Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2013, 10:42   #61
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 21
Thanked: 46 Times
Default Re: Turbocharged Maruti SX4 VVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Balaji,

I am a bit hesitant about going for this upgrade as there is no RRP in Bombay which means if I have a problem with the car, I am stuck or will have to go to Bangalore.

1. From your post I gather you are not too happy with the RD ECU? I have the VVT SX4 which has run just 17K Kms.
2. Well understood.
3. What about fuel efficiency on the highway? I rarely use the car in the city. It is a true "highway runner"!!
4. I get my cars serviced and oil change done every 5000Kms. Would I have to do it at even more frequent intervals? That could be a bit of a downer.

Regards,
SS
Hi,

You are right, maintainance would be an issue if there is no RRP in Bombay. I guess you will have to take it to Bangalore. I do not have a problem as RRP has their official fitment partner in Chennai.

The only niggling issue is with idling. The RD ECU doesn't seem to read the throttle control inputs correctly. This causes the RPM needle to fluctuate once in a while. RRP has taken my car to fix it yesterday. Will update after getting the car back. Apparently cars with electronic throttle control units have this issue.

My car has done a little more than 5000 Kms since the turbo upgrade, 22,600 Kms to be exact. I also serviced the car with an oil change recently.

FE on the highway should be fine. The first time when I drove back from Bangalore to Chennai I got an impressive 13.8 Kms / Ltr, driving at a speed of 100 - 120 most of the time. We only did a few rips, but we could hit 180 - 190 very easily. However that was when the car was running on a piggy back ECU. Now with a standalone RD ECU the car should give me 10 I think, not sure. Will test the same and post the details. In any case it would depend how you drive, as it would be addictive to push the car harder!!

Balaji
BalajiShankar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2014, 19:29   #62
BHPian
 
TheQuarterMile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 81
Thanked: 43 Times
Default Re: Turbocharged Maruti SX4 VVT

Hey Balaji,

Can you update us on how the car is performing? You done and further upgrades or changes to the setup?
TheQuarterMile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2014, 12:42   #63
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 220
Thanked: 59 Times
Default Re: Turbocharged Maruti SX4 VVT

I too love that car which balaji has got. Its just a dream to ride one of that. Does RRP call these powerful cars on their own for Inspection & necessary safety checks to ensure safety of those behind those powerful wheels?
gopa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2014, 01:04   #64
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 21
Thanked: 46 Times
Default Re: Turbocharged Maruti SX4 VVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuarterMile View Post
Hey Balaji,

Can you update us on how the car is performing? You done and further upgrades or changes to the setup?
It has been 1.5 years since I upgraded the car. It has been performing very well, although there are niggling issues which crop up once a while. We have brought down the boost from 8.6 to 7 PSI. This is giving me better mileage overall compared to the earlier setup.

Well I have not had any issues for the past 6 months. But in the last 2 weeks I noticed that the ECM was not idling correctly. Also, the car switched off at low speeds. I have asked RRP to check the issue. Will update once I get the car back in a few days.
BalajiShankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2014, 16:45   #65
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,353
Thanked: 813 Times
Default Re: Turbocharged Maruti SX4 VVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalajiShankar View Post
It has been 1.5 years since I upgraded the car. It has been performing very well, although there are niggling issues which crop up once a while. We have brought down the boost from 8.6 to 7 PSI. This is giving me better mileage overall compared to the earlier setup.

Well I have not had any issues for the past 6 months. But in the last 2 weeks I noticed that the ECM was not idling correctly. Also, the car switched off at low speeds. I have asked RRP to check the issue. Will update once I get the car back in a few days.
Hi Balaji! Ive just been going through your thread. I must congratulate you on the set-up you've got. Mighty impressive.

I have just been to RRP myself (about 3 weeks back) and gotten a BMC DIA installed in my car. The results are great. Fortunately or unfortunately, I bought a Magnaflow Exhaust (14829 - street series) from another car accessory dealer and already had that installed before the BMC. I dont know if I was lucky or not but the end result is great. Even the guy at RRP asked me to retain the exhaust. Im now waiting for RRP to ease their workload before I get the SS headers made.

