Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2015, 18:43   #226
BHPian
 
Jag4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Delhi
Posts: 123
Thanked: 103 Times
Default Re: Best Xenon HID conversion kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
Being a new member has absolutely no bearing on the quality or value of genuine opinion expressed above. This is a "HID conversion kit" thread and in my view it is certainly valid to educate the forum on potential issues in using HID conversion kits with standard OEM headlamps.
It is a very common and known fact and problem that HID kits used in standard OEM's may/will lead to burning out reflectors or bleaching the reflectors white AND sometimes melt reflectors near the base of the lamp. Technically, this is due to low ventilation, as the standard OEM are designed for low Watt ratings.
Discharge lights or HID's put out quite large amounts of UV and no matter what the manufacturers do to make plastics resistant, they will all eventually succumb to the effects of UV and will be further exacerbated if HID are used. UV and heat are issues are associated with all high power lamps to one extent or another ---> This is why in automotive world they tend to keep the wattages down. Otherwise it starts to get very expensive very fast. There is a reason for which standard headlamps offer low wattages.
It will be foolish to think that Joe Blogs would prefer a HID conversion kit if they had known of potential damages it could cause in future to their standard headlamps. I merely, tried to educate the readers of this forum to make a balanced decision - of considering between standalone Aux lamps and HID conversion kits.
Whether my statement is/was a moot point - is a bit like asking whether panadol or paracetemol is better to treat a sick person instead of finding out the cause for his/her sickness.
I don’t see how you can educate the forum by asking a question, infact this next post of yours is far more educative than the last, if I may put it as that.
This is a "Best HID Conversion Kit thread” and this education is dealt with & thus belongs to this thread here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...lamps-faq.html (HID Kit / Projector / Xenon Lamps FAQ)

Also, as rightly pointed out by devilwearsprada, Aux lights are next to impossible to mount without modifying any part of the bumper/grill of most cars and as you have pointed out cost upto 2.5 times more than standard lights. The brackets used for mounting also increase the chances of damaging expensive & vital engine components (like the radiator) in case of a Frontal Hit.

It would be safe to assume that anyone who is viewing a thread titled ‘The Best Hid Conversion Kit’ knows what a Hid kit is and the Pro’s/Con’s of its installation and usage.
Regarding damage caused due to heat & UV, I have personally seen i20’s, Laura’s and Honda City’s with absolutely no sign of wear and tear in approximately 3-4 years of HID usage(with Osram/P8 kits).

If you use a Branded kit and it is installed perfectly it may run for years without any problem but with a chinese/no brand kit these effects maybe more visible/pronounced (causes may range from the salts used in the bulb to the quality of the ballast).

I will leave it to others to decide whether the point was moot and the fact that you learn with experience.
I don’t intend to spam this thread on this particular topic anymore and I request you to do the same.

Last edited by Jag4 : 29th November 2015 at 18:59.
Jag4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2015, 17:44   #227
BHPian
 
peterjim13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Kochi/S.Bathery
Posts: 401
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: Best Xenon HID conversion kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Anybody here using P8 hids? I would like to know how good they are. Planning to upgrade to HIDs.
Hi Naveen, did you upgrade your stock bulbs to P8. I assume you are using them on projectors. I am also keen to upgrade the low beam projector to an HID. Having heard of P8 for long, I landed up on a set of them at Global Tyres. They say the whole thing will come around 8-9k for the Ballast, Wiring and 2 headlamps. What do you suggest ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
Hi Naveen. Using them on my Laura, City and the wife's old Brio. No issues till date and have been happy with their performance as well.

Rohan
I have been struggling with the stock lamps on my XUV, can you tell me about the best HID brands available in India. Sure Philips, Osram would have some in their range. How are they priced against P8.
peterjim13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2015, 06:54   #228
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,605
Thanked: 2,705 Times
Default Re: Best Xenon HID conversion kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
Hi Naveen, did you upgrade your stock bulbs to P8. I assume you are using them on projectors. I am also keen to upgrade the low beam projector to an HID. Having heard of P8 for long, I landed up on a set of them at Global Tyres. They say the whole thing will come around 8-9k for the Ballast, Wiring and 2 headlamps. What do you suggest ?
Nope, I havent. I actually wanted to go for Osram since I had them on the ecosport but since Hyundai provides only P8 as accessory, think I might go with it. Also, I will have to drill a hole to run the wires through the dust cover and am not keen on trying this out at any accessory shop. My plan is to upgrade in Feb. Many BHPians have good opinion on P8. Hyundai also quoted around 9k for the entire kit.

