Team-BHP - Air-horn installation for new Honda Accord.
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Air-horn installation for new Honda Accord. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/13290-air-horn-installation-new-honda-accord.html)

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a new Honda Accord. I wanted to add an aftermarket Hella 2-pipe air-horn as the OE horn is not suficient in sound output on the highway.

The people at the Honda dealership tell me that I cannot upgrade to any aftermarket horn or the Hella air-horn as it would cause the SRS airbag system to fail leading to changing in the reel cable assembly in the steering where the airbag is located which costs around Rs.20,000 as the SRS indicator on the instrument panel dislay would light up in due course of time indicating a failure in the system.

Is there any way I can get the air-horn horn installed? Please advise.
Your inputs will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and best regards.

Just make sure u do it from the dealer or some very good mechanic. Cuz otherwise u'll b paying the price as most people just cut some wires to fix the horn.

Is it leagal to use airhorns?Here in my state it is not allowed at all.Think twice before you do any silly joke with your car and safety it offers to you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECM
Is it leagal to use airhorns?Here in my state it is not allowed at all.Think twice before you do any silly joke with your car and safety it offers to you.

Airhorns can be connected by using a saperate switch. So he can use the normal OE horn in the city and the airhorn on the highways..

High wattage bulbs arn't allowed too, but there are loads of people out there who use it. Actually driving with high beam in the city is also illegal, but then again i doubt how many people actually follow that.

Hei, do check out the Stebel nautilus air horn. Its a single unit with no tubes etc.

I've got two horns installed:

Hella Super Tone - for the steering wheel

Stebel Nautilus air horn - a little switch near the steering on the dashboard. The air horn has been wired completely independently of all OEM wiring, so it doesn;t mess with anything. A good, qualified electrician should know exactly what to do. Make sure he uses a good relay (usually comes with the air horn package) and thick guage wires. Also look around for a really good high quality switch that will look good on your dash.

That's how I;ve done it atleast. Hope it helps you out.

Oh yeah I almost forgot:

Super Tone - 112 db

Nautilus - 139 db

Today a dumper was refusing to get out of my way. Blasted him with both horns. I've never seen a truck move aside so quickly before :D

@ Boom; which car?...................

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas
@ Boom; which car?...................

Optra.

Was having major issues with ricks, bikes and just about everybody taking advantage of the fact that I won't drive aggressively. Previously I;ve used the Stebel in my Lancer and it had great results there too.

Challenger, I'd recommend the Stebel Nautilus over the Hellas because it is really compact and doesn;t have pipes, trumpets etc. Yet it delivers almost the same output (139db is no joke) and has worked for years without trouble.

Also, because it's small, it is easy to fit. I tried fitting Stebel twin trumpet air horns earlier because they looked so big and loud. But they're not really meant for a car. So you have to find all kinds of space to squeeze them into, and then when you shut the bonnet you find half the sound is muffled, so no point in having an air horn at all. The Stebel's size and shape make it easy to fit right near the air vents in the front bumper, so you get maximum effect.

Costs about 800-900 bucks max. Wiring and fitting might be a bit more, but it's definitely worth it. Ironically, I use the horn less now, because I know that I can actually do something about the jackass in front of me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECM

ECM, do you mean its illegal to use airhorns in Gujarat? Or you mean the major cities only? Hi-ways ofcourse you can use whatever horn you wish to. I switch to my normal one once I enter Surat city.

Cheers!!!:p

az

Quote:

Is there any way I can get the air-horn horn installed? Please advise.
Your inputs will be greatly appreciated.
Challenger : you can install air horn independant. nothing to do with OEM wires and nothing to do with horn switch. but you have to use seperate switch for this horn. any good electrician can fit this.

Quote:

ECM, Autozealot : I dont think they are not allowed in our state..but becareful and dont tease traffic police.. Thats It...:p

Cheers,
Mugen_Power.

hey boom do you have a pic of the Stebel Nautilus ?? i want to see it.can i fit it on my bike ??

Rev

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugen_Power
Challenger : you can install air horn independant. nothing to do with OEM wires and nothing to do with horn switch. but you have to use seperate switch for this horn. any good electrician can fit this.

ECM, Autozealot : I dont think they are not allowed in our state..but becareful and dont tease traffic police.. Thats It...:p

Cheers,
Mugen_Power.

Yes, Mugen_Power, you are right. Can never depend on traffic cops.

;)

az

Do the Stebel Nautilus.... Sounds more or less like the Skoda horns... only louder!! :D ... And if ever the cops do ask you to pop your hood, they'd see a regular horn with no plumbing etc associated with a air horn.. so you are okay there too!!

Really compact and really nice! ... I have one and was seriousluy considering going for the second ... A DUET on the highway!!...

@JK - Have you installed yours yet?

Quote:

Originally Posted by revtech
hey boom do you have a pic of the Stebel Nautilus ?? i want to see it.can i fit it on my bike ??Rev

revtech check out this link for the pic of the Stebal Nautilus horn.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/185351-post24.html

Which bike do you wana fit it to. I have fitted it in my Karizma.

Cheers Ed...

Off topic:

I heard that in canada, people hardly use Horns?
They use it only when it is absolutely necessary..
If u blare ur horns too much, u can be sued...

pity india...I see people blaring their horns in open stretch of roads...