Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 16th March 2012, 20:57   #1
BHPian

Default Lancer Rear disc conversion issues

Hi guys,

We have an early 2000 model lancer with a rear disc conversion! The mod was done by one of the previous owners but we aren't sure who! All we know is he is/was a part of this forum and is quite active in the modding/tuning scene(in blore?).

A coupla months ago the hand brake cable snapped and ive been running around searching for a replacement ever since.

No one knows which car the rear suspension and brakes came off and thus the chances of finding the cable in mlore seems bleak.

Attached herewith are some pics of the rear caliper and a marking of the place where the handbrake cable (inner and outer) are connected. I hope someone would recognize the rear caliper and pitch in with some suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

Lancer Rear disc conversion issues-lancer.jpg

Lancer Rear disc conversion issues-lancer-1.jpg

Lancer Rear disc conversion issues-lancer-2.jpg

NOTE: a. There are 2 separate cables, one for the left and the other right.
b. The clamps that help secure the cable to the body and arm are fixed to the cable and match exactly with the mounting holes on the arm leading us to believe the entire rear suspension was swapped out from another car.

EDIT: for those of you who are wondering, yes, it is the infamous mivec from bangalore/Coimby.

Last edited by james : 16th March 2012 at 21:04.
james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 21:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Lancer Rear disc conversion issues

Throw in some pics of the actual car, so if someone does recognize it, they might be able to help you out.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 21:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

I vaguely remember, wasnt this fellow member harrie's mivec ? I could be wrong though, is it the same one on this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...xperience.html (Mitsubishi Lancer Mivec - Ownership Experience) ?
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 21:52   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Throw in some pics of the actual car, so if someone does recognize it, they might be able to help you out.
The car doesn't look like what it used to! Lotsa changes so i doubt a pic will bring back any memory! But here it is anyway!
Lancer Rear disc conversion issues-lancer.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
I vaguely remember, wasnt this fellow member harrie's mivec ? I could be wrong though, is it the same one on this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...xperience.html (Mitsubishi Lancer Mivec - Ownership Experience) ?
Yep! Its the same car! Its been with us for over over 2.5yrs!

My next concern is the brake pad! We are gonna be in a soup when they come up for replacement!

Last edited by james : 16th March 2012 at 21:56.
Old 16th March 2012, 22:09   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
A coupla months ago the hand brake cable snapped and ive been running around searching for a replacement ever since.
Does't a second cable goes to the other rear wheel too? If so, it can be used for matching a similar cable. Just a thought.

Quote:
My next concern is the brake pad! We are gonna be in a soup when they come up for replacement!
Brake pads are pretty much standard. Bosch/TVS makes most of the OEM replacement pads and it should not be a problem getting them.
bejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 22:20   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Does't a second cable goes to the other rear wheel too? If so, it can be used for matching a similar cable. Just a thought.
Yep but unfortunately both the cables have snapped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Brake pads are pretty much standard. Bosch/TVS makes most of the OEM replacement pads and it should not be a problem getting them.
I surely hope they are available! Was thinking of a brake upgrade as the stopping power is extremely inadequate but as of now, we have to make do with what we have!
Old 17th March 2012, 00:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

It has a EVO rear disc conversion 114.3 PCDs as far as I can remember. See if you can get a cable from a cedia that should work. The pads for an EVO should match, easiest mod would be to change all 4 discs with a cedia, that way scouting for parts will not be a major issue.

PS: it's not advisable to severe ties with the seller/ modifier if you don't know what went into the car.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2012, 12:55   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
It has a EVO rear disc conversion 114.3 PCDs as far as I can remember. See if you can get a cable from a cedia that should work. The pads for an EVO should match, easiest mod would be to change all 4 discs with a cedia, that way scouting for parts will not be a major issue.

PS: it's not advisable to severe ties with the seller/ modifier if you don't know what went into the car.

Pramod
Thank you Pramod. I think you are right bout the pcd as iirc it is 114.3. The HM dealer here has no clue if the cedia has a similar cable. The last time i asked the guys there, i was told the cedia has 3 different varieties of cables. Im not sure how far this is true but i have no reason to refute their claims. my town has barely 2 or 3 cedias.

When we upgrade the brakes, we would be going in for some good aftermarket stuff and not the cedias brakes as they are overpriced and future spare availability is quiet a questionmark with HM.

Regarding severing ties with the dpo, it has been discussed in detail in the past. I wouldnt keep in touch with someone who lies through his teeth. On the other side, i picked up the rdd baleno over a year ago and i still share a good rapport with the previous owner and the tuner because of all the transparency right from the begining.. Id like to meet the guy who built up the lancer though.

Cheers!!

EDIT: i changed the front brake pads last year. The oe petrol lancer pads were a direct fit!

Last edited by james : 17th March 2012 at 12:59.
Old 17th March 2012, 15:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Pramod. I think you are right bout the pcd as iirc it is 114.3. The HM dealer here has no clue if the cedia has a similar cable. The last time i asked the guys there, i was told the cedia has 3 different varieties of cables.
Yes cedia has 3 variants but no one would guess it has 3 different spares. Try the new cedia sports cable. Regarding changing the rotors I suggested cedia's cause. The pcd is same and the rear rotors would not cost a bomb. Getting aftermarket break pads for cedia is more easy than a mysterious set of pads

Sajith is there on this forum(haris). Contact him as far as I know him he is a reasonable guy.

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 17th March 2012 at 15:27.
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2012, 19:28   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Pramod. I think you are right bout the pcd as iirc it is 114.3. The HM dealer here has no clue if the cedia has a similar cable. The last time i asked the guys there, i was told the cedia has 3 different varieties of cables. Im not sure how far this is true but i have no reason to refute their claims. my town has barely 2 or 3 cedias.

When we upgrade the brakes, we would be going in for some good aftermarket stuff and not the cedias brakes as they are overpriced and future spare availability is quiet a questionmark with HM.

And one of those cedias are mine!!

I too think it is better to see if the Cedia brakes can be fitted!!it does not matter if it is overpriced, at least you can procure them!!The service center folk are quite nice when it comes to helping you get parts!
carfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2012, 21:28   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Regarding changing the rotors I suggested cedia's cause. The pcd is same and the rear rotors would not cost a bomb. Getting aftermarket break pads for cedia is more easy than a mysterious set of pads
Absolutely!! Come to think of it, you are absolutely right! But would the braking with stock cedia brakes be adequate? Keep in mind its a TC'd mivec! I dont want to quote any dyno whp numbers but the car puts out as many horses as 2 vRS motors put together! The brakes caught fire last year under hard braking. I had to repalce all the rubber parts in the caliper and put in new pads.
Lancer Rear disc conversion issues-lan.jpg

Quote:
Sajith is there on this forum(haris). Contact him as far as I know him he is a reasonable guy.Pramod
Yes we know all too well how reasonable he is. I recon we drop this here before we end up opening another can of worms!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
And one of those cedias are mine!!

I too think it is better to see if the Cedia brakes can be fitted!!it does not matter if it is overpriced, at least you can procure them!!The service center folk are quite nice when it comes to helping you get parts!
Doc, i completely forgot about you! the cedia from Dherlakatte right? Thanks for replying.
Yes the guys at southern motors have always been very helpful and courteous to us. Thumbs-up to them! Ive to change the lower arms next week! Will talk to them and get a quotation for the brakes as well!
The 2nd cedia is owned by my neighbour who also owns the dealership! I need to catch him and have a look under his car!

Last edited by james : 17th March 2012 at 21:38.
Old 19th March 2012, 08:12   #12
BHPian

If that is a 4 x 114.3 PCD then that rear brake conversion is off EVO 1,2,3. THese are bolt on. Therefore remaining parts are bolt on too.
Check the PCD and if it matches, search Ebay for EVO 1,2,3 hand brake cable.
Btw what front brakes and master cylinder are you using ?
Amey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 21:06   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Doc, i completely forgot about you! the cedia from Dherlakatte right? Thanks for replying.
Yes the guys at southern motors have always been very helpful and courteous to us. Thumbs-up to them! Ive to change the lower arms next week! Will talk to them and get a quotation for the brakes as well!
The 2nd cedia is owned by my neighbour who also owns the dealership! I need to catch him and have a look under his car!
Yup its me alright!Does the service centre in Mangalore belong to Southern Motors?i am shocked as i thought they packed up their Bangalore operations a few months back!!

Guess what we can meet up sometime!are there only 2 cedias in mangalore?is the one you have seen a red one?
Old 19th March 2012, 22:55   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey View Post
If that is a 4 x 114.3 PCD then that rear brake conversion is off EVO 1,2,3. THese are bolt on. Therefore remaining parts are bolt on too.
Check the PCD and if it matches, search Ebay for EVO 1,2,3 hand brake cable.
Btw what front brakes and master cylinder are you using ?
Amey, I checked ebay but wasnt able to find what i needed. I guess ill check with Luis. He is bound to know!
Thanks for the info man! If not for you the car would'nt even be running!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
Yup its me alright!Does the service centre in Mangalore belong to Southern Motors?i am shocked as i thought they packed up their Bangalore operations a few months back!!

Guess what we can meet up sometime!are there only 2 cedias in mangalore?is the one you have seen a red one?
As far as i remember they had a southern motors board at their place. Its actually better known as SriNidhi. From what ive heard, when the main HM dealer shut shop many years ago, a few of the guys working there got in touch with HM and started their own small setup. They sell cars but they dont have any display vehicles or even a showroom. The place is known well thanks to the painter! His paint jobs are super clean!! When i dropped in there last week, they had a few dozen Renault Pulse parked there.
The other cedia is white and the reg # is 6777 iirc. Yep the meetup idea sounds good!

Last edited by james : 19th March 2012 at 22:58.
Old 22nd March 2012, 22:01   #15
BHPian

Quote:
As far as i remember they had a southern motors board at their place. Its actually better known as SriNidhi. From what ive heard, when the main HM dealer shut shop many years ago, a few of the guys working there got in touch with HM and started their own small setup. They sell cars but they dont have any display vehicles or even a showroom. The place is known well thanks to the painter! His paint jobs are super clean!! When i dropped in there last week, they had a few dozen Renault Pulse parked there.
The other cedia is white and the reg # is 6777 iirc. Yep the meetup idea sounds good!
Oh i see so this is the initiative of a few bunch of them is it?i must say they are very sincere and dedicated in their work(as far as i know!).Hearty pat on the back!!

They had an arrangement with Southern Motors till the time the latter shut shop in Bangalore.They still procure parts from Chennai and still sell cars-do not know with whom they have a tie-up now. Yep, the paint shop is very famous-once i saw a bmw z3 parked there!

i will pm you sometime and we will finalise regarding the meet!