Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 15th June 2011, 16:51   #1
BHPian

Default Accessory - Wheel Cap / Cover Query

Hi tbhpians
I am facing a peculiar issue with the wheel caps on my SX4. Recently after its last service about a week back 3 of the wheel caps are making a sound while the car is in motion. The Maruti guys had a look and put it some sponge to stop to sound, but its back to square one.

Did any of you guys face this issue and if yes how did you address it?

Now any suggestions on how to remedy it
- Either i can go for a new set of wheel covers (not sure how much it costs)
- I can paint the current rim to silver (the rim is currently black in color while my car's color is Silver) and add the small round cups to it (black)

I plan to go for alloys only once i change my tires.
scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 20:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Accessory - Wheel Cap / Cover Query

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow View Post

Now any suggestions on how to remedy it
- Either i can go for a new set of wheel covers (not sure how much it costs)
- I can paint the current rim to silver (the rim is currently black in color while my car's color is Silver) and add the small round cups to it (black)
The wheel caps costs around 100-300 (after market) depending on design you choose. I suggest you to get a new set instead of painting your car's rim.

PS - Did you get wheel balancing and alignment done during the service? I guess the service people may have broken some part (from inside) of the wheel cap during this job.
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 20:12   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Try unscrewing all the bolts.. fit the wheel cap properly.. and screwing the bolts again.

If you have done tyre rotation recently (likely since the car went for servicing), there's quite a chance the bolts were tightened while the wheel cap was not mounted all the way in. (Happens a lot of time - twice on my car)

If you are facing the issue even after this, then you could consider removing the wheel caps or going in for new ones.

I have a feeling the solution is going to be very simple.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2011, 11:20   #4
BHPian

@bluevolt - Thanks for the info. Yup this problem arose after the servicing and my wheel caps are of the spring variety i.e. it clicks onto the wheel. Guess these have been damaged during the servicing.

Thanks to the popular feedback in most probability going for a new set of wheel caps seems the best option.

Thanks everyone for the inputs.
scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2011, 13:22   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Unfortunately, it will be a never-ending process with the spring-type wheel caps. They will always work themselves loose and it's a royal pain to find single piece replacements. Better that you get yourself a set of wheel caps that bolt onto the wheel. Personally though, I prefer the black OEM wheels look. Or, once you have the budget, get your SX4 a nice set of alloys.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote