Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


View Poll Results: Will you install one to your car if it is not present in the car?
Yes, I will 12 85.71%
No, I won't 2 14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2013, 13:17   #1
BHPian
 
Achyuth Vaibhav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vellore(TN,Ind)
Posts: 374
Thanked: 207 Times
Default Cladding on the inside of the Boot

Manufacturers like Fiat give a thick cladding to the inner section of the boot. Some manufacturers like Honda removed this thing from the boot lid of the Amaze. Now my car also does not have it. I feel it is vital as it can protect the wires from getting out from the section and prevent rattles. Can we source this thing at the aftermarket level? Would you buy one?

Cheers,

Achyuth
Achyuth Vaibhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2013, 14:51   #2
Distinguished - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 3,247
Thanked: 4,920 Times
Default re: Cladding on the inside of the Boot

Firstly, all the wires in the car will be well secured and harnessed to a proper mounting point so you needn't worry about wires getting out.

Coming to rattles etc, again I personally feel that it is more to do with loose dangling parts or bad quality of panels that do not fit well. The cladding is given mainly for noise insulation as well as for the purpose of hiding the metal beneath. Some manufacturers provide carpeting material, but a thicker variant while others provide rigid panelling with the fabric finish same as the carpet. The former is easy to use and hence a custom job will be possible. For example, I replaced the hood silencer of my SX4 as rats had eaten a small portion of it. I used the old one to create custom cladding for the bootlid, which was naked. However, the bootlid already had holes drilled from factory with which I used plastic clips to secure the cladding. Near OE work it looks like. Except that the bootlid looks better from the inside, I found no other use from it.
audioholic is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2013, 15:01   #3
BHPian
 
Achyuth Vaibhav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vellore(TN,Ind)
Posts: 374
Thanked: 207 Times
Default re: Cladding on the inside of the Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Firstly, all the wires in the car will be well secured and harnessed to a proper mounting point so you needn't worry about wires getting out.

Coming to rattles etc....
Hi audioholic, I have a question: Can I also buy one for the bonnet separately? Also is the carpet like material effective or is the plastic one more effective?

Cheers,

Achyuth

Last edited by Achyuth Vaibhav : 13th July 2013 at 15:02.
Achyuth Vaibhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2013, 22:28   #4
Distinguished - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 3,247
Thanked: 4,920 Times
Default re: Cladding on the inside of the Boot

Frankly speaking, try to be specific in what your requirement is. Most cars do have some sort of insulation under the bonnet. That depends upon the need and also attention to the finer aspects given by the manufacturer. Unless the required part is tailor made for the car considered for application, it is not a good idea to experiment with adding such things in the bonnet in specific, as it is a critical area whereas places like the boot lid can take some DIY. Making such Jugaads for the bonnet may hamper what the designers had in mind, right from clearances to heat dissipation to airflow, which can be observed in some cars which have an air channel under the bonnet skin.

Regarding effectiveness, etc I am no expert and I only decude based on common sense and practicality.
audioholic is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2013, 01:05   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
agambhandari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Delhi,Ludhiana
Posts: 1,182
Thanked: 900 Times
Default re: Cladding on the inside of the Boot

You don't really need it, and Honda hasn't "removed" it from Amaze.

I had the 2nd Gen Honda City for over 7 years, no lining on it, no damage done even after all this time.

You don't need to tinker with these things, putting a new lining may end up overheating some components, if not fit correctly, don't knowwhat sort of problems it could end up giving.
agambhandari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2013, 04:08   #6
BHPian
 
jayded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TVM, HYD
Posts: 535
Thanked: 455 Times
Default re: Cladding on the inside of the Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
You don't really need it, and Honda hasn't "removed" it from Amaze.

You don't need to tinker with these things, putting a new lining may end up overheating some components, if not fit correctly, don't knowwhat sort of problems it could end up giving.
He is talking about the cladding (the absence of it!) on the boot lid which is lacking from Amaze. So yes, Honda "has" removed/omitted it in the name of cost cutting. It's a very ugly sight to look at the open boot of an Amaze with the wires/mechanicals dangling around.

And with just insulated wiring and locking mechanisms in there, there is nothing to "overheat".
jayded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2013, 10:13   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
agambhandari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Delhi,Ludhiana
Posts: 1,182
Thanked: 900 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post

He is talking about the cladding (the absence of it!) on the boot lid which is lacking from Amaze. So yes, Honda "has" removed/omitted it in the name of cost cutting. It's a very ugly sight to look at the open boot of an Amaze with the wires/mechanicals dangling around.

And with just insulated wiring and locking mechanisms in there, there is nothing to "overheat".
I know what he is talking about. I am saying is that it is not particularly a cost cutting measure, even the 2nd gen Honda City came without it. And it wasn't a cut price car. It worked pretty well, didn't pose any problem in all the time I had the car.
Wires can also end up overheating, just about any component can, if you interfere with the arrangements yourself.
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2013, 13:23   #8
BHPian
 
jayded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TVM, HYD
Posts: 535
Thanked: 455 Times
Default re: Cladding on the inside of the Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
I know what he is talking about. I am saying is that it is not particularly a cost cutting measure, even the 2nd gen Honda City came without it. And it wasn't a cut price car. It worked pretty well, didn't pose any problem in all the time I had the car.
Wires can also end up overheating, just about any component can, if you interfere with the arrangements yourself.
Does the fact that your 7 year old 2nd gen Honda city came without a bootlid cladding imply that it is not a cost cutting measure on the Amaze? Honda has always been known to, until recently, charge a premium for their badge. So a high priced car 7 yrs back doesn't mean you got a high-class finished product. To avoid a boot lid plastic cladding IS a cost cutting method or a design in very poor taste.

And FYI, yeah, a wire can overheat in case of an electrical problem or a loose connection, not just because you are putting it in a covered space without altering anything else.
jayded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2013, 13:30   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
agambhandari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Delhi,Ludhiana
Posts: 1,182
Thanked: 900 Times
Default re: Cladding on the inside of the Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Does the fact that your 7 year old 2nd gen Honda city came without a bootlid cladding imply that it is not a cost cutting measure on the Amaze? Honda has always been known to, until recently, charge a premium for their badge. So a high priced car 7 yrs back doesn't mean you got a high-class finished product. To avoid a boot lid plastic cladding IS a cost cutting method or a design in very poor taste.

And FYI, yeah, a wire can overheat in case of an electrical problem or a loose connection, not just because you are putting it in a covered space without altering anything else.
The fact that there weren't any usual/blatant cost cutting measures in the car, imply that not having the cladding is a usual thing, not just a way to save costs.
Putting a cladding could also interfere with the arrangement of the wires underneath, may lead to loose connection, and what not.
Manufacturers spend Millions testing every single thing. What has been given in the car probably works best. If it gives an obvious benefit, it would be available as an accessory. If there is no sign from the maker, about it, I would suggest OP to not make such a Modification to the car.
agambhandari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2013, 13:52   #10
BHPian
 
jayded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TVM, HYD
Posts: 535
Thanked: 455 Times
Default re: Cladding on the inside of the Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
The fact that there weren't any usual/blatant cost cutting measures in the car, imply that not having the cladding is a usual thing, not just a way to save costs.
I do not know how to respond to this, but just understand that as long as they are not doing us a favor by removing something from the car, there is nothing "usual" about it.

Quote:
Putting a cladding could also interfere with the arrangement of the wires underneath, may lead to loose connection, and what not.
Here we are not talking about squishing the wires inside the boot lid. The wires apparently are inside the metal frame and the idea is to just cover it up like other cars do, to give it a cleaner look rather than the unfinished look.


Quote:
Manufacturers spend Millions testing every single thing. What has been given in the car probably works best.
Really? Then why do we even have a category called "accessory" as mentioned by you? Manufacturers spend millions on R&D. They also pay millions to their thinktanks to make marketing and profit-making decisions. So all tried and tested stuff do not go into your car.

Quote:
If it gives an obvious benefit, it would be available as an accessory.
What benefits do spoilers, chrome linings, body colored bumpers etc. have? Some things are chosen for aesthetics and not for the usefulness they bring home.
jayded is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2013, 14:34   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
agambhandari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Delhi,Ludhiana
Posts: 1,182
Thanked: 900 Times
Default re: Cladding on the inside of the Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Really? Then why do we even have a category called "accessory" as mentioned by you? Manufacturers spend millions on R&D. They also pay millions to their thinktanks to make marketing and profit-making decisions. So all tried and tested stuff do not go into your car.
Now, I am only going to respond to this point, because I believe it is ponitless to discuss the others.

The car as it is from manufacturer works well, and the best it can in the price it costs. If there is something better available,the company would sell it to you, but of course it will cost more.
agambhandari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2013, 15:15   #12
BHPian
 
jayded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TVM, HYD
Posts: 535
Thanked: 455 Times
Default re: Cladding on the inside of the Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
The car as it is from manufacturer works well, and the best it can in the price it costs.
You can't be more wrong here. But then I wouldn't want to take it more OT than is actually has become! It would be better if we do not blow trivial things out of proportion and make it look complex.

Peace out, and have a great weekend!
jayded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 20:23   #13
BHPian
 
Achyuth Vaibhav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vellore(TN,Ind)
Posts: 374
Thanked: 207 Times
Default Re: Cladding on the inside of the Boot

This is what I am referring to. Honda Amaze has it's wires dangling out of the contours in the boot.
The Amaze's boot is highly vulnerable to bags that are high and that can crush the bootlid.

Cheers,

Achyuth


Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd July 2013 at 18:09. Reason: Using smaller image
Achyuth Vaibhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 20:46   #14
Distinguished - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 3,247
Thanked: 4,920 Times
Default Re: Cladding on the inside of the Boot

As seen in the picture, its nowhere "dangling" out. It has been carefully clipped onto the frame of the bootlid. Also, we can observe that wherever appropriate a foam sheath is provided, and the entire cabling is protected by a flexible plastic casing. From this, we can conclude that:

1. The wires have adequate protection.
2. Presence of additional cladding is not needed just for protecting these cables. They can withstand a lot of abuse in this state.
3. Unless you have very heavy luggage or a moveable metal mass, I dont understand how it can crush the bootlid.
audioholic is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 21:29   #15
BHPian
 
invincible7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Delhi NCR
Posts: 643
Thanked: 131 Times
Default Re: Cladding on the inside of the Boot

Arey baba simple solution to this, get it damped will help in controlling resonance to the body aswell, its simple to apply the damping sheets and will look good aswell if you ask me.
invincible7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Purpose of Wheel Cladding? D'Artagnan Technical Stuff 4 19th January 2015 13:27
Scorpio Query - SLE black with grey cladding? Randhawa SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 16 10th September 2009 11:12
Boot light wiring clarification. supremeBaleno Technical Stuff 48 24th July 2008 12:07
Cladding for Tata Safari? tsk1979 Modifications & Accessories 60 23rd May 2007 06:04


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:51.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks