Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2011, 15:37   #76
BHPian
 
revved_up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 688
Thanked: 209 Times
Default Re: My 89 BHP Ford Figo!

Great Job and definately a courageous one Figo_Mba!
Just checked the race chip websiteand a chip for Swift DDIS is also there and at 129 Euros it is very very tempting, considering i have a friend coming down from Germany in 2 weeks.

I have a few questions, maybe you could share your thoughts:

1. Since this is a software remap/re-tune sort of job, why dont manufacturers do it from the factory? Considering almost all the reviews I have read about such tuning boxes have users claiming that the FE also is not affected, some(including racechip and petes websites) also claim that FE is increased.

2. After installing such chips, would the enginer wear and tear increase as compared to stock tuning? If yes, about how much do you think?

3. Petes recommends installing a high performance air filter(like K&N or Green cotton) along with the tuning box, since the air filter also plays a major role. Is it recommended for racechip as well?
revved_up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 16:57   #77
BHPian
 
mtnrajdeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 647
Thanked: 87 Times
Default Re: My 89 BHP Ford Figo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
I have a few questions, maybe you could share your thoughts:

1. Since this is a software remap/re-tune sort of job, why dont manufacturers do it from the factory? Considering almost all the reviews I have read about such tuning boxes have users claiming that the FE also is not affected, some(including racechip and petes websites) also claim that FE is increased.

2. After installing such chips, would the enginer wear and tear increase as compared to stock tuning? If yes, about how much do you think?

3. Petes recommends installing a high performance air filter(like K&N or Green cotton) along with the tuning box, since the air filter also plays a major role. Is it recommended for racechip as well?
@revved_up: My 2 cents
In my point of view, there could be some damage to the car if you frequently floor the throttle. In that case the maximum fuel rail pressure will be frequently reached and may wear out the seals in the fuel system. I opted for this since I rarely cross 3500 rpm in my Swift. I do not think there will be wear and tear on the engine except for the fuel system (reaching designed pressure limits more frequently) and the clutch which has to deal with higher torque. Finally, since the chip ensures that more fuel is being injected into the cylinders, a free flow air filter would definitely be useful. I have just ordered a cosworth replacement filter yesterday. I will get this box through a friend on the 16th of this month, so I will update my findings here.
mtnrajdeep is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 17:56   #78
BHPian
 
figo_mba's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 473
Thanked: 208 Times
Default Re: My 89 BHP Ford Figo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by basky View Post
Rocket? Certainly not. But it moves quite fast. It behaves very well and controlled.


They introduced me to this concept and I was not even aware of Racechip then. Nothing for me to feel offended about. I have no financial interest in it save what I plunked out when it was bought.


Just wait till my wife sees this - the Figo is essentially her car and she rarely lends it to me. All the youngsters in town drop their jaws when they see her shooting past in this bright red Figo.

Do PM if you are passing through Kollam too.
What is your ride then ?
Yeah the same is what I feel, It is quick but not a rocket. Handling is the same and I always liked it.

Have PMed you my number. Please do send me yours as well.
We should do a drag race for pete's and race chip and identify the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Sorry boy that i missed this thread of yours earlier. Man!!! what a fantabulous job you have done. Good show!
Thanks dany. You should be able to make it this time at the bhpians meet.
how was your 30K service.

Guys
I have timed the 0-100kmph (using the android app Speed View) for my race chip figo now.
And the timing is 17.2s and 16.5s in two runs.
So average of around 16.85s . I think the official time for stock Figo is 15.6s. No the race chip figo is not slower than stock figo I am not a race driver.
I need to check 0-100 time on a stock figo now.
figo_mba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 18:28   #79
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ernakulam
Posts: 69
Thanked: 75 Times
Default Difference b/w the tuning boxes available in the market.

Someone here wanted to know the difference between Racechip and Pete's tuning box. So here you go.

There are two kinds of chips basically:
1. IM - Injection Modulation type [eg. Pete's]- Here the time for which the injector remains open is altered. Most of the time the OEM injectors have a tolerance level for the time that the injectors remain open and IM boxes exploit this tolerance level and take the highest tolerance level. Therefore usually they operate within the OEM limits. The main disadvantages is more smoke and oil consumption. You can recongnise the IM boxes by the 4 connectors which goes to each of the injectors.

