Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 9th July 2011, 20:16   #211
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: RRP Hyperdrive in a friend's Mitsu Cedia

My baby's gone.
The bore went bad there were steps in 3 out of 4 bores. Dont know what the hell even happened. The engine has been shipped to bangalore to Mr Leela. He promises 10 days and the car will be up and running. He says he will take care of everything even if it means giving a new block. Hmm.. Dont know what to say
chiragh_bir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2011, 22:35   #212
BHPian

after the installation was the car run in ?
The bore can go bad for various reasons it can be high stresses or metallurgy failure or even wrong way of run in.

please do ask Mr. Leela the reasons for the bore going bad.
jatinpatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 17:52   #213
BHPian

Bore went bad ? What about the piston rings ? Any reply from RRP as to why this could have happened ?

And people think cars done by experts don't go wrong.No I don't have anything against RRP,its just that people who intend to do such projects should not expect everything right at first GO !
Neil.Bhujbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 20:02   #214
Senior - BHPian

The run-in would have obviously been done on the dyno itself before it was even delivered to the owner. Can't blame him for that.

The cylinders don't go bad by themselves unless the car was being run overly rich, which washed the oil off the cylinders. Or bad detonation. Or a thousand other things. Way too much to speculate unless some pics of the internals are posted here, which I doubt will happen.

Good luck with the car, and ask RRP for an oil pressure gauge, preferably an oil temperature gauge too. Running an aftermarket turbo install without the former is dangerous because the quality of the oil lines, etc is never as reliable as OE components.
pranavt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 23:57   #215
Senior - BHPian

Hello all!

Just spoke to Mr Leela a while back. There was a problem with the compression. Stock is 9.5, RRP set it at 9 which was too high for this turbo. And the oil spray was because the 2nd piston had seized.
Getting new pistons and changing compression to 8.2. Lets hope it works out well. Also getting in an oil pressure gauge!
Old 19th July 2011, 13:45   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiragh_bir View Post
Hello all!

Just spoke to Mr Leela a while back. There was a problem with the compression. Stock is 9.5, RRP set it at 9 which was too high for this turbo. And the oil spray was because the 2nd piston had seized.
Getting new pistons and changing compression to 8.2. Lets hope it works out well. Also getting in an oil pressure gauge!
If the pistons and rods are in good shape, easier option is to get a decompression MLS gasket off the 4G93T its a 1.8mm gasket.Thats what even I am using to reduce compression.
Let's hope your car is back on the road very soon.Best of Luck buddy
Amey is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 09:53   #217
BHPian

Actually, head gasket is a cheap fix to reduce compression ratio. Ideally, you should be getting a set of after-market compression-reducing rods & pistons. That is a FAR more reliable way of reducing compression & ensuring a more reliable vehicle.
1self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 14:26   #218
BHPian

Hmmm, any update on this build from the OP?

I've already visited RRP and am seriously contemplating a Turbo Drive for my 07 Cedia from them. Would love to know how this particular build went along!

(Btw, I was shown the 170bhp Turbo Drive Swift which blew my pants off! Whattay car - refinement + performance, nothing show-offy just pure performance. Lovely stuff!)
d_payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 17:50   #219
Senior - BHPian

Thanks d_payne for raking this thread up. I am also curious as to how the car is running now. Assuming that it is back from RRP...I am sure it is - has been a while now.

Please update Chiragh

Thanks
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 10:38   #220
Senior - BHPian

guys anmol is now busy with his new college .

i don't have any news of him and the car !!

though will surely ask him to update the thread !!
Old 22nd September 2011, 11:34   #221
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Shocked & disappointed to hear about your friend's predicament. A brand new car + premium billing + tuning, and I would expect reliability at the least. Especially when it's Leelakrishnan working on the car.

Honestly, I've held Red Rooster in the highest regard but this episode (and two other shoddily done Swifts that I heard about recently) are making me think twice. Think twice also about turbo'ing my own Civic from Red Rooster which was in the pipeline.

Do let us know how things turned out. I feel really sorry for your friend for having gone through this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Good luck with the car, and ask RRP for an oil pressure gauge, preferably an oil temperature gauge too. Running an aftermarket turbo install without the former is dangerous
That is a clear lapse in best practices! I would like to know why this car wasn't equipped the said gauges.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2011, 23:23   #222
Senior - BHPian

The whole build rests in the hands of the guy who tightens the bolts and checks the clearances within the engine. A badly tuned motor might blow up due to incorrect fuelling and/or timing. A badly assembled motor WILL blow up 10 times out of 10. Most mechanics are way too careless to be given such kind of trust, no offense to anyone intended. I understand that there are RRR representatives here; a seized piston in a bore points towards incorrect clearance between the piston and bore. It is one of the most basic things to check in an engine that is being built. An error there points at serious ignorance and/or carelessness. Again, no offense intended to anyone.
pranavt is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2011, 09:25   #223
Senior - BHPian

oil pressure and oil temperature gauges are not mandatory and i have been running just with a boost gauge for about 4 years now as daily drive. maybe that's just me. but i selected my parts carefully and bought them myself. GTO if you are planning. You can get the tuning done by anyone good at that. get the parts as original as possible. I haven't seen any single car turboed with a good manifold and that's a main part. big names are good. But it's your car and your project. you cannot blame anyone.
kutlee is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2011, 10:42   #224
Senior - BHPian

Are we saying the car is still not up & running ?? Even if the engine were to be rebuilt, it would not take this long.

As for RRP, this is plain bad luck IMHO. They have been building car engines, especially Cedias for so long now, that I suppose they could do it with eyes closed.

I am sure RRP would have made good to the owner by re-doing the build.
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2011, 14:53   #225
Senior - BHPian

for a generic guide, one can start searching and selecting the parts (what i am saying is WRT to honda). honda-tech.com or hondamarketplace.com are good places. (spammers are there as anywhere else). But this should give a good combination of parts that can be used. bolting up can be done up with some good mech. wiring and tuning ecu. can be done by same person. or get ecu wired, put base map (or run on the stock ecu) get to the tuner and tune it. RRP does this all in one shop. But since one's involvement in stages is limited (if you do it end to end including sourcing), the confidence might be a bit less. GTO, for your expectation of reliability, if it is done in India, keep fingers crossed for at least a couple of months after the build (no matter who does it). Question is reliability is possible, yes. How to make it reliable, it's on you.
my mystery is how the hell is my stock clutch holding up after all these years. I still have my doubts on when it will fail (esp on long drives).
kutlee is offline   Reply With Quote