Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 9th August 2006, 10:55   #16
Team-BHP Support

No offence intended.But,with all due respect, is that experience speaking??
Well, now it does seem like all the pain was worth it. But I dont know if too many people would have the time, or a second car for a backup.

Engine transplant is worth it only if you have a lot of time and $$$. For practicality, stick to the stock.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2006, 14:15   #17

Hey, if you're planning on the swap just to save on fuel costs, why don't you opt for LPG instead?

The kit costs 20k. LPG costs 20 bucks per litre in Delhi I think. Plus everything will be RTO approved with no problems. Takes only 1-2 days.

So the modification is much cheaper, effort and headache will be much less, everything is legal, and best of all, you get the economy of lpg for everyday use, and you can switch to petrol when you want to let her rip. And no issues with the 4WD.

I've had Gypsies for over a decade, and honestly, I think you'll destroy the character of the car if you try fitting in any of the diesels mentioned in this thread.
Boom Shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2006, 17:19   #18

Right there Mr Shiva. Easy and best and if u have to mate if u want more power go for Maruti esteem or best Baleno engine if u can get one. That would be the best choice and do fit a lpg
lodhra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2006, 10:37   #19
Thumbs up

Hey Regret, I have recently purchased a gypsy MG410 fitted with a diesel engine. The previous owner has fitted it with an Isuzu Diesel, 2400 cc, I think it's 4FG1 (I'm not sure of the model name). Now, it's a 12 year old car, but body condition is amazing, no rusts, good paint, well maintained. Suspensions, etc. is good too. Electricals are fine too. I have spent some 10,000 Rs. on servicing the engine and some other parts. I bought the car for 90K (I think that's a decent price). Now, the ownership transfer and RTO thing is in process. Maybe in a week or so, I'll get it done. I haven't declared the Diesel engine on paper, I' m thinking - let's do it after the transfer of ownership. RTO can be managed here in Pune with the right contacts. Now, the car is fitted with an HM Contessa 5-speed gear box and so I have to make do without the 4X4. But the power is good and engine is very smooth and mileage is decent too. I am thinking of fitting it with a turbo too, maybe in a year's time. Won't be too big a task, you see, I'm working for a turbocharger company - Holset (aka Cummins Turbo Technologies). I think an HX20 will do.

I suggest you look for a pre-fitted Diesel. It will save you some costs and reduce some efforts. And do let us know what you decide.
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2006, 14:37   #20

hi guys,,

I've procured a MG410W (1994) recently.
had to spend almost 10k on the vehicle to get some basic tinkering(paint jobs) + wheel bearing change+ propeller shaft yoke assemble change.

I too have plans to get it dieselised.
but endrosment in RC book cant be done.it is legally banned.

As far as FWD is concerned,Gypsy is having a dovorced type transfer case.
means, transfer case is a seperate unit. Power comes from gear box to transfer case.from TC, it goes to front and back differentials through transmission shafts.

So i think tat the 4WD can be retained if we change the engine only.
even if we change the engine+gearbox, 4WD can be maintained if dimensions of the new engine+gearrbox permits.

for city use and offroading the stock gearbox is fine.
but if intended to use gypsy in highways(ppl seldom do tat) i would suggest changing the gearbox too.

word from my mechanic(OMS motors, chennai) " These are all theories. wen we try to put the idea in practical, a lot of unsolvable problems may crop up."

Another strange fact. for front bearing change(L&R) ABT maruti service(guindy, chennai) quoted 3000 rupees per side+ labour( ie 3000+3000+labour). while OMS motors did the same job for 1500.
such huge diference b/w maruti and suzuki spares????
MexXxentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2006, 10:35   #21

Thank you all for all the info that you have provided. I have moved to bangalore from delhi. i was not able to buy a gypsy in delhi am hoping to buy one here. any info on that, where to get one and how to go about the deisel engine change. i am willing to buy a petrol one and kep it for some time and then change to diesel or putting a baleno engine >>which would be a better option. i am not very rich buy do plan to follow this project till all my money runs out.......:-(, but i want a excellent ride at the end.

Mack man help me out with all details that u can regarding this diesel change. i am in bangalore now. how is ur baby driving, is she doing good?? any problems that you might have faced/are facing??

Last edited by Samurai : 12th September 2006 at 10:58.
Regret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 05:17   #22

I would like to know if the swift DDIS can be fitted in the Gypsy ...
hemanth.das is offline   Reply With Quote