Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 10th April 2006, 00:57   #1
BHPian

Default Convert Innova Manual into Automatic?

Hi Guys,
I would like to convert my 2.0L Innova Gasoline Manual into an Automatic car. I know its sold as an Auto in Indonesia and will buy the original parts from there and convert it. But I would like to know what are all the parts needed to do so?
Thanking you,
Crazy Mumbaiya
Mumbaiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2006, 18:33   #2
DRC
BHPian

Thought of bringing this to fore ground as no one replied, I too was looking for an answer
DRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2006, 21:21   #3
Team-BHP Support

There is no answer except to import one... else buy an auto tranny + ecu + various pipe etc = which will cost you the same as employing adriver for three years
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2006, 23:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
There is no answer except to import one... else buy an auto tranny + ecu + various pipe etc = which will cost you the same as employing adriver for three years
Very practical.
Not to forget the fuel consumption by the 2 ton car in an Auto.
dipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2007, 01:24   #5
BHPian

Why don't you look into the "Semi-Automatic" Automate Autoclutch. They usually have a 1/4 page ad in the back of Overdrive or Autocar India. I think it's about 30k Rs. Should be cheaper than any other way.

Let us know what you end up doing.
caliper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2007, 05:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

Very impractical thought tough interesting. In Indonesia Thailand and Malaysia this model is also sold in Diesel as well as Gasoline versions and it should not be difficult to swap as should be bolton but how on earth do you import the entire trasnny and the console differential etc etc....... thats the impractical part. If someone actually braves this effort and succeeds, im the nest (diesel) customer.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2007, 08:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliper View Post
Why don't you look into the "Semi-Automatic" Automate Autoclutch.
Check their website, autoclutch.co.in, much better open than a permanent conversion to automatic. I saw these kits been used in the US as well.
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2007, 09:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Yes I also would have bought Innova as first choice if it had an auto. Second even if the cost of installing auto is equal to 3 years driver's salary, it is worth it. In my experience, drivers (I changed 6 in 5 months) or at least 95% of them overuse the clutch, give at least 1-2 kmpl less FE, wear out car earlier, and take lesser care overall. Better to spend some money on auto and get rid of drivers forever. I should know, as with an auto, I still have a lot of energy left after driving 350-400 kms per week on Delhi-Gurgaon `expressways'
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2007, 12:21   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliper View Post
Why don't you look into the "Semi-Automatic" Automate Autoclutch. They usually have a 1/4 page ad in the back of Overdrive or Autocar India. I think it's about 30k Rs. Should be cheaper than any other way.

Let us know what you end up doing.
Is there any BHPan having first hand experience of having installed this "Auto-Clutch" in any car? I am be eager to know... Thanks.
nispatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2007, 20:46   #10
BHPian

Hi there. Like you, I am also eager to convert my Ford Ikon to triptronic a/t. Triptronic a/t might be too much to ask for, I know. Because I'm bitten by the a/t bug that comes once you've drove a/t's for sometime! The Ford Ikon would be an awesome car in a/t. Googling manual to automatic conversion kits doesnt provide any helpful info. However I heard of AutoClutch, but like you, i havent heard of any BHPian using it. I would also like to know an opinion fom a AutoClutch user.

-Absar

Last edited by Absar : 26th May 2007 at 20:48.
Absar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2007, 22:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

i really would like to know about anyone who has even seen this semi automatic thingy. Please let all us know re this product as the website is not very informative.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2007, 00:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

Well, memo used to have one on his Siena, but he's out of town for a week, so I guess you guys will have to wait.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2007, 12:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

guys,
since the innova in question here is a petrol, cant he just use the parts from the corolla automatic bin instead of importing them?
aadix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2007, 12:12   #14
Senior - BHPian

No, they don't have the same engine, do they? And the layouts are different, the Corolla is FF and the Innova is FR.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2007, 21:33   #15
Senior - BHPian

I remember the automate clutch thing being discussed many moons back. And all it turned out to be was essentially a hand operated clutch...which would be pointless IMO as it wouldnt really serve the purpose of a proper A/T.
Deeps is offline   Reply With Quote