Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 13th March 2006, 16:18   #1
BHPian

Default My Experience with Iridium Plug on my esteem with LPG

Hi all,

So finally installed new iridium plug in my 1995,carburetor esteem fitted with K & N replacement filter & LPG kit.
The performance is just mind blowing......i cant imagine my car having such an acceleration.....it just crosses 0to80 within no time......much much better then what I had.......mileage not at all affected.....but yet to see how much gain in it..............
Few point which I want to share......after installing K&N filter......I had done my carburetor setting........Opened air screw more & allowed more air........& my gas supply made rich too .....not so much rich to affect my mileage......this effort took almost 4 days of contant trial & error .........then finally at one point of time I found car just gliding on road with much more power at entire rpm range............then i waited to see whether this setting is good for incresed mileage or not.........& this setting made me happy as it increased my mileage to nearly 1Km per Kg of gas.
Also I adjusted the Iridium plug gap.......i made it narrow by 2to3mm.......
& result is wonderful.....
I tested my car on petrol too.........pick up is so much improved.car feels so much lighter.....responsive..........
I havent changed ingnition coil....plug wire...but response is excellent......
I wish that all users running on LPG gas must take advantage of this spark plug.......they are indeed good for engine running with LPG.........
WIll post soon after checking my mileage...........

__________________________________________________ ______________

Optimizing the resourcesEconomically is My Passion,This habbit extended to everything I possess.
finetuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2006, 16:29   #2
BHPian

Hey

I hope you are enjoying your ride very much.

Just wanted 2 know for how much did ya get the Iridium Plugs & from where in Mumbai.

Thanx
rareone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2006, 16:37   #3
BHPian

Cost is 2700 for a set of 4 plug from Four Season Automobile at Tardeo

Contact number 4940444........contact person is Mr.Pande
Old 13th March 2006, 18:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thats around 700 per plug.

OWS plugs cost around 750 each.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2006, 18:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

What OWS? Please elaborate..
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2006, 18:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

OWS is a performance brand. Try speedworksindia.com
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2006, 10:11   #7
BHPian

hey finetuning,

Is that a stock K&N replacement filter that you have gone for ? how much does that cost you and from where did u get it in Mumbai ? what mileage do u get in petrol mode ?

I too have a carbed 95 esteem petrol ( no LPG) though and was contemplating going for this filter since the past few days and hence your feedback would surely help.

~A
adityapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2006, 14:00   #8
BHPian

Dear Adityapd,

Its replacement filter.Price 4700 from Four Season Automobile at tardeo,contact no.24940444...........my mileage with petrol not yet checked as most of time I drive with lpg.But sure its 10+.
With carburetor u need to adjust setting to fully utilise this filter.Just open air screw more then adjust fuel setting accordingly.U have to adjust this till u get perfect balance of power & mileage.I so much prefer carburetor for this unlike mpfi.

This filter really help engine work more efficiently.U dont have to regret.But one thing very sure,ur engine must be in optimum condition to pass on benefit to u.Most of time after using such products ppl complain of not getting desired result & culprit is health of engine & other system.

So new spark plug,tuning,good clutch,good oil will only help running car
better.......if all these not working in optimum condition then how Best filter can perform?

Enjoy....
Old 14th March 2006, 16:44   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finetuning
Dear Adityapd,

Its replacement filter.Price 4700 from Four Season Automobile at tardeo,contact no.24940444...........my mileage with petrol not yet checked as most of time I drive with lpg.But sure its 10+.
With carburetor u need to adjust setting to fully utilise this filter.Just open air screw more then adjust fuel setting accordingly.U have to adjust this till u get perfect balance of power & mileage.I so much prefer carburetor for this unlike mpfi.

This filter really help engine work more efficiently.U dont have to regret.But one thing very sure,ur engine must be in optimum condition to pass on benefit to u.Most of time after using such products ppl complain of not getting desired result & culprit is health of engine & other system.

So new spark plug,tuning,good clutch,good oil will only help running car
better.......if all these not working in optimum condition then how Best filter can perform?

Enjoy....
hey finetuning thanks for your inputs...but will the 4 seasons guy also help me with the carburettor tuning after installing the filter or should i catch hold of my local mechanic to do the same ? also it seems like getting the perfect balance between mileage and performance seems to a trial & error job for which which the mileage would need to be calculated several times upon tweaking with the carb settings...am i right ?

~A
adityapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2006, 03:06   #10
BHPian

what brand Iridium u using...
Denso or NGK...
EVO6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2006, 12:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So finally installed new iridium plug in my 1995,carburetor esteem fitted with K & N replacement filter & LPG kit.
The performance is just mind blowing......i cant imagine my car having such an acceleration.....it just crosses 0to80 within no time......much much better then what I had.......mileage not at all affected.....but yet to see how much gain in it..............
Well this sounds great.

Quote:
Few point which I want to share......after installing K&N filter......I had done my carburetor setting........Opened air screw more & allowed more air........& my gas supply made rich too .....
The air screw on the carb would not be of any help in a LPG kitted esteem running on gas as the airscrew is used to regulate fuel flow through a carburettor and is used to vary the AFR. The change that you made for the increase in gas flow to compensate for more air coming through the airfilter is the correct approach.

Quote:
Also I adjusted the Iridium plug gap.......i made it narrow by 2to3mm.......
& result is wonderful.....
If you made the gap narrower I would suggest that you go back to a good mech and get your ignition settings checked.

Quote:
I tested my car on petrol too.........pick up is so much improved.car feels so much lighter.....responsive..........
I havent changed ingnition coil....plug wire...but response is excellent......
I wish that all users running on LPG gas must take advantage of this spark plug.......they are indeed good for engine running with LPG.........
WIll post soon after checking my mileage...........
Well did you ever consider that the K&N and the Tuning might have given you more bang for the buck than the plugs. Yes plugs do play an important role in how fuels are burnt, however just using the plugs is not the right approach suggest that you look at the heat ranges required for the right application and get the correct plugs for those needs. The following page clearly explains what are the heat ranges in plugs and why they are used:

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/sparkplugs.html
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2006, 13:20   #12
BHPian

How many kilometers has your car clocked ???
CaliforniaKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2006, 13:52   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
OWS is a performance brand. Try speedworksindia.com
yup i use OWS too.
Nice plugs
though i can get them much cheaper than 750
cbr1000f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2006, 16:19   #14
BHPian

Hi Pshyco,

Indeed K & N gave more performance boost with correct carburetor setting.But what I meant to say that after installing iridium plug & narrowing down gap....really my car is much more responsive.....Acceleration is improved & can be felt.
Regarding setting of air srew.....it is definitly advisable to open it with K & N filter then open incoming gas setting at Vaporiser end.
Regarding spark plug.....i asked Four Season ppl to check plug number to be used with my esteem.Its running so well & heat range is ok.
I think no need to check ignition system with slight reduction in spark plug gap.

Enjoy..........
Old 16th March 2006, 16:22   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityapd
hey finetuning thanks for your inputs...but will the 4 seasons guy also help me with the carburettor tuning after installing the filter or should i catch hold of my local mechanic to do the same ? also it seems like getting the perfect balance between mileage and performance seems to a trial & error job for which which the mileage would need to be calculated several times upon tweaking with the carb settings...am i right ?

~A
Yes...I think they will help...just ask them this before buying....