Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2009, 17:00   #61
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 663
Thanked: 136 Times
Default

Im not sure what the law says in India, but as per the research i carried out, aftermarket HID conversions in the US are mostly illegal.

The HID's were installed in existing swift OE headlamps and no changes were done. Its a really simple proced really, no cutting of wires, only mouting the ballasts and controllers. the Hi/LO is actuated by a single filament and the movt is achieveed by the controller when the headlamp switch is shifted from high to low, sum magnetic type.The bulb moves in and out. Also the heat generated is much lesser than a halo bulb !! For other type like H1. H7, H11 etc, also kits are available.

I guess the reason to provide halogen on full beam is to reduce the cost to the manufacturer ? But now cars like the Passat r available with Bi Xenon as std fitment where 2 sets of projectros are used ?

The beams do not blind the oncoming traffic as long as its on low. ill post sum night time pics to illustrate them.This would be a problem with aftermarket projectors where the light beam would get scattered !!!

There is a disclaimer on the box in really fine print which says - 'For off road use only'. But being in Blore, where the road conditions are really bad, esp when it rains, any additional light on the road would only help to save oneself

I strongly recommend any of ull who r planning to istall HID's , do so only with the original kits of Philips, other kits would be at half the rate, but offer no guarantee whatsoever..
nirmaljusdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 23:37   #62
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 663
Thanked: 136 Times
Default

Hi Guys... check out the pics of the lights o low and hi beam
Attached Thumbnails
Best Xenon HID conversion kit-240620091434.jpg  

Best Xenon HID conversion kit-240620091435.jpg  

nirmaljusdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2009, 10:58   #63
BHPian
 
Mushroomz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Wonderland
Posts: 81
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

WOW.. The hi beam is pretty high I feel. The low looks perfect.
These are projectors right ?

Btw +1 on the light getting scattered. Its not been even 4 days into the HID change and I am worried about the light that gets throwed on the people. Well, I am going to my installer one more time and get the settings done.

Also, please let me know if there is something that can be done now. I tried asking on the other thread about moving to projector setup but its all in vain as H4 cant be fitted onto the projectors. It needs H1. Wrong move by me I feel.
Mushroomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2009, 13:39   #64
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 168
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushroomz View Post
Also, please let me know if there is something that can be done now. I tried asking on the other thread about moving to projector setup but its all in vain as H4 cant be fitted onto the projectors. It needs H1. Wrong move by me I feel.
As I mentioned in my previous post, it is almost impossible to achieve correct beam focus using cheap aftermaket chinese projector headlights. About running HIDs in reflector headlights, it is illegal and you would be putting other road users and yourself into great danger.

Trust me, I spent 50K for my HIDs and Projector setup. But what I got at the end is couple of near misses at high speeds on highways.

The best option for you would be to throw away those HID kits and revert to your OEM lights.
novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2009, 14:00   #65
BHPian
 
Mushroomz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Wonderland
Posts: 81
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

I know what you mean. I had read good reviews about Autogauge but seems like I didn't do my homework well. I will have to re-think about moving back to OEMs.
Thanks !
Mushroomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2009, 13:47   #66
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 663
Thanked: 136 Times
Default

Hi .. these are the original philips HID kit installed in my OEM reflector, no changes done to the setup, according to the philips guys, the HID kits they sell are OK to be used in the stock headlights and would give btr results.....

the hi beam is pretty high...ive adjusted the high beam in such a way so as to make the idiots who drive around with hi beam dip their lights...by using the switch on the dashboard..

One flash from my hi beam is enough for them to dip theirs otherwise i find the low beam suits my reqts more than enough....
nirmaljusdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2009, 07:46   #67
BHPian
 
Mushroomz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Wonderland
Posts: 81
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Is there a way I can set my HID beam?? Please help !

Cheers !
Mushroomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2009, 21:04   #68
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 663
Thanked: 136 Times
Default

HI Mushroomz !

You wanna set the hi beam on your projectors or the stock headlight ??
nirmaljusdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2009, 12:13   #69
BHPian
 
Mushroomz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Wonderland
Posts: 81
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Hey Nirmal,

I want to set the hi beam on my HID, not the stock. I have HID h4 installed.

Cheers !!
Mushroomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2009, 21:54   #70
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 133
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Hi .. these are the original philips HID kit installed in my OEM reflector, no changes done to the setup, according to the philips guys, the HID kits they sell are OK to be used in the stock headlights and would give btr results.....

the hi beam is pretty high...ive adjusted the high beam in such a way so as to make the idiots who drive around with hi beam dip their lights...by using the switch on the dashboard..

One flash from my hi beam is enough for them to dip theirs otherwise i find the low beam suits my reqts more than enough....
hi

have you installed the 4200 k or the 6000k Philips hid conversion kit.
amidoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 10:34   #71
BHPian
 
yzfrj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: who cares
Posts: 778
Thanked: 118 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoc View Post
hi

have you installed the 4200 k or the 6000k Philips hid conversion kit.
Philips had 4k and 6k. As per the dealer in Cochin they have only 6k now.
4k was way too yellowish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
the hi beam is pretty high...ive adjusted the high beam in such a way so as to make the idiots who drive around with hi beam dip their lights...by using the switch on the dashboard..
I do understand the sentiments behind the "revenge"
I've adjusted the lights in such a way that road will be well illuminated and not to blind on-coming traffic.

Lets face the facts, HID is simply too bright and it really does't matter or is required to blind the on coming "high-beamer". You will be able to see the road with these babies ON.

On a personal note, I don't use high beam that much and "only" when it is required. I hate it being used for no reason by not-so-well-informed drivers, I pity them.
Its just one of those Horn-OK-Please type things.

EDIT: Guys who are keen in going the HID way, stay away from Chinese brands its just for the "bling" factor and nothing else. You'll be wasting your money.

Last edited by yzfrj : 31st December 2009 at 10:36.
yzfrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 15:02   #72
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 663
Thanked: 136 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoc View Post
hi

have you installed the 4200 k or the 6000k Philips hid conversion kit.
As per what the Philips guys told me, they've discontinued the 4200 K due to customer feed back that its yellow and that customer demand is for the 6000 K due to its bluish white tint. (you can see in my night time picture above !)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post

I do understand the sentiments behind the "revenge"
I've adjusted the lights in such a way that road will be well illuminated and not to blind on-coming traffic.

Lets face the facts, HID is simply too bright and it really does't matter or is required to blind the on coming "high-beamer". You will be able to see the road with these babies ON.

On a personal note, I don't use high beam that much and "only" when it is required. I hate it being used for no reason by not-so-well-informed drivers, I pity them.
Its just one of those Horn-OK-Please type things.

EDIT: Guys who are keen in going the HID way, stay away from Chinese brands its just for the "bling" factor and nothing else. You'll be wasting your money.
i find the low beam suits my usage 90 % of the time and i use the high beam only to signal the oncoming guys to dip their lights, i find a faster response compared to when i had halogens ! You're right about the Chinese kits, Philips is way way better in terms of reliability and performance.

Last edited by nirmaljusdoit : 31st December 2009 at 15:04.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 16:36   #73
BHPian
 
SX4LOVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Highway
Posts: 275
Thanked: 126 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
As per what the Philips guys told me, they've discontinued the 4200 K due to customer feed back that its yellow and that customer demand is for the 6000 K due to its bluish white tint. (you can see in my night time picture above !)
How much did you get the 6000k for??
SX4LOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 19:22   #74
Senior - BHPian
 
vinaydas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,354
Thanked: 81 Times
Default

this still leaves the issue regarding the legality of HIDS.
are they legal? cops generally keep an eye out for people with lamps in colour anything other than yellow.
vinaydas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 19:56   #75
BHPian
 
abishek2222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 355
Thanked: 159 Times
Default

Can any one tell me if the plastic dome on the ANHC would melt if i changed over to Xenon HID
abishek2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HID Kit / Projector / Xenon Lamps FAQ Takumi-san Modifications & Accessories 17 12th August 2015 14:34
HID Xenon NOTORIOUS Technical Stuff 196 18th October 2014 21:18
HID Xenon fog / driving lamps for OHC gbpscars Modifications & Accessories 4 17th October 2008 11:14
For Sale: German H7 HID xenon kit gbpscars Shifting gears 2 13th September 2007 16:00
Help me out with XENON / HID lights fb1 Modifications & Accessories 16 19th May 2007 02:55


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:41.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks