Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

View Poll Results: How effective is your K&N filter
Oh! It is the rocket fuel for my car. 16 7.73%
Great. I know it made a difference. Its no rocket fuel though. 82 39.61%
Ok. I would say that it is nice to have. Definitely not as dramatic as many claim it to be. 60 28.99%
What K&N? Its a wastage of money. 30 14.49%
I am using it for over the last 40,000+ kms. 7 3.38%
I have used it for more than 20,000 - 40,000 kms. 16 7.73%
Mine has been in use for 5000 - 2,0000 kms. 35 16.91%
Its comparatively new in my car. 29 14.01%
I have used it for over the last 4 years. 8 3.86%
I have used it for over the last 2-3 years. 14 6.76%
I have used it for over the last 1-2 years. 21 10.14%
Hey, mine is a new filter. 31 14.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16th May 2006, 16:42   #31
BHPian

Would you all say that, If one shifts from an OEM filter to a K'n'N stock filter...It will increase power/average/AC-Cooling...! How much will this filter cost for a Lancer Petrol..Any Clue ?

I was also very curious to know, How does one maintain the filter- The website says you can wash it, then what happens to the special Oil in it...How do you clean the Filter...Blowing Air out of it...Oil sticks with Dust ??

Last edited by wolfinstein : 16th May 2006 at 16:44.
wolfinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2006, 17:51   #32
Senior - BHPian

Moderator Note: Please stop marketing these filters in each and every thread. There is a thin line between recommending a product and pushing a product, please tread carefully.

Last edited by Rtech : 16th May 2006 at 17:58.
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2006, 18:24   #33
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hello ShadyRulez,
I have never tried any other filter so would not be in a position to say anything about them. Regarding K&N, I have them in both my cars, Esteem & Baleno and they are performing extremely well. I do not feel they are expensive as they have 100,000 mile warranty on them and the fact that one can clean them every 10 to 15000 kms or so, which is what I do. I have driven in the most dustiest conditions of Delhi and no problems.
You should go in for the insert as you mentioned, that works out pretty cheap. Just make sure you change the filter before you take it for service otherwise they will try and clean it with air and ruin the fillter. That care will have to be taken. However, with an insert it is very easy to change.

I RECOMMEND this product as I have used it on two cars

Regards,
Burjis
burjiis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2006, 23:14   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
100,000 mile warranty
Its actually Million-mile warranty.

Btw, Myself and 5u3zero use Ractive filters.I wouldn't compare them with K&N since neither of us used K&N.But, every difference that is noticed in K&N is also present in Ractive filters(Made in USA) at just a fraction of the cost.

Both of us picked up the filters from PJSPEED for 1000 bucks and was worth every penny spent. K&N, i honestly feel is just the hype and marketing for which users pay such prices.But, still its the best filter company in the world.

PJ currently is out of stock of the SF100 filter.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2006, 00:41   #35
BHPian

how-come no one is commenting on the maintaince of KnN filters...!
wolfinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2006, 16:03   #36
BHPian

Quote:
how-come no one is commenting on the maintaince of KnN filters...!
I was asked to get it serviced every 5000kms as the conditions in India are dusty and not like what they are in the US. The only maintanance it would need is cleaning and re-oiling the filter component with a specific oil used for the same.
girlieonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2006, 18:21   #37
Senior - BHPian

I've had K&N installed recently on my gypsy king. The power delivery seemed much better than the stock filter. Surprisingly the FE also improved..

The intake roar is there only if we stomp on the accelarator else..not noticable..

I;ve not had any experience with any other filters..need to try
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2006, 18:23   #38
Senior - BHPian

Default K&N filter maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlieonwheels
I was asked to get it serviced every 5000kms as the conditions in India are dusty and not like what they are in the US. The only maintanance it would need is cleaning and re-oiling the filter component with a specific oil used for the same.
Yes you are right about the maintenance of the filter..The general screw up is while the service guys fail to re-oil the filter properly..

Also, for dusty conditions, it helps if you get the filters cleaned around 5K kms..else 10K is sufficient..
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2006, 21:10   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, for dusty conditions, it helps if you get the filters cleaned around 5K kms..else 10K is sufficient..
Bro, K&N filters are proven to work efficiently even with 1.8inch thickness of dust.
Moreover, the little dust accumulated on the surface just add to the filtration efficiency.
Servicing them every 5 or 10000kms is just a big pain.
I'd just say "K&N. Fit and Forget.".
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2006, 10:45   #40
BHPian

how are the K&N's compared to the RActive filters sold by PJSpeed? I Believe the RActive's (base version) are really cheap as well.
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2006, 14:03   #41
BHPian

well the world no.1 aftermarket performance filters are K&N, then u get these GreenCotton filters too. i have the K&N in my Tucson, and it is good! i have a better initial pickup too due to that.!~ i wud say, its a must for all cars! atleats its a must for all my cars!
Insane Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2006, 14:56   #42
BHPian

I love my k&n.it s made a big difference on my bike.Power and mileage.But the only thing is that it S*/@$*ks when the atmosphere is moist.I can give it a 8/10

P.s:it s on my dio.I have k&n stock replacement in my accent and indica

Last edited by HOTROD : 22nd June 2006 at 14:58.
HOTROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2006, 15:58   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil
well the world no.1 aftermarket performance filters are K&N, then u get these GreenCotton filters too. i have the K&N in my Tucson, and it is good! i have a better initial pickup too due to that.!~ i wud say, its a must for all cars! atleats its a must for all my cars!
Does it increase intake noise and do you get more diesel clatter in the cabin? I had one on my Safari, but the intake hum was too much. Thought it was that way with all diesels.

However, the Safari's intake is also VERY close to the firewall between the cabin and the engine bay - perhaps this may explain the increased noise, along with the higher air volumes being sucked in.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2006, 11:12   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
Btw, Myself and 5u3zero use Ractive filters.I wouldn't compare them with K&N since neither of us used K&N.But, every difference that is noticed in K&N is also present in Ractive filters(Made in USA) at just a fraction of the cost.
What are these Ractive filters, throw-away or re-useable? Where do I get them, any internet info or purchase possible, and lastly is there a size that fits the original Baleno and/or Getz filter box?
filcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2006, 23:27   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adit1329
k&n' are not very noticeble on diesels, but on petrol's you can make out the difference easily at around 3000 rpm...

also there are quite a few alternatives like ractive, hks etc
but the mist reliable and popular is k&n
I dont know about that but in my sienna 1.7 TD changing from Stock to K&N made a huge difference as far as acceleration was concerned ...though much cannot be said about top speed which increased only by around 10kmph.
maxbhp is offline   Reply With Quote