Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2011, 18:42   #121
BHPian
 
punterccrx8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 714
Thanked: 36 Times
Default Re: Best Xenon HID conversion kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by noidaboy View Post
Please do, Most of the times these kits are imported in parts, Bulbs,Ballasts and relays are ordered separately and the boxed, sticker'd and sold here. Hence the same kit is named differently but the product is the same. Honestly never seen Panasonic make HID's anyways just make sure the kelvins are same, Else they shift color with time and the difference will be further visible.
Quite aware that they are not some good quality HID s .Seems like all the components are assembled seperately.
punterccrx8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 21:07   #122
BHPian
 
Tassem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 467
Thanked: 418 Times
Default Re: Best Xenon HID conversion kit

Hi Guys!

Could someone please post a photo showing the beam pattern when the HID kit is installed within a stock reflector unit? I have HID on my lancer, but the headlamp is not the clear lens variety. Hence I cannot use that to decide on whether its a good idea to get HID for my new Verna.

On the Lancer I've gotten the lamp assembly aimed low so that I get an intensely bright low beam without blinding oncoming traffic. I've had it for over a year and have never heard a complaint from anyone. But I'm not sure how it will work with clear lens lamps.

If somebody could click the beam cut off on a wall, I'd be much obliged!

Thanks in advance!

Tassem.
Tassem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 13:15   #123
Newbie
 
Shreyance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai, India
Posts: 16
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Best Xenon HID conversion kit

My personal experience of the Philips HID Conversion Kit 6000K for the Toyota Innova has not been so good. I purchased the Kit from an authorized Philips Retailer here at Opera House, Mumbai in July, 2010 for around 8K. Less than 4 months down, the high beam, got brain of its own and refused to function on demand. 10 months down and the left side Bulb blew and now I have to go back to the stock bulbs, as no replacement is forthcoming from the company.

BTW while they were working, they were really good. Excellent vision, especially on the highways.
Shreyance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 18:41   #124
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 311
Thanked: 66 Times
Default Re: Best Xenon HID conversion kit

Hey, i am looking for HID Conversion Kits and Bulbs for Laura FL and E-class (both have projectors for low beams and clear lens reflectors for high). Can anyone guide me on what make and type should i get? I want to install the 4300K bulbs as i find the 6000K to be not-so-OEM. I'd appreciate if someone can give details for a reliable store/workshop in Mumbai? Thanks!
Akki_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2011, 07:36   #125
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10
Thanked: 7 Times
Thumbs up Re: Best Xenon HID conversion kit

I got a hid kit (6000k) when I went abroad for 5000Rs (appro). Since mine is an indica vista (which has H7 for low beam and H1 for high beam) and since HID are best for the low beam, I got H7 unit and fixed it myself. It is plug and play with little modification to the rubber dust cap behind the bulb. The beam is well controlled with a clear horizontal line cutting of the beam above the knee line. So I suppose there is no hassle to on coming traffic.

Not sure how long it is going to work since I just got it for a week. Will upload some picture of the beam in the night.
cherianb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2011, 10:15   #126
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,624
Thanked: 2,789 Times
Default Re: Best Xenon HID conversion kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherianb View Post
I got a hid kit (6000k) when I went abroad for 5000Rs (appro). Since mine is an indica vista (which has H7 for low beam and H1 for high beam) and since HID are best for the low beam, I got H7 unit and fixed it myself. It is plug and play with little modification to the rubber dust cap behind the bulb. The beam is well controlled with a clear horizontal line cutting of the beam above the knee line. So I suppose there is no hassle to on coming traffic.

Not sure how long it is going to work since I just got it for a week. Will upload some picture of the beam in the night.
Since you have gone for the low beams, it should be a problem to the oncoming traffic. But kindly double check this as some kits will not be properly aligned. Check this by pointing the light onto the wall and then in an open space. Check the beam from a far distance and see whether it's properly aligned.

Kindly post the pics and let us know which brand it is?
Happy Driving.
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 16:59   #127
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Best Xenon HID conversion kit

I did try to focus it on the wall and notice that the beam is not as sharp as a normal halogen (since it is not behind projector lens). Attaching a picture of the beam (low beam H7)

The kit I got is a non branded
Attached Images
 
cherianb is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 00:41   #128
BHPian
 
carfreak77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 306
Thanked: 128 Times
Default Re: Best Xenon HID conversion kit

Hi Guys! I want to upgrade my stock headlamps. I am thinking of fitting projectors along with an HID conversion kit. The 'projectors' are there only for low beam. So I guess for high beam I will have to stick to the current halogen bulbs. Anyway, I want to get an HID kit for my car (with projectors). Before buying the projectors, I want to confirm from fellow BHPians, will all bulb types fit with projectors(will all H1,H4, H7 etc fit with projectors)?
I am thinking of getting the Philips HID kit. Could anyone who has installed it please comment on its reliability and if there have been any issues with it?
Also does the philips HID kit come with one or two bulbs? How much does it cost in Mumbai currently?
Which particular type of bulb (H1,H4 etc) do they give with the HID kit? Can we choose depending on what will fit in projectors?
Thanks

Last edited by carfreak77 : 14th December 2011 at 00:46.
carfreak77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2011, 12:10   #129
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 189
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Best Xenon HID conversion kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak77 View Post
Hi Guys! I want to upgrade my stock headlamps. I am thinking of fitting projectors along with an HID conversion kit. The 'projectors' are there only for low beam. So I guess for high beam I will have to stick to the current halogen bulbs. Anyway, I want to get an HID kit for my car (with projectors). Before buying the projectors, I want to confirm from fellow BHPians, will all bulb types fit with projectors(will all H1,H4, H7 etc fit with projectors)?
I am thinking of getting the Philips HID kit. Could anyone who has installed it please comment on its reliability and if there have been any issues with it?
Also does the philips HID kit come with one or two bulbs? How much does it cost in Mumbai currently?
Which particular type of bulb (H1,H4 etc) do they give with the HID kit? Can we choose depending on what will fit in projectors?
Thanks
Mostly, projectors comes in lo beam. Some rare ones comes in both hi-lo. Make no mistake, projectors hi-lo works differently. In normal headlight, the bulb activates hi-lo. While in projectors, they are activated by a cut-off shield inside the projector.

Like any normal headlight/fog lights, projectors also comes in specific type like H1, H3, H7 etc. So you cannot use any bulb. So if projector uses H7 bulb, you need to get H7 Hid kit.

Cost will depend on the brand and type. Maybe anything between 2k to 8k. Got mine for 6k some 3 years back. Its a H7 HID kit. Still using it.
kaynmantis is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 02:26   #130
BHPian
 
carfreak77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 306
Thanked: 128 Times
Default Re: Best Xenon HID conversion kit

So I just found out that my low beam bulb is H7 and high beam is H1. I will be getting the projectors shortly. The projectors are only for low beam, not high beam. So, my question is can I get an H7 HID kit (low beam) and an H1 HID kit (high beam)? I looked on the philips website but I did not see the type of bulbs they make the kit for.
Also, does anyone know how much will both the kits cost me in Mumbai? And, from where should I buy them?
Also could anyone please confirm that you get two bulbs (for either side) with one kit, am I correct?
Thanks in advance.
PS - I assume Philips is the best brand to get. If there are any other brands I should look into, kindly suggest.

Last edited by carfreak77 : 26th December 2011 at 02:27.
carfreak77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 08:25   #131
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,002
Thanked: 644 Times
Default Re: Best Xenon HID conversion kit

hi carfreak77,

I have used P8 Xenon conversion kit and its been working quite well so far. You should be able to obtain H7 as well.

regards,

Nitin
nitinbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2012, 02:27   #132
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New delhi
Posts: 1
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Best Xenon HID conversion kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak77 View Post
So I just found out that my low beam bulb is H7 and high beam is H1. I will be getting the projectors shortly. The projectors are only for low beam, not high beam. So, my question is can I get an H7 HID kit (low beam) and an H1 HID kit (high beam)? I looked on the philips website but I did not see the type of bulbs they make the kit for.
Also, does anyone know how much will both the kits cost me in Mumbai? And, from where should I buy them?
Also could anyone please confirm that you get two bulbs (for either side) with one kit, am I correct?
Thanks in advance.
PS - I assume Philips is the best brand to get. If there are any other brands I should look into, kindly suggest.
Hello Carfreak,
May I ask what is your budget for the entire setup, philips will cost you a bit more 30-40$ each and this is just the cost of the bulbs.
What kind of low beam projectors are you planning? do you have some pictures or maybe a model number of the projector?
My two cents would be since you are lucky enough to have separate high and low beam, go slow, do the low beam HID projector retrofitting now keep the high beams halogen, drive it around for a couple of days I am sure you will like them. I have personally experienced it is a mixture of halogen and HID's gives the perfect lighting.
Best of luck
tallyho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2012, 08:04   #133
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,002
Thanked: 644 Times
Default Re: Best Xenon HID conversion kit

Hello Carfreak77,

I have used P8 for my fortuner for both low and high beams. Each pair cost me about 7K. This is also recommended by Toyota ***. I do not find anything wrong with this.

An alternate solution would be to purchase a pair or two of extra light units such as from lightforce. This would be helpful if you're selling your car soon whence you can uninstall and fix on your new car. This would not be possible with HIDs as sockets differ from car to car.
nitinbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2012, 16:40   #134
Senior - BHPian
 
nilanjanray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,808
Thanked: 2,221 Times
Default Re: Best Xenon HID conversion kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Hello Carfreak77,

I have used P8 for my fortuner for both low and high beams. Each pair cost me about 7K. This is also recommended by Toyota ***. I do not find anything wrong with this.

An alternate solution would be to purchase a pair or two of extra light units such as from lightforce. This would be helpful if you're selling your car soon whence you can uninstall and fix on your new car. This would not be possible with HIDs as sockets differ from car to car.
Nitin,

I know the low beam must have improved, but has the high beam improved after the conversion? The Fortuner's stock high beam is quite good.

Regarding Lightforce: you can't use it for normal driving. Oncoming traffic gets totally blinded by it.
nilanjanray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2012, 10:56   #135
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,002
Thanked: 644 Times
Default Re: Best Xenon HID conversion kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Nitin,

I know the low beam must have improved, but has the high beam improved after the conversion? The Fortuner's stock high beam is quite good.

Regarding Lightforce: you can't use it for normal driving. Oncoming traffic gets totally blinded by it.

Both the low and high beams have significantly improved, though I only have to use the highbeam on dual-carriage ways & interstates.

Indeed, Lightforce should only be used for highways, am sure you are considering the light upgrades for the same. The stock lights are adequate for city driving. With Lightforce, you can uninstall and re-install when selling your vehicle, saving huge costs.
nitinbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HID Kit / Projector / Xenon Lamps FAQ Takumi-san Modifications & Accessories 17 12th August 2015 14:34
HID Xenon NOTORIOUS Technical Stuff 196 18th October 2014 21:18
HID Xenon fog / driving lamps for OHC gbpscars Modifications & Accessories 4 17th October 2008 11:14
For Sale: German H7 HID xenon kit gbpscars Shifting gears 2 13th September 2007 16:00
Help me out with XENON / HID lights fb1 Modifications & Accessories 16 19th May 2007 02:55


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:21.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks