Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 10th September 2014, 00:30   #646
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Buying & Using a Pressure Washer

Thad's & Adi's post provoked me to learn more & here's what I learned...
  • Using a foam wash is an expensive affair as a pressure washer is must
  • Leave the foam on the car, say like 15-20 minutes, like soaking the dirt so that it comes out easily
  • The foam softens the dirt left on & its the pressue wash that removes the dirt
  • The amount of foam depends directly depends upon the water that is being used; soft water = good results, hard water = not so good foam
  • Washing might become 2 step process, one with foam one with shampoo, but then there will be very little manual effort applied with shampoo. This is why its also sometimes referred as PREWASH foam
  • Use foam, avoid the 2 or 3 bucket method
  • Effort put on washmitt is greatly reduces which inturn might leave no or less swirl marks
  • In a nutshell, its a little luxury/exensive affair that will reduce physical effort to a good extent

And a note about Megs Hyper Wash...It is not marketed as wax safe anywhere; so using Meg's hyperwash should put us back to reapplying polish & wax all over again.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 01:36   #647
Distinguished - BHPian

OK, so that agrees with my not-drying-out idea, and takes it further, into the idea of soaking the dirt. That seems like a possibility. There is stuff like bird droppings, and dust caught in greasy layer, that does not come off simply by pressure washing. Perhaps the mit/brush work is simpler after a foam soak.

Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 09:13   #648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurudatta Nayak View Post
I am been quoted 8.3k for Bosch AQT 35-12 by Eco Tech solutions - Bosch Authorized distributor with shipping and taxes.
Can anyone help me up with prices from Metro for the above model.
It will be 1500-2000/- lesser in Metro. But the challeng is that you might not get the same model.

- Not sure if there is a Metro in Goa.
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 10:12   #649
Team-BHP Support

Any feedback on the Makita power washers, they might be more reliable
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 10:24   #650
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Adi, sorry to poke my nose, a regular car shampoo will not be of much use to make the foam. To make a foam, you'll need this or similar product - http://www.meguiars.com/en/professio...01-hyper-wash/
No sweat, aargee. I know that car shampoo cannot make foam but I intended to ask if I needed to buy a detergent bottle separately to use the foam or shampoo solution.

So is the foam product which you have mentioned above available at regular 3M outlets or would I need to source this online? What is the mixing ratio with water and how much does this product cost?

Also you mentioned foam does not work well with hard water. Can i mix the foam and 3M car wash (shampoo) together and use it to make good foam? I understand the 3M car wash solution neutralizes the pH value of water (hard borewell water) making it softer (?). Please clarify. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
You need to buy a pipe, a connector and C clamps for using the pressure washer. The length of the pipe purely depends on what distance you prefer the unit from the tap. The recommended length is 5-6 meters. The pipe connects the Tap to the inlet of the pressure washer. C-Clamps will hold the pipe in place, and prevent the pipe from dislodging under pressure. This is available at any hardware store. Easy to source & DIY. Rest all is use out of the box.
Thanks a ton, Sir. Your post has been immensely helpful and the detailed info with comparisons between models definitely makes things easier for first time users. I will go ahead with the 2.xxx series. Just one small clarification on the above. I understand the pipe and c-clamps but could you explain the connector bit? Is this used to connect the pipe to the unit from the tap? Is this available in the box or has to be procured separately.

Also I understand the 2.xxx series has no foam/shampoo bottle so I need to buy the foam lance separately. Is this available at Metro or would I need to look for a distributor for sourcing this part? Apologies for so many questions.

Last edited by n_aditya : 10th September 2014 at 10:26.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 10:42   #651
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
So is the foam product which you have mentioned above available at regular 3M outlets or would I need to source this online? What is the mixing ratio with water and how much does this product cost?

Also you mentioned foam does not work well with hard water. Can i mix the foam and 3M car wash (shampoo) together and use it to make good foam? I understand the 3M car wash solution neutralizes the pH value of water (hard borewell water) making it softer (?). Please clarify. Thanks.
The product I was talking here is this - http://www.meguiars.co.in/product/288

Yes, 3M outlets will & should have it & online yes - http://www.autofresh.in/home/meguiar...62374-cat.html

Mixing ratio of car shampoo to make a foam...I doubt it will work; reason is same as can't use Pears soap for a bubble bath in bath tub. Hyperwash also has pH value, but it takes more than the standard mix (400:1 as mentioned). For instance, 1.5 inch or more with hard water. Say, it has to be trial & error with the TDS in the water.

PS - Google threw me this lol - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...guide-423.html

Last edited by aargee : 10th September 2014 at 10:43.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 10:47   #652
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Mixing ratio of car shampoo to make a foam...I doubt it will work; reason is same as can't use Pears soap for a bubble bath in bath tub. Hyperwash also has pH value, but it takes more than the standard mix (400:1 as mentioned).
I meant mixing the car shampoo and the hyperwash foam solution. Using car shampoo in the hyperwash to reduce hardness in water, if that actually works.

So what you're saying is that to get good foam with hard water, make it a slightly more concentrated mix. Right?
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 10:52   #653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I meant mixing the car shampoo and the hyperwash foam solution. Using car shampoo in the hyperwash to reduce hardness in water, if that actually works
Lol...nothing beats our Great India Juggad...nice idea, have to try that out once

Quote:
So what you're saying is that to get good foam with hard water, make it a slightly more concentrated mix. Right?
Yes, good foam...unfortunately in a country like ours, we can easily get economical Meguiars or check someone like BB or Greenzcare or UltimateDetailerz if they have one in GTechniq or Schollz, which are expensive.

What I mean is, we have very limited options here.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 17:24   #654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks a ton, Sir. Your post has been immensely helpful and the detailed info with comparisons between models definitely makes things easier for first time users. I will go ahead with the 2.xxx series. Just one small clarification on the above. I understand the pipe and c-clamps but could you explain the connector bit? Is this used to connect the pipe to the unit from the tap? Is this available in the box or has to be procured separately.

Also I understand the 2.xxx series has no foam/shampoo bottle so I need to buy the foam lance separately. Is this available at Metro or would I need to look for a distributor for sourcing this part? Apologies for so many questions.
  • Megs Hyperwash comes only in 3.78 litre quantity and it is best to source it online. The Product costs 2500-2700/- BUT - the dilution ratio is 1:400 so this 3.78 litre quantity would last you for years together.
  • Megs Hyperwash + Any car shampoo + Water, when mixed in the foam gun would give the best thickest foam. You would be more than happy with the foaming effect.
  • The simplest way to do it is be attaching the hose-pipe to the tap at one end and the machine at the other tend, using a C Clamp at either end as shown in the first picture. The second and third ones are easier to fit and aesthetically pleasing but it is very very difficult to source one in India. We need to hunt hard and still success in not guaranteed. Even if sourced, it doesnt turn out to be VFM product. I dont think the Unit comes with any pipe fittings on the inlet side. It is complete only on the outlet side.
  • In Fact - I dont think even the K7 offers foam bottle / foam gun as a part of the box. Mumbai Metro does not stock Karcher foam nozzle. I have not visited Bangalore Metro, so not sure. The best way to buy it is online for 1000/- . (CLICK HERE). It is also available on vikcy.in . Even if it was available at Metro, it would be hardly 100 less as this is a very slow moving item. 0.3 litre bottle is good enough for most cars for one round of application including Big ones like Skoda Superb and Toyota Fortuner. It might not be suficient for ML/GL SUVs or the S Class / BMW 7 Series / Audi Q7 and similar. IF you have a bigger car, then buy the 1 litre foam bottle for 2000/ -

- If you feel 3.78 litres of Megs hyperwash is too much, Split it into 4 portions and sell off the remaning 3 litres on our classified. 2700/4 = Rs 675.
Rs 675 for one litre of foam concenrate that can produce 400 litres of foam is a very good VFM proposition.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 10th September 2014 at 17:26.
scopriobharath is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 19:59   #655
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The simplest way to do it is be attaching the hose-pipe to the tap at one end and the machine at the other tend, using a C Clamp at either end as shown in the first picture. The second and third ones are easier to fit and aesthetically pleasing but it is very very difficult to source one in India. We need to hunt hard and still success in not guaranteed. Even if sourced, it doesnt turn out to be VFM product. I dont think the Unit comes with any pipe fittings on the inlet side. It is complete only on the outlet side.
Thanks a million again, Bharath.

So all i need to do is buy a hose pipe and 2 c clamps to fit the pipes onto the unit and the tap, right? No need of connector if i understood you correctly.

What about the water filter that some are talking about? Does the 2.xxx series come with one or should that be bought and installed separately?
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 20:22   #656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a million again, Bharath.

So all i need to do is buy a hose pipe and 2 c clamps to fit the pipes onto the unit and the tap, right? No need of connector if i understood you correctly.

What about the water filter that some are talking about? Does the 2.xxx series come with one or should that be bought and installed separately?
Anytime Aditya

Yes - you could buy any "fastener" be it a C Clamp as showin the pic with green hose or the next two, which are more fancy but difficult to source. The ONLY constraint on the C Clamp is that the hose will be permanently fastened (removal not easy - click/pull/release type) but the other connectors will facilitate easy removal.

Name:  hoseclamp.jpg
Views: 1014
Size:  96.9 KB

Name:  sellery.jpg
Views: 973
Size:  23.0 KB

Name:  tap.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  3.8 KB

Please buy the pressure washer first and then the hose-pipe so that we are sure that the diameter of the hose pipe fits the machine snugly.

I am not sure about the filter availability on the K2 series Box, but they can be sourced online very easily for 1000/-. (CLICK HERE). Filter is worth the money to prevent dirt and damage. Since the nozzle of the outlet is hardly the size of a pin-head, anydirt and particles will reduce the efficiency of the end accessory (Lance / brush).

Last edited by scopriobharath : 10th September 2014 at 20:23.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 22:43   #657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you feel 3.78 litres of Megs hyperwash is too much, Split it into 4 portions and sell off the remaning 3 litres on our classified. 2700/4 = Rs 675.
Rs 675 for one litre of foam concenrate that can produce 400 litres of foam is a very good VFM proposition.
This is no stupidity at all!! Infact an excellent idea!! Infact, that calls for a thread...why not start a thread for group purchase on detailing products?

Adi - If you're buying one, before even posting on the classifieds, please reserve 1/4th for me. I'll wire you the money.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2014, 16:10   #658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Any feedback on the Makita power washers, they might be more reliable

Go to posts #621, #622 & #625
alstonlobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2014, 09:26   #659
BHPian

Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

How about this one? Anyone out there who's tried the effectiveness:

http://www.groupon.co.in/deals/shopp...Jet-Gun/604653
aghosht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2014, 12:37   #660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurudatta Nayak View Post
I intending to purchase Bosch AQT 35-12 would appreciate your feedback. In Goa, Karcher Sales & Service is not available.
I think only Bosch and Black&Decker has service options in Goa. As per my experience B&D scores over the Bosch. I had purchased from flipkart. If you are based in Panaji, you can check out PINAKIN (near Municipal Garden). Another dealer is based in St. Inez near Vivanta
a_myth is offline   Reply With Quote