In your last post, I read that the idling has gone wrong and the car switches off at low revs. Coincidentally, the RRP'ed swift demo car also had similar issues and the guy who took me for a test drive cited the same reasons i.e. the ECU. Its worth getting that checked at the earliest.

I guess the real question is, would you do this to your next car as well? Any regrets?
Fullrevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2014, 23:05   #66
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 21
Thanked: 46 Times
Default Re: Turbocharged Maruti SX4 VVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
Hi Balaji! Ive just been going through your thread. I must congratulate you on the set-up you've got. Mighty impressive.

I have just been to RRP myself (about 3 weeks back) and gotten a BMC DIA installed in my car. The results are great. Fortunately or unfortunately, I bought a Magnaflow Exhaust (14829 - street series) from another car accessory dealer and already had that installed before the BMC. I dont know if I was lucky or not but the end result is great. Even the guy at RRP asked me to retain the exhaust. Im now waiting for RRP to ease their workload before I get the SS headers made.

In your last post, I read that the idling has gone wrong and the car switches off at low revs. Coincidentally, the RRP'ed swift demo car also had similar issues and the guy who took me for a test drive cited the same reasons i.e. the ECU. Its worth getting that checked at the earliest.

I guess the real question is, would you do this to your next car as well? Any regrets?
To be honest I do not have any regrets going in for this upgrade as it puts a big smile on my face each time I put my foot down on the throttle! So basically the downside is that I have to rely on the support from RRP each time I have a small niggling issue. But I can live with it considering that RRP has been quite helpful in sorting out these issues. Also they have not charged me for these services.

I would definitely want a turbocharged petrol for my next car. So I am looking at a modded one or a stock turbo like the Linea T-Jet or the Laura TSI, the latter being my all time favourite car!!
BalajiShankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2014, 14:24   #67
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,353
Thanked: 813 Times
Default Re: Turbocharged Maruti SX4 VVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalajiShankar View Post
I would definitely want a turbocharged petrol for my next car. So I am looking at a modded one or a stock turbo like the Linea T-Jet or the Laura TSI, the latter being my all time favourite car!!
Im sure RRP are eagerly waiting for a customer to drive in with a new Skoda Octavia 1.8TSI. Should be magic once their done with it.

How often do you visit RRP for a check-up?
Fullrevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2014, 17:45   #68
BHPian
 
Racedynamics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 114
Thanked: 436 Times
Default Re: Turbocharged Maruti SX4 VVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalajiShankar View Post
The only niggling issue is with idling. The RD ECU doesn't seem to read the throttle control inputs correctly. This causes the RPM needle to fluctuate once in a while. RRP has taken my car to fix it yesterday. Will update after getting the car back. Apparently cars with electronic throttle control units have this issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BalajiShankar View Post
But in the last 2 weeks I noticed that the ECM was not idling correctly. Also, the car switched off at low speeds. I have asked RRP to check the issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
In your last post, I read that the idling has gone wrong and the car switches off at low revs. Coincidentally, the RRP'ed swift demo car also had similar issues and the guy who took me for a test drive cited the same reasons i.e. the ECU. Its worth getting that checked at the earliest.
The RD0901 street versions control fuel and ignition while letting the original ECU handle electronic throttle control. Idling instability is attributed to
a) Lag in mass air flow calculations as the sensor is located post the airfilter, pre turbo.
b) Air-fuel ratios being different from original expected at idling

Workaround:

a) [Recommended] Use a bypass hose, one end connects before throttle body (post turbo, on high pressure side) and the other to manifold. This allows a controlled air pass that eliminates shut offs
b) Upgrade to RD0901 with electronic throttle controller. RD0901s with ETC upgrades have been extensively used in motorsport for a while now. We will have to take a look at your throttle body to check compatibility with our driver package.

Last edited by Racedynamics : 10th February 2014 at 17:46.
Racedynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Issues with my Maruti SX4 satyabratpanda Technical Stuff 63 27th August 2017 20:23
Azure Grey Maruti Suzuki SX4 ZXi (1.6 VVT) comes home!! Saanil Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 37 2nd February 2014 13:09
New SX4 VVT brochure sidindica The Indian Car Scene 213 9th January 2010 08:53


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:42.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks