Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 4th July 2011, 23:11   #1
BHPian

Default Quest for thrust

All started a few years ago when I had a Honda city vtec for company and was finding that I needed more power on tap. Did not believe too much in regular mods for increased bhp but went ahead and fixed an automech exhaust and headers in the vtec and felt great about the roar. Always had my doubts whether sound was mistaken for power. But who cared. Car sounded great and the luxury of flooring it on all ghats in an around pune was addictive.

Engine was great but the handling was pathetic. Wanted to get the suspension fixed for better dynamics and forgot about the lack of outright power. Got pedder springs and custom shocks fixed and drove the car hard. The shocks didn't hold and the car was back to its old ways. A few months later, found that hotbits suspension were available for the vtec and wanted to give it a try. Fixed hotbits on the honda and bingo the handling was phenomenal. The trouble was that it was really stiff and was difficult when you wanted it easy. Had been to MMST track with the car and found that roll was non existent and the car held line beautifully.

The suspension looked good and I never lifted off for bad roads either. But the old desire surfaced once again. I needed more power. Answers were many. Most people on the forum had been through this phase and many have gone ahead and modified their rides.

I got a turbo fixed in the Honda and life was non linear from the word go. It was a beast! Close 144 whp coupled with the hotbits suspension made it one hell of a drive. Took it out on long highway drives and was blown away by the power of the car. It was seriously quick and it took a little while to get used to driving it in attack mode around corners. All in all, it was a fabulous machine as long as it lasted.

It all got pretty messy on a sunday afternoon on my drive back from home in Kerala. Was cruising at good speeds and was in the middle of an overtaking manouver when a bunch of 10th class kids turned up for a drive in their dads i20 and i drove straight into the i20.

Car was a mess with a lot of things broken. No one was hurt. i20 and the bunch of kids on a sunday drive were dazed but with their youthful exuberance intact.

I decided to give the honda away and removed all the turbo components from the car and kept it in my room and spent lots of time thinking about another car that could replace the Honda. Went into overdrive mode and bought an old Ford Mondeo and started enjoying the car. All my regular grievances started cropping up once again. The suspensions were shot and the clutch was in the last part of its life. Put brand new suspensions in the car and it is turning out ot be a brilliant handler. One of the best cars I have ever driven.

Something was not adding up though. I came to the conclusion that the spine crunching acceleration I had experienced with the honda was the difference and even though the 145bhp Mondeo was a phenomenal car, it was nowhere as maniacal.

Could not resist the turbo appeal and I head to a skoda dealership and test drive the TSI and is super excited as I had a Honda turbo to compare with. Loved the feel and power delivery and felt that the handling was below the Mondeo. The TSI had appreciable body roll.

Decided to buy one and read up TSI material from team-bhp. Felt extremely guilty for some reason in choosing the TSI and was in the middle of this raging argument with myself over my illogical fascination for the brand.

But I had to have power. So looked at my swift, went to my room, got all the parts from the Honda and decided to go turbo. The car is putting out 121whp and is a pocket rocket. A set of Tein super street suspensions did the trick for the iffy dynamics of the swift and now it is a small entertainer on tarmac.
megazoid is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 10:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Quest for thrust

Ok so where are we at now,the TSI or a turboed swift ? A passion once ignited can never be killed man and you are the testimony for it. Turboed OHC v-tec to a turboed swift and the TSI could never make up for what you missed.

So do we get some pictures of this new 1.3 monster and a dynograph ?
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 10:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

There we go !! Another Swift turbocharged ! Anyone who goes that route seldom regret the decision. It is great with the turbo & Tein Suspension - I totally understand how you feel !! I felt & still feel the same exhiliration every time I drive my Swift

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 11:06   #4
BHPian

Good to know that you ditched TSI and went for turbo Swift. Even i got a quote of 6lkhs including the car for a 190bhp turbo swift.
brraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 11:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

Pics man!

Always wondered what happened to your OHC and what you were upto with your Mondeo. Why didn't you try boosting the Mondeo, would have been a lot more fun than the OHC too.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 11:09   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazoid View Post
I came to the conclusion that the spine crunching acceleration I had experienced with the honda was the difference and even though the 145bhp Mondeo was a phenomenal car, it was nowhere as maniacal.
Agreed with Pranav. Didn't consider a blower for the Mondeo? It's a brilliantly sorted car.

Quote:
Decided to buy one and read up TSI material from team-bhp. Felt extremely guilty for some reason in choosing the TSI and was in the middle of this raging argument with myself over my illogical fascination for the brand.
Did you finally buy the TSI? If so, there's some awesome bolt-on suspension kits waiting for you (which you probably know by now!)

Quote:
The car is putting out 121whp and is a pocket rocket.
121 at the wheel is sweet! Pics, more details on the parts, more info on the driving experience please. Thanks!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 11:13   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Pics man!

Always wondered what happened to your OHC and what you were upto with your Mondeo. Why didn't you try boosting the Mondeo, would have been a lot more fun than the OHC too.
I miss the OHC. But then it was a long association and had to end sometime. Thought about the Mondeo but the swift was hard to resist as it had the advantage of the tein's being available easily. Have put in a bunch of pics in my bhp garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
Good to know that you ditched TSI and went for turbo Swift. Even i got a quote of 6lkhs including the car for a 190bhp turbo swift.
The TSI is a great car but when I had the option of having power at a much lesser cost with good handling, why go the other way. I use all my cars really hard and if I bought a 16lac baby and worried about throwing it around corners, i would not get much out of it anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
There we go !! Another Swift turbocharged ! Anyone who goes that route seldom regret the decision. It is great with the turbo & Tein Suspension - I totally understand how you feel !! I felt & still feel the same exhiliration every time I drive my Swift
Cheers
Totally agree. I just need to make sure I don't destroy the car like the Honda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Ok so where are we at now,the TSI or a turboed swift ? A passion once ignited can never be killed man and you are the testimony for it. Turboed OHC v-tec to a turboed swift and the TSI could never make up for what you missed.

So do we get some pictures of this new 1.3 monster and a dynograph ?
Will post the dyno charts soon as I can. Have put up a few pics of the car in my garage.
megazoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 11:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

How much did you pay for the Hotbits setup? I ask because I'm thinking of getting Konis with Ground Control coilovers and just want to compare prices.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 12:27   #9
BHPian

@megazoid - You have turbocharged a swift lxi which has no ABS,EBD,Airbags so be careful or replace the car with swift zxi with turbo parts. If that is not an option then upgrade to performance brakes n tyres.
Old 6th July 2011, 18:37   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Agreed with Pranav. Didn't consider a blower for the Mondeo? It's a brilliantly sorted car.

Did you finally buy the TSI? If so, there's some awesome bolt-on suspension kits waiting for you (which you probably know by now!)

121 at the wheel is sweet! Pics, more details on the parts, more info on the driving experience please. Thanks!
Thanks GTO. Will write about the car and how it is performing on the road very soon. Just a weekend is what I require. The coming one looks good to do a long drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
How much did you pay for the Hotbits setup? I ask because I'm thinking of getting Konis with Ground Control coilovers and just want to compare prices.
Hey, when I bought it, came to about 70k for the set.

Quote:
@megazoid - You have turbocharged a swift lxi which has no ABS,EBD,Airbags so be careful or replace the car with swift zxi with turbo parts. If that is not an option then upgrade to performance brakes n tyres.
hmm, you are right. it is a basic trim and I have none of these life savers with me. The brakes are mintex pads but no other upgrades to the system.

Let me run it for a while and see how it holds up and whether its confidence inspiring or not?
Old 13th July 2011, 18:04   #11
BHPian

Had been on a long drive to chelavara falls and covered close to 700kms last weekend with the turboed swift. The trip was a very enjoyable one. Would like to put down the feeling with the car on the road here.

The car rides and handles really well with the Teins. They make a world of difference to the high speed dynamics without unduly upsetting the ride. Since it comes adjustable with 16 levels of damping, it can be adjusted to ones liking by pressing buttons from within the cabin. The EDFC is just for those lazy bones who don't want to open the bonnet and keep turning the knobs. I would recommend these suspensions to people who are looking to better their swift's handling. These really help with or without a turbo or additional power.

The stock swift petrol dies at low revs and one needs to keep it at high revs for it to really work up some pace. But then the highs are also not that great. Everything changes with a turbocharger. What I found is that the drivability improved by a huge margin. It pulls clean and nice even from dead low revs and when your right foot is mashed, there is a good surge of power that takes you very very quickly into three digit land. So does it take you straight into 200's?

No sir no. What it does is a world of difference to the acceleration. The 60 to 150 range is very fast and one can move around in this range very very quickly. I had some reservations about pushing it further than that on account of safety due to crazy cattle and clueless public.

Brakes (pads upgraded) are good but am not sure whether they are adequate for all conditions.

Fuel consumption was a big factor of interest to me and I got an average of 11.77 kmpl for the trip. This was with bursts of extreme acceleration and over a lot of twisties. So I would assume that this mirrors the average case.

The high speed stability of the car is very good thanks to the suspension. I am running 195/60 R15 BFGoogrich tyres which are quite ok but nothing exceptional as far as road holding and braking are considered.

There is a slight turbo lag but nothing to really complain about. I guess the feeling is more so because of the power that comes in after the turbocharger activates. A smaller turbo might help address this one.

Reliability is something that will show in the days to come.

HTH
Old 14th July 2011, 09:25   #12
Senior - BHPian

cool. Why don't you put some video around the twisties? What ECU are you running?
kutlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 09:56   #13
Team-BHP Support

Look what rally driver Megazoid has got for himself. I do miss your VTEC exhaust note on Pune roads. Used to often distinguish your car with that bassy sound. Never knew that you Turbo'ed the baby and blew it too. Congratulations on your Swift looks great indeed. Where did you get all the Turbo work done and how much did the Turbo job and the suspension upgrade cost? Would help prospective aspirants of a Turbo Swift.

Quote:
So does it take you straight into 200's?

No sir no. What it does is a world of difference to the acceleration. The 60 to 150 range is very fast and one can move around in this range very very quickly.
great thought.

Drive safe and keep us updated.

Last edited by moralfibre : 14th July 2011 at 09:59.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 10:06   #14
BHPian

When can we meet? would love to test drive.
Old 14th July 2011, 13:24   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
cool. Why don't you put some video around the twisties? What ECU are you running?
thanks. No videos taken. Link is the ECU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Look what rally driver Megazoid has got for himself. I do miss your VTEC exhaust note on Pune roads. Used to often distinguish your car with that bassy sound. Never knew that you Turbo'ed the baby and blew it too. Congratulations on your Swift looks great indeed. Where did you get all the Turbo work done and how much did the Turbo job and the suspension upgrade cost? Would help prospective aspirants of a Turbo Swift.

great thought.

Drive safe and keep us updated.
RRP at bangalore. Suspensions come for about 80k and the EDFC takes another 27k or so. But for folks who have no issues adjusting it by hand, they save a neat sum ditching EDFC. The basic turbo job is about 2.25l from RRP. This is their basic quote. I had a lot of parts with me from my earlier misadventure.

Quote:
When can we meet? would love to test drive.
You might find it very normal after being used to all that monster torque from the magnum. You are in the super car league rajeev.