Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 28th January 2006, 21:36   #1
BHPian

Default Retrofitted AC in Standard Maruti 800

I have a standard non- AC 800 purchased in 2003. After 6 months of purchase I have got AC installed from the same authoriesd dealer. While installing it the workshop people advised me not to use the AC for a long time (say, not more than 30 mins at a stretch). Due to extreme heat during summer in Mumbai it is not always possible for me to follow that. Will it do any harm if I use AC nonstop for 1 hour or more? Also, does the retrofitted AC come under normal servicing? Spectra Motors workshop people told me that I have to pay Rs 1200.00 extera for getting the AC serviced. This is in addition to the normal servicing charges (around Rs 1500.00). Is it ok? Thnx for your advice,
Purnendu Bagchi
purnendubagchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2006, 21:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

All cr@p. U can use the AC right after starting the car and switch it off before the engine is turned off.
The Gas in the compressor needs to be refilled once in a year or so(depends) .It costs 750 bucks to do that for my sumo which has a retrofitted AC. Paying 1200 for the AC every 10000kms is pure rip-off.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2006, 21:47   #3
BHPian

I just got Ac installed in my alto last week, which includes 1 year replacement warranty, I also asked about the service charges after the installation of the AC, but they told me it will not cost me anything extra than the normal service rates, However, This was done in cochin. And with regards to the usage of AC, I am sure the experts in the forum will help you out. How much did it cost you??
Knight Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2006, 21:55   #4
BHPian

Just keep an eye ob your temp gauge... Rest should be fine..
ThE_DoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2006, 21:56   #5
BHPian

AC gas top-up is included in your standard pay service at Maruti garages..
read it on maryti site sometime ago
ThE_DoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2006, 20:46   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Rider
I just got Ac installed in my alto last week, which includes 1 year replacement warranty, I also asked about the service charges after the installation of the AC, but they told me it will not cost me anything extra than the normal service rates, However, This was done in cochin. And with regards to the usage of AC, I am sure the experts in the forum will help you out. How much did it cost you??
Hi, the installation cost in 2003 in Kolkata was Rs 22000.00(net).
purnendubagchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2007, 10:35   #7
BHPian

Guys,

I want to revive this thread. Please pour in your valuable suggestion. I want to go for retrofitted AC in M800 Euro II ( 2004 make ). I am planning for Subros and installation from a Maruti Authorized dealer. I have few queries. Please help me out. Here they are :
  1. Is it recommended to go for retrofitted AC ? Will it reduce the life of engine ?
  2. Is Subros the best choice ? Price 25K approx ?
  3. Will cooling be enough for 4 people in the car ?
  4. Does Retrofitted needs special care on monthly / yearly basis ?
  5. Does a long drive of 4 hours or so reco with AC on ?
  6. What all I need to take care during my installation ?
Thanks for your inputs ..
navdeep is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2007, 08:25   #8
BHPian

Is there any difference between the non-AC and the AC versions of the Maruti 800 that come from the factory (other than the fact that one has AC)?

I.e., are the parts/engine stronger/more durable on the AC version?

I am told that while you can get an AC fitted in an 800, it ultimately ruins the engine by putting too much strain on it.

Also, if you get AC fitted from a Maruti dealer, will he guarantee nothing will happen to the engine?
caliper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2007, 13:15   #9
Team-BHP Support

there is no difference in engine for an ac and non ac 800, the OE compressor is designed for the engine and might have less capacity compared to a retrofit market one, which can be bigger and more powerful
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2007, 15:19   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
there is no difference in engine for an ac and non ac 800, the OE compressor is designed for the engine and might have less capacity compared to a retrofit market one, which can be bigger and more powerful
Thanks for the reply. So what is recommended? "Genuine Maruti" or aftermarket?

The warranty on the Maruti would be better, wouldn't it?

Also, there could be a question of genuineness vs. desi mal of the aftermarket equipment, no?

Or, if not, what a few good aftermarket compressors?

I ask because some people say "AC will ruin your 800's engine. You need at least a Zen (1.1 L) to run AC"
caliper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2007, 15:25   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliper View Post
Thanks for the reply. So what is recommended? "Genuine Maruti" or aftermarket?

The warranty on the Maruti would be better, wouldn't it?

Also, there could be a question of genuineness vs. desi mal of the aftermarket equipment, no?

Or, if not, what a few good aftermarket compressors?

I ask because some people say "AC will ruin your 800's engine. You need at least a Zen (1.1 L) to run AC"
This thread might clear some doubts..

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-should-i.html
navdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2007, 10:53   #12
BHPian

Default Maruti 800 new AC fitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus View Post
Dear Members,
I have a Maruti 800 STD model MPFI 2003 model.If I want to fit a AC now will it be OK.What are the pros and cons of fitting a AC in a old car as compared to a factory fitted one.I was thinking of an AC due to the fogging of the windshield problems i face during long drives during the rains.
Thanks in advance,
Fergus
Hi BHP ians
Could I have some feedback on the quoted mail with regards to fitting a AC for a 4yr ols Maruti 800-feasible or no
Moderator please excuse me if I have posted on the wrong thread any kindly forward it to the right gropu if so.
Thanks guys
Fergus

Mod's Note: Post moved. Please do a search and post in a more relevant thread (instead of askiing the mods to do that for you) to get better response.
fergus is offline   Reply With Quote