Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 29th September 2011, 16:21   #226
BHPian

Default Re: RRP Hyperdrive in a friend's Mitsu Cedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Shocked & disappointed to hear about your friend's predicament. A brand new car + premium billing + tuning, and I would expect reliability at the least. Especially when it's Leelakrishnan working on the car.

Honestly, I've held Red Rooster in the highest regard but this episode (and two other shoddily done Swifts that I heard about recently) are making me think twice. Think twice also about turbo'ing my own Civic from Red Rooster which was in the pipeline.

Do let us know how things turned out. I feel really sorry for your friend for having gone through this.

That is a clear lapse in best practices! I would like to know why this car wasn't equipped the said gauges.
Clarification:
Earlier, the compression ratio of the pistons was 9:1. The car was sent to Chandigarh and was running well. The problems cropped up due to the quality of fuel. Hence, there was an issue with the piston seizure. We then re-built the engine and put in pistons with 8:1 comp ratio ensure that the car runs well with the fuel available. We undertook the rebuild of the engine though it was a fuel issue and nothing to do with our build. Of course, there were no charges. Since then, the car has been running well without any issues. Our engineers again visited Chandigarh to sort out some minor irritants like an exhaust rattle.
GTO, you mentioned that you had "heard" of another couple of swifts that we had prepared which had problems, care to elaborate and give more details as to whose vehicles these were? You can PM me the details. Because we have not got any complaints from ANY of our swift customers.
Please do ask us ANY and ALL queries with this build or ANY other build by RRP.
Will be glad to clarify.
We do not shy away from ANY issues!
orangelephant is offline   (13) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 17:41   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangelephant View Post
Clarification:
Earlier, the compression ratio of the pistons was 9:1. The car was sent to Chandigarh and was running well. The problems cropped up due to the quality of fuel. Hence, there was an issue with the piston seizure. We then re-built the engine and put in pistons with 8:1 comp ratio ensure that the car runs well with the fuel available. We undertook the rebuild of the engine though it was a fuel issue and nothing to do with our build. Of course, there were no charges. Since then, the car has been running well without any issues. Our engineers again visited Chandigarh to sort out some minor irritants like an exhaust rattle.
GTO, you mentioned that you had "heard" of another couple of swifts that we had prepared which had problems, care to elaborate and give more details as to whose vehicles these were? You can PM me the details. Because we have not got any complaints from ANY of our swift customers.
Will be glad to clarify.
I have heard nothing but good stuff about RRP. In fact I myself am planning on getting the Power Drive package for my Polo.
speed kills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 19:01   #228
BHPian

I had spoken about it on another thread and my unbiased opinion - My Honda City (new - not the best car to mod) was done up at RRP and I am extremly happy with the work and quality of finish. Additionally, to have a person like Leela tune your car is always a plus. (I race for FRK racing in the JKNRC IJTC and hence I hope people will realise this is an unbiased view).
killjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2011, 02:15   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Clarification:
Will be glad to clarify.
Thanks for the clarification. Makes sense. Kind of selfish on the part of the car owner to not sort out the mess on the forum.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2011, 10:16   #230
Senior - BHPian

@orangelephant

It was about time you gave this information out on the forum. I agree with pranavt, that the owner was incorrect in not updating the forum of the fact that the car had been corrected by RRP.

When he (the owner) was posting very regularly about his plans & build, and then the fact that the car had engine trouble, how come he did not think it proper to update us all on the re-build done by RRP.

So all in all RRP has held it's head up, owned up & taken responsibility to rebuild the engine - though bad fuel is not something they could have remote controlled from Bangalore !!

Great going RRP !!

Cheers
Ricky_63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2011, 10:31   #231
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Will be glad to clarify.
Firstly, thanks for offering clarifications. Most of us hold Red Rooster in high regard, and you guys are the 1st of my shortlist for a turbo Civic. However, this thread has admittedly left me disillusioned.

Quote:
The problems cropped up due to the quality of fuel.
I don't understand. Fuel quality in India is a hit & miss, and has a fair share of inconsistency. Why wasn't this factored into the build? You guys know the local scene, and how modified cars can run / cannot run on local fuel better than anyone else. In fact, even Mercedes & BMW's 6 cylinder engines run just fine on local petrol, as do the direct-injection turbo Skoda 1.8's (DSG issues aside). What was unique about this car that it didn't run on regular petrol?

While I respect you guys for sticking by the job and replacing whatever is necessary (believe me, I've been stuck with a horrible swap job and zero support from the tuner), why was this fuel quality not accounted for at the time of the build?

Quote:
Since then, the car has been running well without any issues.
That's great to hear. We will wait for the owner to confirm this.

Also, were these issues related to fuel quality?

Quote:
As mentioned earlier there was rattling in the car. Did not pay much attention to it and waited for engineers to visit and check it up. After a few days there was a '" kut kut kut kut kut kut " sound from the engine while idling. After Mr. Leela came to personally check it, he identified it to be a problem with the hydraulic lifter.
Quote:
Yesterday I took for a small drive and when I came back I saw oil under the car. Upon opening up the bonnet and to my utter shock there was a huge oil spray in the right side of the engine compartment.
Quote:
GTO, you mentioned that you had "heard" of another couple of swifts that we had prepared which had problems, care to elaborate and give more details as to whose vehicles these were?
Two cars belonging to a large house in Pune AFAIK. Will fetch the details and confirm.

Last edited by GTO : 30th September 2011 at 10:33.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2011, 18:54   #232
BHPian

Bad fuel can cause issues but then as GTO mentioned, isn't it a given that fuel quality in India is nothing great and there could be variations and that could cause issues in a performance engine.In such a case it is surprising how this factor wasn't taken into consideration ?
In my opinion some safety margin should have been kept in both, engine build as well as tuning.
Mitsubishi makes a 1.8mm gasket OE for the 4G93T which is a direct fit on the 4G94 block since the 4G94 is a derivative of the 4G93 anyway.By using this gasket, this scenario could have been avoided because the thicker gasket would have lowered compression.
I know this would have reduced power gains but then it would have ensured better reliability, don't you think so ?
Either this or lower compression pistons in the first place ?
Correct me if I am wrong but this is what I personally feel.
Amey is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2011, 14:43   #233
BHPian

With my very limited knowledge, here are my viewpoints:
1. The stock Cedia comes with a knock sensor, which would've indicated bad fuel.
2. In case high octane was essential, the same should have been insisted upon.
3. For someone with so much knowledge and experience, lower compression should have been addressed at the very beginning.

Fuel quality being blamed just seems lame, but then again my knowledge is very limited
vikram18 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2011, 15:29   #234
BHPian

@ GTO to answer your question...a bmw and merc do not run close to 1 bar of boost to start with. to run close to 1 bar of boost you need atleast 97 or better.and chandigarh as a city does not sell 97 or as i am made to understand by anmol 91 either (correct me if am wrong).

as a person who runs a workshop myself (thou a lot smaller than RR) i find it amazing that RRP has made so many trips to sort things. and that the commitment and good intent never wavered .

that said i think next time everyone (on both sides of the table) needs to be very clear on what the real time application is. and if its workable or not in the long run.

just my 2 cents without being biased..

cheers,

phil
speedsport is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2011, 20:40   #235
Senior - BHPian

My Swift is running on either normal BUT mostly premium IOC 93 octane fuel & runs like a dream, and having done 5k with the turbo, touchwood, still runs great !

I was thinking of going forged & 15psi but I think I should refrain as 97 octane is not available easy in NCR - even Delhi, few pumps carry it.

Let us see if the temptation subsides or I do give in to that feeling of more is more !!

Cheers
Ricky_63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2011, 00:56   #236
Senior - BHPian

Hello everyone.

This is Anmol posting, I would first of all want to apologize(again) for creating this mess and not updating everyone. There was a huge mess I was in due to my college.

I would like to thank Prashanth for clarifying things to everyone..

I would like to share all details about the car now....

First and foremost, there is not better than RRP in India, I have experienced it and trust me Mr. Leela and all the other engineers and mechanics at RRP never leave a stone unturned to fix my car and help me out with it. They have made numerous trips to fix problems with the car without any hesitation...

When the problems first showed up, team from RRP came straight to my home to check all issues, the pistons were messed and they sent the engine back to B'Lore to change the pistons. They also fixed the clutch assembly which was earlier a problem too. There is absolutely no doubt that RRP is THE BEST and I have no regrets in getting any work done from them, again, it is an experience its in own self and Mr Leela is in constant touch to fix any and all problems

But to my disappointment, there is something seriously wrong. It is, I don't know for what reason and who is responsible for it, but i just cant run the car to its 40% of maximum performance.

RRP has remapped the ECU atlas 4-5 times now, the pre-ignition JUST DOES NOT STOP. I am really running it slow to prevent any damage to the pistons again and trying to figure out the problem.

The only problem we can figure out is the poor quality of fuel because the car ran perfectly fine whilst it was in Bangalore and after my fist refill, the problems never stopped.

I am quite clueless at this stage......

Last edited by chiragh_bir : 14th October 2011 at 01:02.
chiragh_bir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2011, 01:10   #237
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiragh_bir View Post
I am quite clueless at this stage......
Why dont you try octane boosters along with normal fuel? in a month or two my car is going the same route to get a turbo and what not and if fuel quality remains an issue then what can i say but ditch my plan, one of our fellow members turbo honda city is a daily drive and he has not even changed the stock clutch, his was a used car which he later on turboed and now if it is such a big rocket science i am worried.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2011, 01:18   #238
Senior - BHPian

I don't know man. Things are just not seeming right at all. The ignition is also so damn low because of the pre-ignition (detonation). The car seems dead.

The only option i have is using water/methanol or alcohol injection.

Aquamist is something I might go in for if nothing else works. Has anyone tried it or any reviews/views about it?
chiragh_bir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2011, 02:20   #239
Senior - BHPian

Do not use octane boosters on a daily drive. And only use alky/water injection if you can service the car yourself if something goes wrong. Deto in a 8:1 CR engine sounds like a really bad combustion chamber, wrong heatrange plugs or bad tuning. I'm prepping a 12.5:1 CR engine that will be able to run on pump fuel (~90 octane), though NA only. Dropping CR to solve detonation issues is not the right approach.
pranavt is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2011, 12:42   #240
BHPian

A complete novice in these matters, I'd like to ask one practical question. After all that time and effort and money spend on your Cedia, is it faster than a stock Cedia? I know it has ignition issues and not performing at it's full potential, but still...
Astleviz is offline   Reply With Quote