Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 23rd February 2013, 00:26   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default May the force be with Chameli - Lightforce on my Figo

Background
The pre-facelift Ford Figo has been very justly criticized for having a very poor headlight reflector design (see related thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...headlight.html (Worst OEM Headlight)). Stock headlight is not all that great, and pretty much useless for anything other than the city at city speeds - less than 60kmph.

I bought my Figo - Chameli - in May 2010. I realised, very quickly, just how bad the headlights really are. About 6 months into the ownership of the car, I fitted 100/90 Philips bulbs with new wiring and relay. Lighting improved a lot, and I was happy. Driving at night on the highway was not a scary prospect any more.

A few months ago ...
A goods auto backed into the left front fender. It was a fender-bender (literally!) and resultant damage was relatively minor. While examining the damage, I closely examined my headlights as well and noticed that the plastic lens cover had quite a few minute cracks originating from the inside. Which, I guessed, was because the 100/90 bulbs were a lot hotter than stock 55/60. Promptly chucked the 100/90 bulbs and fitted Osram NightBreaker Plus of stock wattage. In the city, I saw no difference between the 100/90 and Osram 55/60.

After going through the auto lighting threads on this forum, I came to the conclusion that
1. Reflector design primarily determines how well the road is illuminated, bulb wattage is a distant second (which is why the old KiHo offered useless illumination, same bulb in my Flyte gave me good illumination)
2. If I wanted the road properly illuminated for night-time highway driving, I needed aux lamps

I narrowed the choice of aux driving lights to 2 brands - Hella and Lightforce - after I read through this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ary-lamps.html (Auxiliary Lamps). Then I saw the ad placed by the distributor of Lightforce in a car magazine - Car Trendz, Mission Road, Bangalore. Called him, spoke with him, went to his shop and I guess he did a good sales job because I have now compiled this post!

What did I buy?
Lightforce 170 Striker. 70W each, plus wiring kit and relay.
Now, when I spoke with the shop owner, he promised me a fitter who would fit the lamps so that there would be no vibration. And he emphasized that no vibration up to speeds of 120kmph meant exactly zero vibrations.

Fitting the lamps
This turned out to be a tedious affair. The day I bought the lamps, the area where the fitter's shop was had an unscheduled power cut, so he asked me to come back next day. I went back the next day, in the morning at 11:30am.

Step 1
The fitter first removed a few screws and loosened the bumper. Then, he got a strip of cardboard and fashioned a template bracket.

Step 2
The electrician got to work with the wiring, connecting the relay and fuse.

Step 3
The fitter disappeared with the template and got the bracket fabricated out of 5mm thick steel. By the time this happened, the electrician had pulled the wire into the dashboard, discussed and agreed on a position for the switch with me, and was busy fitting the switch. The wiring was essentially ready.

Step 4
With the brackets ready, the fitter marked the spot on the chassis cross-member where the bracket would be welded. He then removed the bumper and got to work unscrewing the bolts to remove the front chassis member. Notice the wire and box to support the radiator? The front chassis member supports that as well! There are 7 bolts on either side.
Off-topic: While this was happening, the fitter revealed that only 4 bolts held the front cross-member of the Innova. So, fewer bolts meant cheaper design, cheaper manufacture, and fewer chances of mistakes in manufacture as well implying better quality!
Step 5
Electrician's work is done. Wiring is now ready, switch has been fitted, dashboard panels put back.
The front cross-member comes back from the welding shop, and the fitter gets to work putting it all back. Aligning the cross-member while bolting it on proved tricky without jigs/tooling that Ford factory & A.S.S. might have. But they did it correctly nevertheless.
Off-topic: Again, the fitter told me that the Innova did not require any special trickery to align the cross-member for fitting. Simpler, cheaper, leading to better quality.
Step 6
The finishing touches.
Bumper is fitted back, and the lights bolted on to the brackets. Then, all electrical systems are given one last check, revealing one fog lamp out of action. Turns out that the electrician had forgotten to connect the wire behind the bumper. Fixed in 30 seconds flat, and I was good to go.

Hang on! Not quite yet!

When the work got over, it was 3:30pm. Blazing daylight. The lights needed to be pointed in the right direction. I got a chance to do it a couple of days later, when I was in the office till midnight. In the empty basement, I asked the security guard to switch off most lights. After parking the car as close to the wall as I dared, I marked out the centre point of both the lights and aligned/focused them.

The result
I drove back home via the NICE road and took a 20km drive down Kanakapura Road in the wrong direction. The lights are ridiculously effective. They were picking up muddied reflectors of trucks ~500 metres away. And I felt confident up to speeds of 120kmph.
And yes, there truly is zero vibration.

I turned off Kanakapura road into a smaller side street ... somewhere ... in the middle of nowhere ... just to take these pictures, to show the illumination offered by these lamps.

First pic: Low Beam (Osram Night Breaker + 55/60W)

Second pic: High Beam (Osram Night Breaker + 55/60W

Third pic: LightForce with Low Beam

Fourth pic: On the move, what the road looks like

Inspiration for the Next Mod
In the last picture, notice the opening circled? And the air intake pipe? Now, I am thinking that this opening is the ideal place the a cold air intake. With the added benefit that the pipe leading to the air filter will be shorter and with only one bend.
Attached Thumbnails
May the force be with Chameli - Lightforce on my Figo-01_bracket.jpg  

May the force be with Chameli - Lightforce on my Figo-02_markingbracketpositioning.jpg  

May the force be with Chameli - Lightforce on my Figo-03_frontchassismemberoff.jpg  

May the force be with Chameli - Lightforce on my Figo-04_switchinterior.jpg  

May the force be with Chameli - Lightforce on my Figo-05_bracketwelded.jpg  

May the force be with Chameli - Lightforce on my Figo-06_bumperfittedback.jpg  

May the force be with Chameli - Lightforce on my Figo-07_finalresult1.jpg  

May the force be with Chameli - Lightforce on my Figo-08_finalresult2.jpg  

May the force be with Chameli - Lightforce on my Figo-09_lowbeam.jpg  

May the force be with Chameli - Lightforce on my Figo-10_highbeam.jpg  

May the force be with Chameli - Lightforce on my Figo-11_auxlamps.jpg  

May the force be with Chameli - Lightforce on my Figo-12_auxlampsonthemove.jpg  

May the force be with Chameli - Lightforce on my Figo-13_cai_possibly.jpg  

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 19th May 2013 at 01:16.
KiloAlpha is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2013, 11:21   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: May the force be with Chameli - Lightforce on my Figo

Thread moved from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2013, 12:03   #3
BHPian

How much did the entire setup cost?

Btw, the first thing to go in a minor crash in bumper to bumper traffic will be your set of new lights.
hellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2013, 12:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

Nice setup; my comments:

1. Be very careful in bumper-2-bumper traffic. Even hitting a motorcycle from behind (even mildly) will cost YOU.
2. Beam looks a bit too high and pointed towards oncoming traffic. Maybe lower it and point it a bit more towards the center? Your right beam seems to be set as a pencil beam while the left is wide beam. Is this intentional?
3. Are there locking nuts? If not buy and fit! Smart burglars know very well that these LFs are easily saleable and costly. Take care!
4. Bangalore Police sometimes checks and fines people (in CBD) using such auxiliary lights. Strictly avoid them in city!

Last edited by itwasntme : 19th May 2013 at 12:57. Reason: Addition
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2013, 14:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
How much did the entire setup cost?

Btw, the first thing to go in a minor crash in bumper to bumper traffic will be your set of new lights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Nice setup; my comments:

1. Be very careful in bumper-2-bumper traffic. Even hitting a motorcycle from behind (even mildly) will cost YOU.
2. Beam looks a bit too high and pointed towards oncoming traffic. Maybe lower it and point it a bit more towards the center? Your right beam seems to be set as a pencil beam while the left is wide beam. Is this intentional?
3. Are there locking nuts? If not buy and fit! Smart burglars know very well that these LFs are easily saleable and costly. Take care!
4. Bangalore Police sometimes checks and fines people (in CBD) using such auxiliary lights. Strictly avoid them in city!
Damage to wallet was in the region of 27K, all inclusive.

It took me a while to get used to driving in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Initially, I had to be very conscious of the extra inches in front of the front bumper.

Beam focusing is still not totally perfect, still needs some work.

I never use them in the city - because of ambient street lighting and low speeds, I don't feel the need for them.
KiloAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 00:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Background
The pre-facelift Ford Figo has been very justly criticized for having a very poor headlight reflector design
Inspiration for the Next Mod
In the last picture, notice the opening circled? And the air intake pipe? Now, I am thinking that this opening is the ideal place the a cold air intake. With the added benefit that the pipe leading to the air filter will be shorter and with only one bend.
I got a similar work done on my Figo last year , but Hella Comets with upgraded 100 w bulbs from the stock 50w.
Was all that I needed although I had 100/90 as well .These aux lamps were a mix of spread and point lighting.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post2955825 (Auxiliary Lamps)

I feel you should have gone for a bolt on job rather than welding as when you want to remove it, it can be done easily. The vibrations depend on which part of the car you are mounting the lamps on. When fixed on the front cross member , welding or bolts will lead to no vibrations at any speed.

Fixing was using L clamps on the front dog bar , although in my case, it was not removed. Only the bumper removed and the L clamps were screwed on to one of the many holes on the bar. Absolute 0 vibrations at any speeds . I hardly use it in city since the cover is on always and when it rains is when I use it and since I have upgraded the bulbs in it, I know for a fact it will blind on-coming traffic.
I use it more for the stubborn cabs that drive on brights all the time.

The cold air intake, I have the same set up as you have mentioned . Makes the engine run much smoother and I would recommend it .
tharian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2013, 18:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

What a nice time to read this thread.

I just spoke to the car Trendz person this morning. I am planning to have the Lance 140 on my Innova.

Glad to know that you like his service.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2013, 19:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Damage to wallet was in the region of 27K, all inclusive.

It took me a while to get used to driving in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Initially, I had to be very conscious of the extra inches in front of the front bumper.

Beam focusing is still not totally perfect, still needs some work.

I never use them in the city - because of ambient street lighting and low speeds, I don't feel the need for them.
Is the premium worth it over hella that cost 1/5th the price?
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2013, 03:38   #9
BHPian

Hi KiloAlpha,

First of all thanks for posting a very detailed process along with pictures.

Could you please help me with the following connector in the picture posted by you. Was this connector included in the LightForce wiring or did you purchase this separately. I am looking for a similar connector to install aux light in my car.

May the force be with Chameli - Lightforce on my Figo-untitled.jpg

Regards.

Last edited by antardaksh : 22nd September 2013 at 03:40.
antardaksh is offline   Reply With Quote