Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

View Poll Results: How effective is your K&N filter
Oh! It is the rocket fuel for my car. 16 7.73%
Great. I know it made a difference. Its no rocket fuel though. 82 39.61%
Ok. I would say that it is nice to have. Definitely not as dramatic as many claim it to be. 60 28.99%
What K&N? Its a wastage of money. 30 14.49%
I am using it for over the last 40,000+ kms. 7 3.38%
I have used it for more than 20,000 - 40,000 kms. 16 7.73%
Mine has been in use for 5000 - 2,0000 kms. 35 16.91%
Its comparatively new in my car. 29 14.01%
I have used it for over the last 4 years. 8 3.86%
I have used it for over the last 2-3 years. 14 6.76%
I have used it for over the last 1-2 years. 21 10.14%
Hey, mine is a new filter. 31 14.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Old 7th February 2006, 17:30   #1
Team-BHP Support

Question Rate your K&N please

Guys I was recently wondering on the pros and cons of having a K&N filter. I also felt that there is very little if at all any documentation available about its usage in Indica. And yet this is one car that can do with some helping hands.

Noticeable thing is that most people talk about their last 1.5 to 2 years of experience and at max around 20K kms with a K&N (Ok I just realised that SS has a long term experience with it). This becomes important as I wanted to hear from long-term owners in view of the fact that many sites speak about how K&N is irrelevant to harmful over longer periods. Also, that K&N allows more dust to pass through.

Also, I found that claims about its efficacy also varies wildly. I have talked to owners who are lukewarm about its usage and yet there are others who are absolutely gung-ho about their K&N experience.

Guys could you all please share your views on this. Particularly in terms of the car and the actual gains you have reaped over a longer period.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2006, 17:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

I dont use K&N. But, I use a PJ's Ractive Conical filter on my diesel Sumo NA.

There's a beautiful intake roar that i love.Other than that, i haven't driven my Sumo even till 60kph owing to its use solely inside the city. But, from what PJ's experience in his diesel Amby, the drastic difference is somewhere after 60kph.

Planning to fit one in my Ikon too.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2006, 18:09   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
I dont use K&N. But, I use a PJ's Ractive Conical filter on my diesel Sumo NA.

There's a beautiful intake roar that i love.Other than that, i haven't driven my Sumo even till 60kph owing to its use solely inside the city. But, from what PJ's experience in his diesel Amby, the drastic difference is somewhere after 60kph.

Planning to fit one in my Ikon too.
Hmmm... so an alternative to K&N is also available here. I was wondering. In fact I found lot many sites say that the difference is noticeable at higher RPM and yet lot of people seem to suggest that the car pulls like anything from start.
Old 7th February 2006, 18:22   #4
BHPian

k&n' are not very noticeble on diesels, but on petrol's you can make out the difference easily at around 3000 rpm...

also there are quite a few alternatives like ractive, hks etc
but the mist reliable and popular is k&n
adit1329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2006, 16:23   #5
Team-BHP Support

Hmmm... not many voters as I see it. I am a bit surprised why DoN has voted for all the options.

Come on cherry... you can't say K&N is the rocket fuel for your vehicle and at the same time say that it is the wastage of money. You have chosen all the 12 options!!! Take a stand, and that too if you have some experience with the product. This pole is not there just to while away your time.
Old 9th February 2006, 16:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

Its pretty good. I wouldn't say its a waste of money.
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2006, 14:13   #7
BHPian

I have rated K&N stock filter on my Santro and there is a good amount of diff in power as well as mileage. Am yet to get news if the K&N Stock filter is available for the SWIFT, help anyone?
anarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2006, 21:32   #8
Senior - BHPian

Made a notable difference in power and at around 2k rpm,gives an incredible sound on my kinetic.Wouldnt say its the rocket fuel for my bike but,it deffinately makes a difference.At around 2k bucks it might not be great vfm but anyway,its the cheapest k&n you can buy!!!

binz

ps-Wassup with the don voting for almost every option
binz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2006, 01:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

V1p3r borrowed the Universal K&N filter at the track day and the car showed a HUGE difference at the track day. There was atleast 5% difference.
He can tell more about it.
Old 20th March 2006, 12:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
V1p3r borrowed the Universal K&N filter at the track day and the car showed a HUGE difference at the track day. There was atleast 5% difference.
He can tell more about it.
What car... Baleno ?
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2006, 13:06   #11
BHPian

Recently changed my intake from K&N to HKS pro flow with entire intake heat sheilded with small vent in front left near fog lamp to direct cool air towards the filter using a round pipe & battery relocated to rear hood, very noticeable difference must have gained approx 5-6 hp to wheels
Ford Rocam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2006, 13:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

Rocam, Gr8 to hear u took my suggestion.
Old 20th March 2006, 14:19   #13
BHPian

Yo.... thanks nitrous, many people did told me about this even i had planned long back but didnt get time to do & was waiting for my filter to come in. so when i got the filter last week the very next day i got it installed, will try to load some pics of that in my BHP garage hall soon.
Ford Rocam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2006, 14:45   #14
BHPian

Had a K&N first on my matiz. Made a decent difference there. Top spped upped by 10-15K's. Lovely intake roar.
Using it on my Baleno too. diff not as noticeable as with the matiz, but its there. Also prolly due to the fact that the baleno has so much more grunt than the matiz, it made it harder for me to make out the difference but its there.
BUT... an improperly fitted K&N will kill yr afternoon performance.
There is no place in the matiz & so had to fir it best i could. Used to suffer in the day. Honest experience. Come evening, it was a tiger.
Good fitting most important. I believe i have the pics posted in a thread somewhere - baleno fitting.
Presently am planning to switch to Original K&N with my original airbox, so lets see.
will update on that
Revvhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2006, 15:24   #15
Senior - BHPian

Yes,revvhead.

Free-flow filters just do 50% of the work. The remaining is about how and where u install them.