Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2012, 04:51   #16
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sahil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,044
Thanked: 1,665 Times
Default Re: BMW Performance Power Kit and Exhaust for the 320D

Before you get the gunmetal finish done to the alloys, I think you should get a matte wrap done. A matte black or gunmetal silver matte would look superb !
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2012, 10:22   #17
BHPian
 
brraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 786
Thanked: 338 Times
Default Re: BMW Performance Power Kit and Exhaust for the 320D

With the performance upgrades do you feel the need for brake/suspension upgrade or stock is sufficient?
brraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2012, 10:40   #18
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,451
Thanked: 5,336 Times
Default Re: BMW Performance Power Kit and Exhaust for the 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Before you get the gunmetal finish done to the alloys, I think you should get a matte wrap done. A matte black or gunmetal silver matte would look superb !
Have thought about that too. Sometime in the future definitely. Infact I've even decided the colour -


Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
With the performance upgrades do you feel the need for brake/suspension upgrade or stock is sufficient?
Not at all. The chassis of this car is brilliant and this is nothing when it comes with engines like the 335d. The brakes are still strong as ever and the handling of the car has not been affected the slightest bit. Stock is more than sufficient.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2012, 11:09   #19
Distinguished - BHPian
 
karan561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,443
Thanked: 7,428 Times
Default Re: BMW Performance Power Kit and Exhaust for the 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Have thought about that too. Sometime in the future definitely. Infact I've even decided the colour -
Great choice, Very subtle & classy but commanding at the same time.

^ With this the stock rims wont do justice we want an upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
With the performance upgrades do you feel the need for brake/suspension upgrade or stock is sufficient?
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

Not at all. The chassis of this car is brilliant and this is nothing when it comes with engines like the 335d. The brakes are still strong as ever and the handling of the car has not been affected the slightest bit. Stock is more than sufficient.
^ In addition to this;

Discarding the Runflats & upgrading to softer & stickier Michelin PS3's did the bit in the handling & the braking department

Last edited by karan561 : 11th December 2012 at 11:20.
karan561 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 03:03   #20
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,451
Thanked: 5,336 Times
Default Re: BMW Performance Power Kit and Exhaust for the 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Great choice, Very subtle & classy but commanding at the same time.

^ With this the stock rims wont do justice we want an upgrade

^ In addition to this;

Discarding the Runflats & upgrading to softer & stickier Michelin PS3's did the bit in the handling & the braking department
With that I'll get the rims painted. The rims will never be changed , firstly because I love this design, and secondly then the ride would be way too stiff.

The PS3s are great, but the stock weren't bad when it came to grip and braking.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2012, 19:56   #21
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,451
Thanked: 5,336 Times
Default Re: BMW Performance Power Kit and Exhaust for the 320D

Update after first highway drive -

Took the car to Igatouri with a 328i, A4 3.0tdi and a 530d. Well lets just say the car has impressed me a lot. It might not have the outright power of the other cars, but it sure as hell wasn't left behind. I've already spoken about the behavior of the car inside the city, how the in gear times have really increased and the acceleration overall is much better too. But on the highway you really see the difference. It stays in lower gears more, and you can ride the torque curve. There is still always grunt, and you can feel the acceleration whether you put your foot down at 50 or at 150. The car gets to idiotic speeds effortlessly. Like I said the real difference was after 100kmph, and I got to see it on this drive. Previously increasing speeds which would require 3/4th throttle now would get done in half throttle in even quicker times. It really didn't feel like I was pushing the car to keep up to the others, as it used to feel sometimes earlier.

Me and Karan561 had a quick head to head after one of the speed breakers, and surprisingly my car was only half a car length behind. Thats impressive. Another person who was riding with me exclaimed how the clatter had gone down, and how much more silent the engine was, and this was after him riding in the 530d. And the chassis handles this extra power and torque with ease, as I saw on the Kasara ghaats. With the new PS3s (I'll post about them in my ownership review) the car was beautiful to take around those corners.

As for the exhaust note, Karan tells me it was pretty loud outside. And that it sounds pretty decent for a diesel. Well at least my money didn't go to waste. The exhaust is noticeable from inside too, but only to a person who has experienced a stock 320d. The engine growl is more pronounced too, but still like a wannabe 6 cynlinder lol.

Oh yeah, and the mileage - With about 250km of pushing the car, rarely being under 120 it gave me 10.5 which IMO is pretty darn good. So it certainly hasn't gone down inspite of the extra horses and torques.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 17th December 2012 at 20:05.
Akshay1234 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 12:00   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
F150's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PUNE
Posts: 1,545
Thanked: 610 Times
Default Re: BMW Performance Power Kit and Exhaust for the 320D

Hey Akshay,

Where are the pics ? We are still waiting.

If you could find sometime, out of your busy schedule enjoying your power kitted BIMMER.
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 17:13   #23
Distinguished - BHPian
 
karan561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,443
Thanked: 7,428 Times
Default Re: BMW Performance Power Kit and Exhaust for the 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
With that I'll get the rims painted. The rims will never be changed , firstly because I love this design, and secondly then the ride would be way too stiff.

