Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 5th August 2013, 15:04   #16
BHPian

A couple of pics which I clicked just now showing the fuel indicator and the gas cylinder.
As you can see the boot is non existent now.
Attached Images

StrangeWizard is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013, 22:28   #17
BHPian

Default re: Converted my Chevrolet Spark to CNG!

Its been around 9 days since I got the conversion done and I've already completed 500 kms on CNG. Earlier it used to take me atleast a month to cover these many kms!

Spent close to 1100 on fuel so running costs are approx Rs. 2.20 per km which I think is pretty good since I'm saving more than 5 bucks per km.

The car is running on the 4th tankful right now and covered 120kms on this with 1 green light(driven 35kms on this) and 1 reserve light still remaining. I guess I would be able to do atleast 150-160 kms on this tank. All the lights go off after 30-35 kms each except the first one.

Also, I'm sorry for not uploading proper pics of the new parts in the engine bay. I did click the pics a couple of days back in my camera but my laptop doesn't seem to be able to recognize that card now. Will try and click new pics in another card tomorrow and upload here.

Last edited by StrangeWizard : 9th August 2013 at 22:30.
StrangeWizard is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2013, 12:55   #18
BHPian

Default Re: Converted my Chevrolet Spark to CNG!

Finally here are the pics. I'm able to do around 130kms on a tankful. Last time when my car went on reserve, I could drive only 8 kms and after that the petrol light came up. Also when I put the switch in the "middle" i.e. between petrol and CNG it shows 1 green light extra than the no. of lights it shows on CNG mode. Anyone knows what this means?

CNG Fuel Indicator:
Converted my Chevrolet Spark to CNG!-dscf47762.jpg
Converted my Chevrolet Spark to CNG!-dscf47782.jpg

Gas Filling Valve:
Converted my Chevrolet Spark to CNG!-dscf47802.jpg

Gas Pressure Meter:
Converted my Chevrolet Spark to CNG!-dscf47812.jpg

Lambda Emulator:
Converted my Chevrolet Spark to CNG!-dscf47842.jpg

Engine Bay:
Converted my Chevrolet Spark to CNG!-dscf47852.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post

Last edited by StrangeWizard : 14th August 2013 at 13:01.
StrangeWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 16:43   #19
BHPian

Completed almost 1000kms on CNG in the past 20 days.
Also got the RTO passing done today. It was a 5 min job but took close to 1.5 hrs. Will be getting my CNG plate tomorrow.

No issues with the car as such.

Btw, had a small accident last weekend where I was taking a 90 deg turn and tried to avoid a fast rickshaw and therefore ended up driving both the right wheels on the divider during the turn. There were two loud THAK THAK sounds and the area below the front door got a dent.
Old 21st August 2013, 17:07   #20
BHPian

One things I will suggest you is ensure you have apt amout of petrol in your petrol tank as normally once the CNG is installed one forget about filling up petrol in good measures which results in corrosion of the tank. One of my friend experienced this with his baleno and the baleno tank is costly.
invincible7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 17:35   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
One things I will suggest you is ensure you have apt amout of petrol in your petrol tank as normally once the CNG is installed one forget about filling up petrol in good measures which results in corrosion of the tank. One of my friend experienced this with his baleno and the baleno tank is costly.
Building on above, the car should be driven on the petrol fuel at times, so as to clean the injectors and not to forget that petrol can & does get stale. Hence, it loses burning capabilities (comparatively) over time. Use it in a smart way.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 22:09   #22
BHPian

Yes guys I have kept petrol worth 1000 bucks in the tank. Didn't keep the tank full because that would take a really long time to finish and the petrol might get stale or spoilt by that time.

I run my car on petrol a couple of kms every alternate day.
StrangeWizard is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2013, 20:34   #23
BHPian

Guys I'm facing a small issue these days. If I'm driving in stop-go traffic without AC then if I brake to a halt or shift to 1st the car stalls.
After that it takes 2-3 attempts to start the car. It never happens if the AC is on.
Any idea what could be the issue?
Happens atleast once everyday whenever I'm in traffic and once it happened on an empty road when I came to a halt on a signal.

Also if I give the car for servicing at the A.S.S then do I need to re-tune the kit after cleaning/replacing the air filter?
Completed 1800kms btw.
Old 16th September 2013, 22:25   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Guys I'm facing a small issue these days. If I'm driving in stop-go traffic without AC then if I brake to a halt or shift to 1st the car stalls.
After that it takes 2-3 attempts to start the car. It never happens if the AC is on.
Happens atleast once everyday whenever I'm in traffic and once it happened on an empty road when I came to a halt on a signal.

Also if I give the car for servicing at the A.S.S then do I need to re-tune the kit after cleaning/replacing the air filter?
Completed 1800kms btw.
Without AC: Coolant relatively cold
With AC: Coolant relatively hot,

And since Coolant is used to warm up the CNG coming through the lines at some point in the line(In some circular device)... I suspect cold fuel entering the cylinders is the issue, not sure though.

Why don't you just get it checked from the workshop you got it fit? I understand it is VERY annoying to have a car stall in 1st gear.
Eminenttismo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2013, 13:34   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Completed 1800kms btw.
It could be 15 minutes job at the CNG installer's place. Try out that first & you won't be running places IMO.

Also, after service you need to get the CNG settings checked & corrected every time.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2013, 20:02   #26
BHPian

UPDATE-
Completed around 4,000 kms on CNG. Usually a full tank last anywhere between 100-130 kms. Managed to extract 170 kms on a long drive but that included some traffic too.

Running cost per km is around 2.5-2.7 so taking an average of 2.6, I have spent around Rs 10,400 on CNG for 4,000 kms in 4 months. Also add, 1000-1500 bucks worth of petrol.
If I was running the car on petrol at an average cost of 7.8 (mileage of 10km/l) per km, I would have spent Rs 31,200 on fuel!
Net savings of around Rs 19,000 until now. Guess I'll break even the conversion cost soon.

Last week faced an irritating problem. Early mornings the car would run fine on CNG but later in the day it would run a couple of kms and then convert automatically to petrol and no amount of revving or re-starting the engine would solve this. Observed for a couple of days and then took it to the conversion centre.
The guy replaced some wires which provide the gas to the engine and now everything's running properly.
Old 23rd October 2014, 07:28   #27

How is the experience so far? Am also thinking of converting my spark to CNG. It is a 2009 model and has done only around 34K. perfect condition so far. Do not drive it much as it is always very thirsty for petrol. Gives me a mileage of around 11-12 with AC on in city, in Delhi.
rakeshmunjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2014, 00:12   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Engine Bay:
Attachment 1125148
I just came across this picture and i would like to point out that this is not a safe installation. The high pressure pipeline has to as far away from the exhaust manifold as possible. The pipeline and the natural gas manometer are located in the area of the engine bay very close to the crumple zone, in case of a head to head collision, this would result in the pipeline fracturing.The correct practice is to mount everything on the firewall as far away from the front of the car as possible.
HimuraKenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2014, 20:34   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakeshmunjal View Post
How is the experience so far? Am also thinking of converting my spark to CNG. It is a 2009 model and has done only around 34K. perfect condition so far. Do not drive it much as it is always very thirsty for petrol. Gives me a mileage of around 11-12 with AC on in city, in Delhi.
Completed 11,000 kms on CNG in May and then exchanged the Spark for a Beat which too has been converted to CNG.

The Beat has done approx 5000 kms on gas within 3 months and overall 7000 kms in 5 months of ownership
Old 30th October 2014, 15:41   #30
kkg
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimuraKenshin View Post
I just came across this picture and i would like to point out that this is not a safe installation. The high pressure pipeline has to as far away from the exhaust manifold as possible. The pipeline and the natural gas manometer are located in the area of the engine bay very close to the crumple zone, in case of a head to head collision, this would result in the pipeline fracturing.The correct practice is to mount everything on the firewall as far away from the front of the car as possible.

You are right for your concern but unfortunately, the Spark's engine bay has literally no space at all. I recently got a sequential CNG kit fitted in my car and the installation guys cursed the car all the time for lack of space to work upon.The firewall at the end of bay does not have any free space install anything.
kkg is offline   Reply With Quote