Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 15th December 2009, 16:39   #16
BHPian

BMC air filters, almost all high performance cars use them,

Ferrari,mclaren in F1 use them , I use them as well hehe

Jokes apart, Filter is much better built than what I have experienced before.
Kinetik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 17:31   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash View Post
Ok. So I am back with my stock filter. And am somehow enjoying the moments. I would probably stick to them for good.

I don't know if K&N is really worth all the stress+mhp vs performance. I did'nt notice any favourable change in FE. You need to be careful with compressed air. No water should get in. Engine warranty may get void.

Anyway, the dealer's pretty sure he can get an exchange, so let's see.
If not, K&N's over for me for the next couple of years...

cheerio.
I didnt notice any change in performance or FE. Ive recently installed a replacement filter for my 2003 Esteem (part number [COLOR=#800080]E-9132[/COLOR]), but I dont see any difference at all. Not even a change in the way the car sounds.

Ive read a lot on these forums about the noticeable increase in BHP and the induction noise blah blah. But nothing of that sort i see in my car. I do rev the car sometimes to 4 -5k rpm...but it sounds just like what it used to with a stock filter.

Is there something I have not done maybe to acheieve all that I've read in these forums?

The filter was bought and installed form a dealer whose name is mentioned in the K&N website. I have the reciept/warranty card/stickers et all....but no change/difference noticed in performance or sound

Gurus...any tips to help me get the benefits of this filter swap?

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.
Kairalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 19:05   #18
BHPian

Hi, check this link out for more information about induction kit/filters and other aspects of modification. Very informative

http://www.vdiatech.com/docs/haynes.pdf (30MB)
vdiatech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 18:15   #19
BHPian

Thumbs down

Thank you for the link. The document is very informative indeed.

But if I have to read all that to find a solution to the issues I mentioned, I am confused why many folks had said they just swapped the K&N filter with the stock one and felt the difference - even if it is marginal.

Agreed, I may not be able to feel the "marginal" difference and may need special equipment and/or expertise to measure the difference, but then so many have mentioned about the so called "induction roar" at high revs. I am also eager to hear that.

What am I missing? Or maybe ?

I can really read up all that stuff to figure this out.

If anyone in this forum has experienced similar issues and have resolved them without resorting to many more mods, please reply.

Hoefully, I dont end up being one dissapointed K&N user, and Rs.5K poorer.

Gurus - please help!
Old 18th December 2009, 20:01   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairalee View Post
Thank you for the link. The document is very informative indeed.

But if I have to read all that to find a solution to the issues I mentioned, I am confused why many folks had said they just swapped the K&N filter with the stock one and felt the difference - even if it is marginal.

Agreed, I may not be able to feel the "marginal" difference and may need special equipment and/or expertise to measure the difference, but then so many have mentioned about the so called "induction roar" at high revs. I am also eager to hear that.

What am I missing? Or maybe ?

I can really read up all that stuff to figure this out.

If anyone in this forum has experienced similar issues and have resolved them without resorting to many more mods, please reply.

Hoefully, I dont end up being one dissapointed K&N user, and Rs.5K poorer.

Gurus - please help!
Why not click some pic's & put them up here ?
Even if you are not feeling the "slight performance" hype you should be able to hear the induction sound !

Last edited by Neil.Bhujbal : 18th December 2009 at 20:04.
Neil.Bhujbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 21:36   #21
BHPian

Hi, with the stock replacement you will not hear the roar. Also the improvement is very minimal, hence you may not feel it. This is true for k&n and other brands.

You should have bought it from ebay for 3k, instead of indian retail price of 4.9k
I would also suggest a throttlebody cleaning to complement the air filter.

@neil, he has stock replacement, hence no induction sound or need for pic

Last edited by vdiatech : 18th December 2009 at 21:51.
Old 18th December 2009, 21:54   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdiatech View Post
hi, with the stock replacement you will not hear the roar. and also the improvement is very minimal, hence you maay not feel it. this is true for k&n and other brands.

you should have bought it from ebay for 3k, instead of indian retail price of 4.9k

@neil, he has stock replacement, hence no induction sound or need for pic
I had thought so,first because of the low price & second because of the no sound thing.

But then the part no he has mentioned in post no 17 does not look like a stock replacement one.

Last edited by Neil.Bhujbal : 18th December 2009 at 21:55.
Old 18th December 2009, 22:05   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil.Bhujbal View Post
I had thought so,first because of the low price & second because of the no sound thing.

But then the part no he has mentioned in post no 17 does not look like a stock replacement one.
Hi Neil, I understand why you thought its a conical. I checked the link too it does look like a flattened out conical, but it is a stock replacement filter !
Old 19th December 2009, 10:18   #24
BHPian

ehehe Ok, I thought the stock replacement one's were always those rectangular shaped.

But how does that 'flattened out conical' fit into the stock air filter box ?

Last edited by Neil.Bhujbal : 19th December 2009 at 10:20.
Old 19th December 2009, 10:46   #25
BHPian

Quote:
ehehe Ok, I thought the stock replacement one's were always those rectangular shaped.

But how does that 'flattened out conical' fit into the stock air filter box ?
I will eat my words now. I dont know either. My comment based on the information on K&N website ( the link posted ) where it is called a replacement filter.

May be some Baleno owners/mechs can say what a stock baleno filter looks like.
Old 8th January 2010, 21:51   #26
BHPian

Quote:

The part number "E-9132" is of a stock replacement filter - for the Maruti Esteem, as mentioned in the K&N website.

Nevertheless, it appears that this filter is anyways pointless, as mentioned in this thread.
Wish I had read this before I invested in the filter. Hopefully other gullible novices like me do not end up with such wasteful investments.