The PS3s are great, but the stock weren't bad when it came to grip and braking.
I agree the design is beautiful, but if you get a vinyl wrap done & just paint the alloys & leaving them wont do justice, you yourself have said this here , check link;

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post2959856 (PICS : Tastefully Modified Cars in India)

So we will need new rims when you get a wrap done

Last edited by karan561 : 18th December 2012 at 17:16.
karan561 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 17:16   #24
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,451
Thanked: 5,336 Times
Default Re: BMW Performance Power Kit and Exhaust for the 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
I agree the design is beautiful, but if you get a vinyl wrap done & just paint the alloys & leaving them wont do justice, you yourself have said this here , check link;

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post2959856 (PICS : Tastefully Modified Cars in India)

So we will need new rims when you get a wrap done
But I'm not getting a flashy colour nor do I have those 16" rims on the 320i. But if you want to give me the rims off your car I'm more than happy to accept.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 23:38   #25
Distinguished - BHPian
 
karan561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,443
Thanked: 7,428 Times
Default Re: BMW Performance Power Kit and Exhaust for the 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Update after first highway drive -

Took the car to Igatouri with a 328i, A4 3.0tdi and a 530d. Well lets just say the car has impressed me a lot. It might not have the outright power of the other cars, but it sure as hell wasn't left behind.
Oh it sure hell has the grunt now


Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Me and Karan561 had a quick head to head after one of the speed breakers, and surprisingly my car was only half a car length behind. Thats impressive.

Indeed your car is quick off the block & actually in real world the performance both in a straight line and also during the roll on speeds of say 80-100 right upto 170-180 is brutal now.

Fellas what Akshays car is now i.e. with approx 205 bhp on tap with the power kit & the exhaust is that the performance is somewhere in the territory slotting between that of a 525d & a 530d.
I say this because the 3'er simply has the weight advantage over the 5'er.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
As for the exhaust note, Karan tells me it was pretty loud outside. And that it sounds pretty decent for a diesel. Well at least my money didn't go to waste.
The exhaust sounds pretty neat for a diesel. Surprisingly on idle & free revs not much of a difference than stock but when you are following Akshays car the exhaust is massively loud and surely noticeably sporty for a diesel.

I leave you with a pic of our cars from the drive

BMW Performance Power Kit and Exhaust for the 320D-photo.jpg

Last edited by karan561 : 18th December 2012 at 23:41.
karan561 is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2013, 16:15   #26
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 22
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: BMW Performance Power Kit and Exhaust for the 320D

Guys
During Diwali I picked up a F30 320d.

As per the dealer, the performance kit for the new 3 series doesn't include the performance silencer.
It consists of a new ECU map
a new intercooler
a new radiator

The cost quoted is 1,15,000/-
The torque will increase from 380 to 420Nm
The power will increase from 184 to 200 bhp

Does anyone have any feedback on fitting the performance kit for the new 3 series?
Anurag1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2013, 17:55   #27
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,451
Thanked: 5,336 Times
Default Re: BMW Performance Power Kit and Exhaust for the 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anurag1973 View Post
Guys
During Diwali I picked up a F30 320d.

As per the dealer, the performance kit for the new 3 series doesn't include the performance silencer.
It consists of a new ECU map
a new intercooler
a new radiator

The cost quoted is 1,15,000/-
The torque will increase from 380 to 420Nm
The power will increase from 184 to 200 bhp

Does anyone have any feedback on fitting the performance kit for the new 3 series?
I don't think the performance silencer is out for the f30 320d yet. And also the kit has a new intercooler, and possibly a radiator fan, but definitely not a new radiator.

Is the cost including labour etc?

Considering the engine is the same in my car and yours, its certainly worth it and will transform the way the car drives especially with the 8 speed box on the f30.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2013, 11:25   #28
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,451
Thanked: 5,336 Times
Default Re: BMW Performance Power Kit and Exhaust for the 320D

Long overdue, but heres a pic of the new rear silencer. First pic is of the old one, and second is of the BMW Performance Exhaust.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW Performance Power Kit and Exhaust for the 320D-img2012081300047.jpg  

BMW Performance Power Kit and Exhaust for the 320D-img2013021600053.jpg  

Akshay1234 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2013, 18:28   #29
Distinguished - BHPian
 
karan561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,443
Thanked: 7,428 Times
Default

Please upload a video of the exhaust at idle & revving.

Go-Pro videos are welcome too
karan561 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2013, 22:15   #30
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cochin, B'lore
Posts: 124
Thanked: 101 Times
Default Re: BMW Performance Power Kit and Exhaust for the 320D

Guys, any idea if the performance power kit is available for the F10 520d as well?
275BHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diesel Power - My BMW 320D Exclusive - BMW Performance Power Kit Installed - Pg. 23 Akshay1234 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 449 23rd September 2016 21:02
BMW 325i,320d or 523i??? EDIT Bought 320D Highline morphin1 Luxury, Imports & Niche 67 13th April 2015 13:57
BMW 320d Performance Edition h@r$h@l The Indian Car Scene 37 17th May 2012 14:59
VW Passat or BMW 320d Highline or New Audi A4 - EDIT : Bought BMW 520d Insane Devil Luxury, Imports & Niche 147 5th November 2009 00:59
76mm Honda performance pistons, baleno performance cam & NOS kit for sale. mclaren1885 Shifting gears 6 16th September 2007 14:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:46.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks