know more options as we are spending this much of hard earned money. I mean anyone of us in this case. Hence would like to divert the money where its worth is. Like you mentioned is the Jetta getting launched soon or any anticipated date that any of you guys can input.

The only thing for Beamer will be the upkeep cost, not that PASSAT or SUPERB will be cheap, but recently one of my cousins who owns a Merc C-class had his one mirror broken and the cost of that was 38K quoted by some and that was just for white colour. A fake would still cost 26k. I know mirrors wont get ripped everyday but this was just for an example.

My wife and myself did like the Passat very much though, and also the Superb. But the Passat has IMHO a bit of Dont Mess With Me kind of straight looks. Thats what I liked more about it and ofcourse the DSG which I suppose will be a fun to drive on both as this is my first Automatic car.

Also how advisable is it to get a DVD player mount and then use a Portable DVD player for the kids behing as I dont intend to carry any major changes in the current music system it has. Has anyone has the experience of using anything like this.
Old 15th July 2011, 20:28   #42
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Decent Vehicle in 22 to 30 lakh bracket - New Passat OR Skoda Superb

Quote:
As for the difference between the comfortline and Highline goes:
1) Higline has 12 way adjustable seat with 3 memory functions where as Comfortline has 3 way and no memory function.
2) Higline gets Park assist & Rear Camera and Comortline gets just Front and Rear Sensors.
3) Interiors of Higline are Black (no choice given) and for Comfortline are Biege.

Coming to that IMO doesnt the Beige Interiors feel more roomy compared to dark colour or rather Black colour ones.

Also Passat has 6 Airbags and Superb has 8 Airbags. Correct me if I am wrong.
I would say the Comfortline makes perfect sense. For one, with only you (and occasionally your wife) driving, you're not gong to need the memory function as much as say a family where 3-4 people drive regularly.
Front and rear parking sensors are helpful enough to help fit into those tight spaces. Park assist, forgive me, is for wussies
The beige interiors option would be a good alternative to the all-black highline, which tends to get pretty claustrophobic in back (C'mon you're going to have passengers SOME time!)
2 additional airbags are great but that's hardly a dealbreaker!

Quote:
The only thing for Beamer will be the upkeep cost, not that PASSAT or SUPERB will be cheap, but recently one of my cousins who owns a Merc C-class had his one mirror broken and the cost of that was 38K quoted by some and that was just for white colour. A fake would still cost 26k. I know mirrors wont get ripped everyday but this was just for an example.

My wife and myself did like the Passat very much though, and also the Superb. But the Passat has IMHO a bit of Dont Mess With Me kind of straight looks. Thats what I liked more about it and ofcourse the DSG which I suppose will be a fun to drive on both as this is my first Automatic car.
Both cars have the same DSG setup I guess, so that won't make a difference. I love the look of the new Passat but it's pretty subjective. I would say the entry level BMWs and Mercs area bit of a compromise; you'd probably be happier plonking hard-earned money on a cr like the Superb or Passat.

It looks like you've chosen the Passat and are just looking for some sort of validation here . What to say- it's a great car! I love the five-star opulence of the Superb's rear seat but the Passat is just incredible when you take the wheel. Good luck!
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 18:12   #43
BHPian

Quote:
*snip*

Also how advisable is it to get a DVD player mount and then use a Portable DVD player for the kids behing as I dont intend to carry any major changes in the current music system it has. Has anyone has the experience of using anything like this.
Not so long ago @dot highlighted an important factor in VWs design strategy in this thread about the Jetta. (SCOOP PICS : New VW Jetta, Vento 1.4 petrol, and a Yeti spotted testing)
Basically they all look the same, in various sizes. To me this totally took the fun out of even thinking about the Passat as an option. So we went for the Superb 1.8TFSI A/T and my only regret is not going for the V6. I must say tho. we didn't consider the 3er because I owned a 330i for awhile and wanted to try something different. Even then, IMO, the only 3er worth owning is a 6 banger. Anything less wouldn't classify as a true 3er by some, myself included, despite the fact that it's RWD and perfectly balanced. Again this is the only point against the Superb (even if you get the 4x4, cause it isn't all-time-all-wheel-drive).

Also, I'm not sure if this is a myth or not but diesel engines need to be driven daily. (please correct me if this isn't the case). So considering your month away and not much driving you'd be better off with the 1.8 or 3.6.

Hope this helps.
Macfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 20:00   #44
Senior - BHPian

All comes down to your liking of this new looks. For me the new looks feels more aggressive and more sporty while the old looks were simple plain and as someone call it classic.

The new looks is far attractive. But if you are after looks Skoda and BMW look better. More spec for the money - That would have to be the passat.