Do let me know if you go for it. Need your feedback as well.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2015, 11:09   #229
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Noida/New Delhi
Posts: 379
Thanked: 694 Times
Default Re: Best Xenon HID conversion kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
I have been struggling with the stock lamps on my XUV, can you tell me about the best HID brands available in India. Sure Philips, Osram would have some in their range. How are they priced against P8.
I have been happy with P8 on most of my cars. No issues whatsoever. And at 8-9k there doesn't seem to have been an increase in price- I picked mine for the same price. I wanted to go for Osram but was getting it for 12k and wasn't sure of the genuineness of kit. Philips kit was made in china to avoided that as there were reports of many fake kits in the market. Hence went in for P8 and have no complaints to share so far.

Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2016, 12:14   #230
BHPian
 
peterjim13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Kochi/S.Bathery
Posts: 401
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: Best Xenon HID conversion kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Nope, I havent. I actually wanted to go for Osram since I had them on the ecosport but since Hyundai provides only P8 as accessory, think I might go with it. Also, I will have to drill a hole to run the wires through the dust cover and am not keen on trying this out at any accessory shop. My plan is to upgrade in Feb. Many BHPians have good opinion on P8. Hyundai also quoted around 9k for the entire kit.

Do let me know if you go for it. Need your feedback as well.
Wow. So you mean to say that P8 is a part of accessories offered by Hyundai ? Great !

I am looking at changing my H4 stock bulbs inside my projector to a P8 hid. My stock bulbs on my XuV5OO is an Osram 60/55W. So what should be the ideal HID for better results ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
I have been happy with P8 on most of my cars. No issues whatsoever. And at 8-9k there doesn't seem to have been an increase in price- I picked mine for the same price. I wanted to go for Osram but was getting it for 12k and wasn't sure of the genuineness of kit. Philips kit was made in china to avoided that as there were reports of many fake kits in the market. Hence went in for P8 and have no complaints to share so far.

Rohan
Excellent. Great to know. So what I understand is P8 would be the right pick with around 4300 K color temp. I am looking at upgrading the same for my XUV 5OO low beams.
peterjim13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2016, 12:21   #231
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,605
Thanked: 2,705 Times
Default Re: Best Xenon HID conversion kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
Wow. So you mean to say that P8 is a part of accessories offered by Hyundai ? Great !

I am looking at changing my H4 stock bulbs inside my projector to a P8 hid. My stock bulbs on my XuV5OO is an Osram 60/55W. So what should be the ideal HID for better results ?
Yes, this is what they said when I checked on the brand when I bought the car.

You can install 4300k 35w HIDs. Although 50w is available, 35 is widely preferred and easily available at shops.

PS- Do let me know when you install it. Although, my installation will take couple of months (next priority being sun films), I would like to see the end result.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2016, 12:25   #232
BHPian
 
peterjim13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Kochi/S.Bathery
Posts: 401
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: Best Xenon HID conversion kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Yes, this is what they said when I checked on the brand when I bought the car.

You can install 4300k 35w HIDs. Although 50w is available, 35 is widely preferred and easily available at shops.

PS- Do let me know when you install it. Although, my installation will take couple of months (next priority being sun films), I would like to see the end result.
Yes I am planning to get 4300K bulbs only. Could you tell me why 35w and not 50w.

Wont there be much difference in its performance. I have a lot of highway and night drives, and my car does a lot of high range drives too. Wouldnt it be better to go for something around 55w ?
peterjim13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2016, 12:29   #233
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,605
Thanked: 2,705 Times
Default Re: Best Xenon HID conversion kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
Yes I am planning to get 4300K bulbs only. Could you tell me why 35w and not 50w.

Wont there be much difference in its performance. I have a lot of highway and night drives, and my car does a lot of high range drives too. Wouldnt it be better to go for something around 55w ?
Of course, 50w gives a better output than 35w HIDs. But very few guys stock 50w hids here (dont know the scene now. This was couple of years back). If you are able to find one, then go for it. AFAIK, the legal limit of HID is 35w so maybe that's why it's easily available (I may be wrong too).
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2016, 12:31   #234
BHPian
 
peterjim13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Kochi/S.Bathery
Posts: 401
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: Best Xenon HID conversion kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Of course, 50w gives a better output than 35w HIDs. But very few guys stock 50w hids here (dont know the scene now. This was couple of years back). If you are able to find one, then go for it. AFAIK, the legal limit of HID is 35w so maybe that's why it's easily available (I may be wrong too).
Sure thanks for that.

I found P8s at Global Tyres near my office. Let me check them out today.
I shall let you know of further updates. Thanks so much.

Regards
peterjim13 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2016, 13:02   #235
BHPian
 
peterjim13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Kochi/S.Bathery
Posts: 401
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: Best Xenon HID conversion kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Of course, 50w gives a better output than 35w HIDs. But very few guys stock 50w hids here (dont know the scene now. This was couple of years back). If you are able to find one, then go for it. AFAIK, the legal limit of HID is 35w so maybe that's why it's easily available (I may be wrong too).
Naveen, i did search a lot for the legal limits of the same. From what I understand less than 60W is legal for Gas Discharge Lamps.

And I checked the Global Tyres Store yesterday. They had P8 50W 4300Ks for Rs. 9800
peterjim13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2016, 13:13   #236
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,605
Thanked: 2,705 Times
Default Re: Best Xenon HID conversion kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
Naveen, i did search a lot for the legal limits of the same. From what I understand less than 60W is legal for Gas Discharge Lamps.

And I checked the Global Tyres Store yesterday. They had P8 50W 4300Ks for Rs. 9800
Great. Then go for it. the price seems good. I was given around 9k for 35w P8 HIDs. Hope I can get to the results from you. Also, please check whether the headlight dust cover needs drilling to run the wires. Creta and Ecosport is having a main power module that's connected to the headlight unit, meaning the bulbs are sealed in a dust cover since there are no individual wires. Do let me know if XUV is having the same module or it's a normal unit.

All the best.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2016, 13:18   #237
BHPian
 
peterjim13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Kochi/S.Bathery
Posts: 401
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: Best Xenon HID conversion kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Great. Then go for it. the price seems good. I was given around 9k for 35w P8 HIDs. Hope I can get to the results from you. Also, please check whether the headlight dust cover needs drilling to run the wires. Creta and Ecosport is having a main power module that's connected to the headlight unit, meaning the bulbs are sealed in a dust cover since there are no individual wires. Do let me know if XUV is having the same module or it's a normal unit.

All the best.
Sure, let me check and shall update on the progress. !
peterjim13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 16:34   #238
Senior - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,228
Thanked: 2,441 Times
Default Re: Best Xenon HID conversion kit

Hi,

I am planning to upgrade the halogen headlights of my Polo GT TSi to projectors. I have been discussing with Lumens Systems, Bangalore about various options (after market units from Eagle Eyes Taiwan, and retrofit of projectors). They have an option to retrofit FX-R BiXenon projectors inside a previous generation Polo Headlight housing. The projectors are from a company called NHK, with 55W ballast and OSRAM 4700K lights.

Has anyone used this combination of projectors? Can you please provide inputs on the performance?

Thanks in advance for all pointers.
graaja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 17:13   #239
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 6,917
Thanked: 3,471 Times
Default Re: Best Xenon HID conversion kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
The projectors are from a company called NHK, with 55W ballast and OSRAM 4700K lights.

Has anyone used this combination of projectors? Can you please provide inputs on the performance?
Do you really need 55W? I am not too happy with 4700K but should be Ok. Do not ignire the ballasts, they are responsible for 90% plus of failures. Make sure you get AC ballasts of a good make. Also, whether you will need CANBUS types.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 17:43   #240
Senior - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,228
Thanked: 2,441 Times
Default Re: Best Xenon HID conversion kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Do you really need 55W? I am not too happy with 4700K but should be Ok. Do not ignire the ballasts, they are responsible for 90% plus of failures. Make sure you get AC ballasts of a good make. Also, whether you will need CANBUS types.
Thanks a lot for the feedback.

I just called the vendor and got the following information.

1. For the FX-R projector setup, they recommend 55W
2. The ballast is Fast Bright
3. HID bulbs are CN

Are these reliable ballasts and bulbs?

Polo GT TSi does not have light failure detection, so CAN bus is not required.
graaja is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HID Kit / Projector / Xenon Lamps FAQ Takumi-san Modifications & Accessories 17 12th August 2015 14:34
HID Xenon NOTORIOUS Technical Stuff 196 18th October 2014 21:18
HID Xenon fog / driving lamps for OHC gbpscars Modifications & Accessories 4 17th October 2008 11:14
For Sale: German H7 HID xenon kit gbpscars Shifting gears 2 13th September 2007 16:00
Help me out with XENON / HID lights fb1 Modifications & Accessories 16 19th May 2007 02:55


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:48.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks