Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 16th June 2012, 22:04   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: VW Polo Steering Change

Like rtm, i was also disappointed with the lack of steering mounted controls on my Polo. Did research online and found this link which takes us through replacing the steering wheel on the Polo 6R.

UK-POLOS.NET • View topic - 6R - Multifunction Steering Wheel Retrofit

This modification was done on a LHD Polo, but the author says the mod MAY be easier to do on a RHD Polo. Looks very complicated though.

Can some of the experts here comment on if its easier in a RHD Polo ?

Is it easier if i source a Vento HL steering wheel and try this ?
shashank.nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2012, 03:34   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtm_8055

PS - I am aware of the fact that spy shots of a VW Polo with an updated steering (with controls) have been taken, but I have asked around and no one seems to be sure about when this update will come into place, if it even does. I therefore am not holding myself back for that.
Hi RTM

According to me you could go ahead with the steering wheel offered in vento highline, since I was lucky enough to get the limited edition polo with rcd310 and steering mounted control.

Here is the pick for your reference.

Name:  image3561831587.jpg
Views: 10358
Size:  249.3 KB

Name:  image3981476709.jpg
Views: 6183
Size:  174.0 KB
rareone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2014, 11:52   #18
BHPian

Default Can we fit Rt. Side steering wheel controls on a Polo/Vento?

Hello BHPians,

I was wondering if one can install steering wheel control buttons on the right side as well for added functionality on a Volkswagen Vento/ Polo models that come with only left side buttons for now?

I did find a part that is separately sold : Part no - 5C0 959 538 B

Here is a link to AliExpress for this part: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/OEM-M...656639672.html

A few questions to come up though:

1) If this is doable, one will need to get access to the unit for the connector to go to:

Name:  St1.jpg
Views: 4406
Size:  26.0 KB

As you can see in the below picture, to be able to get to the point itself, one will need to remove the steering cover:

Name:  St2.jpg
Views: 4328
Size:  108.4 KB

Would this interfere with the Airbag at all?

2) Anything to be done through VCDS to get this working (if possible)?

Looking forward to enlightenment on this from the experts.
FireFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2014, 07:56   #19
BHPian

Found this extremely interesting post which has definitely lift up hopes immensely:

Http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...FD-on-your-MK6. This post is primarily targeted at activating MFD toggle functionality by using rt. side steering buttons. Since we already have this on the stalk, can someone confirm if we could use VCDS do make the controls work with the head unit instead?

I've already placed an order for this: Part no - 5C0 959 538 B

Depending on when it arrives, I'll get set for installation. Until then, more research on safely removing airbag unit.

Last edited by FireFoot : 30th October 2014 at 08:20. Reason: Additonal Query:
Old 30th October 2014, 09:03   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFoot View Post
Found this extremely interesting post which has definitely lift up hopes immensely
If it isn’t too late, I’d advise you to cancel the Aliexpress order.

That pair of MFSW modules are for the Jetta’s steering which is different from the Polo’s steering in terms of the construction of those slots where the MFSW modules fit. Notice the following images very very closely.

Jetta’s steering:

VW Polo Steering Change-2014volkswagenjettasteeringwheel.jpg

Polo’s steering:

VW Polo Steering Change-dsc_5438.jpg

Do you see that the bottom portions are different? IIRC the screw holes on the Polo’s wheel differs from the Jetta’s wheel.

This is the one (from the R-line/GTI wheels) you would ideally need:

Name:  Polo_MFSW.PNG
Views: 4624
Size:  617.5 KB

But then again, I am not sure if the stock steering wheels sold in India have the provision of installing this addon. Unless you open the airbag harness of the steering, you cannot figure that out.

I had come across this mod much before, did a lot of extensive research and found out that they do not match. A steering swap is easier and you can source the new one for less than 30k with the airbag harness. You can take the chances regardless and let us know if it fits.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2014, 10:31   #21
BHPian

Is it possible to fit the steering wheel that is available on new Polo to my 1.5 year old Polo?
Ketan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2014, 13:30   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan T View Post
Is it possible to fit the steering wheel that is available on new Polo to my 1.5 year old Polo?
It is. You will however require additional harness for the airbag and the steering controls if your current Polo doesn't have those. If you have those already, it is a fairly easy swap.
Gannu_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2014, 13:36   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
It is. You will however require additional harness for the airbag and the steering controls if your current Polo doesn't have those. If you have those already, it is a fairly easy swap.
Thanks Gannu. I will check with the VW service centre if they can do it for me. Also, will have to check how much it costs and if the warranty goes for a toss.

Last edited by manson : 30th October 2014 at 14:56.
Ketan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2014, 14:04   #24
Senior - BHPian

Great going! Why did you not opt for a flat bottomed steering? To me, it does have a better appeal.
nitinbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2014, 17:57   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
If it isn’t too late, I’d advise you to cancel the Aliexpress order.

That pair of MFSW modules are for the Jetta’s steering which is different from the Polo’s steering in terms of the construction of those slots where the MFSW modules fit. Notice the following images very very closely.
Thanks Gannu. Boy! what a bummer. Guess I just got too excited at the prospect of getting this done

Thankfully I had not placed the order yet. Something went wrong with the site. Anyways no big deal. My Vento is just about a year and a half old. I let it age further and maybe source the steering wheel in future.

On a side note, kudos for your DIYs with cabin light and footwell lights. Definitely on my to-do list for now.