Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2014, 13:27   #46
BHPian
 
~ H O N D A ~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 171
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: LED Headlamp Bulbs are here! The end of HID?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Whats your alternator capacity?
120W is approx 10A
I think 10A extra should be fine.
Thanks. i was watching your video on CREE and got your reply

Quote:
However remember
1. Try and buy something with 10W each LED. So 12LED single row bar is good
Its a 3W Led in Double Row 40*3W

Quote:
2. You can buy 2*60W bars, these will be more compact, and easier to mount at two different locations.
Good suggestion but it will be difficult to mount in 2 different place in a verna fludic,

Quote:
3. Make sure whatever you buy in light bar series is "spot beam". LEDs have good spread anyways, spot beam is best. Flood will just blind everyone without showing you much road
It is a combination Flood & Spot

Quote:
4. Also get a Bar which is IP67 atleast.
Yes its a IP67

Quote:
5. Make sure your bar has reflectors + lens combo. In single row series, this combo is the best.
This i will have to check.

Quote:
6. A 60W bar non branded generic manufacturer should not cost more than 65 USD for 60W, and 120 USD for 120W.
Pricing Ex China is
40W (4*10W)= 40$
80W (8*10W)= 80$

Last edited by ~ H O N D A ~ : 12th February 2014 at 13:31. Reason: mistakes..
~ H O N D A ~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 13:30   #47
BHPian
 
~ H O N D A ~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 171
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: LED Headlamp Bulbs are here! The end of HID?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
If you connect it directly to battery with a separate switch and relay it can easily take till 150 watts

But trust me 120W will be insane . It will blind everyone on road and you can get pulled over by cops and fined
Thanks.

i am planning to use only on highways and will install under the registration between both fog laps so the beam focas will remain on the road i think
~ H O N D A ~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 13:36   #48
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,646 Times
Default Re: LED Headlamp Bulbs are here! The end of HID?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ H O N D A ~ View Post
Thanks. i was watching your video on CREE and got your reply


Its a 10W Led in Double Row 40*3W
I meant single LED emitter should be 10W. 5W is also okay if you get it from a good brand. 3W... well you will have a lot of spread and not much throw. You are going to china buddy. Trust me, you will find good 10W/led or 5W/led stuff if you scout hard enough. But its a jungle out there. depends how much time you are willing to spend. Set aside a full day

Quote:
Good suggestion but it will be difficult to mount in 2 different place in a verna fludic,
Get single 120W then. 12 LEDs, 10W each and you are all set. A normal average mfr should give you this for 120-130 USD.

Quote:
It is a combination Flood & Spot
Take Spot, trust me


Quote:
Pricing Ex China is
40W (4*10W)= 40$
80W (8*10W)= 80$
If you can find 120W (12 LEDs 10W each) for 120 USD, go for it buddy. Do not hesitate to pay 10-20$ more.

To tell good quality from bad do the following

1. Ask them to switch on the bar. Stand towards the side, away from the beam. The brighter it appears, the more the scatter, the worse it is
2. Inspect the mounting. all claim stainless steel. Make sure it is stainless steel. If you see even the slightest amount of rust run away. Ideally go through the vendor, and try looking for "old" pieces.
3. Inspect the cooling fins. Thick fins usually indicate less efficiency and a low cost product. High end stuff has thin well defined fins which give you excellent cooling
4. Inspect the way wire is attached to the light. A visual inspection will give you nice idea
5. If you are getting a deal too good to be true, its probably is.
6. Where exactly are you going to china. Which province.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 13:46   #49
BHPian
 
~ H O N D A ~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 171
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: LED Headlamp Bulbs are here! The end of HID?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I meant single LED emitter should be 10W. 5W is also okay if you get it from a good brand. 3W... well you will have a lot of spread and not much throw. You are going to china buddy. Trust me, you will find good 10W/led or 5W/led stuff if you scout hard enough. But its a jungle out there. depends how much time you are willing to spend. Set aside a full day
Sorry it was a mistake. its a 3w*20 leds have corrected my post already.

Quote:
Get single 120W then. 12 LEDs, 10W each and you are all set. A normal average mfr should give you this for 120-130 USD.

Take Spot, trust me


If you can find 120W (12 LEDs 10W each) for 120 USD, go for it buddy. Do not hesitate to pay 10-20$ more.
Noted Thanks.


Quote:
To tell good quality from bad do the following

1. Ask them to switch on the bar. Stand towards the side, away from the beam. The brighter it appears, the more the scatter, the worse it is
2. Inspect the mounting. all claim stainless steel. Make sure it is stainless steel. If you see even the slightest amount of rust run away. Ideally go through the vendor, and try looking for "old" pieces.
3. Inspect the cooling fins. Thick fins usually indicate less efficiency and a low cost product. High end stuff has thin well defined fins which give you excellent cooling
4. Inspect the way wire is attached to the light. A visual inspection will give you nice idea
5. If you are getting a deal too good to be true, its probably is.
6. Where exactly are you going to china. Which province.
Noted.
Will be going to Guangzhou (this is a big auto parts city)
also will be going to Zhejiang
~ H O N D A ~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 14:02   #50
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,646 Times
Default Re: LED Headlamp Bulbs are here! The end of HID?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ H O N D A ~ View Post
Will be going to Guangzhou (this is a big auto parts city)
also will be going to Zhejiang
Aah Guangzhou. Yes you will find good stuff there.
Lots of decent manufacturers there. Try going direct to mfr setup.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 14:08   #51
BHPian
 
~ H O N D A ~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 171
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: LED Headlamp Bulbs are here! The end of HID?

Saw your post on CREE Led (actually this discussion should have been there anyways)

your image shows a 200W Combo LED with a very narrow throw i am confused its a Combo or a Spot Led Bar

If its a Spot then don't you think i should go for a Combo setup to get a well lit road

What do you suggest?
~ H O N D A ~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 14:29   #52
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,646 Times
Default Re: LED Headlamp Bulbs are here! The end of HID?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ H O N D A ~ View Post
Saw your post on CREE Led (actually this discussion should have been there anyways)

your image shows a 200W Combo LED with a very narrow throw i am confused its a Combo or a Spot Led Bar

If its a Spot then don't you think i should go for a Combo setup to get a well lit road

What do you suggest?
Hi Vikram
I have done two reviews till date
60W ovals (2 lights 60W each oval shape)
And the 60W combo light bar review. Most of the cheaper combo bars simply put diffused glass. With a 120W long bar(20" or so) you will see even in spot you will get great spread. Combo has 4 LEDs in flood(diffused or otherwise) and just scatter light here there)
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2014, 01:40   #53
BHPian
 
jfxavier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Kollam, Kerala
Posts: 779
Thanked: 1,262 Times
Default Re: LED Headlamp Bulbs are here! The end of HID?

I came across this replacement LED headlamps from canada.
Maybe the experienced people could comment on the possibilities after checking out the link below.

http://www.hidvisioncanada.com/led-1...9006-9007.html

Almost all common types available. Worth checking out I thought.
Some of the details as per their site as below.

CREE LED - The latest CREE-CXA1512. 2 CREE chips per bulb.
BRIGHTNESS: 1800lm to 3200lm per bulb.
COLOR: 6000K.
BULB - Total lumen output with both high or low beam ON is 1800LM per bulb. 360° beam angle. 30,000 hrs life span.
POWER: 50W
BULB LENGTHS: 7.5 cm or 8.0 cm (H7 bulb), all others are 8.0 cm
FAN - Headlight fan has a life-span with 25000 hours, 12000 turns/minute for reliable heat dissipation performance. If the fan stops working, the driver will automatically enter heat protection state and reduce current, or turn off completely.
DRIVER - Waterproof driver with IP65 rating. Internal constant current CPU with over-heat protection and fan-failure setup protection for reliability.
INPUT VOLTAGE: 12V-24V
MIN TESTED DRL VOLTAGE: 3V
POWER DRAW: 2.2 Amps (1.55 Amps for 880, H1, H3 bulbs)
CONNECTORS - Waterproof connectors with IP65 rating.
Attached Images
  
jfxavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2014, 10:41   #54
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,646 Times
Default Re: LED Headlamp Bulbs are here! The end of HID?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfxavier View Post
I came across this replacement LED headlamps from canada.
Maybe the experienced people could comment on the possibilities after checking out the link below..
The Cree chip listed below is an Array, which means a large surface area. In a custom designed reflector, this would rock. Infact, a single bulb will output max 2200 lumens.
With 2, you can potentially go ro 4400 lumens.

However, to drive at that power you need a massive heatsink. So if you have this in a LED light bar with custom optics, very good, but when its inside your headlamp, I suspect they are driving it to just around 1200 lumens.

Secondly, reflector design of your car is for small point sources, not for a massive array. So most of the light will be scattered.

To sum it up, if you are talking about range, then its not very useful. For this price, you can get a good quality bar.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2015, 18:22   #55
BHPian
 
Ushuaia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 162
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: LED Headlamp Bulbs are here! The end of HID?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ H O N D A ~ View Post

Good suggestion but it will be difficult to mount in 2 different place in a verna fludic,
Whichever light you buy ask them for 2 things. one is a black plexi cover for covering the light when not in use (Some Highway Cops are too rigid about this). and a flush mount template for your light. As Tanveer suggests go for good 10w config preferably in spot. Since in Spot too there is usefull spill. Flood can cause white-out sometimes due to poorly designed diffusion. Name:  rigid_industries_led_mesh_grilles_toyota_tacoma.jpg
Views: 5826
Size:  85.8 KB
Ushuaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2015, 18:39   #56
BHPian
 
Ushuaia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 162
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: LED Headlamp Bulbs are here! The end of HID?

Like others I too had a dilemma about aux lights. Wanted to keep portability in mind, like shifting them to a bike for long rides etc. hence decided against a single light bar setup. Instead got 2 Rigid Industries Dually D2 Hyper-spot. Best part is its collimator beam. Output's been amazing, at 3.7" (Cube) each, 3400 Lumens, two of these are enough to cast a 500m + beam on typical offroad. Since its collimator output the spot is too tight to the point it acts like projectors.

Name:  Rigid D2 Dually Hyperspot.jpg
Views: 5915
Size:  20.5 KB

Will post beam pics soon.
Ushuaia is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2015, 17:10   #57
BHPian
 
Pankaj_Ahlawat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Delhi
Posts: 141
Thanked: 75 Times
Default Re: LED Headlamp Bulbs are here! The end of HID?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushuaia View Post
Like others I too had a dilemma about aux lights. Wanted to keep portability in mind, like shifting them to a bike for long rides etc. hence decided against a single light bar setup. Instead got 2 Rigid Industries Dually D2 Hyper-spot. Best part is its collimator beam. Output's been amazing, at 3.7" (Cube) each, 3400 Lumens, two of these are enough to cast a 500m + beam on typical offroad. Since its collimator output the spot is too tight to the point it acts like projectors.

Attachment 1335605

Will post beam pics soon.
Saw it on youtube, amazing product, how did you procure it and what is the cost, pls post some pictures
Pankaj_Ahlawat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2015, 12:59   #58
BHPian
 
Ushuaia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 162
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pankaj_Ahlawat View Post
Saw it on youtube, amazing product, how did you procure it and what is the cost, pls post some pictures
Pankaj I got it from US. There guys in Bangalore who have these but they charge 24k per light.

I got these
LED Headlamp Bulbs are here! The end of HID?-1427441301476.jpg
for 27k inclusive of 6k customs clearance for a pair. Later due to exchange rate change got a refund of 3k from Delhi customs. Took 2 days for clearance but its worthwhile. Don't have a lot of pics but these are 2 of them.

The beam shot of the wall is at 250 meters. Running a bit tight due to work. Will post better ones. Also worth looking are d2 driving lights. These cast a 30degree wide beam and can replace the existing HL easily.
LED Headlamp Bulbs are here! The end of HID?-1427441329851.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 4th June 2015 at 00:33. Reason: Post edited. Image added in post.
Ushuaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 22:05   #59
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 30
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: LED Headlamp Bulbs are here! The end of HID?

Philips Ultinon and Xtreme Ultinon car LED lights have now made an entry into India. Philips India website now displays the options available, though these are limited to T10 sockets only at present.

After dilly-dallying for long, I have taken the plunge, and ordered the latest ETI (automobile) chip based H4 headlamps from AliExpress. These are supposed to be fanless designs. I am waiting for their arrival. The seller has a video on YouTube about the product, which seems interesting.



I have ordered for replacement LED bulbs for the rest of the car lighting as well. My colour choice for the bulbs has been 6000K white. The results so far have been mixed. The 38 m.m, festoon light inside provides a very pleasant white glow, while the LED brake-lights I have got provide very dim lighting. I have been told to order more powerful, red LED bulbs (660 n.m. wavelength red) for the brake lights instead of white, and was told that matching the colour of the bulb with the plastic casing colour is very important in case of LED bulbs.. I accordingly re-ordered the brake light bulbs, and am waiting for the 120 SMD, red ones. For the fig-lights, I have chosen H27, 11 watt, white ones with built-in lenses, but am yet to install them. For the reverse light, I have similarly chosen T10 ones with 6000K white light. I am leaving the indicator lights as they are, as their use is only intermittent, and replacing the stock ones with LEDs caused problems for some others. For licence plate and parking lights too, I am opting for 6000K white LEDs.

I will post the results here once the change over is completed.
kspv is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2015, 11:54   #60
BHPian
 
anirbanm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Noida
Posts: 26
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: LED Headlamp Bulbs are here! The end of HID?

What is the cost and where does one get it in Delhi ?
Secondly are cops very stringent towards such lights even if one does not use them in City condiitions.
anirbanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car names - end in vowels now, used to end in consonants. Any reason? SS-Traveller Shifting gears 50 4th September 2012 17:02
High-end head phones VS High-end Speakers low_bass_makker In-Car Entertainment 43 30th July 2012 20:39
Road Trip–2700 KMs Europe & 3380 KMS UK + end-to-end. ramkya1 Travelogues 177 26th June 2010 14:54
HID lighting query re bulbs whatcanthisbe Modifications & Accessories 20 7th March 2010 09:06


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:34.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks