Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 16th May 2006, 20:08   #16
BHPian

Hi Apurva,

My understanding of the wing is that its highly technical and is car specific, ie, has to be designed keeping with the aerodynamics of the car/shape. Well, our brothers in F1 spend millions on designing the wing design alone for the downforce requirement. Given that fact I dont know how effective is an aftermarket GT spoiler in increasing the downforce. Is it possible that the stability that you feel is in your mind?? Dont intend to be cynical, but its just a thought. Would be more than glad if any of the auto junta can add more gyan.
Moreover, the Straight lines of the GT spoiler are a complete contrast to the curvy exteriors of the NHC, was this intentional?? Some kinda art nouveau in car design? Would like to have your comments!

cheers
mnemonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2006, 20:40   #17
BHPian

Probably you are right mnemonic. It might be in the mind. I havent had any technical checking done after fitting the spoiler. But I guess, a confident driver is any day better than a nervous one.
About the sharp lines of the spoiler against the curves of the NHC, nothing to do with art nouveau. Just that the OEM spoilers that the company gives didnt serve my purpose. I wanted downforce which the OEM spoilers lacked. Quiet a few number of people had told me that the GT spoilers create downforce and that the OEM spoilers are more show then go. Also the OEM spoilers are way too common. So I went for the GT style.
I do feel that I have to strain the car hard to push the needle beyound 150 when the fin is moved up and once the fin comes down, which reduced the downforce and lifts the car, the acceleration is quick. How true, I am not sure. Just a psychological effect..... may be.
AP
apurvapatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2006, 20:46   #18
Senior - BHPian

Hi Apurva,

Welcome to the forums. Your car looks nice.

WHile I belong to the other half of the populace who dont like NHC, The spoiler is a nice additional touch. The trendy spoiler adds a touch to the cab forward sedan similar to the Nice looking rear lights, Alloys and the front head lights. If the spoiler works for you than there is nothin more important. Also the dual exhaust pipes have been worked out well.

Overall The car delivers an understated style that Says a lot about the driver.

Congrats on such a nice car.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 16th May 2006 at 20:48.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2006, 22:18   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hi Apurva, welcome to the forum...have a great stay here.

I dont wanna disappoint you but the fact is that the downforce you are talking about is mere psychological as the wings ability to create downforce supposedly begins with a coefficient of drag that is created around ~200kmph(true speed and not speedo reading mind you) ideally but again the density of air might sway that +/-10kmph...Infact the spoiler right now only adds few extra pounds to your rear end...if thats helping you....great!

Anyways, congrats on your purchase...If you treat her well, a Honda never lets you down.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2006, 22:41   #20
BHPian

apurvapatel
Alabaster silver looks very nice
unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2006, 22:44   #21
Team-BHP Support

Exclamation Thread Closed

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff: Continue this discussion here.
Thank you for your co-operation.

Last edited by aah78 : 17th May 2006 at 19:00.
aah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2006, 19:43   #22
BHPian

Thanks devarshi. Yes, the spoiler works for me. Who cares if it is only psycologically! As long as I am happy with it, it works!!
Wolf, I do feel the extra grip while driving now after adding the spoiler. Dont mind if it isnt the air flow that is working..... as I said, as long as I am happy, it works for me
Old 21st May 2006, 01:19   #23
BANNED

Great post! But that WING?? hmmmmm!! It's a no! It should've been better to tune the suspension setup and get wider tyres. That huge thing really looks out of place.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2006, 09:14   #24
BHPian

Wolf,
As you said, the spoiler right now only adds a few extra pounds. Taking the weight factor into consideration and the fact that air has weight and it does flow....., may be not very fast, but it does flow. Wouldnt that create even a little downforce? Maybe not 100%, since, as you said, "downforce supposedly begins with a coefficient of drag that is created around ~200kmph" but say, 15%-20% at 100kmph? The downforce isnt very evident below those speeds anyway. Wouldnt even that much amount make a difference in driving?
I am not a technical person, nor do I come from a science background to know the basics of aerodynamics or physics, I just want to understand how the air works on the spoiler....
AP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf
Hi Apurva, welcome to the forum...have a great stay here.

I dont wanna disappoint you but the fact is that the downforce you are talking about is mere psychological as the wings ability to create downforce supposedly begins with a coefficient of drag that is created around ~200kmph(true speed and not speedo reading mind you) ideally but again the density of air might sway that +/-10kmph...Infact the spoiler right now only adds few extra pounds to your rear end...if thats helping you....great!

Anyways, congrats on your purchase...If you treat her well, a Honda never lets you down.
Old 24th May 2006, 14:46   #25
BHPian

Congrats on your new plane.. oops car! just kidding, i liked your new car design very much, happy landing
netarchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2006, 15:10   #26
Senior - BHPian

Your car looks good or as good as the NHC can look. Keep it shining. Neat car.
jyobeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2006, 16:38   #27
BHPian

Colour and exhaust i liked abt your car.
triggercool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2006, 17:30   #28
Senior - BHPian

dude tell me why don't merc,bmw and others like lexus,toyota,audi put spoilers on their cars.....thats coz it does not have an effect at low speeds.....you remember the mclaren F1,porche 911 turbo,the carrera GT,veyron etc etc.....they all have wings which lift up only after 200Kmph or 160mph.....dude...thats coz the effect of the wing comes into force only above that speed....

if you take turns at say even 150....it is possible that the wings are assisting you.....but dude positively have you ever taken a turn at 100....like the roads in India don't permit you.....

look i'm not criticizing you....you absolutely right that a confident driver is better than a nervous one.....its good that the wing's got your confidence in the car back.....but keep your fundas right dude.....

peace....k....no hard feelings....
navpreet318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2006, 17:55   #29
BHPian

nice looking car.
twin exhausts look clean, neat.
But honestly, the design of the spoiler is a real " spoiler" IMHO.

it looks like something that belongs to capt kirk and spock.

get wider tires too.
Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2006, 18:21   #30
BHPian

Hey the car looks gr888888, but will look hot without those wings. Try out the low profile wheels it will rock. The vtech performance must awesome, nice baby to own take good care of her.
tazz_rules is offline   Reply With Quote