Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 8th May 2006, 12:57   #1
BHPian

Unhappy Baleno Scratched

I have scratched my car (New Baleno about 4 months old), I guess this would be the wont with everyone living in Bangalore.

The good news is there are No Big Dents but two very noticeable scratched on the rear door and many gashes on the wheel arch in the co-passenger side

I would really appreciate if members could guide me to a paint shop/booth that could get the job done with quality and economy.
islandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2006, 14:14   #2
Team-BHP Support

Hey islandman, I won't be able to help you about bangalore but here is a suggestion. Why do not you hold this thing for a while? I mean it is a new car. It takes some time to get used to the dimensions of a new car. In that period you do collect some scratches and dents. I also had this issue. In my opinion it pays to hold the repair for at least the 1st six months. By that time you will get to know the dimensions of your car enough to realise that you are not getting those nicks and scratches that you were getting earlier. That is when you should get the car repaired.

Remember, if they charge you 4k for the repair of the current scratches and gnashes they will probably charge 5 or 6k tomorrow for a collective repair if you go with a few more. However if after spending 4k today you need to go back for some more touch-ups after another 3-4 months you will probably again end up paying another 4k.

I know it is difficult to live with these marks, in my case I used to have these mad urges to rush to the workshop and get them fixed then and there. But the perseverance paid off for me. Believe me it is more judicious. That is unless you are very sure that you know your car inside-out and those scratches were one off thing that just happened. They happened only once (in one incident) and won't happen ever again.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2006, 14:57   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandman
I have scratched my car (New Baleno about 4 months old), I guess this would be the wont with everyone living in Bangalore.

The good news is there are No Big Dents but two very noticeable scratched on the rear door and many gashes on the wheel arch in the co-passenger side

I would really appreciate if members could guide me to a paint shop/booth that could get the job done with quality and economy.
scratches are almost a every day phenomenon in bangalore....either you scratch it, or some else drives badly......or just some sadist runs a blade on your car......dont worry, just chill.

Wait for the end of insurance.....just with one month to go, get everything painted and claim ur insurance.

BTW : can someone say, is paint job 100% covered by insurance?
venkatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2006, 15:47   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatrx
scratches are almost a every day phenomenon in bangalore....either you scratch it, or some else drives badly......or just some sadist runs a blade on your car......dont worry, just chill.

Wait for the end of insurance.....just with one month to go, get everything painted and claim ur insurance.

BTW : can someone say, is paint job 100% covered by insurance?
Only the plastic parts are not covered 100%. Rest of it is. At least theoritically. On paper, they may agree to cover to a lesser extent. The shortfall has to be covered by the owner. Mostly this happens in the case of older cars where they put in the depreciation factor. Also, if they feel that the damage is a result of two or more incidents they will decide the one which costs the least and agree to cover only that.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2006, 16:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

if it's just scratches dab a lil brake oil on a big wad of cotton.....and run it on the scratch.....make sure you clean that area really well not leaving any oil behind.....
it works.....and how!!!!!!
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2006, 23:54   #6

hey custom spray paints are availaibe probably in all colours and neutrals too.. iam using a black from car-spray thts the brand .. its easy to apply and more over cost 250-500 a bottle tht can b used again and again. check ur local dealer for the brand
speed_n_sexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2006, 00:41   #7
elf
BANNED

Default A better way...?

@ frankmehta:
"if it's just scratches dab a lil brake oil on a big wad of cotton.....and run it on the scratch.....make sure you clean that area really well not leaving any oil behind.....
it works.....and how!!!!!"
HAHAHAHA! Dude! Tell me you're kidding!

Brake oil on your paint will kill it completely!

If it's just minor surface scratches, then:
  1. Have the minor scratches filled in with the OE paint from the manufacturer. This should be done using a fine brush & not a spray gun.
    If it's a standard color, most paint shops shall have the colour ready with them. It shouldn't cost you more than 100 bucks.
  2. Wait for 3-4 days for the brushed in paint to dry hard.
  3. Have the car rubbed down with rubbing compound.
  4. Finish it off with a good wax. I use Turtle Wax on my ride.
The waxing & polishing should be done by hand, & should cost you anywhere between 350 - 850 for your Baleno. Most small body repair shops around where you live will be able to do this for you. Ask some of your friends in case you're clueless.

This should take care of your problem. Also remember that you'll lose a lot of resale value & your paint finish if you have the entire car resprayed.

Ciao!
elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2006, 17:22   #8
BHPian

Thanks Elf and others. But I think I will cause more harm with a fine brush than cure. Hence I request all to guide me with a good paint booth in Bangalore.

Zappo: Very sensible about the need to wait 6 months etc .... but I just can't.

Venkatrx: Again very sensible about end of insurance and all ... but hey understand every time I see the scratches, My heart bleeds.

Last edited by islandman : 9th May 2006 at 17:27.
islandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2006, 18:56   #9
BHPian

Hi Folks,

Even I am looking for a good paint shop who can make a touch up for my swift 5 months old - Sratch on left hand side from rear door to front door. Though I got the touch up done at Bimal, with the wax, but I am not satisfied which still remains to see those wounded marks on my baby . Pls help me out too.
Raps is offline   Reply With Quote