Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2013, 20:53   #46
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Delhi
Posts: 57
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: BMW Performance Power Kit and Exhaust for the 320D

Thanks for the info. Would prefer a company mod rather than risking the warranty. Do let me know if you get the mod done. Yet to meet anyone who got it done on the F30.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
No Buddy. Haven't gotten around to getting one yet.

The prices as quoted by the Dealership around 4 months back are :
1. The M Performance Kit including Air Cooler (Turbo), Engine Control unit & Badge cost (They replace the BMW badging in on the car with //M badges) - Rs. 1.18 lacs plus labor approx Rs. 4500/-

2. New Exhaust - Rs. 30,000/- plus labor.

Total Cost should be in the region of 1.6 lacs. Most dealers don't even know this kit exists so I've attached the pics of the parts from the BMW system for reference.

Many people have suggested the Racetech ECU , but i'm still not sure whether that can be detected by the BMW guys, because if they do, they'll definitely void the warranty and BSI.
Sunnysm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2013, 21:43   #47
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Delhi
Posts: 57
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: BMW Performance Power Kit and Exhaust for the 320D

Hi, one more question on this. The exhaust that you are talking about, does it affect the performance in any way or is it just the sound and looks? Trying to save money wherever I can


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
The exhaust is separately available for 30k. Fitting for the kit is Rs 4800

Total cost approx 1.55 lacs including tax
Sunnysm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2013, 15:56   #48
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Delhi
Posts: 57
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: BMW Performance Power Kit and Exhaust for the 320D

Hi all,

People looking for a performance kit on F30 320d, please find below the details from the dealer. The Power kit is VIN coded and comes specially from Germany after order and full payment.

1) Removing and installing DDE control unit
2) Removing and replacing charge air cooler
3) Performing vehicle test
4) Programmng/encoding control unit without CAS
5) Continuing vehicle test and performing quick delete
6) Power kit (VIN coded)

Total cost - INR 123,059

You will get the old parts, if any. No exchange.

The power will increase by 13 BHP. The Gurgaon dealer has a modified sport line. I will be testing it sometime this week.
Sunnysm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2013, 16:56   #49
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,339
Thanked: 3,314 Times
Default Re: BMW Performance Power Kit and Exhaust for the 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysm View Post
Total cost - INR 123,059
The power will increase by 13 BHP. The Gurgaon dealer has a modified sport line. I will be testing it sometime this week.
Is 13 BHP on an already powerful car worth 1.25L Rs? With that much money you can rather opt for the 5year/1L km BSI plan over the 5yr/60k km plan and enjoy this car more. Just a different perpective!
drmohitg is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2013, 17:32   #50
BHPian
 
Bluebeem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 357
Thanked: 211 Times
Default Re: BMW Performance Power Kit and Exhaust for the 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysm View Post
Hi, one more question on this. The exhaust that you are talking about, does it affect the performance in any way or is it just the sound and looks? Trying to save money wherever I can
The guy at the showroom who knew about this kit (he has installed it in an E90) said the exhaust alone will make a difference in performance. He was of the view that before installing the power increase kit, one should install the exhaust alone as the sound of the car becomes a lot meatier which kinda makes you feel a lot better about the car you're driving.

Considering the overall power kit increases just 13bhp (on paper), even if the exhausts do increase performance, it will be marginal
Bluebeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2013, 18:59   #51
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Delhi
Posts: 57
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: BMW Performance Power Kit and Exhaust for the 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Is 13 BHP on an already powerful car worth 1.25L Rs? With that much money you can rather opt for the 5year/1L km BSI plan over the 5yr/60k km plan and enjoy this car more. Just a different perpective!
Actually, even I am not sure about this. I checked akshay's post about the kit on his E90 and read some other posts as well. It seems like the performance improves significantly and the turbo lag reduces.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
The guy at the showroom who knew about this kit (he has installed it in an E90) said the exhaust alone will make a difference in performance. He was of the view that before installing the power increase kit, one should install the exhaust alone as the sound of the car becomes a lot meatier which kinda makes you feel a lot better about the car you're driving.

Considering the overall power kit increases just 13bhp (on paper), even if the exhausts do increase performance, it will be marginal
How much does that cost? Can changing exhaust improve performance? I don't think they are changing the exhaust in the kit that they told me about.
Sunnysm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2013, 19:04   #52
BHPian
 
Bluebeem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 357
Thanked: 211 Times
Default Re: BMW Performance Power Kit and Exhaust for the 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysm View Post
Actually, even I am not sure about this. I checked akshay's post about the kit on his E90 and read some other posts as well. It seems like the performance improves significantly and the turbo lag reduces.
How much does that cost? Can changing exhaust improve performance? I don't think they are changing the exhaust in the kit that they told me about.
Yes Changing an exhaust can improve performance. How much (if at all) this particular exhaust improves performance is yet to be seen.

I've mentioned all the prices some posts earlier, the exhaust costs INR 30,000 plus fitting. This quote was given to me in april, could've increased marginally.
Bluebeem is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2013, 19:06   #53
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 192
Thanked: 245 Times
Default Re: BMW Performance Power Kit and Exhaust for the 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysm View Post

How much does that cost? Can changing exhaust improve performance? I don't think they are changing the exhaust in the kit that they told me about.
In general, adding a free flow exhaust improves performance. "Cat back" high-performance exhaust systems usually combine headers, bigger tail pipes etc. to decrease air resistance.

While owning an Audi in the US, I replaced the stock exhaust with a Neuspeed Borla which had all these components. It provided a significant performance boost. However, the effect was magnified due to a remapped ICU.

You might want to double-check that the exhaust meets emission requirements though in order to stay on the right side of the law.
BackInTheFold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2013, 19:11   #54
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,528
Thanked: 5,545 Times
Default Re: BMW Performance Power Kit and Exhaust for the 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
In general, adding a free flow exhaust improves performance. "Cat back" high-performance exhaust systems usually combine headers, bigger tail pipes etc. to decrease air resistance.

While owning an Audi in the US, I replaced the stock exhaust with a Neuspeed Borla which had all these components. It provided a significant performance boost. However, the effect was magnified due to a remapped ICU.

You might want to double-check that the exhaust meets emission requirements though in order to stay on the right side of the law.
The exhaust is no catback. Its just an end can. But yes the exhaust does sound nice when you decide to step on it.

The F30 320d seems to have a similar kit to the E90, except the cooling fan remains and same, and it does not get extra air ducts.

Also the difference feels like more than the 10% or so they claim, and the 8 speed on the F30 should take even better advantage of the extra power.
Akshay1234 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2013, 19:17   #55
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 192
Thanked: 245 Times
Default Re: BMW Performance Power Kit and Exhaust for the 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The exhaust is no catback. Its just an end can. But yes the exhaust does sound nice when you decide to step on it.
Oh ok. In that case, the results might be more cosmetic (in terms of sounding nice) rather than a significant performance bump. I'm not sure it would be top of my list if I were to have a Bimmer and an urge to modify it for performance
BackInTheFold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2014, 12:32   #56
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3
Thanked: Once
Default Re: BMW Performance Power Kit and Exhaust for the 320D

Hi Akshay,

Thanks for the comprehensive review of the BMW PPK! I own a 2012 e90 320d (Dynamic), and very much like you, have realized that stock power is not enough! Seriously contemplating the PPK upgrade (through Navnit, although I bought the car from Infinity, Mumbai). Further, if the engine becomes smoother post the installation of the PPK, I think it's worth the cost just for this, forget the power!

Since you've had the kit for sometime, I would appreciate if you could let me know if there are any long term problems being faced by you. Are the stock brakes sufficient? Is there any detrimental effect on the (rock hard!) suspension / rattles in the car due to the bump in power, especially since the roads in Mumbai are in such a fantastic condition:(

I understand that the PPK is no longer offered with the exhaust - that's for an additional cost. I don't think i will be opting for it, frankly.

Lastly, I drive the car 99% in the manual mode (D and DS just don't cut it for me - the downshifts are way too lazy for my liking). In addition to the PPK, I'm also considering the paddle shift package (though Navnit is going to confirm whether this is available for the e90). Do you have any thoughts / experience on this?

Many thanks in advance for your help!
jamshedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2014, 14:03   #57
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,528
Thanked: 5,545 Times
Default Re: BMW Performance Power Kit and Exhaust for the 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamshedb View Post
Hi Akshay,

Thanks for the comprehensive review of the BMW PPK! I own a 2012 e90 320d (Dynamic), and very much like you, have realized that stock power is not enough! Seriously contemplating the PPK upgrade (through Navnit, although I bought the car from Infinity, Mumbai). Further, if the engine becomes smoother post the installation of the PPK, I think it's worth the cost just for this, forget the power!

Since you've had the kit for sometime, I would appreciate if you could let me know if there are any long term problems being faced by you. Are the stock brakes sufficient? Is there any detrimental effect on the (rock hard!) suspension / rattles in the car due to the bump in power, especially since the roads in Mumbai are in such a fantastic condition:(

I understand that the PPK is no longer offered with the exhaust - that's for an additional cost. I don't think i will be opting for it, frankly.

Lastly, I drive the car 99% in the manual mode (D and DS just don't cut it for me - the downshifts are way too lazy for my liking). In addition to the PPK, I'm also considering the paddle shift package (though Navnit is going to confirm whether this is available for the e90). Do you have any thoughts / experience on this?

Many thanks in advance for your help!
Hey Jamshed,

I haven't faced any long term issues though my car has hardly run in the year and a half I've had the kit, only about 7k kms. But its been perfect, and I've had a friend who had it on his car for 40k kms and it was still perfect. The stock brakes are more than sufficient in all conditions. It has absolutely no effect on the suspension, and it will be as good/bad as it were before.

The exhaust was always extra, if you read my first post it is mentioned there. I had heard the sound, and it was sporty enough for a diesel so I decided to get it too. Though its pretty much just an end can, some people say it has helped them in terms of performance.

The paddles will be great to get. Infact even I want to get them in the near future. All you need is a new steering wheel with paddles, used can be got from even $200 with a newer M sport wheel at $700. Along with this you will need a harness from Burger tuning for the paddles. Also you may want the newer type paddles, so do read up a bit on Bimmerpost.
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2014, 14:43   #58
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3
Thanked: Once
Default Re: BMW Performance Power Kit and Exhaust for the 320D

Thanks so much for the prompt response, Akshay!
Will keep you updated once I have the kit and paddles installed.
jamshedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2015, 10:49   #59
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: d
Posts: 14
Thanked: Once
Default Re: BMW Performance Power Kit and Exhaust for the 320D

Shocked to hear that the PPK has been discontinued. Is it possible to import one for the 320d and get it fitted at the dealer? Would the pricing be prohibitive?
saju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2015, 16:55   #60
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 311
Thanked: 268 Times
Default Re: BMW Performance Power Kit and Exhaust for the 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysm View Post
Hi all,

People looking for a performance kit on F30 320d, please find below the details from the dealer. The Power kit is VIN coded and comes specially from Germany after order and full payment.

1) Removing and installing DDE control unit
2) Removing and replacing charge air cooler
3) Performing vehicle test
4) Programmng/encoding control unit without CAS
5) Continuing vehicle test and performing quick delete
6) Power kit (VIN coded)

Total cost - INR 123,059

You will get the old parts, if any. No exchange.

The power will increase by 13 BHP. The Gurgaon dealer has a modified sport line. I will be testing it sometime this week.
I have the power kit on the F30 320 d, the figures given to me by BMW are 13bhp more and 40 nm of torque, I hope this helps, I am trying to pit a head to head with a stock bmw sometime soon, will report a go pro video sometime soon.
The Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diesel Power - My BMW 320D Exclusive - BMW Performance Power Kit Installed - Pg. 23 Akshay1234 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 449 23rd September 2016 21:02
BMW 325i,320d or 523i??? EDIT Bought 320D Highline morphin1 Luxury, Imports & Niche 67 13th April 2015 13:57
BMW 320d Performance Edition h@r$h@l The Indian Car Scene 37 17th May 2012 14:59
VW Passat or BMW 320d Highline or New Audi A4 - EDIT : Bought BMW 520d Insane Devil Luxury, Imports & Niche 147 5th November 2009 00:59
76mm Honda performance pistons, baleno performance cam & NOS kit for sale. mclaren1885 Shifting gears 6 16th September 2007 14:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:03.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks