Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 2nd December 2012, 23:36   #136
BHPian

Default Re: PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
That would be overkill. I can try cf-ing the orange monster's RVMs. But I'd need to get a proper hair dryer for that. This one is too small and doesn't blow much air.

About the phone, it would be for a galaxy note. So maybe it should look kinda "hatke". If it doesn't suit well can always put it on something else.
Forgive me for asking but the orange monster would be the figo or the Anhc?? Or am I missing something here..

The note would look good with a Cf back panel. All that size would really bring out the CF design.

All the best with Cf-ing your things..
P.S. Really hope its an actual 3D vinyl..
Enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2012, 00:36   #137
BHPian

Default Re: PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
Forgive me for asking but the orange monster would be the figo or the Anhc?? Or am I missing something here..

Orange monster is the name of my Duke

The note is in white, so Im thinking how well it might look but in any case Ive got two covers for it so no problem there.

Whether its a 3d vinyl or not, i shall post here once I get the delivery Maybe day after.

Cheers
Parthasarathig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:31   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

At last, finished my vinyl on this one:
PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-wp_000191.jpg

Difficulties faced:
  • Plastic panels with dressing will just NOT let the Vinyl stick unlike painted panels
  • Had to degrease the panel to remove the dressing, yet the adhesion was not so good
  • Had multiple curves, bends, grooves. Took some good amount of heating.
  • Had to stick two portions together.

If you are applying to plastic panels, make sure you strip off any oil or dressing. Here, it gave me trouble as heating would make the film come off the curves as adhesion was not so strong. Now, I will no longer flood this thread with CF lookalikes Or until someone gets me some more vinyl!
audioholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2012, 13:16   #139
BHPian

Got delivery of the vinyls today. Now i donot know whether or not to call it a 3d vinyl. I can feel the rough edges in the form of grooves but they are not too deep. The surface doesnt feel plain unlike other vinyls. So is it 3d?

Name:  ForumRunner_20121203_131543.png
Views: 4324
Size:  664.3 KB

Also, can printing via normal printer be done on these vinyls? I want to print some white text on them. Will normal printer ink stay on these vinyls?

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 3rd December 2012 at 13:37.
Old 3rd December 2012, 13:27   #140
BHPian

Where in mumbai is the 3M place ? where i can get vinyl wrapping done ?
Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2012, 13:56   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Got delivery of the vinyls today. Now i donot know whether or not to call it a 3d vinyl. I can feel the rough edges in the form of grooves but they are not too deep. The surface doesnt feel plain unlike other vinyls. So is it 3d?

Also, can printing via normal printer be done on these vinyls? I want to print some white text on them. Will normal printer ink stay on these vinyls?
The texture does not seem so deep as compared to what I had. For printing, normal inkjet wont work. You need to get eco-solvent printing in a digital press.
audioholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2012, 14:10   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
The texture does not seem so deep as compared to what I had. For printing, normal inkjet wont work. You need to get eco-solvent printing in a digital press.
Can you post a pic of the material you have in normal light? This material flexes easily with a hair dryer. Here's an effort from my side First time CF DIY

PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-asfaga.jpg

Some of the edges have come out unfinished. But this pendrive was too small for my fingers. Any tips on how to handle the small objects?
Old 3rd December 2012, 14:33   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
3m is at laxmi industrial estate andheri and also at borivli link road.
even those local sticker walas have CF vinyl these days.
StrangeWizard is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2012, 14:35   #144
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1021405

Where did you order it from ? whats the size and the cost ? and which city do you reside in ?

I plan to order the same. Is it the 3M DI NOC ?
seedyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2012, 14:49   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can you post a pic of the material you have in normal light? This material flexes easily with a hair dryer. Here's an effort from my side First time CF DIY
Here are some pictures in daylight. You can see the pattern in the close up image. It is deep and reflects light intensively. Any vinyl sheet will flex like rubber Thats how they go about wrapping entire cars. Just heat it and it will set into any shape you want.

PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-dsc07309.jpg

PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-dsc07316.jpg

PICS : Carbon fibre (vinyl sticker) bonnet for the Ford Figo and Wagon R-dsc07318.jpg

Quote:
Some of the edges have come out unfinished. But this pendrive was too small for my fingers. Any tips on how to handle the small objects?
Take an Iron Box, and place an old cotton cloth over it. Set to medium heat, and once the cloth warms, just use it to press the sheet in any way you like. It will take shape easily.
audioholic is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2012, 15:07   #146
Senior - BHPian

Here are a couple of pics of the Swift's roof that was CF'd.
The edges need to be sorted out, as some rough cutting was done.

From what I understand, these vinyls are a actually a DIY, if you have the right set of tools.

Name:  CF1.JPG
Views: 3593
Size:  108.5 KB

Name:  CF2.JPG
Views: 7006
Size:  134.6 KB

P.S: pliss to ignore the dust on the car. This was clicked in the evening, after a day's outing
Swanand Inamdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2012, 15:18   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage View Post

Vinyl Wrapping is done at 3M Car Care centers. As far as I know know, in Mumbai 3M has three centers

a) Andheri West

b) Navi Mumbai

c) Borivli
arup.misra is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2012, 16:07   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Got delivery of the vinyls today.
Thanks for the pics

Well that's a good effort for a first time DIY. Ill be ordering the same vinyl today. Lets see how the Cf'ed laptop turns out

P.S. Can you please upload a couple of more pics of the vinyl..

Last edited by Enigmatic : 3rd December 2012 at 16:22.
Old 3rd December 2012, 17:21   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic

Thanks for the pics
Here you go enigmatic

Name:  ForumRunner_20121203_171439.png
Views: 3451
Size:  651.7 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20121203_171514.png
Views: 3485
Size:  659.1 KB

Ladies and gentlemen, i now present to you SD Carbon fibre edition
Audioholic thanks for that tip. This vinyl stretches a lot. The side of the pendrive i did it with a vinylhalf its length just by heating and stretching.
Attached Images

Parthasarathig is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2012, 18:31   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Here you go enigmatic
Thanks Parthasarathig

It looks good, and you are getting better with every DIY project