Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 25th March 2006, 16:04   #1

Default Baleno Conical K&N help!

Hi there,

I've been running a conical extreme K&N in my Baleno for the last few months.

I recently noticed that the filter mesh has grooves bent through it's central part. The first (outer) half of the filter now has become more cylindrical whereas the second (towards the intake pipe) is still conical. There are grooves all around the filter which are bending the filter.

Is my filter damaged? Is it installed correctly?

Thanks
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2006, 19:18   #2
BHPian

Hi Slash,

whats the purpose of 'conical extreme k&n' ??

advantages, cost??
venkatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2006, 19:49   #3

Conical filters tend to provide better air intake than the cylindrical ones. The extreme version is a slightly larger conical filter than the std, thereby providing more air ratio. I really don't know how much performance difference there is between the cylinderical and the conical. I was pretty much influenced by others who upgraded their cylindrical to conicals and swore by the difference... and I went ahead and put the conical as my first filter straight away.

It cost me about 8K. It was decided that we will retain the orginal intake pipe instad of putting an angular aluminium kit. This way the airflow is smooth and direct.

However, I am now getting these perforations in the middle and am confused whether they are common to these filters or could they be a cause of pending damage to the engine...
Old 25th March 2006, 22:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

Your filter is damaged beyond repair! Seems like somone messed with it cause i dont think its touching anywhere and youve been running it for months so thats ruled out. Did u send it for servicing or something recently, saw something similar happen when some service guy put a plastic bag on top of the filter while washing and forgot to remove it. When the car started the filter choked and sucked itself in the same way.
autopsyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2006, 10:06   #5

That's exactly what happened! I did take it for service recently and there WAS a plastic bag which was put on the filter!! Do you think i could get a replacement under warranty or something? I'd better get it taken out right now...
Old 26th March 2006, 23:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

Sorry dude i dont think you can get it replaced under warranty since it isnt a product fault. Get a new filter.
autopsyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 09:04   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopsyche
Did u send it for servicing or something recently, saw something similar happen when some service guy put a plastic bag on top of the filter while washing and forgot to remove it. When the car started the filter choked and sucked itself in the same way.
Thats spot on Autopsyche, this happened to another friend of mine as well. The filter will need to be replaced.
S@~+#0$# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 09:24   #8

Ok. So I am back with my stock filter. And am somehow enjoying the moments. I would probably stick to them for good.

I don't know if K&N is really worth all the stress+mhp vs performance. I did'nt notice any favourable change in FE. You need to be careful with compressed air. No water should get in. Engine warranty may get void.

Anyway, the dealer's pretty sure he can get an exchange, so let's see.
If not, K&N's over for me for the next couple of years...

cheerio.
Old 16th April 2006, 22:20   #9
BHPian

Default Help Plz

I dont know if this is the rite place 2 post this....Wats the best air filter u can put on a baleno.... Is K&N Air filters gud.....Should i go along with free flow exhust....Will it affect my fuel economy..... Thx in advance....
shadyrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2006, 22:25   #10
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Well having driven a baleno with a K&N and owning one without one i must say there certainly is a difference in the response and it certainly isnt MHP .. I think the K&N 3.5'' conical filter should be good enough .. Just bought one for my car ..
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2006, 11:51   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Well having driven a baleno with a K&N and owning one without one i must say there certainly is a difference in the response and it certainly isnt MHP
Do you have the K&N stock replacement filter or the conical filter.
I've heard of many issues with the conical filter fitting and also that the Maruti guys cry over the warranty if you fit the conical filter.
Is the stock replacement K&N any good for the Baleno?
Anyone on this forum who has it.
imjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2006, 12:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjimmy
Maruti guys cry over the warranty if you fit the conical filter.
They cant void your warranty according to some act or something. In the K n N filter warranty card its written that any manufacturer cannot void your warranty if you are fitting a after market air filter unless the manufacturers are supplying you air filters for free.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2006, 17:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you have the K&N stock replacement filter or the conical filter.
I've heard of many issues with the conical filter fitting and also that the Maruti guys cry over the warranty if you fit the conical filter.
Is the stock replacement K&N any good for the Baleno?
Anyone on this forum who has it.
Mclaren used a conical K&N at the track and we could see the difference instantly.There's no 'mhp's involved.

@Slash:When the car goes for service, i'd suggest u switch to the stock filter during service and revert back to K&N after service.Neither warranty is void nor filters are damaged.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2006, 12:08   #14
bhp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
@Slash:When the car goes for service, i'd suggest u switch to the stock filter during service and revert back to K&N after service.Neither warranty is void nor filters are damaged.
thats the best practice suggested even i used to do the same...there are many service stations who will void ur warranty...

which filter is good conical or stock replacement in our indian hot condition ???

i have heard if u have conical filter it doesnt work well in the afternoon bcoz of so much heat sucked in by it bcoz the aircon on the fan working but its best use in night wherein case on replacement filter its ok watever the time of day it is
bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 04:10   #15
BHPian

I want to get a high performance K&N filter for my Baleno which I can just snap on easily without making any changes to my intake pipe. Now i did a search on the net and came across post on teambhp, which confused me a bit.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...lter-sale.html (K&N Conical Extreme Air Filter for Sale)

This filter was used for the Baleno and the user says, "A metal flange 2.3" in diameter will be provided. This will fit straight on to a Baleno." Now I looked up the flange diameter of the RX-4870 on the K&N site and its flange diameter is 2.75". So now I'm a little confused as to what will fit in the Baleno. Can anyone help me out and can tell me the exact flange diameter required for the Baleno so i can get a suitable air filter without having to change or make a custom air intake pipe?

Thanks!
leodelg is offline   Reply With Quote