Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 6th August 2013, 10:35   #376
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Buying & Using a Pressure Washer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
There should be a low pressure option. On my Bosch it is an adjustable wand which opens up to a fan shape, and that is suitable for car wash.
Which model is it? Where did you buy it from? What was the cost?
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2013, 10:52   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Bosch aquatak 100 plus model has that. As well as Karcher 3.550 and above.

You can get them both on snapdeal. Bosch for 9899, Karcher for 16149 (advantage of Karcher being able to suck water from bucket) which the bosch is not able to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M124 View Post
Guys, anybody having bought a foam lance from U.S.A kindly share the price. PETE'S website has a foam lance from MTM costing 18800rs
Lol the MTM foam lance costs about 119$ on any online website. Petes website also has a pressure sprayer costing 8800rs which ordinarily costs 300 bucks :P

What sort of foam lance are you looking for? You wont get much improvement with foam, unless you have a high powered machine. Not the basic pressure washer models. Im facing the same issue currently. So Id suggest go with the normal foam nozzle of karcher or any other pressure washer machine you have. And use a high foaming shampoo like Megs Hyperwash. That will be enough foam to satisfy most DIY needs.

The foam lances need to be maintained regularly and also a bit unreliable - from my experience of having one. So Id suggest not to take the trouble for that.

Which pressure washer do you have?

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 6th August 2013 at 10:58.
Parthasarathig is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2013, 11:19   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
All,
What shampoo do you guys use for foam wash?

Thanks

The one easily available is Megs Hyper wash. Partha here uses it. Maybe he will be able to explain better

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 6th August 2013 at 11:21.
sagarpadaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2013, 12:56   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
All,
What shampoo do you guys use for foam wash?

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
The one easily available is Megs Hyper wash. Partha here uses it. Maybe he will be able to explain better
Sagar is correct. I use the Hyperwash. Its a versatile shampoo. Not just for foaming, it can also be used for the two bucket method as well which Im frequently putting to use.

Most of my sealants and waxes have stood up to the Hyperwash. Currently thinking of trying out other shampoos as well.

For foam nothing beats hyperwash. Here is a video
Parthasarathig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2013, 15:01   #380
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Bosch aquatak 100 plus model has that....
Spot on. That's what I have. A pressure washer that does not come with this or similar is not really suitable for use on a car.

It's been a few years now, so my answers to the other questions are probably not very useful but:

cost? Far, far more than in Europe.
Warranty? Far, far less than in Europe

Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2013, 15:41   #381
BHPian

Quote:

Spot on. That's what I have. A pressure washer that does not come with this or similar is not really suitable for use on a car.

It's been a few years now, so my answers to the other questions are probably not very useful but:

cost? Far, far more than in Europe.
Warranty? Far, far less than in Europe

ustrati
You are so right about this. It is only after listening to you repetitively that I bought with the vario lance. The dirt blaster aka roto lance, is dangerous. It peeled off my bikes sticker and also left me with a sore finger when I tried to fool around with it.

Vario lance is best for paint and automobiles in general.
Parthasarathig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2013, 16:33   #382
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry about the repetition! But thanks for making it worthwhile
Quote:
The dirt blaster aka roto lance, is dangerous. It peeled off my bikes sticker and also left me with a sore finger when I tried to fool around with it.
Even the ordinary jet is too powerful for paintwork. Contact with skin could be really dangerous.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2013, 17:33   #383
Senior - BHPian

Default Karcher or Bosch

Quote:
Even the ordinary jet is too powerful for paintwork. Contact with skin could be really dangerous.
Yours is an Indian (rather Chinese I guess) make or a European one? No quality issues I assume. How often have you been using it? How satisfactory is the cleaning if it is a month old muck? Will the additional 20bar pressure be useful in such instances if I go for the 120bar? Can the 100+ be used for continuous usage?

I'm really in split mind contemplating between an Aquatak 100 plus / 1200 plus and a Karcher 3.550. I'll have to travel 75kms if anything goes wrong with the Karcher though. But paranoid about Chinese quality. Though double the budget pinches my pocket, I was thinking of using the INR 16k washers (both the 3.550 and the 1200+) for continuous domestic uses like cleaning the veranda and garage floors, as these have an induction motor.
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2013, 17:43   #384
Distinguished - BHPian

Mine is the Bosch Aquatak Plus, as mentioned by Parthasarathig.

I may not be the best person to ask, as I am extremely lazy about cleaning my car! <Blush> I do not use the washer very regularly.

When I do use it, the pressure is fine. 1/10th would probably do. The wide-fan spray, used at a low angle to the surface, sweeps away loose dust and dirt, and pausing for a short time gets rid of bird droppings, etc. An occasional stain may require a finger-tip rub (keep jet away from flesh!)

It is also quite sufficient for removal of mud deposits under the car, in the wheel arches, etc.

What I don't like about it...

The detergent dispenser is a waste of time. I use a hand-spray bottle with diluted detergent in it.

The trigger jammed after just a few months. I haven't bothered to get it repared: I just use the unit off switch. I learnt the hard way never to let go of the lance with the trigger jammed open! Jammed open is better than jammed shut.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 6th August 2013 at 17:44.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2013, 18:05   #385
BHPian

Why not use a regular 0.25hp water motor? I doubt it'd cost >2k, connect a garden water pipe and a nozzle. Why use these all powerful pressure washers that can damage the paint?

Am I missing something?
GrammarNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2013, 21:10   #386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Why not use a regular 0.25hp water motor? I doubt it'd cost >2k, connect a garden water pipe and a nozzle. Why use these all powerful pressure washers that can damage the paint?

Am I missing something?
The ordinary tap water that you get in your basement is even more powerful than that. Then why buy a pressure washer?

It serves multiple purposes. With one item you can clean car, underbody, patio tiles, terrace and so many other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Yours is an Indian (rather Chinese I guess) make or a European one? No quality issues I assume. How often have you been using it? How satisfactory is the cleaning if it is a month old muck? Will the additional 20bar pressure be useful in such instances if I go for the 120bar? Can the 100+ be used for continuous usage?

I'm really in split mind contemplating between an Aquatak 100 plus / 1200 plus and a Karcher 3.550. I'll have to travel 75kms if anything goes wrong with the Karcher though. But paranoid about Chinese quality. Though double the budget pinches my pocket, I was thinking of using the INR 16k washers (both the 3.550 and the 1200+) for continuous domestic uses like cleaning the veranda and garage floors, as these have an induction motor.
All brands of pressure washers are available in India currently. From Bosch to Karcher, to Kranzle, Nilfisk and other British brands.

Id say go for Karcher. The foam nozzle works well, the vario lance is great and the build quality is solid. The aquatak feels like a puny machine compared to Karcher.

Plus, induction motors last long. You can run them continuously to clean tiles, bathrooms etc like I do. Also, the Karcher models are water cooled motors, so they have a longer life. Plus, the Karcher model sucks water from the bucket. So you can clean any place on earth as long as you have a power source and a bucket of water - no need for even running water. However, it will even suck out water from swimming pools, any water body.

Just get the model with 1 year warranty.
Parthasarathig is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2013, 21:43   #387
BHPian

Default Re: Karcher or Bosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post

I'm really in split mind contemplating between an Aquatak 100 plus / 1200 plus and a Karcher 3.550. .
K3.550 has induction motor compared to other karcher models & brands which should serve for a longer duration and can be used for extended useage like cleaning 2-3 cars at one go ,also the Pressure is very good compared to other models . trying getting from metro at B'lore should be lil cheaper , i got mine for 12k a year back .
rm_arjuna is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2013, 22:19   #388
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
All brands of pressure washers are available in India currently. From Bosch to Karcher, to Kranzle, Nilfisk and other British brands.
I didn't know there were any British manufacturers! Turns out Kranzle is British, the others are German and Danish[?]

And I if I were buying today, I'd probably choose Karcher.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2013, 22:56   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Bosch aquatak 100 plus model has that. As well as Karcher 3.550 and above.

You can get them both on snapdeal. Bosch for 9899, Karcher for 16149 (advantage of Karcher being able to suck water from bucket) which the bosch is not able to.

Lol the MTM foam lance costs about 119$ on any online website. Petes website also has a pressure sprayer costing 8800rs which ordinarily costs 300 bucks :P

What sort of foam lance are you looking for? You wont get much improvement with foam, unless you have a high powered machine. Not the basic pressure washer models. Im facing the same issue currently. So Id suggest go with the normal foam nozzle of karcher or any other pressure washer machine you have. And use a high foaming shampoo like Megs Hyperwash. That will be enough foam to satisfy most DIY needs.

The foam lances need to be maintained regularly and also a bit unreliable - from my experience of having one. So Id suggest not to take the trouble for that.

Which pressure washer do you have?

Thanx for info about foam lance.
I am planning to get karcher 3.550. Have seen videos of karcher nozzle only spraying out liquid shampoo without any foam so thought of foam lance. which pressure washer do you have and where did you source the hyperwash from?
M124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2013, 23:03   #390
Senior - BHPian

Is this a good buy?

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Karcher-2-120...ht_2100wt_1156

Been contemplating buying one. I get those deals on ICICI credit card for Bosch Aquatek too.

Help please? (@Partha boy!)
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote