Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 4th March 2008, 17:54   #16
BHPian

my 2 cents -- its broad enuf for all sorts of hanky panky ( dont get me started ;-) ) --
kpbhatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 17:58   #17
Senior - BHPian

as far as i have searched for a diesel tacho, i have come across the autoguage specially mentioning different tacho made just for the diesel engines in the site, although i need it for my swift, it should be good for the indica diesel too.

i think you can see them here in this site, if you happen to find one please give me the info of the same!

Autogauge

hope you guys find one of these!
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 18:12   #18
Senior - BHPian

Hi kaustubh,

> I was having a query regarding Indica's ECU. I think the 2004 models came
> with an ECU. Need to confirm that.

Could you go through the following messages?

Yahoo! Groups
Yahoo! Groups

Let me see if I can find anything more.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 18:18   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hi greenhorn,

> 2 letters. K&N dunno if they help NA diesels that much though

You are correct, they don't!

Yahoo! Groups

The above has a good explanation.
Old 5th March 2008, 09:33   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobinjv View Post
BUSA, I did mention that page. What I would like to know is if the ECU was present in the BSII model.
As mentioned elsewhere in this discussion, and also the links provided by Dr.trrk, the ones produced after mid-2004 or so, come fitted with ECU's (air temperature and fuel sensors i guess).
The service advisor had said that the alternator requires to be changed if a tachometer is to go into the older models, as said during one of my past visits to the service centre.
dkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2008, 10:00   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Thats not possible. Petes doesnot make it for Tata cars since they arent much reliable.
Don't twist and turn things to give colorful answers which are essentially your own figment of imagination.

All the peted cars are basically the ones which are available internationally and come from big brand houses. The box that you buy are essentially developed abroad. It is only tested extensively here with the local versions of the cars and tweaked to suit the requirements and then released.

Obviously the Tatas are not known well enough globally (though that part is changinging, very fast) nor do they generate enough volumes across the world to justify the development of a Pete's box.

And Busa, when you answer to people's query do so responsibly. And if you are not sure at least put in an IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
No serious as far as i remember Petes said he tested it both didnot find it worthy for the Tata engines as they arenot that solid.
Oh! I missed this part earlier I guess. So will peter be willing to put on record that this is the reason a Pete's box is not available for Tata cars? Or rather, the manufacturers of the box be willing to do so? I think nitrous was very much on line with his reasoning.

Last edited by Zappo : 5th March 2008 at 10:04.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2008, 14:20   #22
BHPian

Default Thanks - Have some more queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi kaustubh,
> I was having a query regarding Indica's ECU. I think the 2004 models came
> with an ECU. Need to confirm that.
Could you go through the following messages?
Yahoo! Groups
Yahoo! Groups
Let me see if I can find anything more.
Thanks trrk.
I went through the 2 links above. Its clearly mentioned that the ECU was introduced in BSII Indica around October 04. Mine is an April 04 model. So no chance there.

Then how does the Tata Indigo manufactured in the same month say Apr 04, output 7 BHP more than the Indica? Is it Fuel Pump recalibration for the Indigo assuming that the Indigo (diesel, NA) also did not have an ECU around that time. The linky does not talk about the Indigo's ECU.

Also can I assume that I can somehow tune the Indica's engine to the same level of tune as that of the Indigo to produce the same power output? If so, how can that be done?
Please let me know if I am wrong here.

Regards,
Kaustubh
kaustubh_vaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2008, 17:14   #23

Default Useful link

Hi Kaustubh

I found a useful link, I guess you can probably judge on your own after going through it.

Link : Engine control unit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks
YOgendra!!!
yogenkale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2008, 17:33   #24
Senior - BHPian

Hi dkamath,

> The service advisor had said that the alternator requires to be changed if a
> tachometer is to go into the older models, as said during one of my past visits > to the service centre.

I would tend to disagree here. Mine is one of the first V2s that landed in Cochin. It is a Feb2001 registration.

The alternator in that model had the necessary output for tachometer. Though I never put in a tachometer, the output was used to check RPM when Autoclutch was installed in it.
Old 6th March 2008, 08:05   #25
Senior - BHPian

I think one of our members, ananthkamath has done a mod to his diesel indica with the exhaust. I have seen this thread recently. His idea looks good for any diesel indica owners looking for performance mods. I will try out this method on our indica after getting another a second car.

Can anyone find that thread?
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2008, 11:54   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
I think one of our members, ananthkamath has done a mod to his diesel indica with the exhaust. I have seen this thread recently. His idea looks good for any diesel indica owners looking for performance mods. I will try out this method on our indica after getting another a second car.

Can anyone find that thread?
here it is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
Well the basics for a diesel:

1) For a NA car: Maximize velocity upto muffler and then dump. Practically, this means you should use a pipe thats close to stock in size (maybe even smaller, thats what I've done on the Indica)...Run it all the way to the back and have a freeflow muffler there.
Headers may not work as efficiently as in a petrol because many diesels dont have valve overlap. Don't quote me on this though, headers are still a long way off for me as far as diesels are concerned.

2) For a turbo car:

Part 1:Maximize velocity upto turbo
Part 2: Dump.

Good News: The factory guys already did part 1 for you

Better News: They didnt do part 2 so its very easy to make your car stand out in terms of performance. Run a diffuser (or a plain large pipe that matches turbo exit if space is an issue) into the largest possible plenum you can fit under the car. Then, use the stock exhaust after that. See how the evil diesel starts flying after that!
some more info in the following posts as well.

raj.
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote