Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 26th June 2006, 17:04   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers
If this is possible, then why have Mahindra not thought about it. Can any one in this forum point examples of using a bigger turbo to get more power from the same engine??

Thanks in advance..

Why doesn't car companies do a lot of things from the factory to improve performance which petrolheads like us do to our cars later........ (Pssst.. maybe it's coz the bigger turbo won't spool as fast as a smaller one..hush don't tell anyone)

Quote:
That was some informative piece of getting more out of your turbocharger..and Scorpio. BTW, could you tell me how many people have you known to have done such mods..

Thoery is one and practicality is another..maybe this is what you tried to convey in your previous posts.
Everything starts out as a theory first then it becomes practical. I know quite well couple of persons who have turboed their esteems and how they went about it. And have been reading upon the subject for since quite a while as i have plans myself. I don't have any hands on experience i'm sorry :(

And why do you call the moderators so often and smash your head on the brick wall... lol
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2006, 22:56   #17
BHPian

@Rehaan.
Thanks a lot bro for clearing up things in a straight manner. And after all hearty replies of team folks I have found
1. Scorp is already a bad handler at high speed so doing something to increase power may not be a wise option as in it's stock form only the available power may be too much for the chasis or set up.
2. As PTB is not available for scorp yet and doing turbo modification seems a full engine building with so many if and buts I don't have much options anyway apart from adding a K&N filter but only a filter upgradation cann't do wonder for diesel engine at least won't justify the increased intake noise as suggested in other forums.
3. It's going to be my wife's car anyway and she drives SUV here (RAV4) so may not like idea of a car and she needs a diesel as her company is going to pay the fuel expenses for diesel only.
So either I have to make another choice though don't have much in the price range for SUVs or she has to manage with a sedan but as she has to travel places and in eastern India roads are not pretty good so am confused.

P.S. Just a humble request folks. Here everybody is trying to help me in the best way they can so please don't get personal aggravation for some comments. We all are car loving fraternity anyway.
sinhsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2006, 23:03   #18
BHPian

One more thing folks. After long discussion and with a big chance factor she kind of liked Scorp in passion red. (Probably all hubbys here know how big thing is that to get your wife to decide which one they want ). So Please let me know even the new scorp is scary to drive. She can manage big cars pretty good but a bit over speeding is her daily thing so driving a poor handling car won't be advisable. Or is there any upscale version is coming up with ABS AIRBAG and all? ABS with all round disc can do wonder to braking of SUVs. Handlibng is a issue though. So buying a moderate priced SUV is not a bread and butter thing yet in India.
Okie I am confused. Suggest me please.
Old 26th June 2006, 23:26   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

• 115 hp sounds low to anyone in the US, but the Scorp has plenty of torque to stay ahead of Indiantraffic.
  • If you do decide to go for it, I'd suggest you leave the engine alone. K/N will make it more noisy and clattery than it is.
  • Hyundai Tucson is much superior to the Scorpio in all respects regardless of what its image in the US may be.
  • Somehow I have a feeling your wife will end up hiring a driver after trying to drive initially. Driving an RAV4 auto (I'm assuming) in the US is a lot different than driving a Scorpio manual in Indian traffic. If I were you, I'd get her a Honda City auto, but since it has to be a diesel then maybe Fiesta Tdci for self drive or Innova for chauffer driven.

Last edited by Mpower : 26th June 2006 at 23:28.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2006, 00:21   #20
BHPian

@MPower
Nice point bro. If she agrees to hire a driver everything will fall into place. I know that but who wants a WWIII under one roof. All questions of woman liberation male shovinism and what not will arise. So may god give her good senses. I tried to drive once in kolkata after 5 years here in USA and it was pretty bad experience for me to say the least though there was a time jab mera blue UNO hawa se baatein karta tha. I felt kind of depressed and uprooted but let's not get nostalgic.
And CIVIC and fiesta obviously good option ( but what about Indian car thingy) and anyway city is too low to travel the places she has to and fiesta is not that much high ground clearance either.
Actually her car has to be able to go to all places ( She is in construction planning) she loves to take lot of friends while partying show needs to have space to carry ladies in comfort and has to be trouble free as she herself is enough (SHHHHHHH).
Is bolero good?
And yes again may be she will her hire a driver after trying a while....
Old 27th June 2006, 03:19   #21
BHPian

How come no ones mentioned the Tata Safari...true blue Indian SUV all the way!!! They've even revised the pricing across the range. If my memory serves me well,the prices of the Scorpio and Safari do overlap over some models.

Suhail
swale84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2006, 13:35   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
  • 115 hp sounds low to anyone in the US, but the Scorp has plenty of torque to stay ahead of Indiantraffic.
  • If you do decide to go for it, I'd suggest you leave the engine alone. K/N will make it more noisy and clattery than it is.
  • Hyundai Tucson is much superior to the Scorpio in all respects regardless of what its image in the US may be.
  • Somehow I have a feeling your wife will end up hiring a driver after trying to drive initially. Driving an RAV4 auto (I'm assuming) in the US is a lot different than driving a Scorpio manual in Indian traffic. If I were you, I'd get her a Honda City auto, but since it has to be a diesel then maybe Fiesta Tdci for self drive or Innova for chauffer driven.
Totally agree with all of that.

I was going to suggest the fiesta tdci myself as soon as i read that she required a diesel.
It can seat 4 comfortably, but more than that it gets a bit cramped as it is a rather small (narrow) car.

I had come to the same conclusion of your wife eventually hiring a driver, and thats why i was against the scorpio as the ride at the back could be termed as naseau-inducing by some.
Also, if your wife tends to drive too fast, thats scary in an Indian context. In the US, the worst that could happen is that you get a speeding ticket. In India, its a lot more dangerous than that.

As for the "off-road" requirement of the car, on a hunch i would say that a sedan could do whatever it is your wife needs.

And lastly, the Safari.... that might actually be a good option (though it still is massive in terms of parking etc).... I still need to check out the new pricing as an innova purchase is upcoming for my dad...

cya
R

ps - "passion red" hurts my eyes!!!

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th June 2006 at 13:38.
Rehaan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2006, 13:58   #23
rks
BANNED

I second Hyundai Tucson or Honda CRV, if the budget permits. Otherwise go for a big sedan as suggested earlier -- makes much more sense than a Scorpio on Indian roads.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2006, 15:10   #24
Senior - BHPian

I would say the Innova could also be a good choice. It's diesel, spacious,easy to drive, has pretty good interiors, very good NVH (especially compared to the Scorpio), can seat 8 in comfort and will be very reliable too. Also I think it will be able transverse whatever terrain your wife might be visiting with ease and if she hires a driver then she will thank you for the good amount of legroom in the back.

Only issue I can see is that the looks are not to everyone's tastes.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2006, 03:41   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Innova+Driver=peace of mind

If image and off road comfort is a requirement, then Safari+Driver it is.

Both these vehicles will be a handful for self drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
I had come to the same conclusion of your wife eventually hiring a driver, and thats why i was against the scorpio as the ride at the back could be termed as naseau-inducing by some.
You can say that again buddy. Was in Kerla recently and had a rental Scorpio (1st gen). Had to ride from Cochin airport to Kumarakom. The combination of choppy roads, the scorpio had me slmost throwing up at the end of the trip.

Last edited by Mpower : 28th June 2006 at 03:58.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2006, 13:56   #26
Senior - BHPian

The Scorpio is good fun to drive..but not be driven in. It needs some sensible inputs from the driver to have fun..I would imagine that the leaf springs at the rear contribute to that handling.. Have to check the new scorpio with Coil spring rears..the handling has improved but not something you could rave about was what i read..

Check out the Tucson / terracan / Safari..etc.. Test drive each of these to decide whether you like it or not..

I believe the Tata Safari and Scorpio has good road presence..but not much power..

They are good to sidetrack your unruly autorikshaws..
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2006, 15:11   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Have to check the new scorpio with Coil spring rears..the handling has improved but not something you could rave about was what i read..
Have sat at the back of both, (as well as driven them both)
Old scorpio - I was bordering on nausea after a 5minute drive sitting at the back
New scorpio - I had a mild headache after the 5 min drive sitting at the back.

And do note that this was going down marine drive, which is rather straight!

The new scorpio is powerful, O K fit and finnish, decent/nice interiors and nice to drive........ but when you are a passenger at the back in an otherwise unloaded car....ugh.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 29th June 2006 at 15:20.
Rehaan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2006, 17:49   #28
BHPian

As everyone is entitled to an opinion, here is mine..

For every one here, who had a headache , nausea after 5 minutes in Scorpio, you will find 10 who own one and enjoy driving it.. Infact in one of the earlier posts, one had a permanent backache after 20 minutes of drive , and he was driving a SUV for the first time ..and the earlier car was a maruti 800!!... there are very few scorpio owners here who have actually owned / driven one for a long time..

Scoprio is the favourite punching bag here.. latest example..Nissan x trail crash pictures..and some one had to say if it was scorpio every one would be dead..as if every other SUV/car sold in India is crash tested and has a 5 star euro ncap rating !! there are plenty of similar examples..

Scorpio has its -ve points and also has many more +ve points in its favour.It is not a perfect SUV...

Scorpio does not handle like Sedan or a sports car..period. NO Suv does. All SUVs behave in a different way at extreme conditions, all over the world..see this link

http://www.suvrollovernews.com/

This forum has its holy cows.. Fialt Palio and OHC Vtec for example..So even the anaemic NHC with 70 BHP is a great car here..and also has some brands which can never do anythig right.. Mahindra for example..

So my suggestion would be ,take a test drive of all vehicles when you are here and then decide..

( btw.. I have driven more than 20,000 KMs in 3 different scorpios so far..no headache, nausea, backache yet.. )

Peace.
w 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2006, 18:10   #29
BHPian

The scorpio's engine is gr8, and does not requires any modifications... however its handling is not that gr8 at speeds above 80kmph. The newer version with coil springs does improves the bumpy ride at the back, but handling has not improved much...
If it has to be an SUV than go for the scorpio (with the handling problem in mind....)

else a better option is the Innova diesel. The NVH levels are minimalist, the seats are extremely comfortable, handles like a sedan and the overall quality and finish is also good.

I myself have a scorpio crde and love to drive it arnd...but when i ve to be driven, i prefer the innova's comfortable back seat
smats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2006, 18:16   #30
BHPian

I completely agree with w 12! I own a scorpio and have clocked over 25K. Agreed the Scorpio has handling problems but there is a way to drive this vehicle. I've done close to 800Kms in a single day, touched close to 150Kmph and have not felt any discomfort. I'm not supporting Scorpio here coz I own one.. am only saying that one needs to be clear about what you are driving and what to expect out of it and no vehicle will be disappointing.
Many people here own or have driven Safari (old one). Honestly that vehicle is superb to drive only on the high-way. In city it is not as nimble as the Scorpio. So does that make it a bad vehicle? Wouldn't Safari users adapt their driving to match the Safari in city?
BTW, many people have spoken about the lack of safety in a Scorpio... but have you seen / heard about accidents which would've never occured with another (safe) vehicle?
Scorpio is not perfect... no vechicle is or will ever be. It is a continuous process of improvement.
If one does not like / cannot adapt to the Scorpio way, then there are many options which might fit the bill. Go ahead, drive it and make your decision.

When I purchased my Scorpio I had to consider the following....
1. Budget (could afford only 8L)
2. Needed a vehicle that could ferry atleast 7 people atleast twice a week
3. Maintenance and spares had to be cheap.
4. Wanted something that would be easy to drive and park in the city and can also be taken out on long runs once a month.
5. Had to be diesel.
6. Had to be fairly new and not an outdated model.
Now with the above requirement the obvious answer was the scorpio! (Innova was yet to be launched)
madhav is offline   Reply With Quote