Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2011, 14:46   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dombivli
Posts: 2,627
Thanked: 1,191 Times
Default Painting the numberplate

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but in case it isn't, please suggest where I can post this.

The other day I was stopped by a traffic cop, a rare occurrence. After the mandatory request to view the license and enquiry about the vehicle papers, he revealed that the reason I was stopped was my number plate was not in order. I was surprised, since I don't use fancy numberplates and the lettering is also in Roman. I got down with a cleaning cloth, ready to wipe it clean in case any mud had splashed onto it (fat chance since rains are long gone).

The problem seemed to be the front number plate had rust spots in many places and the number indeed could not be read correctly from a distance. I acknowledged the fault and promised to attend to it immediately. I don't know if the matter was too small or whether he was impressed by my response, but he let me go.

Now once the promise has been made, it must be kept. So as soon as I was back from work I visited a local hardware store and procured white and black oil paint (50gm Rs. 20/- each) and a couple of brushes (I think size 6 and 8, with short length of hair).

I then repainted the entire surface around the lettering with the white paint, making sure to coat the rusted spots over and over three to four times. Then with a smaller brush I started working on the lettering, again coating the rusted surface three to four times, trying to reproduce the original lettering as neatly as possible.

Finally the work was done, after about two hours in all. Money spent was under Rs. 100, satisfaction immense!

For anyone else who is inclined to take up a similar DIY, I would like to point out a flaw which I realized after I finished half the work:

Use a masking tape (the black insulation tape would do too) to cover the lettering completely, so the remaining plate can be painted white without any hindrance, with a larger brush, even strokes and the entire finish would be much better.

Then removing the masking tape, you can paint the lettering.


The results of this DIY are nowhere compared to a professional quality numberplate, however the job can be easily done without any specialized knowledge or tools, can be done anytime (very important if you have to do it overnight) and provides a lot of satisfaction (the essence of any DIY).
honeybee is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2011, 15:38   #2
BHPian
 
rohan_iitr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 992
Thanked: 401 Times
Default Re: Painting the numberplate

If the number plate has started rusting, even the new coat of paint will start flaking off after a while.

Better to buy a new number plate, preferably high security type.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2011, 15:54   #3
Distinguished - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 3,736
Thanked: 2,853 Times
Default Re: Painting the numberplate

There's another option you could try out. Remember when the no. plate system was changed ie. private vehicles have black background.

For all existing vehicle no. plates, the sticker guys simply pasted a white sheet on the plate. And then, paste the numbered stickers.

So, if the plate is rusted, you could just paste that sheet over it.

Cost ~250 IIRC.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2011, 17:14   #4
BHPian
 
hrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 915
Thanked: 361 Times
Default Re: Painting the numberplate

Nice Honeybee. You have complied with the law and done a little DIY which you are obviously proud off!! Keep it up.
hrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2011, 18:41   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dombivli
Posts: 2,627
Thanked: 1,191 Times
Default Re: Painting the numberplate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
If the number plate has started rusting, even the new coat of paint will start flaking off after a while.

Better to buy a new number plate, preferably high security type.
No worries, I have hardly used any paint! I could always repaint it To be honest, I don't think going for a high security plate for an eight year old hatch would be a wise investment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
So, if the plate is rusted, you could just paste that sheet over it.

Cost ~250 IIRC.
Yes, a good option, but painting has its own fun! That reminds me, if I could use white and black tape both, I could get both the background and the lettering done perfectly. I shall try this the next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Nice Honeybee. You have complied with the law and done a little DIY which you are obviously proud off!! Keep it up.
Thanks for the compliments!
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 15:08   #6
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 922
Thanked: 378 Times
Default Re: Painting the numberplate

I guess it's illegal to have stickers in place of letters on the number plate. The back-ground as well as the font has to be painted on a metal number plate.
jinojohnt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 16:53   #7
BHPian
 
deep_bang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore / Boise
Posts: 594
Thanked: 288 Times
Default Re: Painting the numberplate

True. It is illegal to have stickers for letters.
However, 99% of the cars i see have stickers. So, its just a rule that is not enforced at all probably because it does not make much sense too !

If one has to fake a plate, he can fake it with paint too.
deep_bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 17:11   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dombivli
Posts: 2,627
Thanked: 1,191 Times
Default Re: Painting the numberplate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
I guess it's illegal to have stickers in place of letters on the number plate. The back-ground as well as the font has to be painted on a metal number plate.
I don't know if the numberplate has to be of metal, because I have a spare numberplate which is made of some acryllic-like material. And it has the black masking tape attached in place of the lettering!
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 17:39   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
rajeev k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Emerging Metro
Posts: 3,306
Thanked: 1,730 Times
Default Re: Painting the numberplate

Sticker based lettering is not allowed as per rules. Another DIY is make stencil from computer print outs and then apply paint with a rubber foam. Done.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2011, 00:28   #10
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: mumbai
Posts: 450
Thanked: 181 Times
Default Re: Painting the numberplate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
I guess it's illegal to have stickers in place of letters on the number plate. The back-ground as well as the font has to be painted on a metal number plate.
Hi everybody
Beat comes with a acrylic type of sheet with numbers stuck over it.Is it illegal in Bombay?The car was sold with this type.
Somebody please clarify.
Thanks and regards
faustus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2011, 12:51   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dombivli
Posts: 2,627
Thanked: 1,191 Times
Default Re: Painting the numberplate

I think it's illegal. You will have to get it painted. I haven't tried painting on the acryllic surface, but worst case situation is you will have to switch to metallic plates. Follow up with the dealer for the same if he sold the car with numbers made out of tape and stuck to it.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 08:55   #12
SRK
Senior - BHPian
 
SRK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,161
Thanked: 352 Times
Default Re: Painting the numberplate

Guys!
I have a question:
Why is an acrylic no. plate with letters & numbers stickered on it illegal?
What kind of rule is that?
SRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 09:06   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
IQBAL VEERJI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SAAT BUNGLA, BAMBAI.
Posts: 1,040
Thanked: 282 Times
Default Re: Painting the numberplate

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but in case it isn't, please suggest where I can post this.

The other day I was stopped by a traffic cop, a rare occurrence. After the mandatory request to view the license and enquiry about the vehicle papers, he revealed that the reason I was stopped was my number plate was not in order. I was surprised, since I don't use fancy numberplates and the lettering is also in Roman. I got down with a cleaning cloth, ready to wipe it clean in case any mud had splashed onto it (fat chance since rains are long gone).

The problem seemed to be the front number plate had rust spots in many places and the number indeed could not be read correctly from a distance. I acknowledged the fault and promised to attend to it immediately. I don't know if the matter was too small or whether he was impressed by my response, but he let me go.

Now once the promise has been made, it must be kept. So as soon as I was back from work I visited a local hardware store and procured white and black oil paint (50gm Rs. 20/- each) and a couple of brushes (I think size 6 and 8, with short length of hair).

I then repainted the entire surface around the lettering with the white paint, making sure to coat the rusted spots over and over three to four times. Then with a smaller brush I started working on the lettering, again coating the rusted surface three to four times, trying to reproduce the original lettering as neatly as possible.

Finally the work was done, after about two hours in all. Money spent was under Rs. 100, satisfaction immense!

For anyone else who is inclined to take up a similar DIY, I would like to point out a flaw which I realized after I finished half the work:

Use a masking tape (the black insulation tape would do too) to cover the lettering completely, so the remaining plate can be painted white without any hindrance, with a larger brush, even strokes and the entire finish would be much better.

Then removing the masking tape, you can paint the lettering.


The results of this DIY are nowhere compared to a professional quality numberplate, however the job can be easily done without any specialized knowledge or tools, can be done anytime (very important if you have to do it overnight) and provides a lot of satisfaction (the essence of any DIY).
Hi, boss instead of all that rework again and again this method of fit it and forget it is best.Get those embossed type no. plates, directly from the manufecturers, at quite a diff in price as compared to those no. plates shop guys. Ishall PM you direct contact they deliver the plates it at your home.Rubb Rakhaa....
Attached Thumbnails
Painting the numberplate-cam31.jpg  

IQBAL VEERJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 09:35   #14
SRK
Senior - BHPian
 
SRK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,161
Thanked: 352 Times
Default Re: Painting the numberplate

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Hi, boss instead of all that rework again and again this method of fit it and forget it is best.Get those embossed type no. plates, directly from the manufecturers, at quite a diff in price as compared to those no. plates shop guys. Ishall PM you direct contact they deliver the plates it at your home.Rubb Rakhaa....
Sirji,
Could you send the same across to me too.
I am also interested in getting these plates.
SRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 11:08   #15
BHPian
 
hrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 915
Thanked: 361 Times
Default Re: Painting the numberplate

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Hi, boss instead of all that rework again and again this method of fit it and forget it is best.Get those embossed type no. plates, directly from the manufecturers, at quite a diff in price as compared to those no. plates shop guys. Ishall PM you direct contact they deliver the plates it at your home.Rubb Rakhaa....
Please PM me the address and related cost you had to pay too
hrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
UK Police Cars get 'automatic numberplate recognition' system arjab The International Automotive Scene 1 16th March 2015 10:53
Strange NumberPlate chanapli Street Experiences 42 15th November 2007 11:48
Help needed in Hit and run (Red Scorpio - Numberplate 6184) tmanish76 Street Experiences 31 1st October 2007 10:11
Beeding painting msk_kapoor Modifications & Accessories 1 9th January 2006 17:56


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:33.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks