Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2006, 05:27   #1
BHPian
 
sinhsha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 169
Thanked: 71 Times
Question New Scorpio CRDe Mod

Hi everybody,
I am living in USA but my wife is going to stay two years in India. I am going to buy a new red Scorpio SLX for her. But 116 BHP is not very exciting for her. I found in TBHP that significant power increase can be done by using K&N filter and Pete's Tuning box.
Now I am not a diesel guru. I want to know if there is any plug and play PTB(Pete's tuning box) for scorpio and how that thing works. There website doesn't show all current information. What is the cost and what is the power increase. Regarding K&N filter I think I can find better deal here in USA but don't know which type or which model to buy. Should I buy box type cone type or types that come with fitment and pipes.
Putting the alloys would make any difference.
I am bit concerned though as this thing doesn't have even driver airbag and ABS.
Anyway she will be located in kolkata.
All my hearty thanks in advance buddies.
sinhsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2006, 09:32   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
cooldude1988765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,005
Thanked: 106 Times
Default

I am not too sure if pete's is available for the scorpio.
It is better you buy the stock replacement filter in India as there will be a specific model for different vehicles.
Why dont you consider a tuscon (if budget permits) with a k&n and pete's(if it is available). It will ROCK !!!
cooldude1988765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2006, 10:48   #3
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: KL
Posts: 4,680
Thanked: 3,508 Times
Default

Petes box aint available for the Scorpio.
You can go for K&N conical filter.
How about upgrading the turbo for some more power? Either increase the boost or go for a bigger turbo.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2006, 12:35   #4
BHPian
 
diven_b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 213
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

i think cooldude is right...the tuning box is available for the hyudai tuscon,and u can get the power up from 112 to 137 hp...+ the conical filter...pretty good...it retalis at 15 lakhs though....
diven_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2006, 17:24   #5
BHPian
 
furioussphinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 536
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diven_b
i think cooldude is right...the tuning box is available for the hyudai tuscon,and u can get the power up from 112 to 137 hp...+ the conical filter...pretty good...it retalis at 15 lakhs though....

yea man, the Tuscon is an amazing ride! If ur budget permits, go for it. For info regarding Tuscon , get in touch with Insane Devil, he owns one.

BTW guys how about Honda CRV????
furioussphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2006, 19:56   #6
BHPian
 
sinhsha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 169
Thanked: 71 Times
Default

@ Sankar
How about upgrading the turbo for some more power? Either increase the boost or go for a bigger turbo.
But would that be reliable? Upgrading manufacturer's turbo is not very lucrative idea in my opinion. BTW does anybody knows about any shop who does decent upgrade job of scorpio turbo in eastern india?
sinhsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2006, 20:03   #7
BHPian
 
sinhsha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 169
Thanked: 71 Times
Default

Hey folks,
This team is awesome. I appreciate all hearty replies and again got confirmed east or west India is the best.
Regarding Tuscan ...it may be a good choice and with a little stretching of budget it is possible to buy one may be won't be able to spend on mod then but personally I hate Hyundai. I have driven sonata, elantra, santa fe, XG all on rental. I think may be my personal opinion hyundais don't have any character. They may make good VFM packages but I am sure any car freak would enjoy hyundai as the last option. Correct me if I am wrong.
Personally I found even a FIAT hatchback(I had a FIAT UNO when I was in college in India) is better (in driving fun) option than a hyundai sedan.
And above all after all these days driving all foreign vehicles my wife wants to drive an Indian car at least through her India tenure.
Sorry folks for long reply.
sinhsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2006, 21:25   #8
BHPian
 
furioussphinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 536
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Then dude Scorpio is your Jeep or errr her??? ........ The Bolero is good for off road, but since u prefer apna desi , i think Scorpio is a go. Surely now all the gurus here will help u decide well. all the best bro.
furioussphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2006, 22:37   #9
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default

Just drive a Scorp and see. Its scary at high speeds, when u take sharp turns, even minor ones and hence teh Tuscon's better. I heard that the indian hyundai's are of better make though a bit underpowered taht wht you get to drive ther.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2006, 09:03   #10
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: KL
Posts: 4,680
Thanked: 3,508 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
Just drive a Scorp and see. Its scary at high speeds, when u take sharp turns, even minor ones and hence teh Tuscon's better. I heard that the indian hyundai's are of better make though a bit underpowered taht wht you get to drive ther.
I'm damn sure that the Hyundai's available there would be a lot better in quality than the ones we get here. Hyundai is trying to capture a good market share in North America and they're not gonna do it if they sell cars of lower quality than the ones we get in India.

@sinhsha: As others have said the scorpio isn't a good handler at all, the main problem with the vehicle lies in it's highspeed braking and handling dynamics.

A bigger turbo if it's installed with proper engineering then it would be reliable. It also might be possible to get the boost levels increased with the stock turbo.

Last edited by Sankar : 26th June 2006 at 09:10.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2006, 12:37   #11
Team-BHP Support
 
Rehaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 22,381
Thanked: 22,602 Times
Default

Sinhsha,

Firstly, why does your wife want a scorpio ??
- Because its made in India
- Because of the "SUV" school of thought (like in the US)
- Because its safer (SUV)
- Because its bigger
- Because its more comfortable

Let me tell you that apart from the "made in india", nothing else holds true.
- Its not safer (atleast not at high speeds)
- It is bigger, but thats only a pain when it comes to parking etc
- As a passenger the scorpio suspension leaves MUCH to be desired.

I would suggest a re-think, unless you have some other criteria for chosing the scorpio....

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2006, 13:48   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 454 Times
Default Hyundai Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar
I'm damn sure that the Hyundai's available there would be a lot better in quality than the ones we get here. Hyundai is trying to capture a good market share in North America and they're not gonna do it if they sell cars of lower quality than the ones we get in India.

@sinhsha: As others have said the scorpio isn't a good handler at all, the main problem with the vehicle lies in it's highspeed braking and handling dynamics.
Firstly, I doubt whether Hyundai has dual standards on Quality..So that Q of the cars from the HMIL plant at Chennai is "World Class"..


And all this talk of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar
A bigger turbo if it's installed with proper engineering then it would be reliable. It also might be possible to get the boost levels increased with the stock turbo.
is plain rubbish..sorry folks we need to talk specifics and not generics..

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images...rustration.gif


I often find many people suggesting we could do this and that...I'm sure some moderators and TBHPians agree.

And no offense to you Sankar, but you gotta be more informed before making statements..
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2006, 15:52   #13
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: KL
Posts: 4,680
Thanked: 3,508 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers
Firstly, I doubt whether Hyundai has dual standards on Quality..So that Q of the cars from the HMIL plant at Chennai is "World Class"..
I would suggest you to understand what i really meant. I meant the quality of the Hyundai cars which is sold in the USA or Europe is no way going to be inferior to what we get here. The chances are that the quality would be way better than what we get here. Haven't you heard about "Export Quality"

It was my response to:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
I heard that the indian hyundai's are of better make though a bit underpowered taht wht you get to drive ther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers
And all this talk of is plain rubbish..sorry folks we need to talk specifics and not generics..

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images...rustration.gif


I often find many people suggesting we could do this and that...I'm sure some moderators and TBHPians agree.

And no offense to you Sankar, but you gotta be more informed before making statements..
Lol... then why didn't you try to explain to him what could be really done, instead of cribbing on what i said.

It is possible for the scorpio to take a bigger turbo with a higher boost. But with higher boost the engine reliability might suffer, there's a chance for detonation if the boost level is too much for the stock engine internals. For the engine to perform reliably with higher boost the compression should be reduced which can be done by lowcomp pistons or decomp headgaskets. And it's also advised that you upgrade the intercooler to a bigger one for efficient cooling of the charge. If you're going for a new turbo then you 'might' have to change your exhaust manifold. Then injectors as the a/f ratio is critical. The crdi has fairly high injection pressures, but when boosting the pressure might not be enough so it could be required that you change the pump and the common rail.

Before you'd want to go for a bigger turbo, consult with the tuner (our experienced members would be able to guide you with finding a capable tuner) and see if the turbo change is necessary, power gains would be possible with the stock turbo. The boost can be increased by tweaking the wastegate. Mild increase in boost can often be made without major mods to the engine.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2006, 16:37   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 454 Times
Default

That was some informative piece of getting more out of your turbocharger..and Scorpio. BTW, could you tell me how many people have you known to have done such mods..

Thoery is one and practicality is another..maybe this is what you tried to convey in your previous posts.
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2006, 16:41   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 454 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sankar

It is possible for the scorpio to take a bigger turbo with a higher boost. But with higher boost the engine reliability might suffer, there's a chance for detonation if the boost level is too much for the stock engine internals. For the engine to perform reliably with higher boost the compression should be reduced which can be done by lowcomp pistons or decomp headgaskets. And it's also advised that you upgrade the intercooler to a bigger one for efficient cooling of the charge. If you're going for a new turbo then you 'might' have to change your exhaust manifold. Then injectors as the a/f ratio is critical. The crdi has fairly high injection pressures, but when boosting the pressure might not be enough so it could be required that you change the pump and the common rail.

Before you'd want to go for a bigger turbo, consult with the tuner (our experienced members would be able to guide you with finding a capable tuner) and see if the turbo change is necessary, power gains would be possible with the stock turbo. The boost can be increased by tweaking the wastegate. Mild increase in boost can often be made without major mods to the engine.
If this is possible, then why have Mahindra not thought about it. Can any one in this forum point examples of using a bigger turbo to get more power from the same engine??

Thanks in advance..
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scorpio 2.6 T vs Scorpio 2.6 CRDe engine comparison Mohnish SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 20 6th February 2013 11:20
Help me choose a used Scorpio 2.6 SLX / Scorpio 2.6 DX CRDe gbpscars SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 33 28th July 2008 16:17
Scorpio SLX CRDE or Wait for Scorpio Eagle or Used Elantra or Wait for Skoda Fabia ? dharmu99 Hatchbacks 9 25th October 2007 12:22
New Safari Dicor Or New Scorpio Crde ? ramkya1 SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 1 18th May 2007 16:53
crde vs non crde trinadha The Indian Car Scene 8 7th March 2006 11:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:21.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks