Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 29th November 2013, 22:05   #31
BHPian

Default Re: BMW 3 Series (F30) - Suspension Upgrade

If M-Sport is the same as Sportline, why is your dealer offering to retrofit the M-Sport suspension for you? Unless you're buying a luxury or base, it makes no sense.

I'm not sure of the NA spec F30 but in Canada and the UK, M sport/sport suspension is a paid option on the sportline. Maybe we didn't get it either?

Edit: I checked my VIN, it doesn't have the sport suspension listed either.

Last edited by fre2bpowerless : 29th November 2013 at 22:22.
fre2bpowerless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2013, 22:57   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fre2bpowerless View Post
If M-Sport is the same as Sportline, why is your dealer offering to retrofit the M-Sport suspension for you? Unless you're buying a luxury or base, it makes no sense.

I'm not sure of the NA spec F30 but in Canada and the UK, M sport/sport suspension is a paid option on the sportline. Maybe we didn't get it either?

Edit: I checked my VIN, it doesn't have the sport suspension listed either.
What I meant was that the M-Sport 'suspension' and the Sport Line suspension of the US spec F30s are same. If you check out the links that has been attached with my last post you will find that it's true. I wasn't referring to the scenario of our country where be it the base line or the sport or luxury the standard base suspension is offered with the poor road package. Akshay and myself were discussing about importing the sport line dampers and springs of the EU/US spec F30 hence I pointed out that the M-Sport suspension is same as the Sport Line suspension in the US.
AdiSinghV12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2013, 04:15   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
What I meant was that the M-Sport 'suspension' and the Sport Line suspension of the US spec F30s are same. If you check out the links that has been attached with my last post you will find that it's true. I wasn't referring to the scenario of our country where be it the base line or the sport or luxury the standard base suspension is offered with the poor road package. Akshay and myself were discussing about importing the sport line dampers and springs of the EU/US spec F30 hence I pointed out that the M-Sport suspension is same as the Sport Line suspension in the US.
Oh, missed that. There is something BMW offers as the 'M-Sport Suspension retrofit', here's the part number for it - 33502320980. It's got 320d listed in the application guide.

By the way, is there an adapter at the front axles as well? I couldn't find it when I searched, 'cept for the adapter are the part numbers same (struts/springs) for vehicles not equipped with the poor road package? I think all it does is increase the height, true?
Old 30th November 2013, 16:11   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Oh, missed that. There is something BMW offers as the 'M-Sport Suspension retrofit', here's the part number for it - 33502320980. It's got 320d listed in the application guide.

By the way, is there an adapter at the front axles as well? I couldn't find it when I searched, 'cept for the adapter are the part numbers same (struts/springs) for vehicles not equipped with the poor road package? I think all it does is increase the height, true?
Here is a quotation I got from my dealer. Quite a lot of parts are changed.
BMW 3 Series (F30) - Suspension Upgrade-screen-shot-20131130-4.05.45-pm.png
Old 30th November 2013, 16:17   #35
BHPian

Now let me put my dilemma / scenario more clearly.

The F30 that I'll be getting has a stock ground clearance of 158mm. The suspension that our Indian spec F30s get is the base suspension with the 'poor road package'. This, is much higher than EU/US spec base/standard suspension F30s which I reckon has a height of 140mm.

The M-Sport suspension according to the catalogue gives a 10mm drop over the 'standard suspension'.

The main question is if I get the M-Sport suspension, will it be 158mm minus 10mm for me or will the drop be according to the standard height of the EU/US spec suspension (140mm-10mm) ?

How exactly will my car change? 158mm minus 10mm OR 140mm minus 10mm?

Last edited by AdiSinghV12 : 30th November 2013 at 16:20.
Old 30th November 2013, 18:22   #36
BHPian

All that is included in the kit - look at this for info -
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=31&fg=95&hl=2

It'll be 158mm - 10 mm unless you delete the adapter.

I would have a good garage look at it and see if I could get rid of it. Speak to the garage I told you has done a suspension work on bimmers and see if they know about this adapter. Removing the adapter alone will give you a 18mm drop.

I don't see it serving any other purpose other than bumping the height, it's almost like a spacer if the diagram is anything to go by.
Old 30th November 2013, 18:38   #37
BHPian

Quote:
All that is included in the kit - look at this for info -
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=31&fg=95&hl=2

It'll be 158mm - 10 mm unless you delete the adapter.

I would have a good garage look at it and see if I could get rid of it. Speak to the garage I told you has done a suspension work on bimmers and see if they know about this adapter. Removing the adapter alone will give you a 18mm drop.

I don't see it serving any other purpose other than bumping the height, it's almost like a spacer if the diagram is anything to go by.
Well well well, if it's 158mm - 10mm it would be a sheer waste... Will buzz him tomorrow and talk it out. I guess it's the adapter that's responsible for the 18mm height increase over the standard 140mm height!? Please send me the diagram. This is certainly a great find. Thanks for the info!
Old 30th November 2013, 20:09   #38
BHPian

This is what i'm trying to tell you. The part number for the upper and lower spring pad is the same without the 'poor road pack' so the adapter is just acting as a spacer.

You could try removing the adapter and driving around for a few days to see if the look and ride works for you, if not there is always the msport/mperf and coilover route.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 3 Series (F30) - Suspension Upgrade-screen-shot-20131130-4.15.51-am.png  

fre2bpowerless is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2013, 01:39   #39
BHPian

The final update;

I have finally decided that I'll go for the M-Sport Suspension. The regular Indian car has 158mm ground clearance and the M-Sport Suspension will lower it by 28mm giving it a perfect height for our roads along with better handling. Special Thanks and big up to fre2bpowerless for convincing me not to get the coilovers and go for this instead. Costing me 1.92L + installation.

Here's a couple of pics of the F30 on M-Sport Suspension;
BMW 3 Series (F30) - Suspension Upgrade-i-2.jpg

Name:  i 4  Copy.jpg
Views: 3175
Size:  192.2 KB
Old 11th December 2013, 01:41   #40
BHPian

BTW, the concerned person with whom I'm dealing at the moment says the stock suspension costs 40,000 ONLY and he will give me a rebate after 20% depreciation on the price. Is it really 40 grands for a BMW suspension? :O
Old 11th December 2013, 11:27   #41
BHPian

Quote:
BTW, the concerned person with whom I'm dealing at the moment says the stock suspension costs 40,000 ONLY and he will give me a rebate after 20% depreciation on the price. Is it really 40 grands for a BMW suspension? :O
The standard India-spec F30 suspension costs way more than that. Roughly 1.4L, give or take.
coloneljasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2013, 12:11   #42

They might have only added a spacer in the original suspension to increase the ride height to 158 mm from 140 mm. The spacer may will be on top of the top mount. Get this checked and if it is there just removing that will give you the ride height that you want.
I am giving you this suggestion because when I had to change the top mount in my earlier car,which was a BMW 325i I found a spacer on the top mount.By the way my suspension work was done at an independent garage in Chennai.
dr.ashoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2013, 23:04   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloneljasi View Post
The standard India-spec F30 suspension costs way more than that. Roughly 1.4L, give or take.
After a good amount of negotiation, they offered me to 40k for the stock suspension. No other dealer had the M-Sport suspension that I was looking for and my purchase has been already delayed a lot hence I have almost finalized on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.ashoka View Post
They might have only added a spacer in the original suspension to increase the ride height to 158 mm from 140 mm. The spacer may will be on top of the top mount. Get this checked and if it is there just removing that will give you the ride height that you want.
I am giving you this suggestion because when I had to change the top mount in my earlier car,which was a BMW 325i I found a spacer on the top mount.By the way my suspension work was done at an independent garage in Chennai.
I don't think that the spacer/adapter will be there in the M-Sport suspension. If there is I too would be removing it right after the delivery!
Old 25th December 2014, 08:25   #44
BHPian

Quote:
The final update;

I have finally decided that I'll go for the M-Sport Suspension. The regular Indian car has 158mm ground clearance and the M-Sport Suspension will lower it by 28mm giving it a perfect height for our roads along with better handling. Special Thanks and big up to fre2bpowerless for convincing me not to get the coilovers and go for this instead. Costing me 1.92L + installation.

Here's a couple of pics of the F30 on M-Sport Suspension;
Attachment 1176966

Attachment 1176967
Bro so what was the final outcome, you installed m sport suspension. Which dealer helped you import this. I was just ordering kw street comfortline full coil over kit and came across this thread. Can you shed some light after m sport like height, handling etc.
thanks
The Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2014, 16:28   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Bro so what was the final outcome, you installed m sport suspension. Which dealer helped you import this. I was just ordering kw street comfortline full coil over kit and came across this thread. Can you shed some light after m sport like height, handling etc.
thanks
Hey bro, I did upgrade the suspension but since I had 19" wheels plans as well I settled for something in the middle. I got the EU spec shocks and front M Sport anti roll sway bars... The result is ride height being slightly lower (around 15-17mm than standard) and a tad less body roll thanks to the new anti roll bars. Here's how the current stance looks like...
BMW 3 Series (F30) - Suspension Upgrade-1111.jpg

BMW 3 Series (F30) - Suspension Upgrade-_mg_8086.jpg
There's still a small wheel gap but I have a set of 19" rims coming from the US and I'll be putting in 245/40/19 square tires hence the overall diameter will be increased by about 2.86% so I'm expecting the gap to reduce further.

All the suspension parts were sourced by Navnit Motors, Mumbai. I gave them the part number and they arranged it for me. The work done by them was top notch. Let me know if you want the part numbers and the contact @ Navnit. Cheers!