Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2011, 21:56   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 187
Thanked: 138 Times
Default Help Needed: Luxury Cars under Rs.45L

Hi All,

This is my first thread, and after a lot of reading around the forums, i am in a very big automotive turmoil. We are looking out for a nice luxury car under 45 lakhs, it wont have much of a running, more on the city roads, basically looking out for a very socially commanding car, with a lot of stance and recognition, comfort/luxury best available at this price point.

I have test drove the Skoda Superb 2.0 TDI - Dad didn't quite like it, Diesel is too noisy and the ride is jittery and ofcourse there are the skoda's nightmarish after-sales service, and my family doesn't appreciate the "Skoda" brand on the whole

The other members from this segment include Honda Accord 2.4, Toyota Camry, Nissan Teana ... Need more views on this segment

None tested as of yet from the 3-series/A4/C-Class/S60 - Any of them really recommended? Please share your views

Test drove the BMW 520d (F10) - Dad quite liked it. But then again, the dealer says he's out of stock of the 520d at the previous price that is Rs.42,80,380/- ex-showroom vashi .. apparently the price rise (duty from 10% to 30%) is going to elevate the prices buy almost around 8 Lakhs.

The dealer here in Worli, Mumbai says that he has 2 530d's at the previous price tag which is Rs.52,73,297/- .. And if i want one of them i don't get a choice of color & interiors. But yaa the previous price tag, which is expected to be almost a good 8-lakhs cheaper.

So final question, should i really consider the 530d, stretch my budget, is it really worth it? Or should i just go to a lower segment and will any other car within my price range could satisfy me.

Regards,
Akash
n:CorE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 07:27   #2
Team-BHP Support
 
noopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 8,665
Thanked: 9,195 Times
Default Re: Help Needed: Luxury Cars under Rs.45L

You really cannot compare what a 5 series will offer in terms of premium feel and brand image with the likes of Superb, Teana etc. And 8 lakhs is a HUGE saving. Go for the 5!
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 08:14   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
mdsaab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,624
Thanked: 446 Times
Default Re: Help Needed: Luxury Cars under Rs.45L

I too agree here. Although you wont have colour choices. Its quite a saving. And the 530d is a fantastic car.
A few other choices you may consider ~
Audi Q5
Merc E class
Nissan X trail (dont shoot me)
Volvo.S80
Volvo XC60
many of these are 45lakh borderline or may slightly exceed. While some are below.
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 08:24   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
androdev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,588
Thanked: 1,725 Times
Default Re: Help Needed: Luxury Cars under Rs.45L

Akash,

At this budget, all roads lead to BMW F10.

You can ask the dealer to see if they can swap their 530 stock with 520 stock of other dealers. If the available color choice is OKAY with your family and stretching the budget is not a very big deal and if self-drive is involved to some level, go for 530. It has got better 'social commanding' than 520 ;-)

Btw, is it confirmed that you will be paying 8L more if you book a new car of your choice now? Or is it just loose talk to put pressure on you?

I was in a similar situation few weeks ago and bought 520D in Bangalore (had to pick whatever was available due to lack of stock). I too feared the price escalation but did not know that the increase would happen this soon. If they did not have 520D in stock but only had 530D, I would have probably picked it up. I was more concerned about the available colour, etc.

My thread is here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...laura-l-k.html

Other threads that helped me in the decision making process:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ve-review.html (BMW 525d : Test Drive & Review)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ll-tell-2.html (My F10 BMW 530d - Wise or Blunder? Only time shall tell!)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury...c-e-class.html (BMW 5 Series or Merc E Class)

Good luck!!
androdev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 09:08   #5
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11,890
Thanked: 9,723 Times
Default Re: Help Needed: Luxury Cars under Rs.45L

Judging by your needs, you want to make an impression rather than drive. Worth looking at the merc E Class
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 10:40   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,115
Thanked: 3,489 Times
Default Re: Help Needed: Luxury Cars under Rs.45L

^^
took the words right out of my mouth!!
The mercedes still feels more "old-school", classy rich, if that makes sense...
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 11:15   #7
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NOIDA, Manchester & Cardiff
Posts: 565
Thanked: 43 Times
Default Re: Help Needed: Luxury Cars under Rs.45L

If you are willing to consider 530D at 52.73 lacs then why not look at Jaguar XF 3.0D S which is available at about 49 lacs ex. Showrrom. Being a CBU, there is no price escalation.

No other car in this price range meets better the criteria mentioned by you in the first para of your first post. Apart from that you get the first class interiors, lots of gadgets and far superior driving pleasure to comparable cars.

Take a test drive of Jaguar and your will be convinced. You can also read my ownership review posted on this forum.
akj53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 12:30   #8
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sahil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,202
Thanked: 2,094 Times
Default Re: Help Needed: Luxury Cars under Rs.45L

Your pricing quotes are way off !The 520d is 37 lakh ex-showroom without octroi. Even with the price hike there is no way it will climb to 8 lakhs more !

Try speaking to someone senior at Infinity or try Navnit. Get the official pricelist off them to be more transparent.

You could also consider the Passat if you want to go lower or XF diesel if you want to go higher. Ideally i think the 520d is your best bet and if you can stretch the 525d would be ideal, once your get legit pricing details.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 12:47   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
VW2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,568
Thanked: 2,042 Times
Default Re: Help Needed: Luxury Cars under Rs.45L

Quote:
Judging by your needs, you want to make an impression rather than drive. Worth looking at the merc E Class
Second (or is it third) that. Every upgrade ends at Merc. Even someone owning a BMW will want to own a Merc someday. Atleast i would

Go for the Merc E Class
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 13:08   #10
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sahil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,202
Thanked: 2,094 Times
Default Re: Help Needed: Luxury Cars under Rs.45L

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Even someone owning a BMW will want to own a Merc someday
Now thats the first time, I have heard something like that !

In most cases, the situation is quite the opposite. Most BMW owners have owned a Merc 'someday' and some even hope never to own one again


Back on topic: The E250 CDi wouldn't be a bad option, second to the Beamer ofc. If you are looking for a good deal then look at the A6, it's going for a model change, if you dont care about that then now is the best discounted price to get it at.

Last edited by Sahil : 19th April 2011 at 13:11.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 14:35   #11
BHPian
 
fre2bpowerless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 257
Thanked: 81 Times
Default Re: Help Needed: Luxury Cars under Rs.45L

520d is the perfect choice, you can check if its available with another dealer.
42,80,000/- sounds like the 525d.

Audi is getting rid of their A6 stock, I was offered a 2.7 diesel for 34 ex showroom with color and interior options, you can consider it as an option. Next gen will be here Q4 of this year though.
fre2bpowerless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 16:02   #12
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 187
Thanked: 138 Times
Default Re: Help Needed: Luxury Cars under Rs.45L

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Akash,

At this budget, all roads lead to BMW F10.

You can ask the dealer to see if they can swap their 530 stock with 520 stock of other dealers. If the available color choice is OKAY with your family and stretching the budget is not a very big deal and if self-drive is involved to some level, go for 530. It has got better 'social commanding' than 520 ;-)

Btw, is it confirmed that you will be paying 8L more if you book a new car of your choice now? Or is it just loose talk to put pressure on you?

I was in a similar situation few weeks ago and bought 520D in Bangalore (had to pick whatever was available due to lack of stock). I too feared the price escalation but did not know that the increase would happen this soon. If they did not have 520D in stock but only had 530D, I would have probably picked it up. I was more concerned about the available colour, etc.

My thread is here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...laura-l-k.html

Other threads that helped me in the decision making process:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ve-review.html (BMW 525d : Test Drive & Review)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ll-tell-2.html (My F10 BMW 530d - Wise or Blunder? Only time shall tell!)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury...c-e-class.html (BMW 5 Series or Merc E Class)

Good luck!!
Thanks for the ultimate threads guide for the The 520d I did read your initial ownership report too. I am still not confirmed of the paying 8 Lakh rupees more for my car. I have a feeling its loose talk to put pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
I too agree here. Although you wont have colour choices. Its quite a saving. And the 530d is a fantastic car.
A few other choices you may consider ~
Audi Q5
Merc E class
Nissan X trail (dont shoot me)
Volvo.S80
Volvo XC60
many of these are 45lakh borderline or may slightly exceed. While some are below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Judging by your needs, you want to make an impression rather than drive. Worth looking at the merc E Class
Not looking at SUV's for now ... Volvo S80/S60 .. both insanely equipped for the price, but then again brand recognition in India is not as much as a Beamer/Benz/Audi.

I am a car enthusiast and do care a lot about the drive too. Its just that I am amidst a family who believes in the conventional status symbol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
You really cannot compare what a 5 series will offer in terms of premium feel and brand image with the likes of Superb, Teana etc. And 8 lakhs is a HUGE saving. Go for the 5!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
^^
took the words right out of my mouth!!
The mercedes still feels more "old-school", classy rich, if that makes sense...
I somehow don't like the new boxy edges, and to me the body is way more flamboyant than a Mercedes for me should be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
If you are willing to consider 530D at 52.73 lacs then why not look at Jaguar XF 3.0D S which is available at about 49 lacs ex. Showrrom. Being a CBU, there is no price escalation.

No other car in this price range meets better the criteria mentioned by you in the first para of your first post. Apart from that you get the first class interiors, lots of gadgets and far superior driving pleasure to comparable cars.

Take a test drive of Jaguar and your will be convinced. You can also read my ownership review posted on this forum.
Jaguar ... It's one hell of a looker, turns around heads, drops jaws, love that car.. But then again its on the upside of 50L .. which is a problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Your pricing quotes are way off !The 520d is 37 lakh ex-showroom without octroi. Even with the price hike there is no way it will climb to 8 lakhs more !

Try speaking to someone senior at Infinity or try Navnit. Get the official pricelist off them to be more transparent.

You could also consider the Passat if you want to go lower or XF diesel if you want to go higher. Ideally i think the 520d is your best bet and if you can stretch the 525d would be ideal, once your get legit pricing details.
Yaa yaa .. My bad .. its ~42L OTR. Are you sure that the price hike wouldn't have such a devastating impact? because this is what the sales manager had to say to me..Probably loose talk to put pressure as androdev mentioned


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Now thats the first time, I have heard something like that !

In most cases, the situation is quite the opposite. Most BMW owners have owned a Merc 'someday' and some even hope never to own one again


Back on topic: The E250 CDi wouldn't be a bad option, second to the Beamer ofc. If you are looking for a good deal then look at the A6, it's going for a model change, if you dont care about that then now is the best discounted price to get it at.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fre2bpowerless View Post
520d is the perfect choice, you can check if its available with another dealer.
42,80,000/- sounds like the 525d.

Audi is getting rid of their A6 stock, I was offered a 2.7 diesel for 34 ex showroom with color and interior options, you can consider it as an option. Next gen will be here Q4 of this year though.
A6! Yes .. This was really on my mind, I am aware of the new A6 is on its way and i guess its to be launched somewhere around September 2011. Will it be a good buy? Like 34 ex showroom is really lucrative. What will be the pricing of the new A6. I don't want to end up feeling like a fool to pick up the old gen A6, if the new one is like drop-dead-good

Guys, I just had a word with my father over the phone, Increasing the budget is completely ruled out. In fact dad wants to look at something in the lower price band now. Finances need to be aggressively planned to buy a car at this price point, which he doesn't decide to do currently, as BMW is putting a lot of pressure by constantly calling and notifying to block the car, etc.,etc. He doesn't want to hurry in these matters. I guess even the 520d is ruled out now :-(

I shall book a TD of the A6 2.7 TDI, lets see how that goes, in the meanwhile.. Guys something in the lower price band ... More details/information/views on this car are highly appreciated

Sahil .. You mentioned the new Passat, is it really good? One of my friends had the Jetta, and he hates that car ..He says VW is a no go

C-Class/3-series/A4/S60 ?

PS: I so damn love this place
n:CorE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 16:55   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
PlatzdaTurbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,304
Thanked: 314 Times
Default Re: Help Needed: Luxury Cars under Rs.45L

Go for the 520d as it seems like the most practical and straightforward choice in this case. The 525d would be a worthwhile upgrade if you can. Finally, yes the A6 is going real cheap off the floors but i would not really ask you to go for it since you have a much newer,better and fresher option in the f10 520d.

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 19th April 2011 at 16:58.
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 17:34   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
mdsaab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,624
Thanked: 446 Times
Default Re: Help Needed: Luxury Cars under Rs.45L

If we are going down a segment then this is my order of preference
1. Audi A4
2. BMW 3 Series
3. Merc C Class

to be noted the 3 is in it's final stages and a new 3 shall emerge soon.
as SUV's are ruled out did not suggest the X1
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 20:10   #15
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NOIDA, Manchester & Cardiff
Posts: 565
Thanked: 43 Times
Default Re: Help Needed: Luxury Cars under Rs.45L

Try Volvo. A different but good choice

Volvo S60 Price in India (Ex-Showroom Mumbai Price)

Volvo S60, D5 Kinetic Price - Rs. 27 lakhs

Volvo S60, D5 Summum Price - Rs. 32 lakhs

Volvo S60, T6 Summum Price - Rs. 34 lakhs

New Passat is also a good option, you can go for the top model.

Last edited by akj53 : 19th April 2011 at 20:14.
akj53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honda Dio Modded..still under construction..help needed!! xmOD Motorbikes 31 28th November 2016 13:28
Luxury cars showrooms of Riyadh.All brands under one roof. ferrariKSA The International Automotive Scene 80 30th March 2010 20:45
ET: Luxury cars at throwaway prices! article on pre-owned luxury car business aditya101 Super-Cars & Imports in India 51 17th June 2009 17:52
Hands-on "under the hood" experience needed pls help! fastnav The Indian Car Scene 0 21st September 2008 10:04
Whats with Sonata?(12.45L -(110K) ex delhi) Equus The Indian Car Scene 13 20th October 2006 01:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:19.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks