Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 1st November 2011, 10:15   #1
BHPian

Default Euroair Pureair - Car Air Purifier

Hello everyone, I have purchased a cabin air purifier from Eureka Forbes, called Euroair PureAir.

http://www.eurekaforbes.com/air-puri...r-pureair.aspx

Reason for purchase:
I used to think that sitting in an airconditioned car would mean that I am safe from all pollutants , dust and dirt. Very recently, I used to get a smell from the AC blower, for the first few seconds of switching on the AC in my Swift. I have a MyShaldan Neo Peach in my car. The smell was somewhat similar to the concentrated smell of MyShaldan, but I was not able to confirm from the smell. After reading few articles on Team-BHP, and other sites, I used to get a feeling that I am breathing in fungi and other harmful stuff. This made me extremely uncomfortable(mentally atleast) to sit inside the car with AC on. This lead to reading articles on Car Air Purifier, and finally lead to buying the PureAir.

Cost:
Rs 4600/-

Products Considered:
There are not many car air purifiers available in India, but lots available in other countries. This might be due to lack of awareness or maybe we have never thought about the need to have a car air purifier when we have an AC.
Philips had introduced GoPure, an car air purifier, but the cost was very high(Rs 12000). It can be had for Rs 9000 as well, as I read from another thread in Team-BHP.

It was then that I browsed the Eureka Forbes site, and noticed this product priced at Rs 4600.

This model of air purifier is actually manufactured by a company in China called Air-New, and I have seen the same model under different brands. Similarly Eureka Forbes has also rebranded it and selling it here.

Airnew Electronic Technology Co., Ltd.

Buying experience
:
As PureAir was launched only recently in India, it was not available in Kerala. There was no demo unit. Even though I had visited their local office and asked for a demo, there was no further response for two weeks. Then I ordered it through their website. I received it within 6 days. I am the first customer in Kerala from what the local office told me .

User Review:
Even though I dont know if it traps virus, bacteria or fungi, it makes the air inside the cabin fresh and very breathable due to the ionizer which throws out the negative ions.

Attaching Some pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Euroair Pureair - Car Air Purifier-dsc01207.jpg  

Euroair Pureair - Car Air Purifier-dsc01200.jpg  

Euroair Pureair - Car Air Purifier-dsc01202.jpg  

Euroair Pureair - Car Air Purifier-dsc01189.jpg  

Euroair Pureair - Car Air Purifier-dsc01192.jpg  

raj84 is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 13:21   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Euroair Pureair - Car Air Purifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj84 View Post
Hello everyone, I have purchased a cabin air purifier from Eureka Forbes, called Euroair PureAir.
@raj:
What is the life of the filter? Does it require to be cleaned or replaced?

Would be eager to hear your experience after using it for a longer time.
lavish_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 14:24   #3
BHPian

@lavish_n - There are four filters inside. Pre filter, HEPA filter, Silver Nano Activated Carbon Filter and photocatalyst filter.

Pre Filter, HEPA Filter, Silver Nano Activated Carbon Filter - Replace every 6 months
Photocatalyst Filter - Replace once in 12 months

I will soon attach more pictures which will show the various filters used.

When i checked about replacement cost with Eureka Forbes last time, they had told me a cost of 1300 approx.But after visiting their office, I realized they had told about the replacement cost of a home air purifier, since they had not seen the car air purifier before(Kerala). On realizing their mistake, they said the cost of the car air purifier replacement should be way less than 1300.

Hence I am expecting a replacement cost of about Rs 600 per year
raj84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 16:34   #4
BHPian

Its a very good idea in my opinion Raj. Sometimes I too feel some smell coming when the ac is switched on for a minute or so and then its gone.
I have asked for a demo on the site thru the link you posted - thanks for sharing.

Is there any way to fix the purifier inside the car so there are no rattles etc. Loose objects of this size and weight can become dangerous projectiles in a emergency situation.

Please advice/clarify as can't make out from the snaps.
Cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 19:08   #5
BHPian

@Cyborg - Just to inform you about the status of the initial smell from AC, after using this device. The smell exists even after using this device, and I think using any other air purifier would not help in this matter. But thankfully this smell exists only for the first 5 seconds. I have a strong feeling that this is due to MyShaldan Neo, whose smell is not strong, but very mild. It is very difficult to sense the smell of Neo inside the car, in normal conditions. I feel this smell comes out in concentrated way for 5 seconds every morning when we switch on the AC.

I did not have this issue before using MyShaldan Neo. The normal MyShaldan did not have this problem.

But after about 2-3 minutes of using the air purifier, we can sense good quality air, something like a cool feeling in our breathing tube. This is due to negative ions.

Where to fix the purifier:
Unfortunately the device does not come with any adhesive to stick it onto the dashboard. Initially I kept it on the passenger side seat. Later I found out a good location and the unit is pretty much locked on its position now. From the 3rd picture you can see that it is kept above the ashtray holder, and infront of the compartment to hold the CD. There are four small legs(picture 5 shows two legs), which will prevent the unit from moving left and right, by locking against the ashtray holder cubbyhole.

As long as the unit is placed in a location ahead of the driver/front passeneger, there will not be any safety concern of the device turning into a projectile during emergency braking, since it will only go forward and not backward.I have had atleast two emergency braking situations(I do drive safely though ) and the unit did not move from its location.

Not sure where you could fix this on the City or Civic though. The old Swift luckily has a very good spot to fix it as I found out. You could try mounting it on the dashboard using some adhesive stickers which come with products like MyShaldan.

@lavish_n - No the filters are not washable as it is not mentioned in the manual.Manual only mentions that it should be replaced.
raj84 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 09:51   #6
BHPian

Some more pictures

Pic 1.PreFilter can be seen as a black mesh below the Photocatalyst filter(UV lamp can also be seen, and HEPA filter removed)

Pic2. HEPA Filter

Pic3.Photocatalyst filter

Pic 4 and 5. Silver Nano(Ti02) activated Carbon filter(two sides of a single filter)

Pic6. Picture showing exact location of placement of the unit in a Swift
Attached Thumbnails
Euroair Pureair - Car Air Purifier-dsc01197.jpg  

Euroair Pureair - Car Air Purifier-dsc01196.jpg  

Euroair Pureair - Car Air Purifier-dsc01195.jpg  

Euroair Pureair - Car Air Purifier-dsc01194.jpg  

Euroair Pureair - Car Air Purifier-dsc01193.jpg  

Euroair Pureair - Car Air Purifier-dsc01187.jpg  

Last edited by raj84 : 2nd November 2011 at 09:52.
Old 2nd November 2011, 10:33   #7
BHPian

Quote:
@lavish_n - There are four filters inside. Pre filter, HEPA filter, Silver Nano Activated Carbon Filter and photocatalyst filter.
Pre Filter, HEPA Filter, Silver Nano Activated Carbon Filter - Replace every 6 months
Photocatalyst Filter - Replace once in 12 months
Hence I am expecting a replacement cost of about Rs 600 per year
Do let us know once you get to hear from the EF guys on the approx cost. If you have to replace the filter every 6 months then your annual maintenance cost will be Rs. 1200.

In the pic, the device has two buttons, 1 would be for on/off, what is the other button for?
lavish_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 10:44   #8
BANNED

@raj84,
Thanks for detailing and letting us know that such a product exists.
I have a questions and an advice.
If there are any foul gases coming from the a/c vent and that the a/c is in recirculate mode dont you think eveytime the air goes inside the a/c vents will get polluted again and a part of it will reach the occupants given that the purifier is outside the a/c air path.So I think these devices should go inside the a/c system like the filters in home a/c.

I have read that there are a/c flushes available, if you suspect that there are fungal growth please try that.

Also you can get some double sided auto tape and attach the device securely.

Quote:
There was no demo unit. Even though I had visited their local office and asked for a demo, there was no further response for two weeks
I ordered a filter for wet and dry vaccum cleanear around 3 weeks back and yet to get a reply from them.
bullboy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 12:00   #9
BHPian

Is it any better than Sharp?

The details are here:
PRODUCTS | Sharp Plasmacluster Global Website.

This is available for about 10,000 INR.
deepfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 12:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

Questions .
I was looking at the Philips product and had been trying to find some reviews.

How would this help when driving for short distances within the city ? I think this might make more sense on longer duration journeys.
Also ,dont you think this should be located closer to the AC vents so that the AC air is cleaner ? In your case ,you will still end up inhaling the AC air !

Anyways ,thanks for posting .
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 12:51   #11
BHPian

Quote:
@Cyborg - Just to inform you about the status of the initial smell from AC, after using this device. The smell exists even after using this device, and I think using any other air purifier would not help in this matter. But thankfully this smell exists only for the first 5 seconds. I have a strong feeling that this is due to MyShaldan Neo, whose smell is not strong, but very mild. It is very difficult to sense the smell of Neo inside the car, in normal conditions. I feel this smell comes out in concentrated way for 5 seconds every morning when we switch on the AC.
Thanks Raj!
In my case I have put Ambipure in the ac vents and yes, there is no aroma coming from it. Maybe that is the culprit - I'll remove it and see if the smell persists. It's there only for 3-5 seconds and then feels normal.

The sales person from Eureka Forbes is coming most probably this Sunday for a demo to my place - I'll let you know how that works out as well.

Cheers!

Last edited by GTO : 8th May 2012 at 13:02. Reason: Fixing quote
Cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 13:25   #12
BHPian

@lavish_n - Even though the filters need to be replaced twice a year, the cost should yet again be less than 1000, since the filter size is very small compared to the home air purifier(whose annual replacement cost is 1300).

The first button in on/off. The second button is the blower speed control. It also changes the colour of the illumination from blue(low speed) to green(high speed)

@bullboy - Yes, it would be most effective if it was incorporated in the AC system so that the air coming out of AC first travels though this system. But what it does is, it removes whatever contaminants that enter this device, so that the air that gets recirculated will become cleaner over a period of time.

I also heard about AC flushes. 3M shop in Cochin has this facility as one of my friends said. Unfortunately we dont have a 3M shop in Trivandrum.

@deepfusion - I also evaluated the Sharp Model. It can be had for around Rs 8000 also from ebay. But my budget was only Rs 5000 and also this model from Sharp is only an ion generator and does not have any filters from what I understand.

@speedsatya - I can feel the difference for shorter journeys also every day when I commute for work(30 mins journey). The air is fresh within 2 to 3 minutes.

Yes best location is near the AC vent. The location where I have placed is not ideal.

@Cyborg - I hope removing the Ambipure or any freshner for few days will make a difference to the initial smell. Also suggest not to have liquid based air freshner like Ambipure Glade etc. This could cause problems with our breathing system. MyShaldan was recommended by many BHP-ians and even I can vouch for it.

Last edited by raj84 : 2nd November 2011 at 13:28.
raj84 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 15:27   #13
BHPian

Thanks for bringing up a new product, i am not aware such a thing exists. When I get bad odour from my AC i do the following:

- After coming home in the evening, i open all doors
- Set the air circulation mode to fresh
- Adjust the temperature knob for max heat
- Set the fan speed to full
- Let it run for 5 - 10 minutes
- Turn the temperature knob back to its original position
- Switch off the fan and car

Next day morning there will be no smells from my AC. I picked this one long time ago from a t-bhp thread.

Reason why this works is that hot air drys out any water and also kills any fungus in the blowers.
visu03 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 17:42   #14
BHPian

@visu03 - I have seen the same steps in a thread in Team-BHP too. I tried it once and was happy that it would have killed some germs atleast. But the 5 second smell did not stop, and it continued. I will now remove MyShaldan for a few days, and confirm if it is indeed due to this.
Old 2nd November 2011, 17:52   #15
BHPian

Was looking out for room air purifiers when I came across this site :
Atlanta Health Care | Health Care-Air Purifier, Delhi, India, Air Purifier, Ionic Air Purifier, Hepa Air Purifier,Honeywell Air Purifier,L G Air Purifier,UV Air Purifier,Hepa filter Air Purifier,Air Purifier Filter,Alen Air Purifier,ION Air Purifier,

The car purifier pictures look similar to what the OP has posted.

On enquiry, I was quoted 3700/- for the same. This was during Jan/Feb this year.

Last edited by sanjayc : 2nd November 2011 at 17:53. Reason: spelling mistake
sanjayc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote