Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 20th June 2006, 00:45   #1
BHPian

Default Mods for my 800

Hi All,

After being a lurker for some time now, here goes first post!

I have 1995 M-800 (Carb Non-AC) which I was planning to change. But, now inspired by you guys (read Edmund ) I have decided to overhaul it.

The car has run just over 100K Kms and is in a fairly decent condition. Will post some pics soon. For the first stage of the rebuild I have the following things in mind....
1) Install an AC
2) Install K&N replacement filter
3) Replace the carb (not sure about this)

Repainting and alloys are next in line (put on hold due to [FONT=&quot]budgeting constraints)[/FONT]

Do let me know your thoughts and the approx cost for these. Also pointers to some good place to get this done in bangalore...

BTW should I go for a new AC or a used one? Some of my friends have suggested that the ac from an old contessa (if I am able to find one) would do the job. I am confused.

Guys! Keep Up the Great Work

Cheers,
Jag

Last edited by Jaguar : 20th June 2006 at 00:50.
Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2006, 01:37   #2
BHPian

dude im kinda proud of you man trying to get a 11 year old car into place i dunno any place in bangalore but yeah get a seconds ac if possible and i'll let you know if I can find someone in bangalore for the job..cheers
nitroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2006, 05:09   #3
fb1
BHPian

dude im impressed with ur loyalty to ur car.. anyways I suggest you get some nice 13" rims... and change ur headlights to something like crystal vision or something... no offence but I dont think u should try performance mods on your car... let it be the way it is... just change the looks a bit if u want.. I dont think K&N will make such a diff ... jus stick with ur stock car with some nice alloys and tyres... cya
fb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2006, 09:30   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Jag, nice plans you've got for your car, do keep us posted.

Go for a new AC if you can afford it, otherwise get a used one. Check in Gujli for the same. You might be able to use the Contessa AC but the compressor might be too big for the 800cc engine.

Go for a K&N conical setup if you have the budget, otherwise i say stick to the stock paper filter till you get the car done - repainting, alloys, tyres etc

Why do you want to change the carb? Would you let us know what is wrong with your carb?
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2006, 20:09   #5
BHPian

Thanks for the encouragement guys!

@fb1: I am not planning any performance upgrades. That's y the replacement filter instead of the conical one.

@Sankar: This must have answered your query abt the conical filter. BTW who is the Gujli that u are talking abt? Do u have his contacts?
Old 20th June 2006, 20:28   #6
BHPian

Oh guys, do give suggestions on which AC I should opt for? What is the max the engine would be able to handle?

Last edited by Jaguar : 20th June 2006 at 20:31.
Old 20th June 2006, 20:57   #7
BHPian

How about opting for a used 800's AC if you can find one? That way, you can be assured that your engine can handle the strain, as it is the same AC being run on 800's all around!

P.S. Is your nick supposed to be a more creative way of describe plagiarising not caught? Lol... just a caution... stuff like that is STRICTLY prohibited on our forum. People have been banned for doing indulging in it! Funny nick none the less.

Godspeed.

Alok
ghostrider4385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2006, 21:35   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

@ Jag: Gujli is the place in Shivajinagar where you can get used parts for your car. You'll get both legitimate and illegitimate stuff there. If going there prepare to bargain a lot and take somone who knows how to select the part you want to buy.

But still why do you want to change your carb?

Try to get a 800's AC it will suit the engine, but cooling is not that great. I don't know the compressor size of the 800's ac. But if you want a little more cooling get a compressor that is slightly larger than the 800's...Zen, Alto...?

Quote:
P.S. Is your nick supposed to be a more creative way of describe plagiarising not caught? Lol... just a caution... stuff like that is STRICTLY prohibited on our forum. People have been banned for doing indulging in it! Funny nick none the less.
Dint quite get you? What's wrong with his nick?
Old 20th June 2006, 21:36   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider4385
Godspeed.
Alok
I do not support plagiarism. BTW this is is a quote by Einstein.
Old 20th June 2006, 23:32   #10
BHPian

I'm honoured that you draw your inspiration from me to spruce up your ride!!!!

Your plans are nice and simple, a good set of wheels and tires are a must, however go in for 13"ers as the 800's wheel arches can take the upsize!!!

If you're an 'interior' person [ i am not, my ride's interior is kinda sad, but im working on it!!!!!] throw some money there, get your seats re-upholstered in art leather or something get new carpeting, cover your dashboard, ICE it up a bit....etc....!!!

As for the exteriors, don't even attempt the 'ricer' look, keep it simple and you'll have a star car!!!
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2006, 23:52   #11
BHPian

Oye boys! I don't have anything against the nick! I think the way plagiarism was described by Einstein was creative. That was why I added the LOL after the sentence. And all I did was tell Jaguar that plagiarism is strictly frowned upon in this forum, as we have had basketcases doing it before, that's all... so peace boys!

And as Sankar suggested, the alto AC would be a good bet too, considering, it falls under the 800's engine class.

Don't think of converting a carb to an mpfi. It involves changing a lot of other things! It would work out cheaper to buy an mpfi car than to convert a carb into an mpfi the way I see it!

Godspeed.

Alok
ghostrider4385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2006, 08:46   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund
If you're an 'interior' person [ i am not, my ride's interior is kinda sad, but im working on it!!!!!] throw some money there, get your seats re-upholstered in art leather or something get new carpeting, cover your dashboard, ICE it up a bit....etc....!!!
Edmund, I have already re-upholstered the seats and carpeted. Will post the pics soon. As far as covering up the dashboard is concerned, its somethig I never thought of. Will defanitely think of something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider4385
Don't think of converting a carb to an mpfi. It involves changing a lot of other things! It would work out cheaper to buy an mpfi car than to convert a carb into an mpfi the way I see it!
I am not converting carb to mpfi. I just plan to replace the old carb with a new one. May b just overhauling the old carb would do. Would talk to my mech abt it.

@Sankar! Yes I would prefer an alto or zen ac instead of an 800 one. Do let me know if you come across any of those.
Old 24th June 2006, 00:35   #13
BHPian

Hi guys,
Checked the price of some used ACs. The person was quoting 14k for a used 800 ac, whereas the new one costs ~20k. So inclined towards the new one. Do you guys think the old one is worth this much?

Also, I would most probably take the car to cochin in a couple of months time. Which place is good for mods in terms of cost? Cochin or bangalore?

Last edited by Jaguar : 24th June 2006 at 00:41.
Old 24th June 2006, 01:59   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar
Hi guys,
Checked the price of some used ACs. The person was quoting 14k for a used 800 ac, whereas the new one costs ~20k. So inclined towards the new one.
If the new one comes with a warranty, does'nt it make sense to get a new one?
Can't you get this done at just any authourized Maruti dealer in B'lore?

I need to get a new ac for my 97 800, I am very interested in knowing what you end up doing, keep us updated.
prasadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2006, 09:59   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar
Hi guys,
Checked the price of some used ACs. The person was quoting 14k for a used 800 ac, whereas the new one costs ~20k. So inclined towards the new one. Do you guys think the old one is worth this much?

Also, I would most probably take the car to cochin in a couple of months time. Which place is good for mods in terms of cost? Cochin or bangalore?

What's the condition of the used one? If the used one is in good condition and if you could get the price down to 11k to 12k it'll be a better alternative. Once my mech quoted 11k for an ac in good condition. But still 6k makes a difference if the used one is in good nick.

If you're going to get it done in MASS then it's going to be an expensive affair. Try to find a good garage and get it done there. If you're willing to pay much i'd say buy the new ac and get it done at MASS.

I think it would be cheaper in Cochin. Anyways check out the cost before you decide - use the phone.