Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 9th September 2012, 16:18   #1
BHPian

Red face Modification to Tata Nano Exhaust

I am interested to know if we can change/ muffle the exhaust note of Tata Nano by putting exhaust tips or extending the pipe etc.

what concerns are.

will it be safe to do so? considering the cases of fire in early nano s
will it affect the performance/ FE of the car?

It should not void the warranty.

waiting for your inputs.
dhawald3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2012, 18:37   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Modification to Tata Nano Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhawald3 View Post
I am interested to know if we can change/ muffle the exhaust note of Tata Nano by putting exhaust tips or extending the pipe etc.

what concerns are.

waiting for your inputs.
You can change the exhaust note of the Nano , But i do not see any dangers as long as it is properly done. Performance FE , I am sure for that engine there will be negligible effects.
Catalyst_delhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2012, 17:32   #3
BHPian

can exhaust tips muffle the sound??
I was wondering if I can make custom tip that will be filled with some old radiator or air conditioner fins to act as sound muffler.
dhawald3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2012, 23:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhawald3 View Post

what concerns are.

waiting for your inputs.
If I understand right, you want to reduce the sound. I guess the reason the note is loud is because of the small muffler due to the space constraint. Therefore adding an extra muffler should do the trick for which of course there is no space.
Fitting a tip with fins in it should help to a certain extent, but there will be audible sound from it as well and may look out of place on the car.
The other option would be to get rid of the stock muffler and fabricate a new one with more baffles in it which will ofcourse is a risk on the Nano and warranty void case.

My suggestion would let it be as it is.
tharian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2012, 00:04   #5
Team-BHP Support

Adding another silencer box would be the most effective way. But am not sure you would get space to do that in a nano. Other option is to see if glass wool can be packed inside the existing box. All these options will bring big uncertainty wrt warranty.

Manufacturer has done lot of testing and achieved a good combination of power, fe etc with their design and beating that with local manufacturing technique would be quite challenging.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 10:18   #6

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Using Team-BHP to promote vested and commercial interests is STRICTLY prohibited. Do refrain from marketing your goods / services on the board.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further, and to prevent your account from being permanently disabled.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 15th December 2012 at 18:06. Reason: see note in post
powerwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2013, 22:10   #7
BHPian

Working out to increase the sound dampening in the mufflers by add on's/ modifications would also add on to the back pressure than the combustion cycle is designed for.
It adds to the risk of power loss, fuel economy and also heat up the tail run.
Not advised.
gopa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2015, 12:16   #8
BHPian

I have a small query about the Nano exhaust system. The reason why it sounds so rough is because there is a lack of space to include a longer silencer.
How about extending the silencer pipe (welding a U-Bend) and then extending the length of the pipe to take the exhaust to the front?
Is this a practical solution?
Nissan1180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2015, 13:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
I have a small query about the Nano exhaust system. The reason why it sounds so rough is because there is a lack of space to include a longer silencer.
How about extending the silencer pipe (welding a U-Bend) and then extending the length of the pipe to take the exhaust to the front?
Is this a practical solution?
There is very little room down there. This is how the current Nano silencer looks like.
Name:  nano.jpg
Views: 6294
Size:  22.0 KB

More than the exhaust the sound note is dude to the crude small 2 cylinder engine powering this car.
No matter what you do the car will still splutter and sound the same.
OK maybe the sound note can improve a bit with an aftermarket silencer, but with an aftermarket silencer you risk the Nano sounding like a pulsar with a free flow exhaust

Its like trying to make a Pulsar or any other single cylinder bike sound like an inline 4.
Attached Images

Captain Slow is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2015, 13:30   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Due to the rear mounted engine, there will be hardly any space for additional components in the exhaust route. Also I read somewhere that Tata tried to reduce the sound of later Nanos, but guess they couldn't manage much as Nanos still sound more like a diesel rickshaw. No offence to the owners. Don't really know if there is a difference between the exhaust note of the first & latest generation of the Nano.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2015, 15:16   #11
BHPian

Thanks for the explanation.
I suppose a modification would be difficult. However, it should be possible if they design the exhaust afresh.
Nissan1180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2015, 16:17   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Will it be possible to extend that box ?
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2015, 22:34   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
Thanks for the explanation.
I suppose a modification would be difficult. However, it should be possible if they design the exhaust afresh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Will it be possible to extend that box ?
Not really there is absolutely no room there at all. The Exhaust box sits very close to the Radiator.

Yes maybe if they reworked the exhaust manifold then maybe they could preposition the entire exhaust. But this will require R&D.

A closer look at the exhaust of the Nano -
(These Below pictures taken from to Bhpian svsantosh's Thread - Full Credits to him for these detailed pictures)

From the top
Modification to Tata Nano Exhaust-nano1.jpg

From the Bottom.
Modification to Tata Nano Exhaust-nano-2.jpg
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2015, 06:21   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

If OP really wants it, then the silencer will then have to be placed in a vertical position (as against the current horizontal position).

But if the sound is because of the 2 pot engine, then even this will not help. Here, one question - the engine is at the rear. The noise generated should not come into the cabin. Is the noise still that bad that this kind of mod is being thought of ?

I would suggest another thing - sound proofing the cabin. I feel this can help more than working on the silencer.
Old 20th April 2015, 07:28   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

And I answer my own question ! I had a short ride in a Nano. (This one wasn't used that well). The sound in this was such that wife doesnt want to consider the Nano as a second car at home !!