2. RPM - Rail Pressure Modulation Box [eg. Racechip]- Here the chip increase the rail pressure. The theory is that when rail pressure increases, the amount of fuel going into the cylinder increases than normal circumstances. The main disadvantage is that this puts undue stress on the injectors and are notorious for injector failures or so they say. True or not this is definitely more stressfull for the injectors.

So while both serve the same purpose, RPM type is a bit more risky than IM types while it has some cost and operational advantages over IM types. The Latest generation IM type boxes are expensive since the development cost incurred will be too high on them.

If you find Pete's to be too costly(40k is definitely pushing it) you can dial up your contacts at Belgium or UK and buy the PSI tuning box (Pete's basically is an imported and rebranded PSI box). Its available for 25k or so.
You can check the experience of a tbhpian who did that here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...rectly-uk.html (My experience of buying a PSI (Petes) Power Box directly from the UK!)

Note from the support team: Please paste the link properly again

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 6th October 2011 at 19:15.
itsgeox is offline   (15) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 00:38   #80
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ghaziabad/Hyderabad/Mysore
Posts: 1,416
Thanked: 313 Times
Default Re: Difference b/w the tuning boxes available in the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsgeox View Post
Someone here wanted to know the difference between Racechip and Pete's tuning box. So here you go.

There are two kinds of chips basically:
1. IM - Injection Modulation type [eg. Pete's]- Here the time for which the injector remains open is altered. Most of the time the OEM injectors have a tolerance level for the time that the injectors remain open and IM boxes exploit this tolerance level and take the highest tolerance level. Therefore usually they operate within the OEM limits. The main disadvantages is more smoke and oil consumption. You can recongnise the IM boxes by the 4 connectors which goes to each of the injectors.

2. RPM - Rail Pressure Modulation Box [eg. Racechip]- Here the chip increase the rail pressure. The theory is that when rail pressure increases, the amount of fuel going into the cylinder increases than normal circumstances. The main disadvantage is that this puts undue stress on the injectors and are notorious for injector failures or so they say. True or not this is definitely more stressfull for the injectors.

Are you sure Pete's is IM type? I have heard that it is also RPM type.

If it really is IM type that can perhaps explain why it is so expensive for Fords.
vina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 01:00   #81
BHPian
 
Dinesh_Malhotra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 147
Thanked: 64 Times
Default Re: My 89 BHP Ford Figo!

That`s quite an improvement based on your improved speed times.

doing this modification affects warranty by any means or is it removable during warranty claims ?

regards
Dinesh_Malhotra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 10:56   #82
Senior - BHPian
 
Surprise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,299
Thanked: 129 Times
Default Re: My 89 BHP Ford Figo!

Recently bought a FiestaD & always my purchase of these tuning chips stops at reading it in different websites

At prices less than 10k, this deal is very tempting. There are many who have shown interests for importing this....Why not we try to do a bulk purchase & getting some volume discounts from the manufacturer?
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 11:03   #83
BHPian
 
figo_mba's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 473
Thanked: 208 Times
Default Re: My 89 BHP Ford Figo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinesh_Malhotra View Post
That`s quite an improvement based on your improved speed times.

doing this modification affects warranty by any means or is it removable during warranty claims ?

regards
It is removable alright but not all that easy. If detected by Ford you could lose your warranty. Yes my plan is to remove the race chip in case I have to do any warranty claim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Recently bought a FiestaD & always my purchase of these tuning chips stops at reading it in different websites

At prices less than 10k, this deal is very tempting. There are many who have shown interests for importing this....Why not we try to do a bulk purchase & getting some volume discounts from the manufacturer?
Yes that would be a good idea. DHL jumbo box would cost 20Euros to ship. Our fellowbhpian basilmabraham should be able to shed light on the same.

But I do not think we can do away with the import duty in this channel.

Directly importing into India and delivery at your house would cost 174Euros = 11357 (at Rs 65 for 1 Euro)

Last edited by figo_mba : 7th October 2011 at 11:12.
figo_mba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 12:01   #84
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 861
Thanked: 620 Times
Default Re: My 89 BHP Ford Figo!

@figo_mba

Thanks for this post. The cost v/s performance ratio has got me thinking about this seriously for my Swift.

@itsgeox
That was a good piece of info. Nothing for free eh? So I guess the conclusion to be drawn would be that the injectors would be more susceptible to rail pressure than to the time the injectors remain open.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 20:06   #85
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Delhi
Posts: 48
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: My 89 BHP Ford Figo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
Guys
I have timed the 0-100kmph (using the android app Speed View) for my race chip figo now.
And the timing is 17.2s and 16.5s in two runs.
So average of around 16.85s . I think the official time for stock Figo is 15.6s.
I can help you out with this one. Have done multiple runs with the Figo Exi back home. Timings have varied between 16.1s to 19.4s with a median time of 16.7s. Had kept the 1st and 2nd gearshifts just over 4k, 3rd to 4th a shade under 4k. 100 was attained at 4th at around 3k.

Eagerly following this thread. Will definitely go in for a Racechip in case there are no issues with warranty and justifiable performance gains.

OT, do update about *** experience. From experience, Ford services (unpaid) are costly!
lordavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 15:29   #86
BHPian
 
figo_mba's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 473
Thanked: 208 Times
Default Re: My 89 BHP Ford Figo!

Forgot to mention on important accessory that I got with the Race chip;
The race chip bypass connector. This connector has the same configuration of pins as the race chip and is connected in the same pins as the race chip. So if you gotta give the car for service. Disconnect the race chip. Put the connector in place of race chip and then close connections. Remove the race chip. Start the engine.

The race chip figo becomes stock figo.
Slip the connector out of sight.

Thats it.

Will post pics soon.
figo_mba is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 23:20   #87
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: -_-
Posts: 313
Thanked: 113 Times
Default Re: My 89 BHP Ford Figo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
Forgot to mention on important accessory that I got with the Race chip;
The race chip bypass connector. This connector has the same configuration of pins as the race chip and is connected in the same pins as the race chip. So if you gotta give the car for service. Disconnect the race chip. Put the connector in place of race chip and then close connections. Remove the race chip. Start the engine.

The race chip figo becomes stock figo.
Slip the connector out of sight.

Thats it.

Will post pics soon.
then i guess finding out your 0-100 time without the chip should be easy
waiting for the comparison. i do plan to get a few chips brought down from germany , for the 2 indica vistas (one mine and the other, a friends)and for another friends bmw 320d
mycarhasablower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 17:21   #88
BHPian
 
figo_mba's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 473
Thanked: 208 Times
Default Re: My 89 BHP Ford Figo!

Something interesting happened today.

I removed the chip and connected the bypass connector. So theoretically my figo is a stock figo. But things were different when I took it out for a ride.

The car was not behaving like it was stock. It was like it still had the race chip.

Then I drove around for another 10-15kms and the usual character started coming up and the little rumble at 30kmph in 4thgear all came back. Slowness from 80-100kmph etc

I am wondering if figo's ECU had been learning something from the race chip but could not remember for long and came back to the original form.
figo_mba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 23:28   #89
BHPian
 
whitelion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kolhapur
Posts: 202
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: My 89 BHP Ford Figo!

Yes though I cant ascertain but Figo's ECU and other Microprocessor based systems are Complex to predict about them. However I feel that Figo Engineers have taken very hectic efforts to make programs close to real life situations. One can check Fuel needle which very rarely changes on upward and downward slope of road on which car is moving, nor DTE figures change dramatically. If you come from Highway Ride and recorded DTE figures while on highway and when you are at home the DTE figure is hampered by a very nice margin on negative side. Figo dont like 1st and 2nd gear rides as Far as Fuel Efficiency is concerned. But most of the time in congested Traffic situations its imperative to shift 1st gear dues to powerless 2nd Gear performance.
whitelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 09:46   #90
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 5,039
Thanked: 2,075 Times
Smile Re: My 89 BHP Ford Figo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
I am wondering if figo's ECU had been learning something from the race chip but could not remember for long and came back to the original form.
I am sure this is a the case of Short term memory loss (a la Ghajini).

Is it possible that the race chip when installed was feeding back to the ECU information regarding the fuel pressure or was it the case the ECU on its own was recaliberating itself with new data.

Going OT, But I have seen when I go for a long drive immediately after the service of my Fiesta the mileage and engine response is fantastic which slowly goes down over a couple of months.
ghodlur is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
6 month old Ford Figo DCT: Battery dead 7 times! An ordeal with Bhagat Ford & Ford India Night Raven Technical Stuff 27 20th September 2016 16:25
Team-BHP Car Of The Year 2010. EDIT : It's the Ford Figo! Dippy The Indian Car Scene 231 3rd February 2011 16:32
BHP'ians kindly guide- Is Ford FIGO ok for a 6 Ft tall, hefty fellow? srikanthns Hatchbacks 15 30th September 2010 14:53


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:20.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks