Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2006, 23:19   #1
BHPian
 
viky_s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Nashik
Posts: 85
Thanked: 0 Times
Thumbs up Esteem performance Problem

hi guys ,
i just had my new esteem mpfi(done 500Kms only) LXi fitted with automechs free flow system (5zigen muffler from N-1) along with stock K&N filters and NGK Iridium plugs.
While coming from mumbai back to nashik i realised the car performance had degraded considerably till it reached nashik.
i think its bcz of the plugs?
getting it changed to original tomorrow and aganin gng for a test run.

please advice as to what may have gone wrong. Headers or mufflers or plugs or k&N filter...

Is the muffler in the free flow system responsible for the power or just the sound effect.

please PM or reply ASAP.

as the car is new the automech guys suggested that the free flow system will give performance after it has done 2000kms or so....
i am not blaming anyone! i am happy with the Automech work...
Jst why has the performance gone down....

regards vikram

Last edited by viky_s : 17th June 2006 at 23:20.
viky_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2006, 23:24   #2
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default

say bye bye to warranty. you could haev waited till the run-in was done atleast:(

What do you mean by degrade in performace? In pickup/acceleration ???
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2006, 23:46   #3
BHPian
 
viky_s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Nashik
Posts: 85
Thanked: 0 Times
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
say bye bye to warranty. you could haev waited till the run-in was done atleast:(

What do you mean by degrade in performace? In pickup/acceleration ???
the pick up of the car is not upto the mark!

as i said the pick up was fine when i left mumbai... as i reached nashik it decreased!

is muffler responsible for power or mainly sound!
i am not worried abt the cars warranty!
viky_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2006, 23:58   #4
BANNED
 
mclaren1885's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore (the city of modded cars) !!
Posts: 4,821
Thanked: 28 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

Firstly, i can see that the engine has hardly clocked any kms .. If u did tend to push the engine during the run there are all possibilites of the engine straining out .. I remember once it happened to my baleno after track day .. Just give it a good days rest , get her some good fuel from a reputed bunk , reset the ECU and ul see her back in the thick of action yet again ..

As ur car is almost new , the engine needs a breather every now and then .. Take it easy on the long drives ..
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2006, 00:03   #5
BHPian
 
viky_s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Nashik
Posts: 85
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
Firstly, i can see that the engine has hardly clocked any kms .. If u did tend to push the engine during the run there are all possibilites of the engine straining out .. I remember once it happened to my baleno after track day .. Just give it a good days rest , get her some good fuel from a reputed bunk , reset the ECU and ul see her back in the thick of action yet again ..

As ur car is almost new , the engine needs a breather every now and then .. Take it easy on the long drives ..
thats very true.
so what do you suggest should i replace the NGK plugs with stock ones and K&N filter also or remove the free flow?or just drive the car for around 1000Kms more...
does muffler improve performance?
viky_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2006, 00:58   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
humyum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Leicester/Mumbai
Posts: 2,306
Thanked: 2,188 Times
Default

I think that u should have waited for ATLEAST the run in period to get over before getting into the modifications part.A properly run in engine will give u years of maitaince free working and good fe too.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2006, 09:08   #7
BANNED
 
viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,769
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by viky_s
hi guys ,
i just had my new esteem mpfi(done 500Kms only) LXi fitted with automechs free flow system (5zigen muffler from N-1) along with stock K&N filters and NGK Iridium plugs.
While coming from mumbai back to nashik i realised the car performance had degraded considerably till it reached nashik.
i think its bcz of the plugs?
getting it changed to original tomorrow and aganin gng for a test run.

please advice as to what may have gone wrong. Headers or mufflers or plugs or k&N filter...

Is the muffler in the free flow system responsible for the power or just the sound effect.

please PM or reply ASAP.

as the car is new the automech guys suggested that the free flow system will give performance after it has done 2000kms or so....
i am not blaming anyone! i am happy with the Automech work...
Jst why has the performance gone down....

regards vikram

Hi,

Reset your ECM and then tell us if your problem is solved. No need to change anything. As far as the Automech telling you that the free flow will perform only after 2000kms is a load of bull. Cannot really comment on anything else till I see the car in person. Give me a buzz if you want me to check the car out for you. I know Maruti's/Suzuki's inside out.

Viper

Viper

Last edited by viper : 18th June 2006 at 09:10.
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2006, 09:48   #8
BANNED
 
revharder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 460
Thanked: 47 Times
Default

are you sure that fuel used in car was not adulterated?!

refill it fully again from some good pump and then check it once again before going for anything big!
revharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2006, 11:49   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,042
Thanked: 95 Times
Default

Just reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery for 15mins. Also please let your engine run in a bit, dont push it too much for the first 1000 kms and you will be fine.

Last edited by Psycho : 19th June 2006 at 11:50.
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2006, 14:37   #10
BHPian
 
viky_s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Nashik
Posts: 85
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

thnx viper and psycho,
i have changed my sprk plugs from NGK to stock as well as K&N filter to stock; the car has returned to its original performance (Thank GOD!!). Free flow has added some power but not what i had expected. Automech and N-1 have agreed to replace the muffler (as it emitts a buzzing sound inside the car )and also the NGK plugs.
Now should i go install the k&N stock replacement filter Yes/NO?
Does K&N stock filter deceases the low end torque?
I really appreciate the service of Automech and N-1 as they are delivering me the parts at Nashik and are also ready for refund!!!
viky_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2006, 19:33   #11
BANNED
 
viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,769
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by viky_s
thnx viper and psycho,
i have changed my sprk plugs from NGK to stock as well as K&N filter to stock; the car has returned to its original performance (Thank GOD!!). Free flow has added some power but not what i had expected. Automech and N-1 have agreed to replace the muffler (as it emitts a buzzing sound inside the car )and also the NGK plugs.
Now should i go install the k&N stock replacement filter Yes/NO?
Does K&N stock filter deceases the low end torque?
I really appreciate the service of Automech and N-1 as they are delivering me the parts at Nashik and are also ready for refund!!!

Hey,
Glad to know you got your problem sorted out. As far as K&N is concerned I would recommend the conical only.

Viper
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2006, 21:47   #12
BHPian
 
viky_s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Nashik
Posts: 85
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

hi guys,
after getting the new muffler from automech , the car is performing grt!
the free flow really kicks in after 2500rpm. the exhaust sound is pure music after 3000r.pm.
going to get the conical filter shortly!!!

vikram
viky_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2006, 03:37   #13
BANNED
 
hellspawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: noida
Posts: 1,686
Thanked: 6 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

good to hear that your car is back to normal....if you are opting for a k&n filter,go for the conical universal filter since warranty is not an issue anymore.but still wonder why u did all these mods so soon.the car has hardly done 500kms.
hellspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2006, 17:59   #14
BHPian
 
viky_s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Nashik
Posts: 85
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

hi hellspawn,
got the conical k&n filter.
Installed it myself using a simple extension pipe.
car is performing great know. the performance has improved!
car has now clocked over 1500kms!.
hey will the OCW iridium plugs improve performance(low end torque).
planning to install a external rev gauge!
viky_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2006, 18:00   #15
BHPian
 
viky_s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Nashik
Posts: 85
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

thnx viper,
took ur suggestion and installed the conical filter . it really helps!
viky_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Performance Mods for Esteem Lx 1997 model udit78 Modifications & Accessories 9 15th February 2010 08:02
Esteem fuel pump(mpfi) in esteem-carb tank techn0l0gist Technical Stuff 0 13th June 2009 22:03
76mm Honda performance pistons, baleno performance cam & NOS kit for sale. mclaren1885 Shifting gears 6 16th September 2007 14:02
Poor performance of my 2005 Oct Esteem VXi babupaul Technical Stuff 8 29th August 2006 18:11
BFGoodRich Tyres available in Mumbai? Also Best Size For Esteem for Max Performance.. Tool Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 1 4th June 2006 03:28


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:21.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks