Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2013, 15:45   #16
BHPian
 
Eminenttismo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: 18.00N,79.58E
Posts: 330
Thanked: 315 Times
Default re: Review & Ownership: RaceDynamics DieselTronic Dual Channel - Punto 90HP

@crazydriver, that's a sweet piece of article. Very entertaining yet informative. Thanks for my Sunday Blockbuster Thread! (I'm reading it on 31st Mar)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
.......Cruze it's insane and my brakes being in the fag end of its life, i am not taking a risk for a hard-stop.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
The high point of this box and the flexibility of the modes offered - Switch to E mode in B2B traffic, you can taunt the Beat Diesel / Nano driver next to you "Kitna Deti Hai?". Enter an expressway minutes later, switch to P2 mode and ask that Laura owner alongside you in the toll booth -"Got BHP?".[/i]
^^ ++++1!

Sums up pretty much everything what an RD box can do to Puntos & Cruzes!

Last edited by Eminenttismo : 31st March 2013 at 15:48.
Eminenttismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2013, 17:27   #17
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,951
Thanked: 16,659 Times
Default re: Review & Ownership: RaceDynamics DieselTronic Dual Channel - Punto 90HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Mods note: Thread moved from Assembly Line to Modifications & Accessories. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Let me be the first to congratulate you on the RD box on the Punto 90BHP.

Your description of feeling is pretty much what we all RD owners go through. Very aptly described the P2 mode : It just keeps pulling, pulling and pulling relentlessly

Out of my daily 52kms drive to work, 36kms are highway type and still i dont slot in the P2 because in the Cruze it's insane and my brakes being in the fag end of its life, i am not taking a risk for a hard-stop

Another BHPian from Hyderabad (Rider60) has remapped (dont know which brand) his Punto 90 and he is going ga-ga over it. Will ask him to drop into this thread

Enjoy the box and drive safe

Oh yeah ! Me, Chetan and Anirudh did a crazy TD on the necklace road in Hyderabad and entire 15kms TD, even though long open winding stretch, I wasn't allowed to put in P2 because P1 in dual channel felt like the P2 of Single channel. That's what I told Chetan too ( since I have the experience of owning the previous version of the box as well)
I have taken a TD of the Cruze and boy - the performance after the turbo kicked in had me grinning all day. I just can't imagine how an RD box on it would feel on it!

I trust every word of it when you say - 'It feels like a thoroughbred sports car in P2 mode'.

Remap for Punto? Waiting for his response. The only remap I've read about till date is Pete's - 110HP. I'm sure a remap would be a better experience compared to a tuning box - but I'm sure I don't want to be messing around with OE stuff for now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Congrats!

Can you please post some dyno figures across the various modes? That would really help quantify the changes you have described and be more objective as well.
Thanks. I'll be posting it as soon as I get it done- probably in the next two weeks.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2013, 21:15   #18
Distinguished - BHPian
 
nkrishnap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,493
Thanked: 4,108 Times
Default Re: Review & Ownership: RaceDynamics Dieseltronics Dual Channel - Punto 90HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Epilogue:

Scene: Home. Few days later.

CrAzY WiFe: You told you'll be getting some variable pay along with salary this time?
CrAzY dRiVeR: (Sure that some new jewellery/ household purchase plan is going to be revealed soon). Ya. But not significant. What happened?

CrAzY WiFe: You need to pay the credit card. You know - for the box? Dont forget.



Oh well - atleast - the box is worth the money spent.
That got me laughing for quite some time now.

Congrats on getting the box on the Punto. Your are really tempting me to take the plunge too. The car really revs far far better than the stock and picks up speed from the short test drive I had. Anyways, as we were discussing we will do a timed run to understand how different will be the numbers.

OT: I don't want my wife to read this post and give her new ideas .
nkrishnap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 12:13   #19
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,951
Thanked: 16,659 Times
Default Re: Review & Ownership: RaceDynamics Dieseltronics Dual Channel - Punto 90HP

Quick update:

Yesterday it rained cats and dogs (and even occasional elephants too, I swear!) in Bangalore, and in midst of all this action - I had to drive to the airport to pick up my better half. When i started from home, it was all just a nice drizzle - and so I set off in P2 mode. But few minutes later - I was struggling to find roads (on a 4 lane highway), avoiding fallen barricades and wading flowing water. Totally forgot RD, P2 or whatever I had in mind earlier.

Only after I reached the airport did I realize - all this sane driving has been giving me an average of 20 kmpl (on the MID)! Return was in my usual way (Keeping to 80kmph max) and not feeling the extra power of P2 mode. Total FE for the trip as showed by MID came to 18.2 kmpl.

Makes me wonder? Is P2 as good as stock, or even P1 when it comes to FE? If, and thats a big IF, the extra power potential is not utilized? This could mean - I could just slot it into P2 and forget it. Anyways, i dont find a big difference between P1 and P2 in traffic, and P2 is better than stock - but with nice amount of reserve power as and when you need it.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 1st April 2013 at 12:15.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 12:40   #20
Distinguished - BHPian
 
nkrishnap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,493
Thanked: 4,108 Times
Default Re: Review & Ownership: RaceDynamics Dieseltronics Dual Channel - Punto 90HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Makes me wonder? Is P2 as good as stock, or even P1 when it comes to FE? If, and thats a big IF, the extra power potential is not utilized? This could mean - I could just slot it into P2 and forget it. Anyways, i dont find a big difference between P1 and P2 in traffic, and P2 is better than stock - but with nice amount of reserve power as and when you need it.
If it delivers on the mileage front well and good, but to get mileage and the P2 mode should exclusive to each other.

We shall do a timed run soon.
nkrishnap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 13:36   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
motomaverick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,838
Thanked: 864 Times
Default re: Fiat Punto with RaceDynamics DieselTronic Dual Channel. EDIT: 110 hp, 265 Nm

Congrats Crazydriver, and thanks for including my thread for your review. Let me know when you guys are doing a timed run, I can join in as well with the lazy whale By the way how much moolah did you have shell out? Also, heard that the single channel has gone down in the price department.

Last edited by motomaverick : 1st April 2013 at 13:38.
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 14:44   #22
BHPian
 
Racedynamics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 114
Thanked: 437 Times
Default Re: Review & Ownership: RaceDynamics Dieseltronics Dual Channel - Punto 90HP

Really well written review! Thank you for the feedback and kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Makes me wonder? Is P2 as good as stock, or even P1 when it comes to FE? If, and thats a big IF, the extra power potential is not utilized? This could mean - I could just slot it into P2 and forget it. Anyways, i dont find a big difference between P1 and P2 in traffic, and P2 is better than stock - but with nice amount of reserve power as and when you need it.
Yes. Fuel economy depends a lot on driving style. The added torque in P2 will help you cruise on a higher gear/lower rpm and you will see good economy figures. If you are happy with P2 in the city you can continue using it without any issues.

That said, do check economy figures for both modes and go with whichever you prefer more.

All the best!

RD
Racedynamics is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 13:17   #23
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 27
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: Review & Ownership: RaceDynamics Dieseltronics Dual Channel - Punto 90HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Quick update:

Yesterday it rained cats and dogs (and even occasional elephants too, I swear!) in Bangalore, and in midst of all this action - I had to drive to the airport to pick up my better half. When i started from home, it was all just a nice drizzle - and so I set off in P2 mode. But few minutes later - I was struggling to find roads (on a 4 lane highway), avoiding fallen barricades and wading flowing water. Totally forgot RD, P2 or whatever I had in mind earlier.

Only after I reached the airport did I realize - all this sane driving has been giving me an average of 20 kmpl (on the MID)! Return was in my usual way (Keeping to 80kmph max) and not feeling the extra power of P2 mode. Total FE for the trip as showed by MID came to 18.2 kmpl.

Makes me wonder? Is P2 as good as stock, or even P1 when it comes to FE? If, and thats a big IF, the extra power potential is not utilized? This could mean - I could just slot it into P2 and forget it. Anyways, i dont find a big difference between P1 and P2 in traffic, and P2 is better than stock - but with nice amount of reserve power as and when you need it.

The experience is well written, I would like to check with you - have you checked physical measurement - Tank full to Tank full efficiency calculation? If not I would request you to share your observations please. I am curious to see if the MID and actual numbers match.

Keep the VGT Spooling... Thanx

Ashpalio
Punto 75
Palio 1.2
ashpalio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2013, 15:31   #24
BHPian
 
Sommos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bhilai, CG.
Posts: 984
Thanked: 674 Times
Default re: Fiat Punto with RaceDynamics DieselTronic Dual Channel. EDIT: 110 hp, 265 Nm

Many thanks CD for sharing your experience in details with all.
This thread is now the official review of the dual channel RD box.
I really envy you people for the facility to visit the RD office and checking the box with the RD people on board.

Enjoy the power of the RD box and drive safe.
Sommos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2013, 16:23   #25
BHPian
 
scofield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pune
Posts: 147
Thanked: 131 Times
Default re: Fiat Punto with RaceDynamics DieselTronic Dual Channel. EDIT: 110 hp, 265 Nm

CD,

Congratulations bud !! I can very well understand how you are feeling currently and was excited the same way you are.

Let your 90 clock few miles with the chip - and after few thousands you would feel that it has become more smooth.

Coming to eating the 1.6 TDi/CRDI for breakfast and all - you are being too sarcastic .Let a so called such car zip past you on a highway and I very well know what your reaction would be to that.

So when are Karthik/Krishna planning to buy it for their steads?

I feel really happy to read your experience and may you have many happy and safe miles ahead.

Its time for a catch up but dont know when :-)
scofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013, 12:08   #26
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,951
Thanked: 16,659 Times
Default Re: Review & Ownership: RaceDynamics Dieseltronics Dual Channel - Punto 90HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
The high point of this box and the flexibility of the modes offered - Switch to E mode in B2B traffic, you can taunt the Beat Diesel / Nano driver next to you "Kitna Deti Hai?". Enter an expressway minutes later, switch to P2 mode and ask that Laura owner alongside you in the toll booth -"Got BHP?".
I'm yet to see any significant increase in mileage though it HAS NOT dropped, even in P2 - for my regular driving style. Beat diesel would be a very high ask.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eminenttismo View Post
@crazydriver, that's a sweet piece of article. Very entertaining yet informative. Thanks for my Sunday Blockbuster Thread! (I'm reading it on 31st Mar)
Thanks a lot.

Thread was taken online on Sunday only, however it reflects the date when i started composing it in the assembly line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
If it delivers on the mileage front well and good, but to get mileage and the P2 mode should exclusive to each other.
Apparently - it doesn't seem so!

Have covered almost 200 kms in P2 only now - and MID shows an average of 17.2 kmpl. Not much of a difference from stock. Anyways - I'm planning to publish info for every tankful. (Idea stolen from your thread of course!).
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013, 12:15   #27
BHPian
 
hurricanes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 40
Thanked: 17 Times
Thumbs up Re: Review & Ownership: RaceDynamics Dieseltronics Dual Channel - Punto 90HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Yesterday it rained cats and dogs (and even occasional elephants too, I swear!) in Bangalore.
Lol.. I was returning back to Hyderabad from Bangalore that day and I know it even rained Giraffe's that day.. Seriously!

Very well written review Crazy Driver. The way you have written the review (especially on the P2 mode) really makes me want to go for one as well. You really put me in a fix here, Vitamin M plays the spoil sport though. With around 38,000 Kms on the ODO, I'm still loving the stock setup in my Punto 90 HP.

The RD key looks fantastic. So how does one switch from P1 to P2. Just the click of a button? and it can be done on the move right?

I recently met rider60 in the recent Hyd - bang Mega meet and had a short discussion with him. He did say that performance has increased a lot (much much better than Pete's) and that he was getting a mileage of 13-14 Kmpl. Probably I misheard it with all the noise but getting 13-14 Kmpl is just not right. A lot depends on the driving style but still 13-14 is just too low.

Since re-maps offers much better performance over tuning boxes, I am much interested in learning how much performance he gained by going for a re-map and at what RPM does the engine comes alive and starts pulling, pulling and pulling.

Hope he reads this post and responds.
hurricanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013, 12:23   #28
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,951
Thanked: 16,659 Times
Default Re: Review & Ownership: RaceDynamics Dieseltronics Dual Channel - Punto 90HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Congrats Crazydriver, and thanks for including my thread for your review. Let me know when you guys are doing a timed run, I can join in as well with the lazy whale By the way how much moolah did you have shell out? Also, heard that the single channel has gone down in the price department.
Read a lot about your car before going for the purchase myself. I hope I wont fall to the dark side of the force (remap ) though.

MRP is 26,000 for the dual channel box, though it can be a bit negotiated at distributer level (RD is not directly involved with the sales).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racedynamics View Post
Really well written review! Thank you for the feedback and kind words.

Yes. Fuel economy depends a lot on driving style. The added torque in P2 will help you cruise on a higher gear/lower rpm and you will see good economy figures. If you are happy with P2 in the city you can continue using it without any issues.

That said, do check economy figures for both modes and go with whichever you prefer more.

All the best!

RD
Thanks RD team. I see the review has been shared on RD facebook page. Thanks for that gesture.

Will be troubling you guys most probably when i go for the dyno run!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpalio View Post
The experience is well written, I would like to check with you - have you checked physical measurement - Tank full to Tank full efficiency calculation? If not I would request you to share your observations please. I am curious to see if the MID and actual numbers match.

Keep the VGT Spooling... Thanx

Ashpalio
Punto 75
Palio 1.2
Thanks ashpalio.

No - not yet. Box is till new. I will defenitly be posting tankful to tankful FE updates from the next tankful onwards. Didn't start with the first tankful as I was over-enthusiastic with the accelerator in the initial few days.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013, 12:31   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
motomaverick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,838
Thanked: 864 Times
Default Re: Review & Ownership: RaceDynamics Dieseltronics Dual Channel - Punto 90HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Read a lot about your car before going for the purchase myself. I hope I wont fall to the dark side of the force (remap) though.
Lol don't worry eventually everyone falls to the dark side of temptation. I fell pretty quickly

May be this will add fuel to the fire, from my last fill driving the car normally without revving hard I could extract 18.1 kpl as per the MID for the last 50kms all in the city with 50% a/c

Last edited by motomaverick : 4th April 2013 at 12:32.
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013, 12:43   #30
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,268
Thanked: 1,233 Times
Default re: Fiat Punto with RaceDynamics DieselTronic Dual Channel. EDIT: 110 hp, 265 Nm

Nice and comprehensive report. Thanks for posting.

Is it true that post-installation, the car emits more smoke? I heard this from a member who owns a Vista.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chevrolet Beat TCDi on steroids - DieselTronic dual channel box! rahuldevnath Modifications & Accessories 2 20th October 2014 14:11
Tested the Dieseltronic Dual Channel Box on my Linea 1.3 MJD Mindgrinder Modifications & Accessories 14 5th March 2014 01:00
JBL 608GTi or ID CTX65CS or Rainbow CSX 265 DREAM or Rainbow SLC 265 KICK panky12345 In-Car Entertainment 52 12th November 2011 01:32


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:43.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks